Allbull (Read 3841 times)
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Allbull
May 17th, 2008 at 6:20am

Subject: Allbull post id: 3583838

...said that solar power would never be able to provide baseload electricity in order to trick the Australian electorate into believing Nuclear Power/Waste was the only option.

He shared this lie with John Howard to Kerry O'Brien and the nation on camera.

It was all bullshit!

Is he really The Liberal Partys best shot at the next election?

The Liberal Party looks dead to me!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Allbull
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2008 at 8:54am

Who are you talking about?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:11am

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 8:54am:
Who are you talking about?

Sir Malcolm!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:18am

Any idea what he actually said?

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 2:50pm

JONATHAN HOLMES: An agreement with at least one major Californian utility will be signed within weeks, they claim. Within three years, they expect to build a one gigawatt plant - more than three times bigger than the plants in the Mojave Desert. It'll cover thirty square kilometres of ground. A solar plant of that scale, David Mills claims, could make some of the cheapest electricity in America.

DR DAVID MILLS, CHAIRMAN, AUSRA INC.: If we build them small, they're very expensive. If we build them big, they're very cheap. So we expect that by the gigawatt scale these plants... I mean, it just pops out of the spreadsheets. These plants will be simply the same price in terms of electricity per kilowatt hour that a normal coal plant is in the United States.

JONATHAN HOLMES: All very well, say the sceptics. But solar power, even on a massive scale, can't offer base-load electricity, 24 hours a day.

JOHN HOWARD, PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA: Solar is a nice, easy, soft answer. There's this vague idea in the community that solar doesn't cost anything and it can solve the problem. It can't. It can't replace base-load power generation by power stations.

JONATHAN HOLMES: Mills and Khosla aim to prove that wrong. The technology to store heat, and release it later, so that solar stations can produce base-load power, is just around the corner they claim.

DR DAVID MILLS, CHAIRMAN, AUSRA INC.: Turns out this is actually quite easy to do. So we're very active in this. We'll be offering commercial storage systems up to, say, 24 hours within a year.

JONATHAN HOLMES: Up to 24 hours?

DR DAVID MILLS, CHAIRMAN, AUSRA INC.: Hm-hm.

VINOD KHOSLA, KHOSLA VENTURES: That's what's so exciting about David Mills' technology. It is the first thing I've seen in renewable power that can both meet the utilities requirements and meet the cost targets to be competitive and spread rapidly.

JONATHAN HOLMES: The potential for solar power in the vast deserts of Australia is almost unlimited. But David Mills has no plans to build here yet - not until the energy policy changes. "Neither solar thermal, nor any other low-emission technology", he says, "can compete with the artificially low price of Australian coal".

DR DAVID MILLS, CHAIRMAN, AUSRA INC.: Right now they're running coal plants, really at the marginal cost of the fuel, in Australia, not planning for the future and not factoring in the cost of new coal plant in that price. And, it means that a nuclear plant cannot compete with three cent coal, coal generation, a carbon sequestration coal plant cannot compete with that. So to get any of these clean technologies in, you're going to have to have a new price structure for clean energy.

source: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2007/s1898635.htm

*I'm still looking for the four corners interview with Malcolm Turnbull sharing "the lie"...but here is something relatively close for now!

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:22pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 6:20am:

The next Election is at least 2 and a half years away. Anything could happen between now and then. Grin

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:22pm

*Beg Pardon, the interviewer was Matt Peacock...

MATT PEACOCK: The coal and nuclear industries have long asserted that base load power can't be supplied by renewable energy, a mantra repeated by our politicians.

MALCOLM TURNBULL, MINISTER, ENVIRONMENT & WATER RESOURCES : You cannot run a modern economy on wind farms and solar powers. It's a pity that you can't, but you can't.

JOHN HOWARD, PRIME MINISTER: Solar is a nice, easy soft answer. There's this vague idea in the community that solar doesn't cost anything and it can solve the problem. It can't. It can't replace base load power generation by power stations.

MATT PEACOCK: But base load power supply is just what Ausra is now being contracted to supply for the insatiable US market. It says that within two years it'll be able to economically store its hot water for more than 16 hours.

DAVID MILLS: The interesting thing is that there's a correlation between human activity [and energy use]. We get up in the morning everyday, we start using energy, we go to sleep at night. And the presence of the sun, that's natural. And that correlation means that we can get away with a lot less storage than we might have thought.

DR MARK DIESENDORF: Well, there's been a lot of nonsense talked about, in Australia and elsewhere, about renewable energy allegedly not being able to provide base load power. Not being able to substitute for coal. That's never been true. It's even untrue with regard to wind power and now with solar thermal power, it's certainly untrue.

MATT PEACOCK: the huge US investment into solar will soon make talk of clean coal and nuclear as a solution to climate change redundant, according to Mark Diesendorf at the University of New South Wales.

DR MARK DIESENDORF: Basically, the solar thermal technology will be on the ground, certainly in the United States and many other countries long before so-called clean coal and nuclear power.

VINOH KHOSLA: We think we can move much faster than nuclear and on an unsubsidised basis, we will be cheaper than nuclear power, and we should be cheaper than IGCC coal based power generation.

DAVID MILLS: In five years time, we'll have very large plants and I would say gigawatt style plants already commissioned, able to run 24 hours a day and completely replace the function of nuclear and coal plants.

source: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s2047734.htm

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Neferti wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 3:22pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 6:20am:

The next Election is at least 2 and a half years away. Anything could happen between now and then. Grin

Like people fogetting that Allbull tried telling the Australian electorate that Nuclear Power/Waste was the only option?!?

Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Huh Tongue Roll Eyes Undecided Lips Sealed Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:56pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 3:49pm:
Like people fogetting that Allbull tried telling the Australian electorate that Nuclear Power/Waste was the only option?!?

Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Huh Tongue Roll Eyes Undecided Lips Sealed Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Probably, most people can't remember what they did yesterday less alone remember what some Pollie said.  Come election time, they vote by how much they think is in it for them. The hip pocket nerve. Wink

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Neferti wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 3:56pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 3:49pm:
Probably, most people can't remember what they did yesterday less alone remember what some Pollie said.  Come election time, they vote by how much they think is in it for them. The hip pocket nerve. Wink

Times are changing Shocked haven't you heard  !Huh!

Seriously ice will have melted by next election... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2008 at 4:25pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 4:15pm:
Times are changing Shocked haven't you heard  !Huh!

Yeah, well, time that Garrett got a clue and forgot about plastic bags, whales and wood fires then.  Where is he, anyway?  Not a peep out of him since the plastic bag saga.  Shocked

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2008 at 4:28pm

Neferti wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 4:25pm:

Yeah, well, time that Garrett got a clue and forgot about plastic bags, whales and wood fires then.  Where is he, anyway?  Not a peep out of him since the plastic bag saga.  Shocked

He doesn't deal with Climate Change or haven't you heard?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2008 at 4:47pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 4:28pm:

Roll Eyes

I was Wong, I guess.  Sorry.  Wink

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:00pm

Neferti wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 4:47pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 4:28pm:

Roll Eyes

I was Wong, I guess.  Sorry.  Wink

Well, most people aren't too interested in the party they don't support.

The truth is it has come time to transcend blaming politicisns and start demanding change no matter who is there.

If we keep blaming politicians for this and that the race will be lost: we must hit the streets in various ways and protest with our consumer power as protesting with voter power is hopeless in a two horse race.

We demand leadership but the leadership can only be found in us: governments simply let consumerism divide us and go on their own merry way as consumerism has them caught in its reverie too.

We must learn to ROAR LIKE A BOAR once again: that is the true politics!

We all have the power to demand what we need we just need to wake ourselves up and see that this is true!

______________________________!

Embarrassed Cry Huh Huh

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:02pm

oh yeh, and you made a funny: now I laugh...HAHA!

Cheesy Grin Tongue

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:18pm

DR DAVID MILLS, CHAIRMAN, AUSRA INC.: Right now they're running coal plants, really at the marginal cost of the fuel, in Australia

Interesting claim. that's not a real smart thing to do while we're still building new coal fired plants.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - May 17th, 2008 at 6:34pm

I sent Ausra an email asking about it, via the email listed on their contact page. The wrote back saying they don't respond to emails.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #17 - May 18th, 2008 at 1:59pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 6:34pm:
I sent Ausra an email asking about it, via the email listed on their contact page. The wrote back saying they don't respond to emails.

Really.

As for the quote were you saying the government was not being smart or Ausra

sorry I didn't understand...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - May 18th, 2008 at 2:01pm

I meant the government was not being smart if they were only charging for the marginal price of coal.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:15pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 2:01pm:
I meant the government was not being smart if they were only charging for the marginal price of coal.

It's amounts to a subsidy!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print