Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Go you old thing (Read 16701 times)
djrbfm

OzPolitic

Re: Go you old thing
Reply #45 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:05am

yep, howard's been neutralized, but rudd's to be dealt with yet.
nothing's changed here, and i'm dead against more immigration, for any reason.
speaking as a "pension age" person, i hate what this country is becoming.
as i've said before, we, including any gov't, aern't running our own country.
if we were, thing would change more rapidly.
we need a much better welfare and health system here.
DR9.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #46 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:16am

There is a huge difference between an Age Pensioner and a Self-funded Retiree.  So don't go getting confused.

This thread was about Age Pensioners taking off their shirts in protest to Rudd not doing anything for them in the Budget!  Sad

An Age Pensioner can own their own home and have up to $166,750 in the Bank and still get a FULL Pension of $270 a week as a single Age Pensioner.  A couple can have up to $236,500 in the Bank to get the full Pension of $220 a week each.

The tax rules changed last year so any interest received from the money in the Bank (or invested) isn't counted as "income" any longer.  However, if those Age Pensioners took a Superannuation Pension and rolled the rest over, their Super Pension is considered income and the Age Pension reduces by x$ per week/fortnight. These people get a Part Age Pension.

An Age Pensioner gets a Pensioner Concession Card.

The tax rules also changed with regard the need to lodge a Tax Return. Something like under $25,000 for singles and whatever for a couple, with the Tax Offset, etc, they don't need to pay tax.  Income above those amounts need to lodge a Tax Return.

Self-funded Retirees can get a Seniors Concession Card and I outlined the details in an earlier post.  Self-funded Retirees would have to lodge a Tax Return if their (self funded) income is over a certain amount.  They can NOT get an Age Pension.

The whole point of the matter is that there ARE Age Pensioners out there who do not own their own home, do not have money in the Bank and who have to try to survive on a mere $270 a week (single) or $220 a week (couple).  These are the people that need more help, not the Age Pensioner with money in the bank OR the Self-funded Retirees who own their own homes.

Mantra, as a side note, check your neighbour's "health care card".  If it is a Pensioner Concession Card they get the Age Pension (and have money in the Bank) if it is a Senior Concession Card, they are Self-Funded Retirees .... Wink

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #47 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:03am

Quote:
This has nothing to do with tax.  It is eligibility for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.  If you keep saying it poor old freediver keeps believing it.  Give the duffer a break

It was this clause I was referring to - Changes being introduced from 1 July 2007 mean that some superannuation income streams will no longer be considered to be taxable income.

I did see something about the restructuring of tax on these amounts - I just have to find the information - and I will.

Quote:
Mantra, as a side note, check your neighbour's "health care card".  If it is a Pensioner Concession Card they get the Age Pension (and have money in the Bank) if it is a Senior Concession Card, they are Self-Funded Retirees

They did have a Senior Concession Card, it may have changed to a Pensioner Card.  They are self funded retirees with a large superannuation fund and investments - they also receive a pension.  I haven't got the audacity to ask them how they managed to achieve this - but I know they voted Liberal at the last election.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:05am

Thanks Nef. Can you give a link to where you got that from?

Amadd, all labour markets are experiencing a shortage. It is the resulting increase in wages that is driving inflation. That is, houses cost so much because people have that much money to pay for them. Plus, the shortage of builders is driving up the cost of building a house.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #49 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:15am

Quote:
That is, houses cost so much because people have that much money to pay for them. Plus, the shortage of builders is driving up the cost of building a house.

Is there really a shortage of builders?  This is the spiel the Victorian Master Builders Association is using to encourage mass migration to Australia. (sorry off topic)

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #50 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:18am

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 9:05am:
Thanks Nef. Can you give a link to where you got that from?

The information on Age Pensions and the Senior Concession Allowance (and the relevant Pensioner Concession Card and Senior Concession Card) you can get off Centrelink

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/  Check under A-Z listings.

The information about Taxation is on the ATO link under Individuals

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/ then check under Retirement.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 4:57pm by Neferti »  

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #51 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:48am

mantra wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 9:03am:
They did have a Senior Concession Card, it may have changed to a Pensioner Card.  They are self funded retirees with a large superannuation fund and investments - they also receive a pension.  I haven't got the audacity to ask them how they managed to achieve this - but I know they voted Liberal at the last election.

It would be rude to ask your neighbours straight out, obviously.  Wink If they have a Seniors Concession Card they are Self-funded Retirees and don't get even a Part Age Pension.

If they have the a Pensioner Concession Card they are "Age Pensioners".

They may have a large Superannuation Fund and elected to take a smallish Superannuation Pension and roll the rest over to be eligible for a Part Age Pension.  Under those circumstances they would get a Pensioner Concession Card.  However, they then cannot call themselves Self-funded Retirees ... they are Age Pensioners with a lot of money "invested".   Grin

Calling themselves Self-funded Retirees possibly sounds better to the neighbours.  Cheesy  I really can't see the benefit of having a Part Age Pension as that only attracts the Age Pension Concession card (and a small Government "handout") which covers every benefit that the Seniors Concession Card does. Either way, some people seem to want to grab every dollar they can from The Government for some strange reason.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #52 - May 19th, 2008 at 7:56pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 9:05am:
Amadd, all labour markets are experiencing a shortage. It is the resulting increase in wages that is driving inflation. That is, houses cost so much because people have that much money to pay for them. Plus, the shortage of builders is driving up the cost of building a house.

IMO FD, the labour shortage argument is a sham. It's just an excuse to bring in cheap labour.
The inflation that we are now enjoying is driven by high fuel and food prices, not wage increases. Real wages are far lower due to the current cost of living.

I have no idea how some people manage to put food in their kids mouths these days, and I have no idea how pensioners manage to survive on the poultry amount that they are given.

Meanwhile, banks and large companies are still making their record profits.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:00pm

Food and fuel are only a small part of inflation. Most of it is wage increases, driven by people making lots of money. the labour chortage is genuine, however the extent to which it is a problem tends to be overstated. In my opinion, everyone making lots of money is a good thing. The genuine problem is that the benefits are not spread evenly. That is, not 'everyone' is making lots, but most are.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #54 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:13pm

I saw Rudd on the 7.30 Report about the Budget and Age Pensioners the other night where he said something along the lines of "$500 Bonus plus $400 extra in the Utilities Allowance".  So I checked it out!

The $500 cash Bonus that Howard initiated, is (apparently) to be paid "before 30 June"  which is fair enough, but the people I know on the Age Pension (or Vet Affairs "Widow' Pension) do NOT know this.  Rudd "upgraded" the Age Pension utilities allowance from $107 (or something) per annum, paid quarterly to a quarterly payment of $125 ... difference $393.  

Hate to say this but Rudd was telling the truth!  Shocked Provided the $500 is automatically transferred into the Age Persons bank accounts and I expect that it will be.  Centrelink say nothing about it.

I'll keep tabs on the Aged Persons I know.  Most are happy with their lot anyway and throughout their lives SAVED for whatever they needed.   Wink  Needing and wanting is a different kettle of fish.   These people are now in their late 70's or mid 80's, they don't want much other than to be comfortable in their Old Age and stay in their own homes.

The Old People I feel sorry for are those who don't have a roof over their heads for whatever reason.  The can't possibly live on $270 a week, pay rent and feed and clothe themselves.  Who knows why they are in that situation. Perhaps they made bad choices years ago?

As a Liberal voter, I certainly don't believe that everyone is "equal" and ALL should get the same ... people who work hard and earn more than the average shouldn't be paying for those who didn't think further than tomorrow.  Wink

I do believe that Aussies are becoming a bunch of whingers.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #55 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:22pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 8:00pm:
Food and fuel are only a small part of inflation. Most of it is wage increases, driven by people making lots of money. the labour chortage is genuine, however the extent to which it is a problem tends to be overstated. In my opinion, everyone making lots of money is a good thing. The genuine problem is that the benefits are not spread evenly. That is, not 'everyone' is making lots, but most are.

Wrong again.  Wages are not a measure of inflation.   It is the price of a 'basket of goods' which is the measure of inflation.  You should brush up on your economics.

But it is odd you say that anyway.  If there are 'inflationary inducing'  "wage increases, driven by people making lots of money" how does this fit with the usual leftard model of people being far worse off under WorkChoices?  Who is making all this money you speak of when the leftards are saying everyone is worse off?

Please explain how the story changes to suit your partisan viewpoint.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:36pm

You are wrong Deepy. There are a couple of equivalent ways of measuring inflation. One is to measure wages. That is, wages are a measure of inflation. This is basic macroeconomics.

Deepthought you really should get yourself an intro to economics textbook and have a read. You cannot get away with pretending to understand economics.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #57 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:43pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 5:36pm:
You are wrong Deepy. There are a couple of equivalent ways of measuring inflation. One is to measure wages. That is, wages are a measure of inflation. This is basic macroeconomics.

It doesn't matter whether there are thirty different ways of macroeconomically 'measuring' inflation.  To determine the CPI in Australia the Bureau of Statistics uses the common or garden variety 'basket of goods'.  

Whether wages rise or fall in Australia is irrelevant and has no impact on the CPI other than a contributory affect on the 'basket of goods'.

You should brush up on the study of economics.

You also failed to respond to the whole post.

Quote:
But it is odd you say that anyway.  If there are 'inflationary inducing'  "wage increases, driven by people making lots of money" how does this fit with the usual leftard model of people being far worse off under WorkChoices?  Who is making all this money you speak of when the leftards are saying everyone is worse off?

Please explain how the story changes to suit your partisan viewpoint.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:50pm

Whether wages rise or fall in Australia is irrelevant and has no impact on the CPI other than a contributory affect on the 'basket of goods'.

You are wrong Deepy. We were talking about inflation, not the reserve bank CPI. That CPI, and the 'wage index', are both attempts to measure the same thing - inflation. The only difference is the inaccuracies involved. A truly representative 'basket of goods' and a truly representative 'wage index' would be mearurements of the same thing.

Like I said, this is very basic macroeconomics. You cannot get away with pretending to understand this.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #59 - May 20th, 2008 at 6:01pm

INFLATION:

A persistent increase in the level of consumer prices or a persistent decline in the purchasing power of money, caused by an increase in available currency and credit beyond the proportion of available goods and services.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print