Send Topic Print
Politicians salaries (Read 6106 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Politicians salaries
Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:49pm

Politicians should be paid more, but not get any special super, delayed payments or any other 'hidden' salary. You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. The pay should be equivalent to what you'd get for a similar position in the public or private sector.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Politicians salaries
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:57pm

Nice sentiment, but far too often monkey's are parachuted into safe seats by the apes that run the show- just look at any Labor state govt. It's a joke that even their own are finding hard to swallow

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:44pm

freediver wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:49pm:
Politicians should be paid more, but not get any special super, delayed payments or any other 'hidden' salary. You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. The pay should be equivalent to what you'd get for a similar position in the public or private sector.

I agree with IQ.  The problem as I see it is that Liebor recruits from the trade unions and these oafs have no skills of any kind.  They wouldn't earn $150,000 in the real world so they are actually vastly overpaid.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:46pm

Are you saying we shouldn't pay them more because we are getting monkeys for the peanuts we currently pay? Don't you think paying them more would help solve that problem? I can't imagine a HR person thinking to themselves, "hmmm, can't seem to get decent employees at the salary we offer, why don't we trying offering less".

The pay should also reflect the risk and personal investment involved in running for office.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:50pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:46pm:
Are you saying we shouldn't pay them more because we are getting monkeys for the peanuts we currently pay? Don't you think paying them more would help solve that problem? I can't imagine a HR person thinking to themselves, "hmmm, can't seem to get decent employees at the salary we offer, why don't we trying offering less".

The pay should also reflect the risk and personal investment involved in running for office.

Like the private sector they should have wages paid according to the skills and qualifications they bring with them.

Little Kevvy would be on $30k.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Like the private sector they should have wages paid according to the skills and qualifications they bring with them.

Are you suggesting that each politician be paid differently according to some criteria based on their skills?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:55pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:52pm:

Are you suggesting that each politician be paid differently according to some criteria based on their skills?

At the moment we have a problem with a (largely) highly skilled and professionally educated Liberal team and some unionists on the Liebor benches.

Should we have a different pay scale for Liebor and Liberal?  Or treat them as individuals?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:56pm

I don't think it would be practical to base a politician's salary on anything other than the job they do.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:05pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:56pm:
I don't think it would be practical to base a politician's salary on anything other than the job they do.

I agree with that but the issue is of course while some may be underpaid most of the Liebor bench is overpaid.   What do you do?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:09pm

I think we should put the salaries up. With more skilled people competing for the positions it would be harder for factional interests to control who ends up getting elected. There would be more external competition, more competition within parties and a greater incentive for party members to go public if they think the wrong thing has been done.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:12pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:09pm:
I think we should put the salaries up. With more skilled people competing for the positions it would be harder for factional interests to control who ends up getting elected. There would be more external competition, more competition within parties and a greater incentive for party members to go public if they think the wrong thing has been done.

Once again you have a problem with rigged seats.  Look at the number of union men who have been shoe-horned into parliament. 

Lifting the salaries will only see greater greed from the unions who force their people in against far better qualified candidates.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:13pm

We should have a wider range of experts as pollies.

eg, the countries best scientists, best engineers, best teachers, best ethitists, best managers, best economists.
As it is, we mainly have exlawyers there.
To get the best, we have to offer the best wages.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:20pm

Lifting the salaries will only see greater greed from the unions who force their people in against far better qualified candidates.

you don't think it would also see greater competition?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:23pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:20pm:

you don't think it would also see greater competition?

No.  They don't get a look in.   I believe both a Tasmanian and a NSW sitting pollie were displaced last time around by union bullies.  One union thug was Greg Combet and I can't recall the other off hand.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:34pm

Let me get this straight, you honestly believe that increasing the salary offered for a postion will not increase the competition for it? Are you ever capable of looking past the partisan issues and partisan solutions? Is it really that hard for you to consider a solution other than voting out Labor?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print