Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
State trade offices 'waste of money' (Read 591 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
State trade offices 'waste of money'
Mar 25th, 2008 at 2:40pm

I agree with this. There is no need for individual states to be represented overseas. This should be done by the federal government, if at all.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23426873-601,00.html

FORMER Austrade chief Ralph Evans has dismissed overseas trade offices run by state governments as "collectively a substantial waste of money".

His criticism came as Queensland Premier Anna Bligh announced that key performance indicators to be met by Queensland's trade commissioners - including its newest commissioner, former premier Peter Beattie - were being tightened to make the positions more accountable.

Last week, Ms Bligh appointed Mr Beattie to a $200,000-a-year job based in Los Angeles to represent the state.

His trade office is one of 14 run by Queensland in nine countries, costing the state $33.8 million this year.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: State trade offices 'waste of money'
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 3:03pm

freediver wrote on Mar 25th, 2008 at 2:40pm:
I agree with this. There is no need for individual states to be represented overseas. This should be done by the federal government, if at all.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23426873-601,00.html

FORMER Austrade chief Ralph Evans has dismissed overseas trade offices run by state governments as "collectively a substantial waste of money".

His criticism came as Queensland Premier Anna Bligh announced that key performance indicators to be met by Queensland's trade commissioners - including its newest commissioner, former premier Peter Beattie - were being tightened to make the positions more accountable.

Last week, Ms Bligh appointed Mr Beattie to a $200,000-a-year job based in Los Angeles to represent the state.

His trade office is one of 14 run by Queensland in nine countries, costing the state $33.8 million this year.

I believe Queensland established a bunch of these in the later Joh era - when the Federal Hawke/Cheating Liebor Government looked after its mates and ignored Queensland.  Joh actively went after foreign investment and Queensland out-performed the Liebor led initiatives due to Joh's pro development policies.   Now it is probably a waste of money with wall to wall Liebor.

Just another example of Liebor 'jobs for the boys' rorting with Beattie getting a sinecure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print