Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Why is the price of petrol so high? (Read 6274 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Why is the price of petrol so high?
Mar 19th, 2008 at 7:48pm

I dont really understand about the price of oil per barrel etc. I do know petrol is about to go a  $1.50 per litre..but thats it.

Why are we paying so much for petrol. Is it oil shortage..Iraq war?..any infromation would be appreciated.

I think we are being ripped off a lot of the time.. Will naming and shaming service stations who take advantage of us , work?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Why is the price of petrol so high?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 9:24pm

It is starting to run out. The oil that is left is harder to get at and will go to the highest bidder.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 10:22pm

Thanks for that.

Last year I watched a program on ABC called "Crude".. from what I saw it was thought by some that petroleum companies are exaggerating the scarcity of oil..

Some say there are large areas of likely locations yet to be researched and developed..hopefully this is so..or the day of the petrol driven car will be replaced with what? Great for the environment of course.

Not to mention the thousands of household products we take for granted that come from oil.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:01pm

I don't think they're running out of oil.  Don't the oil trading bourses have a monopoly on trade and withhold oil to ensure that the price per barrel rises?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:30pm

They do withhold it because they know the western world is hamstrung by environazis- and they're laughing all they way to the bank.

The ME where the majority of the oil holdings are realise that we are being held hostage in regard to fossil fuels- no one is prepared to invest in expensive funds to find new oil fields when they will spend all the money prospecting only to have the chance on return lessened by freaks with an agenda who declare the rare 'southern orchid spider' etc which they haven't discovered before- because no one actually looked for it- is in critical danger- woe is me.

Suck it up leftards- you're to blame more than anyone

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:16am

Quote:
They do withhold it because they know the western world is hamstrung by environazis- and they're laughing all they way to the bank.

That's not quite the reason IQ, although it sounds good to a neo-con.  The real reason is greed and holding the world to ransom.  The sooner this new government gets it's act together and starts investing properly in ethanol and biodiesel, instead of making it cheaper to import (thanks to our previous dictator), we won't have to rely so heavily on the world market.

We also have oil & gas resources here which to date haven't been explored - although that could be considered a last resort environmentally.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:37am

mantra wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:16am:
Quote:

That's not quite the reason IQ, although it sounds good to a neo-con.  The real reason is greed and holding the world to ransom.  The sooner this new government gets it's act together and starts investing properly in ethanol and biodiesel, instead of making it cheaper to import (thanks to our previous dictator), we won't have to rely so heavily on the world market.

We also have oil & gas resources here which to date haven't been explored - although that could be considered a last resort environmentally.

The two bolded statements appear to be contradictory.  You say 'neocons' only think that the witholding of oil reserves is because new exploration is delayed by environazis.  Then say new exploration should only be considered a last resort for environmental reasons.

I expect you will see the 'neocons' concerns are justified by your very own statement.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:18am

Yes it is a bit contradictory - but the last sentence was my opinion only.  I hold no influence in government, but there are Australian oil lobbyists out there working their little butts off to pursue more exploration.  I did point out that this option is a last resort to us greenies.

Let's hope the government goes for more investment in renewables as they promised.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:03am

The problem with biofuels: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169519086

OPEC is withholding supply to push the price up, but they only own about half (I think) of the world's oil. There are plenty of oil shales and tar sands in Canada that we can make oil from if we get desperate. You can even make it from coal, but it is probably messy and expensive.

The biggest problem with oil at the moment is that it is too cheap. Until recently, the efficiency of American automobiles had actually been getting slightly worse over several decades. We have a long way to go before it becomes a real problem.

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:09am

All resources go up as the greenback declines.  There are also tightening world supplies of oil, uncertainty about longterm supply and increasing demand from India and China of course.

At least be thankful for the strong AUD. It could have been much worse.  We should start a bet on the mean petrol price by December 31. I'll make an intelligent guess at $2.50 per litre to get the ball rolling.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:11am

Another issue is that people will start stockpiling oil as it runs out. The US government has a small stockpile. Of course, the easiest way to store it is to just leave it in the ground. This will help reduce the economic shock as it runs out.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:22am

Musician - good idea. This is mean price in Brisbane ?

Put me down for ....... $1.64  (got to be precise)

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:56am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:22am:
Musician - good idea. This is mean price in Brisbane ?

Put me down for ....... $1.64  (got to be precise)

http://www.caltex.com.au/pricing_his.asp

This might be a place to start.  At one stage I was charting petrol prices in different currencies to see if they accounted for currency fluctuation (they do).

Suggest we work off the mean city wholesale price for mainland states of Australia (leaving out the NT and SA) then add 5 cents which is a typical retail margin. That was 131.7 cents per litre for February. The NT is artificially high, and SA is artificially low. Retail prices fluctuate too much to be of any value.

Maybe FD can start a new thread. We should think of an appropriate (small) prize.

Vic: 131.8
NSW 132.4
ACT 131.0
QLD 132.3
WA 130.9
Mean Wholesale 131.7 (Mean Retail 136.7)

So far for December 2008 we have :

sprintcyclist .....$1.64 per litre (you can change it if you like)
musician35 ......$2.50 per litre

I have some limited inside information, so I disqualify myself from winning the prize.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 9:19am

Sounds like you live on the Nullabor Musician..

Its been $2. out there for quite while..bound to be much higher now.

What is Rudd doing about it.?

We are currently 1.53..and counting.

Anyone know what Adelaide is?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 10:40am

musician -  Sounds like an scientific method of agreeing on the price.
What s say we use this formula

Average petrol price = $1.64 + the price at my local pump - the price at my local pump ??  Smiley

cheating is allowed, if you have inside information, use it to your best advantage.

we have too many threads as is. Want to put it on your forum ??

When is cut off day for all changes , guesses ? End of financial year ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Expert warns of unrest as rice price soars
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 11:39am

This on the other hand is a genuine problem:

Expert warns of unrest as rice price soars

http://news.smh.com.au/expert-warns-of-unrest-as-rice-price-soars/20080319-20hm.html

As the price of rice hovers near record levels, many poor countries face the spectre of riots by hungry people, according to one of the world's leading rice experts.

Key producers India and Vietnam have both curtailed exports, sending some of the world's largest rice importers including the Philippines scrambling to procure supplies for their people.

Spot prices have recently hit more than 700 US dollars a tonne, more than three times the price of just five years to go.

Industry officials in Thailand, the world's top exporter, have warned that prices could soon rise to 1,000 US dollars a tonne.

Vietnam, the world's third-largest exporter of the grain, also faces the prospect of a return of the deadly crop disease that impacted heavily on its crop yield last year.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Quote:

That's not quite the reason IQ, although it sounds good to a neo-con.  The real reason is greed and holding the world to ransom.  The sooner this new government gets it's act together and starts investing properly in ethanol and biodiesel, instead of making it cheaper to import (thanks to our previous dictator), we won't have to rely so heavily on the world market.

Im converting my car to LP very soon..It cost me $73  to fill my 45 litre tank today...and thats not the end of this lunacy.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:06pm

oceanz wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:31pm:
Quote:

Im converting my car to LP very soon..It cost me $73  to fill my 45 litre tank today...and thats not the end of this lunacy.

Huh
How often to you have to fill your tank?

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:10pm

freediver wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:11am:
Another issue is that people will start stockpiling oil as it runs out. The US government has a small stockpile. Of course, the easiest way to store it is to just leave it in the ground. This will help reduce the economic shock as it runs out.

As efficiency is well known to be the best way to fight the bogey of Climate Change that now appears on the(our, well atleast my) doomsday clock I find this method of stockpiling worth repeating.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:10pm

Death ..only when I have to travel out of town..I  can usually  get by on about $20 per week around town.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:14pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:30pm:

The ME where the majority of the oil holdings are realise that we are being held hostage in regard to fossil fuels- no one is prepared to invest in expensive funds to find new oil fields when they will spend all the money prospecting only to have the chance on return lessened by freaks with an agenda who declare the rare 'southern orchid spider' etc which they haven't discovered before- because no one actually looked for it- is in critical danger- woe is me.

Suck it up leftards- you're to blame more than anyone

If you're so far to the right then please explain how Nuclear Power works in your world...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Smiley Roll Eyes Shocked Huh Tongue Cool

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:20pm

oceanz wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:10pm:
Death ..only when I have to travel out of town..I  can usually  get by on about $20 per week around town.

Must be a very small town, Oceans.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:20pm:
Death ..only when I have to travel out of town..I  can usually  get by on about $20 per week around town.

Must be a very small town, Oceans.

Yes quite small...4,000. pple

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:48pm

I can get to work 5 days a week on $25 with the price at $1.50 and probably see a mate once or twice but out of town is the only time I really have to fill up aswell.

I fill up once a fortnight you might say for my average driving needs.

Small tank on a 4cyl laser means petrol never really hurts me though I won't say I haven't altered my habits: I make sure the money is there for petrol first as I need a pay check and so I might go out once a week less but really it comes down to spending less on the town and that's pretty much it.

It's all about efficiency.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:51pm

I have 2  6 cylinder cars.
I drive wherever I want whenever I want.

So the price of fuel makes no difference to me.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:19am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:51pm:
I have 2  6 cylinder cars.
I drive wherever I want whenever I want.

So the price of fuel makes no difference to me.

[[[golf clap]]]

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:50pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:48pm:
[quote author=oceansblue link=1205920107/15#19 date=1213182620]

Yes death..It is all about efficiency and I have altered my driving habits too..not so many uneccessary trips as  I once would have done..

Id like to be able to drive around with gay abandon too[ not literally of course     ]but the price of fuel here at present is $1.65-7..so thats not something Id consider ..

Its only going to get worse.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #27 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:27pm

oceanz wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:50pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:48pm:
[quote author=oceansblue link=1205920107/15#19 date=1213182620]

Yes death..It is all about efficiency and I have altered my driving habits too..not so many uneccessary trips as  I once would have done..

Id like to be able to drive around with gay abandon too[ not literally of course     ]but the price of fuel here at present is $1.65-7..so thats not something Id consider ..

Its only going to get worse.

Oh yeh, especially now they know 'the electrification of the car' is being pushed by voters.

There should be some great stuff coming out on Yotube soon from parliament house!

If Petrol went up 50c then Nelsons 5c would be swallowed by GST etc etc. That could be in as little a time as Christmas according to some.

I hope not but still the arguments such as this will come with some great performances assured!

Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Petrol myths fuel whingeing
Reply #28 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:33pm

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,23898033-2702,00.html?from=public_rss

Higher petrol prices appear to be behind a slump in the restaurant trade, a sharp halt to retail spending and a collapse in consumer confidence.

But that's basically as far as the bowser blues go. Australians are driving a little less, and this is having a ripple downward effect for many businesses. But consumer spending generally remains strong.

Higher petrol prices may even have indirectly led to a boom in the living-room economy, with a jump in demand for gadgets and household equipment and furnishings.

The Weekend Australian has trawled through the data, and interviewed experts and business chiefs to challenge some of the fuel myths.

The typical family is spending substantially less on petrol today, when unleaded is nudging $1.70 a litre, than it was a decade ago, when pump prices were $1 per litre cheaper.

For every $100 in real household expenditure in 1999, petrol accounted for about $3.70. The share was as high as $4.50 in the early 1990s, in the aftermath of the last recession.

The latest figures crunched by CommSec economist Craig James place the bowser's bite on the household budget at about $2.90.

Incomes have risen faster than petrol prices. Why else would the graph start pointing south from the mid-1990s, when the nation began its longest run of prosperity?

In the short run, though, Australians are driving less.

Consider the upside-down nature of the latest national accounts. They show total consumption rising by 4.3per cent over the year to the March quarter, hardly proof of an economy on the edge.

Break down the data for the six months to the March quarter, when petrol prices began their latest spike, and something fascinating happens. Total consumption rose by 2.3 per cent in real terms. Again, a robust number. But three big items of the household budget went backwards.

Spending on hotels, cafes and restaurants dropped by 0.8 per cent - suggesting a recession occurring in the after-dark economy.

Spending on running a car - on petrol and other costs - also fell by 0.5per cent.

The knee-jerk response to these two minus signs would be to assume that people turned to public transport or took cabs. But spending on transport services slumped by 2 per cent.

The real economy transaction goes something like this: motorists responded to rising prices at the pump by cutting back on the nights out, and on trips to some shops. But they still drove to work in roughly the same numbers.

The money saved at the bowser has been diverted to the living-room economy. The national accounts showed spending on furnishings and household equipment up by 4per cent for the same six-month period, and spending on communication gadgets up 3.4per cent.

This might explain why electronics chain store JB Hi-Fi has just lifted its profit forecasts, defying the general gloom across the economy. JB Hi-Fi chief executive Richard Uechtritz said that as more people stayed home because of rising food and fuel prices, many families were updating television sets and buying faster computers.

This is not to play down the slowing in the economy, but to place petrol prices in perspective.

The cost to families of servicing their mortgages now happens to take about four times as much of their budget as fuel.

For every $100 in disposable income across all households, the mortgage repayment chews up $11, while other consumer debts account for $2.90.

Look at these sums another way - the credit card bill is roughly equal to what people spend at the bowser. The big picture is the mortgage.

Unlike the car, which you can leave in the garage, or park on the street, home interest repayments have to be made each month, otherwise the bank gets edgy.

The retailer with perhaps the closest ear to the real economy is Gerry Harvey, chief executive of the Harvey Norman chain. He is downcast, but yet to call an end to the prosperity party.

"Money is very tight," Mr Harvey told The Weekend Australian.

"Things have not improved. Neither have they become worse. From January to now, things have become a lot tighter.

"But we still have full employment, the resources boom and a high Australian dollar, which have helped retail shops."

Mr Harvey predicted: "Things will remain the same or get worse in the next few months - but this depends on our employment levels."

It is time to stop the whingeing. While record high petrol prices are yielding all sorts of horror headlines, they haven't yet done that much damage to the real economy.

The simplest measure of this is monetary policy.

The Reserve Bank confirmed this week that it is not ready to begin easing official interest rates. In fact, it stands ready to raise them again if wage rises get out of hand.

By sitting on the fence, the Reserve Bank confirmed that the economy hasn't slowed enough for its liking.

fuel-prices.JPG (32 KB | 57 )
fuel-prices.JPG

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #29 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 2:04pm

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #30 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:40pm

I think these two gentleman and their over-friendly relationship have a lot to do with why the price of oil is so high

It is a well known fact that since the British established the "Grand 'ol Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" in the 1920's that the Western oil companies have pretty much owned the place as their own personal oil field. Today the British have taken a backseat in world affairs, so the Yanks have taken their place, but the Saudi Kingdom is still a personal possession of Western oil companies.

And strangely enough, in 2002, when the Yanks wrested control of the world's other largest oil fields from Saddam, meaning they now controlled about 80% of the world's known oil, the prices sky rocketed, and guess what?? American oil companies all of a sudden began reporting a 4 fold increase in their profits... Funny that, isn't it?

Or if you like we could always just blame "Those damn ay-rabbs" and carry on about "applying the blowtorch" to them.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 8:39am

Hi Abu - how are you ? Good to have you here.

I thought the increasing oil prices were due to supply and demand.
Likewise, oil companies increasing profits due to higher oil prices.
Thought it would have been MUCH higher than 4X increase in profit.

Nice piccie, rarely do world leaders hold hands !!!!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #32 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:20pm

sprint thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
I thought the increasing oil prices were due to supply and demand.

In the period 2004-2006, there was a surplus each year in oil supply, yet the price still kept rising. Also due to the "Energy security" policies of the USA and her allies, the oil supply is now more firmly under the control of the USA, so why would there even be any speculation of a lack in supply? If anything, the price of oil should've dropped, since the uncertainty about being able to extract it has been reduced.

Quote:
Likewise, oil companies increasing profits due to higher oil prices

US oil companies are able to increase profits due to the fact they now have firmer control over more of the supply. Have you noticed the price of petrol in the USA has not risen as sharply? They still have some of the best petrol prices in the Western world. So we went to war, and sacrificed our sons for their gain in wealth and control over the world's economy? And what do we get for it? Higher prices at the bowser.

Quote:
Thought it would have been MUCH higher than 4X increase in profit.

4 fold increase is pretty good, considering how huge their profits are to begin with. Anyway the timing of the massive increase seemed to perfectly coincide with the invasion of Iraq, very strange indeed.

Quote:
Nice piccie, rarely do world leaders hold hands !!!

Nor kissing for that matter.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print