Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why is the price of petrol so high? (Read 6267 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Why is the price of petrol so high?
Mar 19th, 2008 at 7:48pm

I dont really understand about the price of oil per barrel etc. I do know petrol is about to go a  $1.50 per litre..but thats it.

Why are we paying so much for petrol. Is it oil shortage..Iraq war?..any infromation would be appreciated.

I think we are being ripped off a lot of the time.. Will naming and shaming service stations who take advantage of us , work?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Why is the price of petrol so high?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 9:24pm

It is starting to run out. The oil that is left is harder to get at and will go to the highest bidder.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 10:22pm

Thanks for that.

Last year I watched a program on ABC called "Crude".. from what I saw it was thought by some that petroleum companies are exaggerating the scarcity of oil..

Some say there are large areas of likely locations yet to be researched and developed..hopefully this is so..or the day of the petrol driven car will be replaced with what? Great for the environment of course.

Not to mention the thousands of household products we take for granted that come from oil.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:01pm

I don't think they're running out of oil.  Don't the oil trading bourses have a monopoly on trade and withhold oil to ensure that the price per barrel rises?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:30pm

They do withhold it because they know the western world is hamstrung by environazis- and they're laughing all they way to the bank.

The ME where the majority of the oil holdings are realise that we are being held hostage in regard to fossil fuels- no one is prepared to invest in expensive funds to find new oil fields when they will spend all the money prospecting only to have the chance on return lessened by freaks with an agenda who declare the rare 'southern orchid spider' etc which they haven't discovered before- because no one actually looked for it- is in critical danger- woe is me.

Suck it up leftards- you're to blame more than anyone

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:16am

Quote:
They do withhold it because they know the western world is hamstrung by environazis- and they're laughing all they way to the bank.

That's not quite the reason IQ, although it sounds good to a neo-con.  The real reason is greed and holding the world to ransom.  The sooner this new government gets it's act together and starts investing properly in ethanol and biodiesel, instead of making it cheaper to import (thanks to our previous dictator), we won't have to rely so heavily on the world market.

We also have oil & gas resources here which to date haven't been explored - although that could be considered a last resort environmentally.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:37am

mantra wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:16am:
Quote:

That's not quite the reason IQ, although it sounds good to a neo-con.  The real reason is greed and holding the world to ransom.  The sooner this new government gets it's act together and starts investing properly in ethanol and biodiesel, instead of making it cheaper to import (thanks to our previous dictator), we won't have to rely so heavily on the world market.

We also have oil & gas resources here which to date haven't been explored - although that could be considered a last resort environmentally.

The two bolded statements appear to be contradictory.  You say 'neocons' only think that the witholding of oil reserves is because new exploration is delayed by environazis.  Then say new exploration should only be considered a last resort for environmental reasons.

I expect you will see the 'neocons' concerns are justified by your very own statement.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:18am

Yes it is a bit contradictory - but the last sentence was my opinion only.  I hold no influence in government, but there are Australian oil lobbyists out there working their little butts off to pursue more exploration.  I did point out that this option is a last resort to us greenies.

Let's hope the government goes for more investment in renewables as they promised.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:03am

The problem with biofuels: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169519086

OPEC is withholding supply to push the price up, but they only own about half (I think) of the world's oil. There are plenty of oil shales and tar sands in Canada that we can make oil from if we get desperate. You can even make it from coal, but it is probably messy and expensive.

The biggest problem with oil at the moment is that it is too cheap. Until recently, the efficiency of American automobiles had actually been getting slightly worse over several decades. We have a long way to go before it becomes a real problem.

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:09am

All resources go up as the greenback declines.  There are also tightening world supplies of oil, uncertainty about longterm supply and increasing demand from India and China of course.

At least be thankful for the strong AUD. It could have been much worse.  We should start a bet on the mean petrol price by December 31. I'll make an intelligent guess at $2.50 per litre to get the ball rolling.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:11am

Another issue is that people will start stockpiling oil as it runs out. The US government has a small stockpile. Of course, the easiest way to store it is to just leave it in the ground. This will help reduce the economic shock as it runs out.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:22am

Musician - good idea. This is mean price in Brisbane ?

Put me down for ....... $1.64  (got to be precise)

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:56am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:22am:
Musician - good idea. This is mean price in Brisbane ?

Put me down for ....... $1.64  (got to be precise)

http://www.caltex.com.au/pricing_his.asp

This might be a place to start.  At one stage I was charting petrol prices in different currencies to see if they accounted for currency fluctuation (they do).

Suggest we work off the mean city wholesale price for mainland states of Australia (leaving out the NT and SA) then add 5 cents which is a typical retail margin. That was 131.7 cents per litre for February. The NT is artificially high, and SA is artificially low. Retail prices fluctuate too much to be of any value.

Maybe FD can start a new thread. We should think of an appropriate (small) prize.

Vic: 131.8
NSW 132.4
ACT 131.0
QLD 132.3
WA 130.9
Mean Wholesale 131.7 (Mean Retail 136.7)

So far for December 2008 we have :

sprintcyclist .....$1.64 per litre (you can change it if you like)
musician35 ......$2.50 per litre

I have some limited inside information, so I disqualify myself from winning the prize.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 9:19am

Sounds like you live on the Nullabor Musician..

Its been $2. out there for quite while..bound to be much higher now.

What is Rudd doing about it.?

We are currently 1.53..and counting.

Anyone know what Adelaide is?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 10:40am

musician -  Sounds like an scientific method of agreeing on the price.
What s say we use this formula

Average petrol price = $1.64 + the price at my local pump - the price at my local pump ??  Smiley

cheating is allowed, if you have inside information, use it to your best advantage.

we have too many threads as is. Want to put it on your forum ??

When is cut off day for all changes , guesses ? End of financial year ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print