Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lane cove tunnel, public private partnerships (Read 1297 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Lane cove tunnel, public private partnerships
Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:54pm

The problem with PPP's is that private businesses are always able to negotiate a far better deal for themselves than the government. If public infrastructure is going to be built, the government should pay for it, contract out the actual work, then collect the income from it. Of course, in the case of roads it makes far more sense to tax petrol to raise the extra revenue than to set up toll booths. For some reason haveing to stop to pay a toll if you use certain roads is more popular than an equal petrol tax for all road users, even though heavy traffic makes more efficient use of roads on a cost per user basis.

Tunnel drama won't hit PPPs, says Iemma

http://news.smh.com.au/tunnel-drama-wont-hit-ppps-says-iemma/20080319-20cf.html

NSW Premier Morris Iemma denies the government's poor record in public-private partnerships (PPPs) will lumber it with the entire $12.5 billion bill for Sydney's metro rail system.

Mr Iemma said his government was in a financial position to fully fund the project but wanted to test the market in the private sector.

Lane Cove Tunnel 'no white elephant'

http://news.smh.com.au/lane-cove-tunnel-no-white-elephant/20080319-20en.html

NSW Premier Morris Iemma has rejected suggestions Sydney's Lane Cove tunnel is set to become the city's latest infrastructure white elephant.

Two key shareholders in the tunnel on Tuesday announced they were set to write off the bulk of their investments in the tunnel, saying volumes of traffic had been significantly lower than expected.

Cheung Kong Infrastructure (CKI) announced it will write down its remaining stake in the tunnel from $113 million to zero.

That prompted Leighton Holdings to state it had made an allowance to write down its $117.5 million share by 70 per cent.

The decisions follow the failure of the Cross City Tunnel, which opened in 2005 but went into receivership just over a year later after failing to reach traffic forecasts.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Lane cove tunnel, public private partnerships
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 7:24pm

I heard Iemma on the radio this morning waffling on insincerely about this new metro vision.  Every project that involves a public private partnership ends in disaster and when listening to the frustration of the motorists who avoid the tunnel, because of the cost, you can hear them almost weeping with rage.  It's a wonder Iemma hasn't been assassinated.

This metro sounds very suspect.  There will be many kms of underground tunnels, built directly under whole suburbs.  It doesn't take much imagination to consider the disasters that will possibly occur as the foundations of homes affected are shaken and blasted by this tunnel construction.

IP Logged

Dooley

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:48pm

This metro sounds very suspect.  There will be many kms of underground tunnels, built directly under whole suburbs.  It doesn't take much imagination to consider the disasters that will possibly occur as the foundations of homes affected are shaken and blasted by this tunnel construction.

yes indeed, and with a huge increase of salination across oz it very probabley will end up a maintenance nightmare

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:45pm

You think salt will be problem in Sydney?

IP Logged

Dooley

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 4:54pm

watched a proggie (abc) on tv a cpl of years ago and they showed it's endemic to all of developed oz
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2008 at 6:07pm by Dooley »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 3:57pm

Salt only tends to be a problem in flat areas.

from crikey:

The Macquarie infrastructure model is dead:

Gavin R. Putland, research officer for Prosper Australia, writes: Re. "Babcock bounces as Bear Stearns extracts more value" (March 25, item 17). The Macquarie infrastructure model is dead, not because of any failure to "internalise management", but because of a failure to tap the benefits of infrastructure in order to amortize the capital cost. The benefit of a new road, net of tolls, is manifested as an uplift in land values in locations serviced by the new road (or by other routes on which congestion is reduced by the new road). Hence, if the benefit exceeds the cost, the cost (net of tolls) can be defrayed by clawing back some fraction (less than 100%) of the uplift in land values. The rest of the uplift is a net windfall for the land owners -- who therefore should enthusiastically support this financing method because it would finance projects that would not otherwise proceed, yielding windfalls that the owners would not otherwise get. But when a Public-Private Partnership builds a toll road, it doesn't claw back any of the uplift in land values, but tries to finance the whole cost out of tolls. So the tolls are too high, patronage is too low, and the operators can't pay their debts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print