freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
chequebook journalism
Mar 18th, 2008 at 4:11pm

New lows in chequebook journalism -- a Crikey list
Sophie Black and Stephen Mayne write:

$180,000 to tell the world that his girlfriend accidently "fell into" the glass of wine that he was in the process of throwing over her and that he did not "realise" that the glass had cut her face -- well done Wayne Carey in conjunction with New Idea, and with bruised grid girlfriend in tow, for marking a new low in chequebook journalism, in what is already a very sordid and shallow pool of candidates.

Let's mark this auspicious occasion with a look back on the Crikey list of chequebook stubs: the list includes payments to enterprising characters such as Bec and Lleyton and their million dollar baby, Bob and Blanche for the "love that wouldn't die" and its $200,000 price tag, and of course, self-made millionaires Brant and Todd, who hold the record with their $2.6 million dollar payout courtesy of Ed.*

Wayne Carey and Kate Neilson: The woman whose face was cut by a glass thrown by her boyfriend this week graces the cover of New Idea, with Wayne by her side, to tell the world: "Wayne isn't violent - not at all...That's not to say our relationship hasn't been volatile, but that's (only) at times." Price tag: reportedly $180,000.

Corey Worthington and his parents: A Current Affair shelled out for a follow up interview with new fame whore and monster of their own making Corey Worthington, while on the other side of dial, Channel Seven's Today Tonight paid his parents to tell their side of story that wouldn't go away. Price tag: undisclosed sums.

Mohamed Haneef: 60 Minutes paid Dr Haneef for his exclusive account of his detainment and deportation. Price tag: $150,000 to $200,000.

Lisa Robertson: The Qantas hostie pocketed a wad of cash from the ever generous 60 Minutes for her hot n heavy account of airplane toilet s-x with Ralph Fiennes. An exclusive interview about seducing a Hollywood star? Several thousand dollars. Quotes like "I was just on the sink -- arms, legs everywhere, you know"? Priceless. Price tag: $50,000 - $60,000.

Jana Pittman: Pittman arrived to her wedding hiding under umbrellas as helicopters flew overhead -- she'd sold the rights to New Idea on the condition that no one else could get a shot. Price tag: Undisclosed sum.

Jodi Power: Today Tonight paid the former best friend of Schapelle Corby to spill the beans on the Bali jailbird's drug use. Price tag: between $50,000 and $100,000.

Simone Warne: A two-part tell all in New Idea on her serial philandering husband Shane. Price tag: more than $250,000

The Beaconsfield miners: An exclusive deal with Channel Nine and ACP magazines landed new head of Channel Nine Eddie McGuire his first big coup: a two-hour special and exclusive interview with Todd Russell and Brant Webb with ACA’s Tracy Grimshaw that included 24 minutes of commercials (for which Nine is believed to have generated $2 million in revenue) with companies paying up to $100,000 (50% more than the usual rate) for a 30-second ad. Add to that the “special Nine Network goodwill event”, a charity concert in Beaconsfield broadcast during The Footy Show and Packer's magazine arm carve-up of the story over three titles: The Bulletin, Woman's Day and The Australian Women's Weekly. Price tag: $2.6 million.

Lleyton & Bec:  Exclusive deal with Woman's Day for the first year of baby Mia's life. Price tag: close to $1 million from various outlets for wedding and baby stories and pictures.

Douglas Wood: The Ten Network paid for the rights to an exclusive interview with the 63-year-old engineer about his 47-day ordeal as a hostage in Iraq in May and June, 2005. Price tag: At least $250,000 – and possibly as much as $400,000. 

The Bali 9: Nine secured an exclusivity agreement with the Bali 9 and their families in May 2005, giving exclusive access to A Current Affair , 60 Minutes, the Today Show and Woman's Day . Price tag: Amount unknown

Schapelle Corby: Nine secured Schapelle, sister Mercedes and mother Roz with a 60 Minutes exclusive interview in November 2004 after Schapelle was caught at Bail airport with marijuana in her baggage. Throughout the trial Schapelle's family appeared on A Current Affair and spoke exclusive to Nine. Price tag: Amount unknown

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: chequebook journalism
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Wayne Carey and Kate Neilson: The woman whose face was cut by a glass thrown by her boyfriend this week graces the cover of New Idea, with Wayne by her side, to tell the world: "Wayne isn't violent - not at all...That's not to say our relationship hasn't been volatile, but that's (only) at times." Price tag: reportedly $180,000.  "

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne Carey..what a tool. I must admit I was once an admirer of the way he played the game..but after I heard of him glassing his girlfriend he lost my respect.

Paying him $180.000 for telling his sordid little story is a joke.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:16pm

Journalism??

Last I heard. none of the below are 'news' type publications or respected journals
New Idea
60 Minutes
Womans Day
A Current Affair

Crickey obviously falls into the same category as the above but has decided that they can't pay the dollars for the exclusive stories so they are contents to malign those that can.

Sour grapes

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:29pm

60 minutes and ACA used to be considered a serious news/current affairs show didn't they? Even if they aren't as serious, when NI and WD interview people who were splashed across the broadsheets it is still journalism and it is fair to criticise them if they act immorally, especially when they pretend to take a moral high ground onm certain issues. If enough people read trash, it should be openly criticised as trash.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:44pm

Forgive my ignorance FD but why is chequebook journalism so much less regarded then say ordinary journalism?

How does it compromise the news /media that is released to the public?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:49pm

'Used to' being the operative word- it has probably been at least 3-5 years for 60 Minutes and ACA has been a tabloid for so long I can't even remember when they were taken seriously

If enough people read trash, it should be openly criticised as trash.

Yes, Crickey could definitely be a contender for trash seeing as they want to jump on the bandwagon so-to-speak

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:51pm

60 minutes and ACA used to be considered a serious news/current affairs show didn't they? Even if they aren't as serious, when NI and WD interview people who were splashed across the broadsheets it is still journalism and it is fair to criticise them if they act immorally, especially when they pretend to take a moral high ground onm certain issues. If enough people read trash, it should be openly criticised as trash.

Sure, they were, back in the early 80's or something.  Those shows aren't "journalism" they are there for the trash that hasn't a mind of their own.  ALL news on Aussie TV is trash.  The mindless public watch it to see what the weather is going to be tomorrow!  Then complain that the "weather man" got it wrong.  However, they actually believe the rest of the trash.

Those people vote!  Mindlessly seeing a face they like the look of and change Governments.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:00pm

Correct Logical

In fact Crickey, by criticising these publications has revealed that they are of the same ilk- what next?

[News Flash]
Crickey reveals that 'Picture' magazine paid a stripper for a story- shock horror story of sordid cheque book journalism

Journalistic integrity sinks to new lows!
[/News Flash]

Pullease
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:01pm

Oceans, once you start paying people for stories, you create a conflict of interest. You don't know whether they are telling you the truth or telling you what they think will make them the most money.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:14pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:00pm:
Correct Logical

In fact Crickey, by criticising these publications has revealed that they are of the same ilk- what next?

[News Flash]
Crickey reveals that 'Picture' magazine paid a stripper for a story- shock horror story of sordid cheque book journalism

[/News Flash]

Pullease
Roll Eyes

Who reads "Crikey" ? How many Aussies use the word? None that I know!  Americans are more likely to say Crikey (for whatever reason) since the Steve Irwin Show was a Big Hit there and never shown in Oz.  Steve Irwin made me cringe!  His Yank wife and  annoying kids are even more repulsive.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:16pm

logicalconclusion wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:14pm:
IQSRLOW wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:00pm:
Correct Logical

[News Flash]

[/News Flash]

Pullease
Roll Eyes

Who reads "Crikey" ? How many Aussies use the word? None that I know!  Americans are more likely to say Crikey (for whatever reason) since the Steve Irwin Show was a Big Hit there and never shown in Oz.  Steve Irwin made me cringe!  His Yank wife and  annoying kids are even more repulsive.

Not only does freediver read crikey - he even posts it as if it is worthwhile comment.  It's funny.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:19pm

freediver wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:01pm:
Oceans, once you start paying people for stories, you create a conflict of interest. You don't know whether they are telling you the truth or telling you what they think will make them the most money.

losing battle or something.

There is a 5 letter word that starts with a T and ends with a K.  Wink

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:23pm

Quote:
Not only does freediver read crikey - he even posts it as if it is worthwhile comment.  It's funny.

Probably watches ACA for updates on the State of the Nation too.

Meanwhile ..........

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:27pm

OK thanks.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Quote:

OK thanks.

The mind boggles!   These people VOTE!

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:32am

Nerfiti  err "Logical"  writes
Quote:
The mind boggles!   These people VOTE!

Yes nerfiti we do.

As is my way..anything Im not sure of I ask..wheres the shame in that? At least Im  NOT trying to argue something I have no understanding of. [unlike you in many cases]

I'm sure I  hear Cracker calling you. Wink

STILL have  nothing positive to add I see.? Nothing new there- Thats aallll we need. Good one.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:08pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print