Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Cruelty. (Read 5022 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Cruelty.
Mar 16th, 2008 at 7:18pm

This morning I went for a drive about 10.30..

I came to to truck stop to get petrol for my car.

I saw two Semitrailers laden with sheep....Packed shoulder to shoulder in this heat..another day of 40 degrees as was yesterday..They were very distressed and some trampled, some trying to get out. My daughter was in tears.

I quizzed the truckie he said they were loaded 3oclock the previous day [ I didnt believe him].

I asked him when they would next drink and eat...hes said to day at around 3..more lies.

I rang the local police they said it wasnt their area...There is no RSPCA out here and as if thats not bad enough its Sunday. NOTHING is open for business in any way shape or form.

The Police said they would be going straight thru..[to Adelaide I guess] and he said there would be no feed or water either!The trucke lied just as I thought.

I think it IS the job of the Police to investigate and assess the situaton when there is no other form of authority. This is abject cruelty and if you,d seen it you would have been very angry as I was/am.

It is a 4 day journey at its fastest between Perth and Adelaide..in this heatwave its so wrong to truck live animals in this manner.

Do the Police have duty of care in the absence of any other authorative body. I believe yes...

Sheep should be slaughtered and transported frozen/refridgerated rather than suffer this cruel practice.

Vegatarianism is looking good.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:48am by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Cruelty.
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:18pm

Why was your daughter in tears? Did you get her to inspect the truck with you? Do you pull over so she can look at roadkill also?

You could always copy down the number plate and ring whatever abattoir it was going to. It's probably not good for the meat to have the beasts stressed like that. It's a shame what some people will do to a good steak.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:31pm

For what it's worth, I totally agree that live export of animals is barbaric in its current form, and the road transportation of animals is not much better.

I don't have any problem with people who eat meat, but modern society tends to treat animals as a commodity. We've lost touch with nature. In more primitive communities, it's common to apologise to the animals that were slaughtered. It's probably a precursor to the 'grace' that many Christians say before eating. Many primitive animists think of animals as people - not in any anthropomorphic sense, but as 'dog people' and 'buffalo people' etc - each is different in many ways, some with senses with a higher level of acuity than man. Dogs are a good example of this.

Sheep and cattle have a reasonable level of intelligence. They deserve more respect. They should not be treated as mere commodities.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:33pm

I prefer to kill my meat myself whenever I get the chance.

Oceans how do you know he was lying?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 6:48am

Oceans I admire the stance you took and that you showed enough caring to make enquiries.  It's heartbreaking.  Sheep have a terrible life from the day they're born to the day they die.  It's a pity you didn't have a camera handy to take some photos.

Let's hope under this new government there will be changes to livestock transport.  Some inroads were being made before Howard came to power.  The ALP actually put a stop to the live animal export trade, but it was revived under the coalition - because it meant profits - at any cost.

Regardless of how much the Greens are derided, they will now have some say in humane activities and this is one area which needs immediate attention.

Thank goodness for most animal welfare groups who try to bring attention to this unacceptable suffering.  The RSPCA in SA is basically owned by the SA government and many of their policies rely on approval from the government because of the generous funding they receive.  If you had got the registration number of the truck and some photos - it would have made a great story for the local paper.  If you can find a caring journalist - they can start the ball rolling.  

After years of dealing with various animal welfare groups - most of them have told me that their hands are tied due to various laws and legislation and the only way to do something positive is to find a compassionate media outlet.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:35am

freediver wrote on Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:18pm:
Why was your daughter in tears? Did you get her to inspect the truck with you? Do you pull over so she can look at roadkill also?

You could always copy down the number plate and ring whatever abattoir it was going to. It's probably not good for the meat to have the beasts stressed like that. It's a shame what some people will do to a good steak.

Get my daughter to inspect the truck  ?..what are you on FD? [[ hearing a touch of sarcasm in that question]]It was obvious the distress and suffering from our car..they were clearly distressed .

I did copy the numberplate but as i didnt have a pen with me..I forgot it by the time I got to a phone..upon going back they were gone.

How do I know the truckie was lying ..? because I know the highway between Perth and Adelaide [ travelled that highway  a few times]..there are no unloading/loading ramps facilities..which would be neccessary to acheive a feed watering of two tiers of sheep off the back of a semi....as   Pt Augusta is a bit  over 2 hrs from Adelaide..They are not going to stop even if there IS a facility there. The Police agreed with me.. Maybe you need to leave the city..you dont know much about life in the outback.

Its not the truckies fault and that haul across the Nullabor is long and uncomfortable for humans in air conditoning let alone live animals crammed into the back of a truck.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 1:49pm by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:07am

Why would you need a ramp to feed and water them? It wouldn't surprise me if the animals weren't interested in food in that situation. Watering them should be fairly easy.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 10:47am

freediver wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:07am:
Why would you need a ramp to feed and water them? It wouldn't surprise me if the animals weren't interested in food in that situation. Watering them should be fairly easy.

How? A hose....... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 11:34am

Yes. And a couple of buckets. I'm sure they'd figure out something.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 1:45pm

freediver wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 11:34am:
Yes. And a couple of buckets. I'm sure they'd figure out something.

THat isnt going to happen. Wetting wool laden animals who then have to contend with even slipperier wooden boards..falling over ect. You cant bucket water a few hundred sheep crammed into the back of a double decker truck.
Have a look does it look feasible to you?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Sure. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with something to give then a quick drink through the gaps down the side. I don't see why making it slippery would be an issue. They piss everywhere anyway and it just streams out the back onto the windscreen of any car that follows too closely.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:00pm

freediver wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 1:58pm:
Sure. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with something to give then a quick drink through the gaps down the side. I don't see why making it slippery would be an issue. They piss everywhere anyway and it just streams out the back onto the windscreen of any car that follows too closely.

And what do you say as you swish the hose past them for a quick drink  "ok guys open your mouth..you only get one chance its now or never?"

These are animals that suck from a trough btw..not open their mouths to catch a few drops from th end of a hose.

Take that hat off your head FD..
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:05pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:02pm

Slippery wet floorboards? You honestly dont see this as a problem?..they cant lay down ..no room..so how are they to get back up if they slip over.?

If they slip over they will be trampled and die.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:02pm

The truckie said that they do.

Of course slippery surfaces are a problem, which is why they don't use smooth surfaces. Adding water won't make it any more slippery than it already is, given the piss and sh1t flowing over the side.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:06pm

freediver wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:02pm:
The truckie said that they do.

Of course slippery surfaces are a problem, which is why they don't use smooth surfaces. Adding water won't make it any more slippery than it already is, given the piss and sh1t flowing over the side.

He wasnt serious and neither are you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:15pm

How do you know he wasn't serious? Was he laughing?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:10am

Today I rang the RSPCA...they tell me in July legislation is going thru Parliament to make it illegal to transport live animals in the heat.

As it stands animals trucked this way are supposed to be rested and fed for 12/24 hours every 24..at the nearest stockyards. Im doubting this is happening tho'.

They say also Police are equipped with as much if not more power than the actual RSPCA in the absence of RSPCA being able to attend.

So Ill need to get back to the person who told me that "its not our area"..

I rang Pt Lincoln RSPCA [ none here] and they told me that on the Sunday when I called the Police that it had been recorded on their records that the truckies had actually been put on alert following a call they received 10-15 minutes previous ,which is when i called the police...not sure about the details until this afternoon when I get back to the person I spoke to.

contd.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:22am

That's fantastic Oceans.  About time some of these laws were changed.  I wonder if these new laws are Federal or State, because as I said before the RSPCA is more than a bit suspect in SA and from what I've read has strong ties with the government and the pig and egg farmers and it's all connected to their funding.

If they're Federal laws being changed - this means that the Greens and Garrett & others have been pushing this legislation. 

By you kicking up a fuss - you have done something positive.  It's amazing what you can do if you tread on the wrong toes then speak to the right people.

The problem is - hardly anyone cares anymore - so when someone comes along who does care and makes loud noises - it's amazing how after a little while those who haven't been doing their job properly start listening.

Great work Oceans - look forward to hearing about the outcome.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #18 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:40am

mantra wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 11:22am:
That's fantastic Oceans.  About time some of these laws were changed.  I wonder if these new laws are Federal or State, because as I said before the RSPCA is more than a bit suspect in SA and from what I've read has strong ties with the government and the pig and egg farmers and it's all connected to their funding.

If they're Federal laws being changed - this means that the Greens and Garrett & others have been pushing this legislation.  

By you kicking up a fuss - you have done something positive.  It's amazing what you can do if you tread on the wrong toes then speak to the right people.

The problem is - hardly anyone cares anymore - so when someone comes along who does care and makes loud noises - it's amazing how after a little while those who haven't been doing their job properly start listening.

Great work Oceans - look forward to hearing about the outcome.

Im not sure mantra..I never thought to ask that question...I will tho'. Im hoping its Federal.

Ill update later.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Every Australian should be aware of what their State Government is doing about what affects them, locally!   The Federal Government looks after Federal Legislation.  Try to comprehend the difference.

Do some research http://www.australia.gov.au/States_and_Territories#sa on State and Territory Governments and what current Bills their State Governments are debating.

Read a bit about the role that the States play in the overall Government of this country, Australia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_and_territories_of_Australia  

Educate yourself. You and others on this Forum can't understand the "three tier system" of Government we operate under.

It is not all about Federal Government  -v- The Opposition.  Tongue

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 7:21pm

Well seeing as you're so logical - logical - can you tell us whether this new legislation involving the transport of cattle is Federal or State?

This is what we were trying to determine.  Is the new government responsible for introducing these new humane laws for livestock or is it the State?  If this is state legislation, it means that once these cattle trucks get over the border they can do what they want and go back to abusing livestock.

IP Logged

logicalconclusion

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:30pm

Quote:
Well seeing as you're so logical - logical - can you tell us whether this new legislation involving the transport of cattle is Federal or State?

SHEEP Mantra ...... not cattle. Do you know the difference?

I gave you the links  ....  follow them!

Is the new government responsible for introducing these new humane laws for livestock or is it the State?  

I don't care. Rudd doesn't care. Garrett doesn't care. Swann doesn't care.    You google and find out. You are the one with the problem.

If this is state legislation, it means that once these cattle trucks get over the border they can do what they want and go back to abusing livestock.

The topic was SHEEP ... a bit like you and your buddies.  Who is abusing livestock?  The Truckers are merely doing their job moving livestock from one place to another to DIE and be eaten buy Aussies who like a BBQ lamb chop.  Personally I don't eat lamb or beef.  Tomatoes feel it when you chop them too, remember.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:59am

If you gave her the link, why would she need to google it? Is the 'link' you provided not as useful as you make out?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 10:23am

Does it matter ? They are going to be slaughtered anyway.

Oh, maybe it des, makes the meat tougher.
Uhuh - keep on the job oceans. I want unstressed beef burgers thanks Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 10:55am

Apparently it's lamb we're talking about, not beef. Don't go upsetting the wrong people.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:00pm

Quote:
Today I rang the RSPCA...they tell me in July legislation is going thru Parliament to make it illegal to transport live animals in the heat.

As it stands animals trucked this way are supposed to be rested and fed for 12/24 hours every 24..at the nearest stockyards. Im doubting this is happening tho'.

Yeah, that's fantastic.  We already pay $30 a kilo for decent steak, imagine how much it's going to cost when this ridiculous impost is added to the cost!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:03pm

You must buy it from Coles or Woolies. I can get decent rump for $6 per kilo at a few local butchers. Top quality stuff for $7 or $8.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:11pm

Never paid anything like $30.00 a kilo.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print