Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Jayant Patel behind bars (Read 6338 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jayant Patel behind bars
Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm

http://news.smh.com.au/dr-patel-in-jail-after-us-arrest/20080312-1yt1.html

Jayant Patel, the surgeon wanted for alleged botched surgeries in Queensland, has spent his first night in a high security prison in the US after FBI officers swooped on his Oregon home.

Patel put up no resistance when officers knocked on his door in Portland just after 7.30am local time (1.30am AEDT), FBI officials said.

The Indian-born 57-year-old, linked to the deaths of 17 patients at Bundaberg Base Hospital, later appeared in court and was remanded in custody.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Jayant Patel behind bars
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm

freediver wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm:

Jayant Patel, the surgeon wanted for alleged botched surgeries in Queensland, has spent his first night in a high security prison in the US after FBI officers swooped on his Oregon home.

Patel put up no resistance when officers knocked on his door in Portland just after 7.30am local time (1.30am AEDT), FBI officials said.

The Indian-born 57-year-old, linked to the deaths of 17 patients at Bundaberg Base Hospital, later appeared in court and was remanded in custody.

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

Is there anyone in this Country who believes Patel, dubbed 'Doctor Death' by the Australian Media, can get a fair trial in Australia?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:28pm

I think so. You'd just have to be careful with jury selection. Not everyone is going to be influenced by the media history. Once he is before the courts the media will be restricted in what can be published. Most people will have forgotten what was published over the years.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:51pm

FD, if this bloke gets extradited, he will be tried in Queensland.  The only place in Queensland where the Media have not infiltrated with their 'Doctor Death' headline.................(and that is the tip of this ice-berg) will be a one man shanty in outer-inner woop woop, somewhere west of Longreach where the smoke signallers did not know how send, eg, 'Doctor Death Jayant Patel.'

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:53pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm:

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

Is there anyone in this Country who believes Patel, dubbed 'Doctor Death' by the Australian Media, can get a fair trial in Australia?

He'll get the same fair trial that all people are guaranteed.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:08pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:53pm:
Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm:

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

He'll get the same fair trial that all people are guaranteed.

Where will they get a Queensland jury who has not heard/read this bloke described as, just for example, "Doctor Death?"

I note with interest that the ABC Radio are now using the word 'alleged' far more frequently than they did three (+-) years ago.

It's knife edge stuff.

But, my bet is that the USA will tell us to bugger off, as in my view, they ought.

Do you all know that the very agency which alleges this bloke was a criminal actually paid for him to leave Australia, and with glowing references.

That agency is the Queensland Government who now seeks his return as an alleged criminal.

How I'd just love to be Patel's Defence Attorney in the USA.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:08pm:
Where will they get a Queensland jury who has not heard/read this bloke described as, just for example, "Doctor Death?"

I note with interest that the ABC Radio are now using the word 'alleged' far more frequently than they did three (+-) years ago.

It's knife edge stuff.

But, my bet is that the USA will tell us to bugger off, as in my view, they ought.

Do you all know that the very agency which alleges this bloke was a criminal actually paid for him to leave Australia, and with glowing references.

That agency is the Queensland Government who now seeks his return as an alleged criminal.

How I'd just love to be Patel's Defence Attorney in the USA.

I'm not sure you would like to defend such a despicable chappy as he would you?

If the ABC had not been previously using the word 'alleged' someone wasn't doing their job very well.  They have pretty strict guidelines

But you're right and Nuttall should be shot for the cover up.  I think even, what's the new Health Minister's name, Robertson (?) wasn't as forthcoming as he could have been.

The whistleblower - the nurse Toni something or other - is a hero.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:37pm

Why not? Aussie has done nothing but defend despicable chappy's since he has been here
Cheesy

Although I don't think he would be hired on his track record so far...

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:52pm

Proving my point, DT said:

Quote:

My bolds within which, you prove my point about his complete NIL chance of getting a fair trial, here.

Bloody oath!  I would defend his extradition passionately, within personal/professional conscience, and successfully. This bloke's entitlement to a fair trial by his peers was totally destroyed by Beattie, other more recent politicians, and the Queensland media.

Look out for huge disappointment, Beryl Crosby et al.  And if he is not extradited, Beryl, whom will you blame?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:52pm:
Proving my point, DT said:

Quote:

My bolds within which, you prove my point about his complete NIL chance of getting a fair trial, here.

Bloody oath!  I would defend his extradition passionately, within personal/professional conscience, and successfully. This bloke's entitlement to a fair trial by his peers was totally destroyed by Beattie, other more recent politicians, and the Queensland media.

Look out for huge disappointment, Beryl Crosby et al.  And if he is not extradited, Beryl, whom will you blame?

A jury still need weigh all the evidence and (in theory) consider it impartially.   As I'm not on the jury I can call him despicable - what's more I reckon the moniker Dr Death is apt.  Last year I discussed this with the QC who was helping people negotiate to get compo for Dr Death's misdeeds and he tells a sad story.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:12pm

*Aussie shakes his head in despair.*

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:16pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:12pm:
*Aussie shakes his head in despair.*

Quite.  Which is why I support the downtrodden by voting Liberal.  And you support the Dr Deaths of the world and don't vote Liberal.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm

No, just a Lawyer who knows and understands his professional vocation.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:27pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:29pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:27pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

My regard is to ensure every bastard gets a fair trial, and this bloke has no chance!

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:29pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

My regard is to ensure every bastard gets a fair trial, and this bloke has no chance!

And how happy are the dead.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 5:04pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

Well, according to his widow, Gerry Kemps is laughing in his grave.  (I know these people DT.......................Bundaberg is my home town.)

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm:

Well, according to his widow, Gerry Kemps is laughing in his grave.  (I know these people DT.......................Bundaberg is my home town.)

All of them Aussie?

Maria Bramich holds a picture of her father, Des, who died after being operated on by Dr Patel.

Quote:
The doctor who left a town for dead

When he started work in Bundaberg on April 1, 2003, Jayant Patel told the locals they were lucky to have him. Nothing was beyond him, even in a place like provincial Queensland, where the facilities, he sneered, were "third world".

Over the next two years Dr Patel operated on 867 patients in Bundaberg, many of them several times. He was charming, brash, loud, confident and hard-working - a surgeon with just the right blend of arrogance and assurance. Only he wasn't, strictly speaking, a surgeon at all.

On April 1, 2005, Bundaberg hospital bosses approved Dr Patel's invoice for a $3547 one-way ticket to the US despite knowing he was up to his neck in accusations of fatal incompetence. They also knew he had been banned from practising in New York and been found guilty of gross negligence in Oregon.

Dr Patel, already dubbed "Dr Death" in local headlines, simply flew away, and the hospital picked up the tab. Where he is now, no one is sure. Maybe he's still in the US; perhaps he is back in his native India.

This week, hearings began into the deaths of 87 of Dr Patel's patients, 20 more than previously known. But the investigation, which has the sweeping powers of a royal commission, is not only concerned with fatalities. It is also looking at claims of needless suffering under Dr Patel's scalpel.

Know these people too?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Quote:
Know these people too?

Not many named in that article who lived in Bundaberg.

I played cricket against Gary Hosler, a very fine sportsman, (one of the very first professional cricketers to be actually paid by a local Club to play in regional country Queensland..........he came up from NSW to do so) who also died under Patel's knife.  I knew Gerry Kemps very well.

I am a Bundabergian, and yet I know they all there would mouth the need for Patel to get a fair trial.

There would also be not one Bundabergian who would give it to him.

Bundaberg wants to lynch him now......no trial.

Here is the bet DT.

I say the USA will not allow extradition at least on the ground that "Dr Death" cannot get a fair trial in the State of Queensland.

If in about three/four years and if you and I are still around here, I am wrong, then it will be my obligation to host you for beer and steak at the Breckie Creek.

If I am right, you get off scot free.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:11pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:02pm:
Quote:
Know these people too?

Not many named in that article who lived in Bundaberg.

I played cricket against Gary Hosler, a very fine sportsman, (one of the very first professional cricketers to be actually paid by a local Club to play in regional country Queensland..........he came up from NSW to do so) who also died under Patel's knife.  I knew Gerry Kemps very well.

I am a Bundabergian, and yet I know they all there would mouth the need for Patel to get a fair trial.

There would also be not one Bundabergian who would give it to him.

Bundaberg wants to lynch him now......no trial.

Here is the bet DT.

I say the USA will not allow extradition at least on the ground that "Dr Death" cannot get a fair trial in the State of Queensland.

If in about three/four years and if you and I are still around here, I am wrong, then it will be my obligation to host you for beer and steak at the Breckie Creek.

If I am right, you get off scot free.

It's a deal - but make mine a lemonade - I don't drink.

I reckon that the extradition will proceed no matter what argument the legal vultures make.  

I went to the Brekky Creek a couple of weeks ago actually mate - it's not far from where I live.  I went with a juicy rump.  But for my meal I had a T Bone.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Quote:
I reckon that the extradition will proceed no matter what argument the legal vultures make.

Of course it will proceed. Duh!

After about three/four years of lawyers making a motza, it will fail on the ground that there is no way Patel (dubbed "Dr Death") can get a fair trail.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #21 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:41pm:
Quote:

After about three/four years of lawyers making a motza, it will fail on the ground that there is no way Patel (dubbed "Dr Death") can get a fair trail.

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #22 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 8:54am

Quote:

Aussie, your kidding right?

The mans an outright murderer..who cares if he gets a fair trial...correction...I dont care if he gets a chance to wriggle out of his just deserts using loopholes in the system..[otherwise known as a "fair trial"]

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:30am

I think justice is more important than revenge.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #24 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am

freediver wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:30am:

'Revenge'?

Is bringing someone to trial considered to be 'revenge'?

And do you think justice for victims to be relevant?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:28pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am:
Quote:

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

It will certainly involve a close examination of all the "Dr Death" screaming headlines, Beattie's and Bligh's outrageous public statements both inside and outside Parliament, and even emotional irrational outrage like this...............

Quote:
The mans an outright murderer.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:39pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am:

'Revenge'?

The victims can get as much justice as they like.  They can commence their own civil proceedings.  As you well know, DT, in the criminal jurisdiction, there are only three parties, The Crown, the Accused and the Court constituted by the Judge and the Jury.  The accused is entitled to a fair trial by 12 peers who come to the Court with open minds uncontaminated by bias.  The Judge is there to see they get it.

In the process of extradition, the war will be fought on the usual bases but specifically in this case, the obvious argument to be made by Patel, that the USA of which he is a citizen should not hand him over to a bunch of foreign ares-holes who have already concluded he is a "murderer."  Responsibility for creating the environment of entrenched bias against Patel lies squarely at the feet of the media who created the character of 'Dr Death' and the richard head politicians who for political reasons contaminated open minds, and the DPP who could not bring herself to keep close counsel, and refrain from public statements about what she alleges is a strong case against Patel.

If the victims don't get what you reckon is justice, blame those idiots.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #27 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:15pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:28pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am:
Quote:

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

It will certainly involve a close examination of all the "Dr Death" screaming headlines, Beattie's and Bligh's outrageous public statements both inside and outside Parliament, and even emotional irrational outrage like this...............

Quote:
The mans an outright murderer.

If the US consider all that before considering extradition they must have a better ability to see into the future than any one of us.  No one can know what will happen in the future and any consideration the US courts may give to headlines or statements by media or government is well outside the extradition proceedings.  These should be argued on the legality of the charges proposed to be laid against the defendant.

After all it is not as if Patel is off to a country which has someone like Bob Brown as PM.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #28 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:17pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am:

'Revenge'?

The victims can get as much justice as they like.  They can commence their own civil proceedings.  As you well know, DT, in the criminal jurisdiction, there are only three parties, The Crown, the Accused and the Court constituted by the Judge and the Jury.  The accused is entitled to a fair trial by 12 peers who come to the Court with open minds uncontaminated by bias.  The Judge is there to see they get it.

In the process of extradition, the war will be fought on the usual bases but specifically in this case, the obvious argument to be made by Patel, that the USA of which he is a citizen should not hand him over to a bunch of foreign ares-holes who have already concluded he is a "murderer."  Responsibility for creating the environment of entrenched bias against Patel lies squarely at the feet of the media who created the character of 'Dr Death' and the richard head politicians who for political reasons contaminated open minds, and the DPP who could not bring herself to keep close counsel, and refrain from public statements about what she alleges is a strong case against Patel.

If the victims don't get what you reckon is justice, blame those idiots.

I'm sure freediver will be grateful you have answered for him Aussie.  However it would be good if freediver gives it his best shot.  I reckon he's working up to an answer in a week or so.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:53pm

The Australian extradition proceedings seek to send an American citizen, lawfully living in the freedom loving USA to face allegations in a foreign jurisdiction the populace of which have been told over and over that he is 'Dr Death, and that he is a 'murderer.'  I confidently expect the USA will protect it's citizens against such barbarity, to which you DT, have contributed.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #30 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:04pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:53pm:
The Australian extradition proceedings seek to send an American citizen, lawfully living in the freedom loving USA to face allegations in a foreign jurisdiction the populace of which have been told over and over that he is 'Dr Death, and that he is a 'murderer.'  I confidently expect the USA will protect it's citizens against such barbarity, to which you DT, have contributed.

Me barbarous?  How dare you.  I have never cut anyone's hair in my life.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #31 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:06pm

The Australian extradition proceedings seek to send an American citizen, lawfully living in the freedom loving USA to face allegations in a foreign jurisdiction the populace of which have been told over and over that he is 'Dr Death, and that he is a 'murderer.'  I confidently expect the USA will protect it's citizens against such barbarity, to which you DT, have contributed.

Actually I'm pretty impressed that you have started pleading his case already.  Is he paying you?  

Unfortunately no one will believe you as we live in Australia, the country you say is barbarous.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:48pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:19pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:06pm:
The Australian extradition proceedings seek to send an American citizen, lawfully living in the freedom loving USA to face allegations in a foreign jurisdiction the populace of which have been told over and over that he is 'Dr Death, and that he is a 'murderer.'  I confidently expect the USA will protect it's citizens against such barbarity, to which you DT, have contributed.

Actually I'm pretty impressed that you have started pleading his case already.  Is he paying you? 

Unfortunately no one will believe you as we live in Australia, the country you say is barbarous.

(Why is this Forum so slow ATM?)

No, no-one is paying me.  Should they?

It matters jack pooey that we live in Australia. The extradition decision will be made in the USA, and that USA Court will be told about how 'Dr. Death' has NIL chance of a fair trial in Bundaberg, or anywhere in Queensland where there is access to the Media.

Any suggestions, DT?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #33 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:06pm:

Actually I'm pretty impressed that you have started pleading his case already.  Is he paying you?  

(Why is this Forum so slow ATM?)

No, no-one is paying me.  Should they?

It matters jack pooey that we live in Australia. The extradition decision will be made in the USA, and that USA Court will be told about how 'Dr. Death' has NIL chance of a fair trial in Bundaberg, or anywhere in Queensland where there is access to the Media.

Any suggestions, DT?

Yes.  I don't believe the USA will think it needs to "protect it's citizens against such barbarity" when the extradition request is from Australia.

While you may think Australia to be barbaric most people realise that in Australia we have the right to a fair trial, we have the right to full legal representation and we have courts which are impartial as far as it is possible to be.

Many cases are tried where there is a lot of negative publicity.  Unless you suggest none of them are held in Australia why are you singling one case out for particular attention.

And besides which, I don't think of the USA as a refuge for fugitives.  If they harbour Patel on the basis he may not get a fair trial in barbaric Australia then everyone will head for the USA to escape justice.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:26pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:10pm

The USA is a haven for people escaping the barbaric justice system of their 'home' country. We take a few refugees too.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:13pm

freediver wrote on Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:10pm:
The USA is a haven for people escaping the barbaric justice system of their 'home' country. We take a few refugees too.

Do you think Patel is a refugee?  He's a citizen of the USA according to Aussie.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Tony Mokbel
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 3:48pm

Aussie do you think Tony Mokbel will get a fair trial?

Five Mokbel charges to be dropped

http://news.smh.com.au/five-mokbel-charges-to-be-dropped/20080319-20b7.html

Victoria Police will be forced to drop five charges against convicted drugs baron Tony Mokbel, including four of drug trafficking, following a Greek court's order that he be returned to Australia.

Mokbel, 43, appeared overnight in Greece's Supreme Court in Athens and was ordered to be returned to Australia to face 15 charges, including two of murder.

But five other charges - one of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and four related to drug trafficking - cannot go ahead because the offences are not recognised in Greece.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:03pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #37 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 8:21pm

It seems the newspapers disagree with Aussie that there may be doubt about Patel getting a fair trial.  It seems that it is not even mentioned - the main issue seems to be Dr Death's attempt to get the US taxpayers to fund his fight against the extradition.

Quote:
Patel ordered to pay for own legal case

Former Queensland doctor Jayant Patel will be forced to pay for his own legal and extradition costs, following his failing in a bid to have US taxpayers foot the bill.

Jayant Patel was officially arrested and charged for the manslaughter of three people, and is likely to be extradited to face the charges in Australia.

Patel had asked the court to allow for state assistance in his legal case, however a court ruled that the former surgeon had significant wealth of his own.

The court is also yet to rule on a bail application by Patel, which would see the former Doctor released while awaiting his extradition hearing.

Justice awaits you Dr Death

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:19pm

DT:

Quote:
It seems the newspapers disagree with Aussie that there may be doubt about Patel getting a fair trial.

.....and there ^^^^ you lie equating his request for publicly funded defence (which was denied) with getting a fair trial.

Ho hum.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #39 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:22pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
DT:

Quote:
It seems the newspapers disagree with Aussie that there may be doubt about Patel getting a fair trial.

.....and there ^^^^ you lie equating his request for publicly funded defence (which was denied) with getting a fair trial.

Ho hum.

Not at all.   Once you read my post for the first time you will see the paper had predicted Dr Death "is likely to be extradited to face the charges in Australia". 

They didn't mention any likelihood of the extradition not being granted on the basis that he may not receive a fair trial.

Have a read.   It's all there.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:28pm

You did..........

Quote:

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #41 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:28pm:
You did..........

Quote:

Thanks

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 4:18pm

from crikey:

Rod Raymont writes: Has sub-judice and the presumption of innocence become almost meaningless to the media? Last week we had newspaper reports that, according to classmates, the Sydney boy accused of stabbing his father to death and seriously injuring his mother had compiled "death lists" of people at school who bullied him. Not prejudicial? Now we have on the front page of yesterday's Telegraph a headline asserting that swimmer Nick D'Arcy had made a "cruel attack" on Simon Cowley and therefore should be kicked off the Olympic team. Whether he should be kicked off the team is a whole other debate but bugger me, can we wait for Police and Olympic officials to complete their inquiries or doesn't anyone care about proper legal proceedings anymore? Some former State Attorneys Generals can testify to the outrage from media companies when they dare charge them with contempt over some of these reports but it looks like it might have to happen more often.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print