Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jayant Patel behind bars (Read 6335 times)
deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Jayant Patel behind bars
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:29pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:27pm:
Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm:
No, just a Lawyer who knows and understands his professional vocation.

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

My regard is to ensure every bastard gets a fair trial, and this bloke has no chance!

And how happy are the dead.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 5:04pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

My regard is to ensure every bastard gets a fair trial, and this bloke has no chance!

Well, according to his widow, Gerry Kemps is laughing in his grave.  (I know these people DT.......................Bundaberg is my home town.)

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

Well, according to his widow, Gerry Kemps is laughing in his grave.  (I know these people DT.......................Bundaberg is my home town.)

All of them Aussie?

Maria Bramich holds a picture of her father, Des, who died after being operated on by Dr Patel.

Quote:
The doctor who left a town for dead

When he started work in Bundaberg on April 1, 2003, Jayant Patel told the locals they were lucky to have him. Nothing was beyond him, even in a place like provincial Queensland, where the facilities, he sneered, were "third world".

Over the next two years Dr Patel operated on 867 patients in Bundaberg, many of them several times. He was charming, brash, loud, confident and hard-working - a surgeon with just the right blend of arrogance and assurance. Only he wasn't, strictly speaking, a surgeon at all.

On April 1, 2005, Bundaberg hospital bosses approved Dr Patel's invoice for a $3547 one-way ticket to the US despite knowing he was up to his neck in accusations of fatal incompetence. They also knew he had been banned from practising in New York and been found guilty of gross negligence in Oregon.

Dr Patel, already dubbed "Dr Death" in local headlines, simply flew away, and the hospital picked up the tab. Where he is now, no one is sure. Maybe he's still in the US; perhaps he is back in his native India.

This week, hearings began into the deaths of 87 of Dr Patel's patients, 20 more than previously known. But the investigation, which has the sweeping powers of a royal commission, is not only concerned with fatalities. It is also looking at claims of needless suffering under Dr Patel's scalpel.

Know these people too?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Quote:
Know these people too?

Not many named in that article who lived in Bundaberg.

I played cricket against Gary Hosler, a very fine sportsman, (one of the very first professional cricketers to be actually paid by a local Club to play in regional country Queensland..........he came up from NSW to do so) who also died under Patel's knife.  I knew Gerry Kemps very well.

I am a Bundabergian, and yet I know they all there would mouth the need for Patel to get a fair trial.

There would also be not one Bundabergian who would give it to him.

Bundaberg wants to lynch him now......no trial.

Here is the bet DT.

I say the USA will not allow extradition at least on the ground that "Dr Death" cannot get a fair trial in the State of Queensland.

If in about three/four years and if you and I are still around here, I am wrong, then it will be my obligation to host you for beer and steak at the Breckie Creek.

If I am right, you get off scot free.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:11pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:02pm:
Quote:
Know these people too?

Not many named in that article who lived in Bundaberg.

I played cricket against Gary Hosler, a very fine sportsman, (one of the very first professional cricketers to be actually paid by a local Club to play in regional country Queensland..........he came up from NSW to do so) who also died under Patel's knife.  I knew Gerry Kemps very well.

I am a Bundabergian, and yet I know they all there would mouth the need for Patel to get a fair trial.

There would also be not one Bundabergian who would give it to him.

Bundaberg wants to lynch him now......no trial.

Here is the bet DT.

I say the USA will not allow extradition at least on the ground that "Dr Death" cannot get a fair trial in the State of Queensland.

If in about three/four years and if you and I are still around here, I am wrong, then it will be my obligation to host you for beer and steak at the Breckie Creek.

If I am right, you get off scot free.

It's a deal - but make mine a lemonade - I don't drink.

I reckon that the extradition will proceed no matter what argument the legal vultures make.  

I went to the Brekky Creek a couple of weeks ago actually mate - it's not far from where I live.  I went with a juicy rump.  But for my meal I had a T Bone.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Quote:
I reckon that the extradition will proceed no matter what argument the legal vultures make.

Of course it will proceed. Duh!

After about three/four years of lawyers making a motza, it will fail on the ground that there is no way Patel (dubbed "Dr Death") can get a fair trail.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #21 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:41pm:
Quote:

After about three/four years of lawyers making a motza, it will fail on the ground that there is no way Patel (dubbed "Dr Death") can get a fair trail.

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #22 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 8:54am

Quote:

Aussie, your kidding right?

The mans an outright murderer..who cares if he gets a fair trial...correction...I dont care if he gets a chance to wriggle out of his just deserts using loopholes in the system..[otherwise known as a "fair trial"]

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:30am

I think justice is more important than revenge.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #24 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am

freediver wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:30am:

'Revenge'?

Is bringing someone to trial considered to be 'revenge'?

And do you think justice for victims to be relevant?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:28pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am:
Quote:

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

It will certainly involve a close examination of all the "Dr Death" screaming headlines, Beattie's and Bligh's outrageous public statements both inside and outside Parliament, and even emotional irrational outrage like this...............

Quote:
The mans an outright murderer.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:39pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am:

'Revenge'?

The victims can get as much justice as they like.  They can commence their own civil proceedings.  As you well know, DT, in the criminal jurisdiction, there are only three parties, The Crown, the Accused and the Court constituted by the Judge and the Jury.  The accused is entitled to a fair trial by 12 peers who come to the Court with open minds uncontaminated by bias.  The Judge is there to see they get it.

In the process of extradition, the war will be fought on the usual bases but specifically in this case, the obvious argument to be made by Patel, that the USA of which he is a citizen should not hand him over to a bunch of foreign ares-holes who have already concluded he is a "murderer."  Responsibility for creating the environment of entrenched bias against Patel lies squarely at the feet of the media who created the character of 'Dr Death' and the richard head politicians who for political reasons contaminated open minds, and the DPP who could not bring herself to keep close counsel, and refrain from public statements about what she alleges is a strong case against Patel.

If the victims don't get what you reckon is justice, blame those idiots.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #27 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:15pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:28pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:46am:
Quote:

Tell me this though Aussie.   During an extradition trial does jurisdiction extend to fortune telling about the imagined outcome of any possible future trial?

It will certainly involve a close examination of all the "Dr Death" screaming headlines, Beattie's and Bligh's outrageous public statements both inside and outside Parliament, and even emotional irrational outrage like this...............

Quote:
The mans an outright murderer.

If the US consider all that before considering extradition they must have a better ability to see into the future than any one of us.  No one can know what will happen in the future and any consideration the US courts may give to headlines or statements by media or government is well outside the extradition proceedings.  These should be argued on the legality of the charges proposed to be laid against the defendant.

After all it is not as if Patel is off to a country which has someone like Bob Brown as PM.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #28 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:17pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:41am:

'Revenge'?

The victims can get as much justice as they like.  They can commence their own civil proceedings.  As you well know, DT, in the criminal jurisdiction, there are only three parties, The Crown, the Accused and the Court constituted by the Judge and the Jury.  The accused is entitled to a fair trial by 12 peers who come to the Court with open minds uncontaminated by bias.  The Judge is there to see they get it.

In the process of extradition, the war will be fought on the usual bases but specifically in this case, the obvious argument to be made by Patel, that the USA of which he is a citizen should not hand him over to a bunch of foreign ares-holes who have already concluded he is a "murderer."  Responsibility for creating the environment of entrenched bias against Patel lies squarely at the feet of the media who created the character of 'Dr Death' and the richard head politicians who for political reasons contaminated open minds, and the DPP who could not bring herself to keep close counsel, and refrain from public statements about what she alleges is a strong case against Patel.

If the victims don't get what you reckon is justice, blame those idiots.

I'm sure freediver will be grateful you have answered for him Aussie.  However it would be good if freediver gives it his best shot.  I reckon he's working up to an answer in a week or so.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 5:53pm

The Australian extradition proceedings seek to send an American citizen, lawfully living in the freedom loving USA to face allegations in a foreign jurisdiction the populace of which have been told over and over that he is 'Dr Death, and that he is a 'murderer.'  I confidently expect the USA will protect it's citizens against such barbarity, to which you DT, have contributed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print