Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jayant Patel behind bars (Read 6457 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jayant Patel behind bars
Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm

http://news.smh.com.au/dr-patel-in-jail-after-us-arrest/20080312-1yt1.html

Jayant Patel, the surgeon wanted for alleged botched surgeries in Queensland, has spent his first night in a high security prison in the US after FBI officers swooped on his Oregon home.

Patel put up no resistance when officers knocked on his door in Portland just after 7.30am local time (1.30am AEDT), FBI officials said.

The Indian-born 57-year-old, linked to the deaths of 17 patients at Bundaberg Base Hospital, later appeared in court and was remanded in custody.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Jayant Patel behind bars
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm

freediver wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:52pm:

Jayant Patel, the surgeon wanted for alleged botched surgeries in Queensland, has spent his first night in a high security prison in the US after FBI officers swooped on his Oregon home.

Patel put up no resistance when officers knocked on his door in Portland just after 7.30am local time (1.30am AEDT), FBI officials said.

The Indian-born 57-year-old, linked to the deaths of 17 patients at Bundaberg Base Hospital, later appeared in court and was remanded in custody.

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

Is there anyone in this Country who believes Patel, dubbed 'Doctor Death' by the Australian Media, can get a fair trial in Australia?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:28pm

I think so. You'd just have to be careful with jury selection. Not everyone is going to be influenced by the media history. Once he is before the courts the media will be restricted in what can be published. Most people will have forgotten what was published over the years.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:51pm

FD, if this bloke gets extradited, he will be tried in Queensland.  The only place in Queensland where the Media have not infiltrated with their 'Doctor Death' headline.................(and that is the tip of this ice-berg) will be a one man shanty in outer-inner woop woop, somewhere west of Longreach where the smoke signallers did not know how send, eg, 'Doctor Death Jayant Patel.'

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:53pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm:

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

Is there anyone in this Country who believes Patel, dubbed 'Doctor Death' by the Australian Media, can get a fair trial in Australia?

He'll get the same fair trial that all people are guaranteed.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:08pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:53pm:
Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:24pm:

Forget about whether he is guilty or not.  My question is this.

He'll get the same fair trial that all people are guaranteed.

Where will they get a Queensland jury who has not heard/read this bloke described as, just for example, "Doctor Death?"

I note with interest that the ABC Radio are now using the word 'alleged' far more frequently than they did three (+-) years ago.

It's knife edge stuff.

But, my bet is that the USA will tell us to bugger off, as in my view, they ought.

Do you all know that the very agency which alleges this bloke was a criminal actually paid for him to leave Australia, and with glowing references.

That agency is the Queensland Government who now seeks his return as an alleged criminal.

How I'd just love to be Patel's Defence Attorney in the USA.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:08pm:
Where will they get a Queensland jury who has not heard/read this bloke described as, just for example, "Doctor Death?"

I note with interest that the ABC Radio are now using the word 'alleged' far more frequently than they did three (+-) years ago.

It's knife edge stuff.

But, my bet is that the USA will tell us to bugger off, as in my view, they ought.

Do you all know that the very agency which alleges this bloke was a criminal actually paid for him to leave Australia, and with glowing references.

That agency is the Queensland Government who now seeks his return as an alleged criminal.

How I'd just love to be Patel's Defence Attorney in the USA.

I'm not sure you would like to defend such a despicable chappy as he would you?

If the ABC had not been previously using the word 'alleged' someone wasn't doing their job very well.  They have pretty strict guidelines

But you're right and Nuttall should be shot for the cover up.  I think even, what's the new Health Minister's name, Robertson (?) wasn't as forthcoming as he could have been.

The whistleblower - the nurse Toni something or other - is a hero.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:37pm

Why not? Aussie has done nothing but defend despicable chappy's since he has been here
Cheesy

Although I don't think he would be hired on his track record so far...

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:52pm

Proving my point, DT said:

Quote:

My bolds within which, you prove my point about his complete NIL chance of getting a fair trial, here.

Bloody oath!  I would defend his extradition passionately, within personal/professional conscience, and successfully. This bloke's entitlement to a fair trial by his peers was totally destroyed by Beattie, other more recent politicians, and the Queensland media.

Look out for huge disappointment, Beryl Crosby et al.  And if he is not extradited, Beryl, whom will you blame?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:52pm:
Proving my point, DT said:

Quote:

My bolds within which, you prove my point about his complete NIL chance of getting a fair trial, here.

Bloody oath!  I would defend his extradition passionately, within personal/professional conscience, and successfully. This bloke's entitlement to a fair trial by his peers was totally destroyed by Beattie, other more recent politicians, and the Queensland media.

Look out for huge disappointment, Beryl Crosby et al.  And if he is not extradited, Beryl, whom will you blame?

A jury still need weigh all the evidence and (in theory) consider it impartially.   As I'm not on the jury I can call him despicable - what's more I reckon the moniker Dr Death is apt.  Last year I discussed this with the QC who was helping people negotiate to get compo for Dr Death's misdeeds and he tells a sad story.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:12pm

*Aussie shakes his head in despair.*

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:16pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:12pm:
*Aussie shakes his head in despair.*

Quite.  Which is why I support the downtrodden by voting Liberal.  And you support the Dr Deaths of the world and don't vote Liberal.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm

No, just a Lawyer who knows and understands his professional vocation.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:27pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 4:29pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:27pm:
Aussie wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm:

Lawyers have choices Aussie.  While you may have no regard for those who allegedly suffered at the hands of Patel and a great deal of regard for the alleged instigator, I feel the opposite.

My regard is to ensure every bastard gets a fair trial, and this bloke has no chance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print