Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kangaroo..good for the body and mind!!! (Read 55509 times)
John(Guest)

Kangaroo..good for the body and mind!!!
Feb 21st, 2008 at 9:25am

I have been performing special research with kangaroo meat and have found that it might be a cure for Mental illnesses and high anxieties. Try serving some meat to a person who suffers scizophrenia and let me know how he does and feels.
I wish they would let it go through here in Califonia and am hoping that it passes.
Question!
Do you know of any restaraunts who serve kangaroo meat in Southern California or is it still illegal?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Kangaroo..good for the body and mind!!!
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:01am

Quote:
I have been performing special research with kangaroo meat and have found that it might be a cure for Mental illnesses and high anxieties. Try serving some meat to a person who suffers scizophrenia and let me know how he does and feels.
I wish they would let it go through here in Califonia and am hoping that it passes.
Question!
Do you know of any restaraunts who serve kangaroo meat in Southern California or is it still illegal?

I recently heard that boxingkangaroo burned him/herself.  There may be edible parts after that incident.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:26am

I think it is still illegal. The gubbernator was supposed to sign off on the bill to make it legal late last year, but it seems he didn't have the balls.

Where are you hoping to publish your results? The Lancet? Do we have to tell the crazy person they are eating skippy?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/kangaroo-law.html

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1179303108

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

boxingkangaroo

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:27am

Quote:
Question!

Hey John,

Yes me and my family of herbivores ,used as steak tartare ,have been proven to be good for the old grey matter , not one of my herd with anything like a twinge twitch or nervous tick even.

I did burn myself but only while cooking up a nice slab of human. Now that sh it will make you sick in head.

Im not sure were you can buy any roo bungers, (esp good with a bit of garlic and a good splash of port.) but the supermarkets here have it freely available.

have heard cod liver oil/omega 3 is also good to ward off the heeby jeebies or as we like to say here in Aussie, if your mad as a cut snake its too late anyway, a good 303 to head is always beneficial.         Cheesy

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Fry me kangaroo down
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 8:45pm

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/features/online/2130/fry-me-kangaroo-down

It’s just meat, okay? Get over it. If you’re really green at heart, and not a vegetarian, then you ought to think about eating Skippy.

"What?" I hear you say. "Throw a treasured native species on the barbie? How can that be environmentally correct?"

If you think about it, that question is a no-brainer for any conservation-minded person. First, kangaroos are not farmed (and may never be). They’re wild animals, perfectly suited to the dry and unforgiving Australian environment.

Unlike our imported domesticated livestock – such as sheep, cows, pigs – they don’t breed like clockwork every year regardless of the availability of the resources they need to survive. When times are tough, they wait until things get better before producing more offspring.

Not so fast

They haven’t been selected to grow fast and fat, and they are superb at conserving energy and water, so they don’t need to eat or drink prolifically like those European interlopers. They don’t leave wet sloppy piles of dung for flies to breed in, just nice, dry grassy pellets. No flies on them.

They don’t have hard hooves either, so they don’t compact the all-important humus layer of the soil, or cut up riverbanks and leave them vulnerable to erosion.

All of which means they put less pressure on fragile ecosystems, especially in the agricultural zones that have suffered so much damage since European settlement.

Second, only four of the sixty or so species of kangaroos are harvested: the ones that have boomed in numbers as a result of our provision of more pastures and watering holes. It is we who created the kangaroo population imbalance; and harvesting them helps set it right.

Conservation through sustainable use

Third, and most important, is that the kangaroo industry is an excellent working example of the concept of conservation through sustainable use (or CSU). To maintain kangaroo numbers for sustainable harvesting, you need to maintain kangaroo habitat. Roos like a nice patch of bush to shelter from the midday sun, for example, so maintaining lots of them means maintaining lots of bush.

In turn, that bush is a vital habitat and refuge for many other plants and animals – the countless birds, bugs, butterflies, native flowers, shrubs and bushes that make up a healthy bushland, not to mention the far greater numbers of unseen but vital micro-organisms that make everything tick.

Instead of bland monocultures of pasture (often sown with invasive exotic grasses), CSU delivers a more diverse, more robust ecosystem that can better withstand fires, droughts and climate change.

Everyone wins, including landholders, because resources that are sustainably harvested from natural ecosystems not only have greater ecological resilience but economic resilience as well.

Kangaroo meat: much better for environment

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2129/kangaroo-meat-much-better-environment

SYDNEY: Skippy could be increasingly on the menu following a new report that expanding the kangaroo industry would significantly cut Australian greenhouse gases.

A paper in the journal Conservation Letters says reducing cattle and sheep populations and increasing the kangaroo numbers to 175 million by 2020 would lower greenhouse gas emissions by 16 megatonnes, or three per cent of Australia's total emissions.

Greenhouse impact

The paper's lead author – George Wilson of the University of New South Wales in Sydney – said a proposal to reduce sheep and cattle numbers on the rangelands by 30 per cent should be considered.

"Sheep and cattle constitute 11 per cent of Australia's total greenhouse gas emissions," said Wilson who is involved with the university's Future of Australian Terrestrial Ecosystems (FATE) project. "Kangaroos, however, produce relatively little methane because they are not ruminants."

Mike Archer, UNSW dean of science and a long time advocate for sustainably farming Australian bush 'tucker', said that kangaroo can be promoted as a means of increasing health, wealth and happiness (see, Fry me kangaroo down, Cosmos Online).

"Eating more kangaroo has an incredible array of benefits, for our environment, for dietary health and as a tasty red meat," he said. "The soft padded feet of kangaroos are far kinder to the land than the hooves of sheep and cattle, which have caused untold damage and consequent land erosion."

Open to trying it

Kangaroos emit one-third as much methane as ruminant animals, such as cows or goats, which are responsible for 60 per cent of global methane emissions. Like carbon dioxide, methane is a greenhouse gas that is significantly contributing to global warming.

In the past decade, the proportion of Australians eating kangaroo meat has risen from 51 to 58.5 per cent, according to a recent national survey conducted by the FATE project.

Around 15 per cent of Australians are regular consumers of kangaroo meat, eating it four or more times per year, while more than 50 per cent of people have tried it (33 per cent) or are open to trying it (21 per cent).

Reducing your red meat footprint

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1581/reducing-your-red-meat-footprint

SYDNEY: If they really want to offset climate change, carnivores around the world should cut down their meat consumption by around 10 per cent, says a new report.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 9:09am

Pretty good idea overall. The kangaroo I have eaten was very tough.

Have learnt since then that by aging meat well (in vacuum bags) the meat improves , so that'ld help.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:12am

I tried couple of products, but not impressed with taste.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:41pm

Yes sprint, good idea that stangely I had not thought of. Vaccum seal with a nice marinade and then slow cook.

The toughness is apparently related to over cooking, but I have to say I do not generally like the taste of game meat or rare meat so I have avoided eating "old man roo". I think you may have a solution there.

FD, I am with you 100% on eating native fauna. The benefits are immense, to habitat, species and society. Possum has become a meat product in NZ as a way of trying to benefit and control, what for NZ is, a pest species. I don't know about an associated fur industry but I got no problem buying NZ possum fur products. I'd love a Daniel Boon hat.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

The Warrigal

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 4:57pm

Agree wholeheartedly that the benifits of consuming native fauna outweighs any of the perceived negatives.

With regard to the flavour of game meat.

Cookery is cookery, but there are a few tricks of the trade if you want the best flavour from many game meats.

Kangaroo meat can be very dry if you are inexperienced at cooking it.

Marinade makes a big difference as can adding some fat to the meat before roasting.

Properly cooked, kangaroo is not unlike good veal and I have never seen anybody turn up their nose at it.

I have never tried possum meat for obvious reasons, but if the Kiwis are building a possum fur and meat industry to help what has become a pest animal for them, then I would gladly support that industry.

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Pity that price is high.

I think to make it more acceptable, price would have to be lower than that of chicken.

At the moment looks that kangaroo meat is put there as "rare delicacy", which is not.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 6:51pm

I can get rump for $7 per kilo at a butcher nearby. Roo at coles is around $18 I think. But the roo mice is top quality and cheap. For some dishes - especially Mexican - the dryness works in your favour. The last thing you want is beef juice dribbling out of your burrito while it falls apart. It also works great for bolognese. I guess all the tomatoe keeps it moist. Kangaroo roasts are also good, especially if you only want a small serve.

Apparently you can get possum meat at some restaurants. It comes from Tassie, where they are still allowed to harvest them. Here on the mainland possums are just as much a pest as in NZ, because they are so overpopulated - especially if there are no dogs in your suburb.

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 11:55am

I'm a big advocate of industrialized Kangaroo farming. Not just because of the obvious environmental benefits that could be reaped from such a practice, but because I personally am an enormous aficionado of its flavor. I've always found it annoying that its economic potential still remains relatively untapped.

I can get half a kilo of a high quality cut for about $6 here. Not really that expensive either. My advice for people cooking it up is to add red wine, garlic, two sliced onions, parsley, basil and rosemary. Don't overcook; the flavor seems to eviscerate a little if the blood has been completely boiled out.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:38pm

My family have eaten kangaroos for a very long time. Something that I was always taught, that you have to cook it well through, because it is infested with parasites. Don't ever eat the stuff rare.

I went to a restaurant that had kangaroo, and I asked for it to be cooked well done, and the chef said he would only cook it rare, and not compromise his standards. No way I was ordering it then.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:00pm

The test and health attributes of meat of a grazing animal depends on the pasture they graze on.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 8:57am

Yes that is true, so roo from better grassland areas should taste better and be healthier.

Like Cal though, I will have my roo well cooked none the less as roos are usually driven off the better pastures.

This is what I don't understand about the wild pig industry and the european love affair with Australian wild pork. These animals are mostly harvested from pasture poor areas, that are constantly in drought using animals that regularly eat carrion. Survival conditions only food for me I'm afraid. Unless it's been harvested from the lusher rainforest parts of the country.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print