Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hijack attempt shows marshal need: Pyne (Read 807 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Hijack attempt shows marshal need: Pyne
Feb 8th, 2008 at 12:06pm

http://news.smh.com.au/hijack-attempt-shows-marshal-need-pyne/20080208-1qxk.html

The attempted hijacking of a New Zealand passenger plane highlights the need for sky marshals in Australia, the federal opposition says.

A woman was detained by police at Christchurch Airport on Wednesday morning after she allegedly stabbed two pilots and threatened to blow up a plane in a hijack attempt.

Mr Pyne said the federal government had indicated it was planning to axe the sky marshals program, set up by the former Howard government.

"There should not be a value placed on the safety of travelling passengers in Australia or travelling overseas.

"And for Labor to even consider bringing their razor gang to the national security programs like sky marshals I think is a very backward step."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Hijack attempt shows marshal need: Pyne
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:13pm

She was a muzzie refugee.

Stop them coming in.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Govt defends cuts to sky marshal p
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 6:56pm

http://news.smh.com.au/govt-defends-cuts-to-sky-marshal-program/20080214-1sa3.html

The Rudd government has defended moves to reduce the number of sky marshals on commercial flights.

The sky marshals, officially called air security officers (ASOs), were introduced by the previous government after the September 11 attacks to avert potential hijackings of commercial aircraft.

But Labor admitted there had been "changes" to the program, after reports last month suggested the number of sky marshals would be cut by a third on some international routes.

"I'm advised these changes are in line with recommendations from an operational risk assessment review conducted for the AFP (Australian Federal Police), and are consistent with international best practice for the ASO program.

"The risk assessment has not led to a reduction in the number of international flights covered by the program."

The AFP has said there are about 130 trained, armed security officers available to patrol domestic and international flights.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print