Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4WDs and bullbars in the suburbs (Read 850 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
4WDs and bullbars in the suburbs
Feb 8th, 2008 at 11:57am

While a ban may not be feasible, I think we do need to create some kind of disincentive for the use of bullbars and 4WDs in the suburbs and for commuting to work.

Girl critical, dog dead after hit by 4WD

A 15-year-old girl is in a critical condition and her dog is dead after they were hit by a four-wheel drive on the Gold Coast.

"Initial police investigations indicate that the child was crossing at an intersection which is controlled by traffic lights," a police spokeswoman said.

It was the second serious pedestrian incident on the Gold Coast.

Southport State High School student Jye Strong, 16, was killed and a friend was seriously injured after they were mown down at Labrador about 11.30am Thursday.

The other boy, 15, was taken to Gold Coast Hospital where he was on life support.

Push for mandatory cameras in 4WDs

http://news.smh.com.au/push-for-mandatory-cameras-in-4wds/20080306-1xbi.html

Most Australians believe rear vision cameras should be mandatory in four-wheel-drives and many people resent the vehicles outright, a survey has found.

Research commissioned by insurer AAMI found that three quarters of Australians (75 per cent) support compulsory cameras in 4WDs to improve safety when reversing.

The survey of 2,380 licensed drivers, conducted by Sweeney Research, also found that most drivers object to 4WDs on city roads.

The vehicles are increasingly popular, with the Australian sport utility vehicle market growing by 16 per cent last year.

Six in 10 Australians surveyed said the city was no place for 4WDs, while 66 per cent said they thought they were a danger to other road users.

Qld govt seeks safer driveways

http://news.smh.com.au/qld-govt-seeks-safer-driveways/20080307-1xu1.html

New home builders in Queensland will be encouraged to install child-resistant fencing and self-closing gates and doors near driveways in a bid to cut the number of accidental deaths.

The Queensland government on Friday endorsed the findings of a parliamentary Travelsafe committee report into driveway deaths.

"We are not going to mandate it, people cannot be forced to do these things, but there is increasing use of government standards in relation to safe and sustainable houses and we are going to put it in there," Ms Bligh said.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2008 at 4:01pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print