Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sewage outfalls a disgrace: Hunt (Read 1222 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Sewage outfalls a disgrace: Hunt
Jan 2nd, 2008 at 4:05pm

http://news.smh.com.au/sewage-outfalls-a-disgrace-hunt/20080102-1jv5.html

The federal opposition has called on Prime Minister Kevin Rudd to pressure state governments to stop dumping sewage into Australia's coastal waters.

Environment spokesman Greg Hunt will meet later this month with his state Liberal counterparts to plan a Clean Up Our Coasts campaign aimed at forcing state governments to recycle sewage water currently being dumped into the ocean.

"There are about 140 ocean outfalls around Australia. That's 1,800 billion litres of sewage that's being dumped, anything from raw to primary to secondary and a very small amount of tertiary, into our coasts," Mr Hunt told AAP.

"That's a pollution problem and a monumental waste of recyclable water.

"The rest of the developed world makes much better use of their recyclable water than the Australian states do generally."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Re: Sewage outfalls a disgrace: Hunt
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:09pm

Are there any sewerage outfalls in Marine Parks?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:21pm

I think so.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 11:51am

How about just reducing the human population by 20% in coastal areas? Its no less radical than banning fishing in 20% of the ocean and will probably do the environment more good!
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008 at 1:36pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Sea changers 'turfed out' coalition
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 12:24pm

How would you achieve this?

Sea changers 'turfed out' coalition

http://news.smh.com.au/sea-changers-turfed-out-coalition/20080108-1ksj.html

Sea changers turfed out the coalition at the federal election because it failed to address the population explosion in coastal areas, a local government group says.

The National Sea Change Taskforce said non-metropolitan coastal electorates were decisive in Labor's victory, accounting for nearly half the seats which changed hands at the November poll.

Labor won 12 such electorates in Queensland, NSW and Tasmania amongst the 25 seats which changed hands nationally.

Taskforce chairman Joe Natoli said the former coalition government suffered a backlash from coastal voters upset by a lack of support in the past decade over growth pressures.

Half of Sydney's beaches are on the nose

http://news.smh.com.au/half-of-sydneys-beaches-are-on-the-nose/20080111-1lja.html

More than half of Sydney's beaches had unsafe levels of raw sewage in the past year, according to NSW government test results.

According to the statistics collected by Beachwatch field officers, 58 of 100 sites in Sydney's waterways recorded hazardous levels of the faecal coli forms and enterococci bacteria for at least one month last year.

Some, such as Malabar beach in Sydney's south, failed safe swimming standards for four or five months of the year, News Ltd reported.

The highest levels of the bacteria were recorded in Middle Harbour and Botany Bay.

The bacteria can cause gastroenteritis, skin, eye and ear infections and irritations.

The worst readings were in the months of June and November, which saw unusually heavy rainfall.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2008 at 10:31am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print