Send Topic Print
Cultural differences (Read 2236 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Cultural differences
Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:03pm

This is interesting .

"AN Aboriginal man is fighting driving charges, saying the police and the courts do not have jurisdiction over him.

Glen Angus Atkinson, 42, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court today in face paint and traditional clothing.
He paddled along the Yarra River in a canoe before walking the short distance to court.

Mr Atkinson was charged with driving while disqualified, driving an unregistered car and exceeding the alcohol limit after being pulled over in Belmont on October 25, last year.

Mr Atkinson said his decision to contest the case was a form of protest, despite a warning by the magistrate that he faced an uphill battle.

Outside court, he said he did not believe police had the jurisdiction to charge him.

"It is to highlight the plight of the stolen generation people who still suffer," Mr Atkinson said.

"I don't believe they have the jurisdiction to adjudicate Aboriginal people under law."

Mr Atkinson said that as a member of the Stolen Generation, he continued to suffer.

"The law maker and the law protector, being the Australian Government and the police, aid and abet together to incarcerate members of the stolen generation.

"I have always been discriminated against."

Mr Atkinson's case was adjourned until February."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22948950-953,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Cultural differences
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:08pm

Maybe the whole canoe and face paint bit would have had more meaning if he wasn't arrested for drink driving on a public road.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 2:10pm

agree FD..

What a joke.

These idiots make me sick..they make a mockery of those who are genuine and fighting for a  real/genuine  cause..

Its about time they came under the same law as eveyone else..sounds like the Magistrate wont tolerate his cr ap.

Mr Atkinson is a di ckhead who needs a job.

"It is to highlight the plight of the stolen generation people who still suffer," Mr Atkinson said.

"I don't believe they have the jurisdiction to adjudicate Aboriginal people under law."

Mr Atkinson said that as a member of the Stolen Generation, he continued to suffer.

"The law maker and the law protector, being the Australian Government and the police, aid and abet together to incarcerate members of the stolen generation.

"I have always been discriminated against."

Mr Atkinson's case was adjourned until February

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Traditional woman(Guest)

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 8:08pm

freediver wrote on Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:08pm:
Maybe the whole canoe and face paint bit would have had more meaning if he wasn't arrested for drink driving on a public road.

Exactly , this is nothing to do with STOLEN Generation , what a fool, and who does he blame for the havoc he wrecked on his children i wonder ??

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 10:28pm

Traditional woman,

Nice name. I like it.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print