Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Little Kevvy's Navy. (Read 9234 times)
deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Little Kevvy's Navy.
Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:02pm

Little Kevvy thinks being PM means he can use the Navy as protestors to harass Japanese whaling vessels.  Just what kind of totalarian megalomaniac is this powder puff?

Quote:
Whale navy plan 'could harm ties with Japan'

OPPOSITION Leader Brendan Nelson has warned that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd may be risking Australia's relationship with Japan with his proposal to use the military to monitor Japanese whalers.

Japan has so far kept silent about a plan by the Rudd Government – flagged before the federal election – to use the navy to search for evidence of illegal whaling in Australian waters.

Australia and other nations have long been angered by Japan's continued killing of hundreds of whales in Antarctic waters for so-called research purposes.

This season, Japan is planning to kill 935 minke whales, 50 fin whales and, for the first time in 40 years, 50 humpback whales.

While the Coalition opposes the whale hunt, Dr Nelson – the former defence minister – says the proposal to use the navy to gather evidence on Japan's whalers raises more questions that it answers.

And he is worried it could harm strong security and trade ties with Japan.

Mr Rudd yesterday indicated Australian assets – interpreted to mean the military – could be used to gather evidence.

He plans to make an announcement next week on what action the Government will take as the whaling season gets under way.

Dr Nelson said the Government needed to be aware of the potential consequences of its actions, including the impact on Australia's diplomatic ties with Japan.

"Japan for 60 years has been a key ally and now one of our major trading partners," he said.

"I would be very concerned about sending war assets, warships and air force planes down to look at the Japanese whaling fleet in terms of how is that going to escalate the diplomatic tensions between Australia and Japan.

"What does it mean for our relationship with Japan – surely we should be asking the international community before we send war assets down to look at the Japanese whaling operation."

The Japanese embassy in Canberra refused to comment.

Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's anti-whaling ship the Steve Irwin, said action by the navy could take some of the burden off his organisation.

The Sea Shepherd's objective was to uphold international conservation law by "harassing, blockading and doing everything we can" to stop the Japanese whalers activities, he said.

"I'm hopeful that the Australian navy will actually come down and do that for us," he said to ABC radio.

The Navy will get hosed by the Japs?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Little Kevvy's Navy.
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:38pm

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 6:52am

And on it goes.  But even green groups (who normally act with complete disregard for anyone but themselves) are concerned about Kevvy's megalomania.

Quote:
Warning shots fired over arming ship

Environmental groups have urged the Federal Government to confirm reports it plans to send the commercial ship Oceanic Viking to monitor the Japanese whaling fleet in the Southern Ocean.

But they have warned against arming the ice-class vessel, saying such a move could further inflame an already delicate diplomatic situation.

The Herald reported today that the Government was considering leasing the P&O ship, Oceanic Viking, to gather photographic and video evidence of illegal whaling that could be used in any international court action against Japanese whaling.

The vessel would be crewed by civilian P&O staff, with a customs boarding party on board. It would also carry two .50-calibre machine-guns.

The Japanese whaling fleet has been within Southern Ocean whaling grounds for the past week and the Australian Government must act fast to bring it to a halt, said Darren Kindleysides from the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

"Time is running out ... The body count is going up daily. The government  must act, and it must act swiftly and decisively."

He said sending the Ocean Viking to the Southern Ocean would provide a very strong message to Japan.

"Certainly it will fire a strong diplomatic shot across the Japanese government's bows and we would hope it would dissuade them from taking this hunt."

He added: "I think potentially having an armed vessel could spark a greater diplomatic incident than is required  ... It is a significant step but I don't think it needs to be armed."

Let's arm everyone Kevvy, give rifles to fishermen too

Just who does Kevvy think he is and why is he determined to start an incident at sea?  If Australia sends armed pursuit vessels then Japan will likely accompany its whalers with armed protection.  They have that right.  And Kevvy just forced them to do it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Japan halts humpback whale hunt: US
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 1:11pm

Japan halts humpback whale hunt: US

http://news.smh.com.au/japan-halts-humpback-whale-hunt-us/20071219-1i2s.html

Japan has apparently agreed not to kill humpback whales during its current Antarctic hunt, the US ambassador to Tokyo said on Wednesday, a move that could help ease criticism of its controversial whaling program.

Japan's whaling fleet set sail last month with plans to catch more than 1,000 whales, including 50 humpbacks, which are popular among whale-watchers for their distinctive silhouettes and acrobatic leaps, before returning to port early next year.

"I think we had an agreement ... between the United States and Japan that humpback whales would not be harvested, I think, until maybe the International Whaling Conference in June," US ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer told a small group of reporters.

Because of migration patterns, the delay would mean it would be "a while before they are at risk again," Schieffer added.

Australia announced on Wednesday that it would send a fisheries patrol ship to shadow Japan's whaling fleet near Antarctica and gather evidence for a possible international court challenge to halt the yearly hunt.

Separately, Greenpeace sent a ship on Wednesday to try to stop the Japanese fleet hunting whales.

Japan relationship still good: Garrett

http://news.smh.com.au/japan-relationship-still-good-garrett/20071220-1i4z.html

Australia's relationship with Japan is strong enough to withstand the diplomatic stand-off over whaling, Environment Minister Peter Garrett says.

Australia warns deaths possible if Japan whalers, protesters clash

http://news.smh.com.au/australia-warns-deaths-possible-if-japan-whalers-protesters-clash/20071219-1i2x.html

Australia on Wednesday urged Japanese whalers and environmental activists heading for a showdown in the Southern Ocean to show restraint, warning deaths could occur if anything went wrong.

Japan urged to confirm no humpback kill

http://news.smh.com.au/japan-urged-to-confirm-no-humpback-kill/20071219-1hz4.html

Greenpeace has called on the Japanese government to confirm that it has agreed not to kill humpback whales during its annual southern whale hunt.

But the environmental group says the rest of the planned hunt is illegal and should be stopped.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:19pm

Japan has apparently agreed not to kill humpback whales during its current Antarctic hunt, the US ambassador to Tokyo said on Wednesday, a move that could help ease criticism of its controversial whaling program.

But this doesnt mean they wont..just an agreement at this stage.

December 19, 2007

THE Federal Government is considering a range of options to take Japan before international tribunals as the Japanese whaling fleet prepares to escalate harpooning in the Southern Ocean.

One option is understood to be taking Japan before the International Court of Justice based on an argument that its intended slaughter of more than a thousand whales this summer contravenes the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling.

Resort to the international court could be either with Japan voluntarily agreeing to accept its jurisdiction or by seeking a "ruling" if Japan was not willing to co-operate. Other options include a complaint under provisions of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna in relation to the hunt being extended to include humpback whales."

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:25pm by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:31pm

Humpback kill 'halted'
December 19, 2007

Japan has apparently agreed not to kill humpback whales during its current Antarctic hunt, the US ambassador to Tokyo said today, a move that could help ease criticism of its controversial whaling program.

Japan's whaling fleet set sail last month with plans to catch more than 1,000 whales, including 50 humpbacks, which are popular among whale-watchers for their distinctive silhouettes and acrobatic leaps, before returning to port early next year.

Humpbacks were hunted to near extinction until the International Whaling Commission ordered their protection in 1966 and the planned hunt had sparked a loud outcry from activists.

"I think we had an agreement ... between the United States and Japan that humpback whales would not be harvested, I think, until maybe the International Whaling Conference in June," US ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer told a small group of reporters.

Because of migration patterns, the delay would mean it would be "a while before they are at risk again," Schieffer added.

Australia today announced that it would send a fisheries patrol ship to shadow Japan's whaling fleet near Antarctica and gather evidence for a possible international court challenge to halt the yearly hunt.

Separately, Greenpeace sent a ship today to try to stop the Japanese fleet hunting whales.

Japan has long resisted pressure to stop what it calls scientific whaling, insisting that whaling is a cherished cultural tradition.

"Japan's whaling is being conducted in line with international treaties and for the purpose of scientific research. We would like to win the understanding of others," a Japanese foreign ministry spokesman said in Tokyo."
---
'apparently' does not constitute an agreement.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 7:51pm

The news that Japan is calling off the destruction of Humpbacks is news to Japan.

Quote:
Japan denies dropping humpback whale hunt: foreign ministry

TOKYO (AFP) — Japan said Thursday it has made no agreement to stop hunting humpback whales, denying comments from the US ambassador here that suggested a temporary deal had been struck.

"There is no (new) written, diplomatic agreement between Japan and the United States over the current specific whaling mission... and whaling in general," said Tomohiko Taniguchi, spokesman for the Japanese foreign ministry.

He was responding to comments by US ambassador Thomas Schieffer, who reportedly told journalists Wednesday that Japan and the United States agreed on no harvesting of humpback whales for the time being.

Taniguchi said the ambassador might have meant to refer to various discussions between Japan and the United States and suggested whaling had been one of many topics covered.

He added, however, that he was not aware of the context in which Schieffer made the remarks.

"I cannot disclose exactly what diplomatic discussions we are having. But there is no concrete, diplomatic agreement on whaling between Japan and the United States," Taniguchi said.

Why doesn't Kevvy go out in a row boat with a pop gun?

Kevvy is fast making us a laughing stock.  From eating his own ear wax to threatening Japan with armed ships!  He's a craptacular smackitty walloping wit.

I wonder if Japan is interested in harvesting bulltesticles.  Kevvy's a one man production line.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Japan to Australia: Let's talk whaling
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 3:49pm

http://news.smh.com.au/japan-to-australia-lets-talk-whaling/20071221-1ih1.html

Japan's foreign minister said on Friday he wanted to discuss whaling with his Australian counterpart after Canberra announced plans to shadow Tokyo's whaling fleet near Antarctica.

Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura defended Tokyo's whaling program, saying it is in line with international treaties.

He said he sees no problem with it.

"I would like to speak with (Australia's) foreign minister (Stephen Smith) in some form soon," Komura told reporters.

"We will try to seek each other's understanding."

The Australian Embassy said it would deliver a document on whaling along with other embassies to Japan's foreign ministry on Friday, but declined to disclose the contents of the document or say how many other countries were involved.

Whale meat ends up in Japanese supermarkets and restaurants, although the public appetite for what is now a delicacy is waning.

Some experts say Japan fears that limits on whaling will lead to limits on all Japanese fishing, while others argue the whaling campaign is a form of nationalist diplomacy.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:33pm

Some experts say Japan fears that limits on whaling will lead to limits on all fishing

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:40pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:33pm:
Some experts say Japan fears that limits on whaling will lead to limits on all fishing

O RLY?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Japan to Australia: Let's talk whaling
Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:17pm

freediver wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 3:49pm:
http://news.smh.com.au/japan-to-australia-lets-talk-whaling/20071221-1ih1.html

Japan's foreign minister said on Friday he wanted to discuss whaling with his Australian counterpart after Canberra announced plans to shadow Tokyo's whaling fleet near Antarctica.

Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura defended Tokyo's whaling program, saying it is in line with international treaties.

He said he sees no problem with it.

"I would like to speak with (Australia's) foreign minister (Stephen Smith) in some form soon," Komura told reporters.

"We will try to seek each other's understanding."

The Australian Embassy said it would deliver a document on whaling along with other embassies to Japan's foreign ministry on Friday, but declined to disclose the contents of the document or say how many other countries were involved.

Whale meat ends up in Japanese supermarkets and restaurants, although the public appetite for what is now a delicacy is waning.

Some experts say Japan fears that limits on whaling will lead to limits on all Japanese fishing, while others argue the whaling campaign is a form of nationalist diplomacy.

Can you believe it?  Little Kevvy starts acting like the world policeman and he hasn't even bothered to pick up the phone and talk to the Japs?

Oh no, it's worse than I thought.  I wonder if I should start to lobby for a double dissolution on the basis that the PM is still in nappies.  He needs to understand the meaning of the words 'international diplomacy'.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:42pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:38pm

freediver wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:40pm:
IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:33pm:

O RLY?

YA RLY!

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:47pm

I wonder where you got that from LOL.

Japan recently agreed to have it's tuna quota slashed after being buseted for overharvesting. The IWC is the least of their worries. If they think the hippies will succeed in stopping the tuna harvest they need a bit of cross cultural consultancy.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1180485212

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 6:02pm

My point is, and it is a long bow to draw but what is the next step when radicals ban sustainable whaling without a logical appropriate argument, just an emotional one?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Japan to spare humpback whales
Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 6:10pm

The next step is to start a serious public debate about the conflict between sustainability and environmentalism on the one hand and animal welfare on the other. Many members of the public do not make the distinction, but they will when it starts to hit home and the problem will soon disappear. I have even seen hardcore anti-green recreational fishermen speak up in support of bans on the harvest of whales, dolphins etc. It's a mistake almost anyone can make, but not forever. Truth is, the extremists can barely hold on to a whaling ban when the sustainability side of it is not entirely clear. The pendulum is already starting to swing back.

Japan to spare humpback whales

http://news.smh.com.au/japan-to-spare-humpback-whales/20071221-1ih1.html

Australia welcomed on Friday Japan's move to suspend the killing of humpback whales, but will push ahead with its diplomatic protest to end the slaughter of the giant mammals in protected waters.

Chief Japanese government spokesman Nobutaka Machimura said humpbacks would not be part of the annual hunt in the waters around Antarctica.

It would have been the first time since the 1960s that Tokyo would have hunted the humpback species.

Under pressure, Japan drops humpback hunt

http://news.smh.com.au/under-pressure-japan-drops-humpback-hunt/20071221-1iid.html

Japan has dropped its plan to kill humpback whales in Antarctic waters after strong protests led by Australia, Japanese public broadcaster NHK said Friday.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2007 at 6:51pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print