Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Is this a consensus statement? (Read 20527 times)
RecFisher

OzPolitic

Re: Is this a consensus statement?
Reply #75 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 8:58pm

freediver wrote on Dec 22nd, 2007 at 6:37am:
Just because the people who agree with it, agree with it?

No, because I agree with it.  But also has the same essential features of your favourite consensus statement on marine protected areas, namely, it's a statement of opinion signed by a reasonable number of people who all appear to agree with the statement.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:25pm

There are some big differences. The scientists who signed it claim it was a consensus statement and claim that it represents the views of the broader community and is based on the research and conclusions of their peers. The statement you provided is very different. It clearly implies that it is a minority view. If you asked any of the signatories, they would also tell you it is not a consensus statement. The 'essential features' you refer to omit the only truly essential feature - the consensus.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #77 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 11:10pm

I think you have too narrow a definition of a "consensus statement".  I didn't ask if it was a "scientific consensus statement".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 12:27pm

I'm not saying there has to be anything scientific about it. You could come up with a consensus among left handed baptist ministers and I would concede it is a consensus statement. The difference is that the group has to be defined by something else other than the fact that they agree with each other. It's the definition of consensus that is tripping you up.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 2:35pm

What's your definition of "consensus" then?

According to dictionary.com, "consensus" = "An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole".  Can we agree to that?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #80 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 2:37pm

As I pointed out earlier, if you accept as a consensus any statement agreed upon by those who agree with it, you destroy any meaning of the term. By that definition, all statements that more than one person agrees with are consensus statements. Obviously, you need an unrelated way to define the group to get any meaning. The 'group as a whole' in your definition cannot be defined by the subset of a group that agrees with the statement.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 5:43pm

So how do you define the group then?  How many peopole have to sign it?  Out of how big a group?  Is there a threshold percentage before it's good enough to be a "consensus"?

The warmaholics fall back on the "thousands of scientists agree" mantra but that's actually a lie! For the first time the IPCC released the reviewers reports of the IPCC Report and guess what? The crucial Chapter 9 was supported by a lowly 32 scientists! (30 other reviewing scientists views were disregarded). So there is it for all the world to read: the sum total of scientists supporting the Anthropogenic Theory of Global Warming is 32! Monty Python would be proud  Cheesy

Now is that a consensus of 32?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #82 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 7:40pm

So how do you define the group then?  How many peopole have to sign it?  Out of how big a group?

The group definition can be totally arbitrary - like left handed baptist ministers. Just so long as it is not defined by those who agree with the statement. I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble understanding what the term consensus really means.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:21pm

I know what I understand it to mean.  I'm trying to understand what you believe it means, but you keep going around in circles dodging the issue, not really answering the questions.  I'm not sure why.  
I give up

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008 at 11:42pm by RecFisher »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:30pm

So you still think it's a consensus statement? Do you think that any statement representing the views of those who agree with it is a consensus statement?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #85 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:31pm

deepthought wrote on Jan 2nd, 2008 at 7:38pm:
deepthought wrote on Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:49pm:
deepthought wrote on Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:20am:
deepthought wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:53am:
freediver wrote on Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:28am:
There were lots of causes operating over different time scales, including Milankovic cycles, variations in the sun's output, natural integrators and positive feedback loops within the earth etc. They were still the drivers up until very recently, when their effects were swamped by anthropogenic influences. The difference now is that CO2 concentrations are unprecedented, as is the rate of warming.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170222422/72#72

So the cause of global warming before humans got involved were lots of things - but they no longer cause global warming?  Only humans do now?  Why?  What happened to the other stuff which used to cause it?

Bump

Bump Bump

Bumpity Bump Bump, Bump Bump.

Bump Bump Bumpity craptacular nutsmackingly Bump.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #86 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:18am

deepthought wrote on Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:31pm:
There were lots of causes operating over different time scales, including Milankovic cycles, variations in the sun's output, natural integrators and positive feedback loops within the earth etc. They were still the drivers up until very recently, when their effects were swamped by anthropogenic influences. The difference now is that CO2 concentrations are unprecedented, as is the rate of warming.

So the cause of global warming before humans got involved were lots of things - but they no longer cause global warming?  Only humans do now?  Why?  What happened to the other stuff which used to cause it?

Bump

Bump Bump

Bumpity Bumtpity Bpumtitty Pumbitty Pump Bum.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #87 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 8:27am

deepthought wrote on Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:18am:

Bump

Bump Bump

Maybe YOU could answer FDs question DT?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #88 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 10:14am

Quote:
Maybe YOU could answer FDs question DT?

The moment he asks one I will be sure to oceans.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #89 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 5:13pm

deepthought wrote on Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:18am:

Bump

Bump Bump

Bump Mump Thumpity smacktaculating crapples Bummpy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print