Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Is this a consensus statement? (Read 20509 times)
IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Is this a consensus statement?
Reply #60 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 6:19pm

This is a far too much of a stretch to be spending billion of dollars on for a solution that maybe non-existent

Far better to spend those trillions of dollars on proper solutions if need be.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 6:22pm

You don't have to spend billions. For starters, you just need to change your taxation base.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 9:12pm

For starters, you just need to change your taxation base.

An expense in itself and for what gain?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 9:36pm

Reduced GHG emissions.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:00pm

Which will achieve what when you consider global output?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 11:46am

a reduction in the rate of global warming

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #66 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 12:19pm

How much reduction?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 12:32pm

It depends on how much you reduce GHG emissions. The IPCC reports go through a number of potential scenarios.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 9:48pm

Say 100% reduction...what will that achieve for global warming?

Does the IPCC talk about a tax shift and the outcomes that are involved and the differences or are you just talking out your ars*e?

We all know the benefits of a trading system are negligible within the next 100+ years at a minimum...

[Kevin Rudd questionnaire to himself] does your magical tax-shift improve this to any extent? Not really[/Kevin Rudd questionnaire]

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:09am

Say 100% reduction...what will that achieve for global warming?

I think it will keep the temperature increase under 2 degrees - probably a lot less. The temperature would return to 'normal' in about 100 years. But I can't remember all the details. You really should check out the IPCC reports.

Does the IPCC talk about a tax shift and the outcomes that are involved and the differences or are you just talking out your ars*e?

The IPCC reports are based on the science - how much the globe warms as a function of how much GHG we emit. The tax shift is an economic thing. That is how to minimise the economic impact of a given reduction in GHG emissions. I am not making it up. The majority of economists support the idea and it is reasonably easy to show how it is better.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168051896/45#46

We all know the benefits of a trading system are negligible within the next 100+ years at a minimum...

How much benefit they are depends entirely on what the emissions reduction 'schedule' is set at. While they have a facade of a market based system, they still require a political process every time you want to reduce emissions further. A tax shift has a number of benefits over a trading scheme:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html#taxes-vs-trading

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #70 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:53am

freediver wrote on Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:28am:
There were lots of causes operating over different time scales, including Milankovic cycles, variations in the sun's output, natural integrators and positive feedback loops within the earth etc. They were still the drivers up until very recently, when their effects were swamped by anthropogenic influences. The difference now is that CO2 concentrations are unprecedented, as is the rate of warming.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170222422/72#72

So the cause of global warming before humans got involved were lots of things - but they no longer cause global warming?  Only humans do now?  Why?  What happened to the other stuff which used to cause it?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #71 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:20am

deepthought wrote on Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:53am:
There were lots of causes operating over different time scales, including Milankovic cycles, variations in the sun's output, natural integrators and positive feedback loops within the earth etc. They were still the drivers up until very recently, when their effects were swamped by anthropogenic influences. The difference now is that CO2 concentrations are unprecedented, as is the rate of warming.

So the cause of global warming before humans got involved were lots of things - but they no longer cause global warming?  Only humans do now?  Why?  What happened to the other stuff which used to cause it?

Bump

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #72 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:49pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:20am:

So the cause of global warming before humans got involved were lots of things - but they no longer cause global warming?  Only humans do now?  Why?  What happened to the other stuff which used to cause it?

Bump

Bump Bump

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #73 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 7:38pm

deepthought wrote on Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:49pm:
deepthought wrote on Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:20am:

Bump

Bump Bump

Bumpity Bump Bump, Bump Bump.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 8:52pm

Google must be down...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print