Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Athiests do not do this - ever (Read 9401 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Athiests do not do this - ever
Dec 13th, 2007 at 2:48pm

Athiests would not do this if their daughter wanted to read a bible, or christians would not if their son did not want to wear a cross, or buddhists if their daughter wanted to be a carnivore.

It's only muslims.

"Muslim girl who clashed with strict family killed
December 13, 2007 - 10:07AM

She would tell us how her dad would always yell at her and how he wanted her to be someone else
Only 16 ... Aqsa Parvez pictured on a Facebook tribute page.

Advertisement
The devout Muslim father of a 16-year-old girl, whose friends say was killed for not wearing a hijab, has been charged with second-degree murder and denied bail.

Aqsa Parvez died on Monday night in hospital after being attacked in her home in a suburb of Toronto.

Police have not commented on any motive in the case.

But the girl's friends said Parvez frequently clashed with her estranged family over her reluctance to wear a traditional Islamic headscarf, or hijab.

"She would tell us how her dad would always yell at her and how he wanted her to be someone else," her friend Natalie Rance, 14, told the daily Toronto Star.

"Her dad wanted her to be a person who followed the religion. But she wanted to follow her own rules, wear her own clothes. But her dad wouldn't let her do that."

Police said in a statement they received an emergency call at 7.55 am local time Monday from "a man who indicated that he had just killed his daughter".

In fact, the girl clung to life for hours after she was rushed to hospital, said officials. An autopsy determined that the cause of death was "neck compression".

Her father, cab driver Muhammad Parvez, 57, was arrested at the scene.

The victim's 26 year-old brother Waqas was also charged with obstructing police in the investigation."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/12/13/1197135600351.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Athiests do not do this - ever
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Plenty of Christians have done that sort of thing. It's like burning witches at the stake. Where's your sense of historical perspective? Given any sort of power, I don't see why athiests would refrain either. From what I've seen of them, they can be just as dogmatic and unreasonable. I'm pretty sure buddhists kill people over beliefs as well.

Is that the Toronto on Lake Macquarie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:36pm

freediver wrote on Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:03pm:
Plenty of Christians have done that sort of thing. It's like burning witches at the stake. Where's your sense of historical perspective? Given any sort of power, I don't see why athiests would refrain either. From what I've seen of them, they can be just as dogmatic and unreasonable. I'm pretty sure buddhists kill people over beliefs as well.

Is that the Toronto on Lake Macquarie?

Care to post that article about Christians?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:28pm

Quote:

its common knowledge as you well know.

Im sure if you had a mind you could find your own article..but thats a big if.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:35pm

Quote:
Quote:

its common knowledge as you well know.

It's certainly not common knowledge to me.  Maybe I live a sheltered life.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to cut out the insults and oblige me by finding one of these articles and posting it.  If it is common knowledge it shouldn't take you very long at all to be helpful.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:40pm

Time to bring out your delete key for the whiny one FD ...why someone hasn't killed her yet I'll never know  Roll Eyes

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:45pm

I did some research on the witch burning. It was interesting.

It was a fad that passed. The people that sentenced witches were the legal courts, not religious areas.
Often it was one woman accusing another woman due to jealousy about a man.
Those accused were men or women.
It was mainly in europe, some in england, none in ireland - from memory.
The churches were instrumental in stopping it.
It was not a christian thing.

Buddhists do not kill anyone over their beliefs, as far as I am aware.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:03pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:45pm:
I did some research on the witch burning. It was interesting.

It was a fad that passed. The people that sentenced witches were the legal courts, not religious areas.

Don't tell me freediver was actually referring to burning witches at the stake when he said "Plenty of Christians have done that sort of thing"?  That was at least a couple of hundred years ago!!!!  We have become a bit more civilised since then.  Well Christians have anyway.

freediver, what century are you living in?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:26pm

DT-

My insult ?wasnt an insult..Im not responsible for how you interpret my words. What do  you call the following comments of yours then?

Quote...from DT

Quote:
You will recall, through your haze of spite, ...

It was quite well known and as I had heard of it, I assumed others had too that witches were burned at the stake. Doesnt matter from which century it came its still happened and quite a few pple know about it.

The term is also used as part of everyday language by many.."to be burned at the stake..."

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:43pm

Quote:
DT-

My insult ?wasnt an insult..Im not responsible for how you interpret my words. What do  you call the following comments of yours then?

Quote...from DT

Quote:
You will recall, through your haze of spite, ...

It was quite well known and as I had heard of it, I assumed others had too that witches were burned at the stake. Doesnt matter from which century it came its still happened and quite a few pple know about it.

The term is also used as part of everyday language by many.."to be burned at the stake..."

It's probably a waste of keyboard characters getting involved in a debate about what constitutes insult - but most would accept that how one acts (as in spiteful) is not necessarily a reflection of the person, just their actions.  But to say one has no mind is most definitely a comment on the person themselves.

However as you are unwilling to agree that your comment is an insulting one I doubt you understand the difference.

But back to the topic.  Of course it matters what century it is.  There was a time and place that people ate each other - are you suggesting that it is still alright for cannibalism because it was once practiced at some time in history?

Of course civilisation is a factor.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:07pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:13pm

back to the topic.

Point is, all other beliefs and nonbeliefs don't do anything like this.
Fullstop.

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:52am

Their belief system allows this, anthing else?

Well I can't speak for bhudism/hinduism, but Christianity in today's world would approve practises like this one. Back in the past mayby yeh(in reguards to burning herritics etc.), but I guess it just shows you how backward some belief systems can be

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:31am

Welcome to the site Labor man. We need someone to balance out all the Liberal party cheerleaders we've got here.

Oceans that is inappropriate.

Time to bring out your delete key for the whiny one FD ...why someone hasn't killed her yet I'll never know 

So is that IQ.

The people that sentenced witches were the legal courts

There was no distinction at the time. The legal courts based their judgement on religious beliefs. Just like the middle east now.

It was mainly in europe, some in england

Ever heard of Salem?

LOL, they started it. They were the only ones at the time with the authority to end it. The 'fad' lasted centuries.

They have done so in India in the last decade.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:34pm

Hi DT-

You called [implied I was] me 'spiteful' and you say I said 'you had no mind'..

Its obvious we are not going to agree on the barebones of this so lets not.

The upshot is mate..its not cool to bicker in a forum and disturb a topic.

Have a great day and take care mate.

Oceans

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:56am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:45pm:

Perhaps you should read the writings of Martin Luther. In particular his 1543 discourse The Jews and Their Lies. Most of it is too offensive to repeat, but here is one excerpt:

Quote:
However, we must avoid confirming them in their wanton lying, slandering, cursing, and defaming. Nor dare we make ourselves partners in their devilish ranting and raving by shielding and protecting them, by giving them food, drink, and shelter, or by other neighborly

Luther's writings influenced Hitler to a great extent. As far as Luther was concerned, the only good Jew was a dead Jew. Luther was no "passing fad", and his influence extended to four hundred years after his death. Perhaps you've heard of the IRA, or the Rev. Ian Paisley? Fine examples of Christianity, they are. Paisley has been accurately described as a "professional bigot", and echoed some "Lutheran sentiment" himself. He denounced John Paul II as "the anti-Christ". Don't worry, there are enough bigots claiming Christianity as their protective shield.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print