Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Anorexia or obesity? (Read 42101 times)
Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Anorexia or obesity?
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 6:40am

The only thing that makes us fat is consuming more kilojoules than we burn up.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 7:43am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 6:40am:

spot on..

we do not move enough.....how many fat people do you see walking or jogging....almost none..why.. because they cant.....

until I was about 30 I walked everywhere..or run I was always late for the buses....no one thought about what energy we burnt just doing that each and every day it was the norm for almost everyone.....

it wasnt until we became a two car family it kind of all went pear shaped... pun intended...

on top of that we ate more food instead of less.....we could afford two cars we could afford to put more food on our plates....even kids were told eat up...even if it was clear they had had enough..

pansi have you noticed.. [me included] how when food serves get smaller.[maccas] we whinge like hell.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

we are our own worst enemy.... I am btw working on finding the lose 7 kilos overnight secret....

I will write a book...of course.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes may sign a copy for you if you are interested.....

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:48am

... wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 4:04pm:
they like to make out that fat is the enemy, and to some extent, it is.  It is the most energy-rich per gram, with 1g of fat containing more than double the calories of 1g of carbohydrate.  

They've had a few interesting documentaries on SBS this year about this subject.

One theory goes that the biggest contributor to obesity in modern society is the combination of sugar and fat together. This combination does not occur in nature, so our bodies arn't able to cope with it and, like a drug, we eat more than is healthy for us.
Examples of foods that combine fats and sugar are Ice cream, chocolate, cheese cake, doughnuts and biscuits. All foods that we over indulge in (my mouth is watering just thinking about them).

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:51am

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:48am:
One theory goes that the biggest contributor to obesity in modern society is the combination of sugar and fat together.

While both are not good for you, sugar is by far the worse offender of this deadly duo.  Fat at least has SOME nutritional content apart from just being empty kilojoules, whereas sugar is almost entirely pure energy in its mots common form (sucrose)

Additionally, fat needs to be broken down by your digestive system, which uses kjs in the process, while sugar takes almost none (and glucose takes zero)

Pete Waldo wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:24am

DifferentFrequency wrote on Dec 26th, 2014 at 3:08pm:
Im led to believe that people get fat from antidepressants because he body is surrounding the organs with fat to protect the organs from the toxins.

Food today is poison, unless you eat game meat only (even the vegetables have been GM so we don't even have the breeds from 70 years ago when his started.  maybe we want to eat more to make that layer of fat.

Absolute pseudo scientific nonsense.
Our life expectancies are longer and we are taller than precious generations due to better nutrition. There is absolutely no evidence that GM food is in any way harmful and due to modern food production practices we are far less likely to catch diseases and parasites from our food like we were in the past.

Exactly right. I know this from personal experience as I've lost 15 kg the past 6 months due to counting my kilojoules.

Exercise only really helps losing weight when it is combined with a controlled diet. An hours work out will burn around 1000kj which is what is in a single Mars bar.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:29am

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:24am:
Im led to believe that people get fat from antidepressants because he body is surrounding the organs with fat to protect the organs from the toxins.

Food today is poison, unless you eat game meat only (even the vegetables have been GM so we don't even have the breeds from 70 years ago when his started.  maybe we want to eat more to make that layer of fat.

Our life expectancies are longer and we are taller than precious generations due to better nutrition. There is absolutely no evidence that GM food is in any way harmful and due to modern food production practices we are far less likely to catch diseases and parasites from our food like we were in the past.

Exactly right. I know this from personal experience as I've lost 15 kg the past 6 months due to counting my kilojoules.

Exercise only really helps losing weight when it is combined with a controlled diet. An hours work out will burn around 1000kj which is what is in a single Mars bar.

True. If you have 2000 more kj than your body requires, you will gain weight, if you have 2000 less, you will lose weight. It all depends on the energy (kj) you use/ burn up.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:37am

cods wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 7:43am:

spot on..

we do not move enough.....how many fat people do you see walking or jogging....almost none..why.. because they cant.....

until I was about 30 I walked everywhere..or run I was always late for the buses....no one thought about what energy we burnt just doing that each and every day it was the norm for almost everyone.....

it wasnt until we became a two car family it kind of all went pear shaped... pun intended...

on top of that we ate more food instead of less.....we could afford two cars we could afford to put more food on our plates....even kids were told eat up...even if it was clear they had had enough..

pansi have you noticed.. [me included] how when food serves get smaller.[maccas] we whinge like hell.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

we are our own worst enemy.... I am btw working on finding the lose 7 kilos overnight secret....

I will write a book...of course.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes may sign a copy for you if you are interested.....

I do see fat people down the gym, they are inspirational, I just wish they all took another fat person along with them.

A worthwhile gov initiative would be to give obese people free gym membership for three months, if they lose weight in that time they get another three months. Only those on health care cards, the richies can take themselves or..................

It could save a heck of a lot in health care costs in the future. Prevention is better than cure.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:42pm

wrong. You can consume as much protein as you like but the extra calories will not be stored as fat, they will be excreted through your kidneys.
Next myth!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:44pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:29am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:24am:

True. If you have 2000 more kj than your body requires, you will gain weight, if you have 2000 less, you will lose weight. It all depends on the energy (kj) you use/ burn up.
100 percent wrong and this myth the main reason why so many struggle and  fail to lose weight and keep it off. we only have to look at hunter gather societies to see the absurdity of the claim.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:47pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:48am:
... wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 4:04pm:
they like to make out that fat is the enemy, and to some extent, it is.  It is the most energy-rich per gram, with 1g of fat containing more than double the calories of 1g of carbohydrate.  

They've had a few interesting documentaries on SBS this year about this subject.

One theory goes that the biggest contributor to obesity in modern society is the combination of sugar and fat together. This combination does not occur in nature, so our bodies arn't able to cope with it and, like a drug, we eat more than is healthy for us.
Examples of foods that combine fats and sugar are Ice cream, chocolate, cheese cake, doughnuts and biscuits. All foods that we over indulge in (my mouth is watering just thinking about them).
this is also wrong, fat does not make you fat, the offender in all those foods you mentioned is carbohyrdates. Think about it, for half a million years our ancestors lived mostly on animal fats and protein, simple  carbohydrates do not occurr naturally in the wild to any great degree , it was extremely rare for our ancestors to obtain any.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:49pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 10:37am:

spot on..

I do see fat people down the gym, they are inspirational, I just wish they all took another fat person along with them.

A worthwhile gov initiative would be to give obese people free gym membership for three months, if they lose weight in that time they get another three months. Only those on health care cards, the richies can take themselves or..................

It could save a heck of a lot in health care costs in the future. Prevention is better than cure.
overweight people never, ever sustain weight loss through excercise. Its a common myth but a ridiculous one if you know basic math. The difference in calories burned by a 100 kilo person walking up a flight of stairs than if they didnt is exactly 3.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #26 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:53pm

Fats are not the bodies preferred energy source if carbohydrates are available, thus, if the bodies energy needs are already being met by those carbs (which they likely weren't in the time you refer to) the energy ingested in the form of fats will be excreted and/or converted back to fat and stored.  So in this case, fat can make you fat.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 3:05pm

spot on..

huh?  Huh

you contradicted yourself in one easy line...  Grin Grin

and why can fatties walk? - its not because they can't, its because they don't want to...

eat all fresh vegetables and fruits..

see my thread in the FOOD section...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1404889749/all

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 3:06pm

if this was so Honky then we would not see marathon swimmers storing immense amounts of fat on their bodies which is burned as fuel during thier marathon.  I have long suspected the villain in modern diets is carbohydrates, not fat as we are lead to believe by some. I will come back to this and make another more extensive post later.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 3:54pm

ian wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 2:42pm:

wrong. You can consume as much protein as you like but the extra calories will not be stored as fat, they will be excreted through your kidneys.
Next myth!

Rubbish....you go on a low kj eating plan and you will lose weight, no doubt about it, even without exercise, with exercise you will lose weight more quickly.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print