Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Anorexia or obesity? (Read 42099 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Anorexia or obesity?
Reply #135 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 9:11am

AiA wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:05am:
Even with increased life expectancy factored in, cancer rates are significantly higher than 100 years ago.

You're making it up on the run now.

AiA wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:05am:
Cancer among the young is way up as well.  Look at all the young women today who are diagnosed with breast cancer yet it didn't touch their great-great grandmothers. 

Something in the dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavouring chemicals in our Supermarket foods is lowering or damaging the immune system.

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:56am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #136 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:12pm

Ah! Look what I've just come across ...

"Most cases of cancer are the result of ‘bad luck’ rather than unhealthy lifestyles, diet or even inherited genes, claim scientists.

For two out of three cancer victims, the cumulative effect of random mistakes in genes is to blame for the disease rather than poor choices about how they lived their lives or ‘chose’ their parents.

Previously experts have estimated that 30-40 per cent of cancer cases would be avoided given a better lifestyle, but there has been no similar calculation about whether the remainder can be prevented".

link

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #137 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:32pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 9:11am:
[quote author=AiA_in_Atlanta link=1196754932/134#134 date=1420142710]Something in the dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavouring chemicals in our Supermarket foods is lowering or damaging the immune system.

That, in my mind, hits the nail squarely on the head.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #138 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:08pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:32pm:
[quote author=AiA_in_Atlanta link=1196754932/134#134 date=1420142710]Something in the dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavouring chemicals in our Supermarket foods is lowering or damaging the immune system.

But we don't really know, do we?

If that is true, then the class action against the food processors will make the litigations against James Hardy for the asbestos damage a Teddy Bears picnic by comparison.

Surely they must have tested those additional ingredients on lab rats?

And kept the results a secret??

Might be a job for CHOICE to check up on?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #139 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:14pm

Prior to probably the 1930s, various types of cancer would probably have gone undiagnosed as a cause of death.
I'm thinking of various blood cancers, brain tumours and others not immediately recognisable without post mortem.
Therefore, can we rely much on long term statistics relating to deaths from cancer?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #140 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:14pm:
Prior to probably the 1930s, various types of cancer would probably have gone undiagnosed as a cause of death.
I'm thinking of various blood cancers, brain tumours and others not immediately recognisable without post mortem.
Therefore, can we rely much on long term statistics relating to deaths from cancer?

No we CAN'T! (Shades of Obama)

(And that puts AiA back in his box until another day).  Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #141 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:08pm:
Black Orchid wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:32pm:

But we don't really know, do we?

If that is true, then the class action against the food processors will make the litigations against James Hardy for the asbestos damage a Teddy Bears picnic by comparison.

Surely they must have tested those additional ingredients on lab rats?

And kept the results a secret??

Might be a job for CHOICE to check up on?

We won't get stats.

My grandparents and great-grandparents ate what they liked.  Good wholesome food.  Some very fatty foods too.  I remember my mother telling me that her father used to love dripping on toast.  Gross, but they weren't obese, didn't have heart problems and had very long lives.

Society dictates how manufacturers perform.  For instance, society will blame NOT their lack of culinary discipline on their obesity but they will blame the copious amounts of Coke they drink per day and the sugar content therein.  So what happens?

We get swamped with sugar free products that are probably many,many times more chemically harmful than the sugar itself.

They build apartment complexes, schools and houses on the sites of old gasworks then try to kill the litigious proceedings by denying that cancer clusters exist.  Take a walk around Olympic Park and in certain sections that are usually cordoned off you will see toxic sludge bubbling up through the ground.

Will they ever admit they got it wrong?  I highly doubt it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #142 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:17pm

How many old batteries and smoke alarms go into landfill upon which residential homes are built, and schools?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #143 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:01pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm:
My grandparents and great-grandparents ate what they liked.  Good wholesome food.  Some very fatty foods too.  I remember my mother telling me that her father used to love dripping on toast.  Gross, but they weren't obese, didn't have heart problems and had very long lives.

Have you tried it? I still eat it on bread or fry bread in it, especially lamb roast dripping but bacon dripping is good too.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #144 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 7:18pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:01pm:
Black Orchid wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:36pm:

Have you tried it? I still eat it on bread or fry bread in it, especially lamb roast dripping but bacon dripping is good too.

No I haven't.  I don't doubt it is tasty but the consistency and texture just doesn't do it for me.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #145 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am

Something in the dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavouring chemicals in our Supermarket foods is lowering or damaging the immune system.

Gees Herbert you are sounding like a tree hugging hippy.

"artificial" and "chemicals" are emotive words that the paranoid like to use to criticize modern food practices. Modern food is much safer than it used to be. Typhoid, salmonella and many of the "natural" parasites that used to be present in our food is no longer there thanks to modern processing.

Those children who died drinking raw milk are a classic example of this.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #146 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:59am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am:

Gees Herbert you are sounding like a tree hugging hippy.

"artificial" and "chemicals" are emotive words that the paranoid like to use to criticize modern food practices. Modern food is much safer than it used to be. Typhoid, salmonella and many of the "natural" parasites that used to be present in our food is no longer there thanks to modern processing.

Those children who died drinking raw milk are a classic example of this.

Riiiiiight .... and that's what the 'experts' said about asbestos until somebody broke rank and blew the whistle ... 30 years later.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #147 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 2:20am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:12pm:

"Most cases of cancer are the result of ‘bad luck’ rather than unhealthy lifestyles, diet or even inherited genes, claim scientists.

For two out of three cancer victims, the cumulative effect of random mistakes in genes is to blame for the disease rather than poor choices about how they lived their lives or ‘chose’ their parents.

Previously experts have estimated that 30-40 per cent of cancer cases would be avoided given a better lifestyle, but there has been no similar calculation about whether the remainder can be prevented".

link

If you had really taken the time to understand this theory (Take the number of cells in an organ, identify what percentage of them are long-lived stem cells, and determine how many times the stem cells divide. With every division, there’s a risk of a cancer-causing mutation in a daughter cell) you would have seen 1) it is contrary to what you have posted previously about genetics being responsible for most illness or lack of illness and 2) Cancer may be bad luck, but smokers, diabetics, the obese, those who don't sleep enough, etc. are unquestionably running out of luck more rapidly.

This theory suggests there is a relationship between risk of cancer and number of cell divisions. But it says nothing about the proportion of cancers due to cell division.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2015 at 2:38am by AiA »  

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #148 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 10:31am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:59am:
and that's what the 'experts' said about asbestos until somebody broke rank and blew the whistle ... 30 years later.

That argument is a false dichotomy.
There is absolutely no scientific evidence that preservatives or artificial colors are harmful to humans.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #149 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 10:44am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:12pm:

link

Which means that there are still 35% of cancers due to inherited genes and lifestyle.
So lifestyle improvements will still REDUCE your risk of getting cancer

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print