Send Topic Print
Anorexia or obesity? (Read 41998 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Anorexia or obesity?
Dec 4th, 2007 at 5:55pm

McDonalds couldn't have come up with a better disease if they tried. We are constantly told that a catwalk figure is unobtainable, that we have no control over what our body does. We are allowed to believe that a sedentary lifestyle is normal. We are told that 90 minutes of exercise a week is adequate. We are told not to stress if we can't shake off that fat. We are sold processed foods by the trolley full and reassured that you don't have to put much effort into dinner. We are constantly warned not to try too hard to slim down, in case we become a gaunt, psychotic shadow of a human with a warped sense of beauty. We are told that exercise merely increases appetite.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/anorexia-obesity.html

10 more causes of obesity: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1164689657

Childhood obesity 'to grow dramatically'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Childhood-obesity-to-grow-dramatically/2007/12/06/1196812875761.html

Childhood obesity will grow dramatically in coming years, raising death rates from heart disease, new studies in the United States and Denmark show.

A commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine, which published the studies, warned that if steps were not taken to reverse the problem, the children of each successive generation were destined to be "fatter and sicker than their parents."

For example, a 13-year-old boy who was 11.2 kg above the average weight was found to be 33 per cent more likely than a child of normal weight to have a heart attack or some other problem caused by coronary heart disease (CHD) by age 60.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:06pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Re: Anorexia or obesity?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:43am

No offence, but I believe that every person has the will to lose weight if they so choose it. I was 100 Kilos for a few years, Then I started noticing that my weight was impeding my health/movement, and I was sweating like there was no tommorrow(not that that's related I don't think?)

But allthough it was hard, I didn't need a diet of sorts. I just walked a hell of alot and ate well, and not too much. Stayed away from fast food most of all. Now I'm 85(not much of an improvement) But I feel a heck of alot better physically/ emotionally.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:41am

Sweating would be linked to fat. Fat insulates you - it keeps you warm. So you have to sweat more to cool off. It also makes you work harder to get around. I've also noticed that exercise improves my state of mind.

There was a big write up in the weekend Australian about sleep and obesity. Apparently lack of sleep can explain a lot of the obesity and also the difficulty in dealing with it. It is counterintuitive that you should spend more time in bed to lose weight.

Australian kids' sleep-deprivation 'epidemic'

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22890719-421,00.html

AUSTRALIAN children, teenagers in particular, are going through a sleep-deprivation epidemic.

Sleep expert Arthur Teng, head of the Sydney Children's Hospital's department of sleep medicine, believes many children are being wrongly diagnosed with learning difficulties or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) when all they really need is more sleep.

"Teenagers today are chronically sleep-deprived," Dr Teng said.

"A 15-year-old should be getting nine to 10 hours' sleep a night, but they're lucky to get six or seven.

"It's a public-health issue. We hear a lot of talk about alcohol, but how often do you hear about sleep?

"It's the one issue doctors don't often address. It's quicker to write a prescription for stimulants than to look at a child's sleep history."

Studies have also linked lack of sleep to obesity because it can affect a child's metabolism.

Dr Teng said modern children had many more distractions keeping them up late at night.

Some US schools have experimented with beginning classes an hour later, with astonishing results, including a rise in average test scores and, in one case, a drop of 16 per cent in the number of teenage car accidents.

Later bedtime may lead to childhood obesity: study

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/05/29/1935939.htm

Researchers at the University of South Australia say that children are going to bed half-an-hour later than they did 20 years ago.

Study author Dr Jim Dollman says although children are waking up at about the same time at around 7:00am, they are now going to bed later.

He says children aged between 10 and 15 years, on average, now go to bed at about 10:15pm, which is half-an-hour later than in 1985.

Dr Dollman says the lack of sleep could be a cause of higher weight levels in children.

"That's the difference in sleep duration between overweight and normal weight children, according to a recent study overseas," he said.

"So it may well be that the 30-minute reduction is contributing in the increase in the prevalence of overweight that we're seeing among children."

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:24pm

I've had a pretty erratic sleeping pattern from around the time I was 15, that could be linked to why I had a slow metabolism, evidently the cause of my weight gain. I was around 70 kilos back then, which my doctor said, for my height was an average weight, not too overweight or under. Then later on when I got to being around the age of 16-17 I started to pack the weight on.

I used to go to bed @ around 8-9pm and wake up around 5-6am. Now it's more erratic, so much so I don't think I can identify a
set pattern for my sleep. There seems to be an epidemic, if that's the case, we need to get the message out there, but how?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:27pm

You could always try emailing a link to this thread to everyone you know....

IP Logged

tocrasher

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 2:46am

"Food is not addictive like cigarettes are, yet we have managed significant social change on cigarettes in less than a generation."

I beg to differ.
I used to work at the dreaded McDonald's, after eating the food I would find to have significant cravings for it, akin to the nicotine cravings a cigarette smoker experiences. Literally to the point that I would miss out on an entire lesson of the school day due to fantasizing about McChicken burgers (which, coincidentally contain 1750calories, more than three quarters of the daily recommended caloric intake of someone trying to maintain their current weight).

I now don't eat it at all, ha.

Oh and as for the sleep thing, it can work the other way too. Many anorexics complain of insomnia- visit any pro-ana forum to see first hand for yourself.

Also, as to the remark in the article about anorexic scaremongering;
I think the reason that obesity tends to be glossed over in favour of anorexia (I shall hitherto refer to Anorexia as 'ana'), at least media wise, is due to the almost cult-like following that Ana has built around it. There are countless forums and websites proudly proclaiming their 'pro-ana' status- with recipes, weight loss tips, 'thinspiration' (pictures of thin people- usually female to 'motivate' the aspiring Ana girls, heck, just google the term in Youtube to come up with countless videos of thin, sometimes emaciated girls. Heck, there's even sites that offer purging tips to aspiring bulimics (known as mia).

Anyway, my point being, there's almost a sort of underground Anorexic syndicate which is, in large (oh the irony), very disturbing.
Do obese people have a Fat Club? I think not.

Apologies if this post was sort of incoherent, I haven't slept in like 50hours,

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Many obese people 'deny' they are fat
Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 9:16pm

Hi tocrasher and welcome to OzPolitic.

I'm sure there are plenty of fat clubs and groups for people with fat fetishes. Just not enough for all the fat people around.

As for addictiveness, just because you get a craving for something doesn't mean it is addictive. Getting 3/4 of you daily energy requirement from one easy meal makes it a good choice from a normal survival sense, even if it is lacking in other nutrients. Under natural settings such a meal would give you the energy to seek out those other nutrients.

To be regarded as addictive, a substance must chemically over-ride the normal feedback mechanisms in the brain. That is, a substance that has no value for survival, but mimics signal chemicals used in the brain. There must also be significant consequences associated with withdrawal. If you stop eating junk food, you stop thinking about it soon enough. You don't lose control of your emotions or risk death because your brain can no longer function without it.

This sounds very similar to anorexia - a warped self image:

Many obese people 'deny' they are fat

http://news.smh.com.au/many-obese-people-deny-they-are-fat/20080125-1o4x.html

More than half of Australian adults are either overweight or obese, but are increasingly kidding themselves that they are not fat, a new government report shows.

The report also found that overweight and obese people were increasingly likely to see themselves as having an acceptable weight, rising from 37 per cent in 1995, to 41 per cent in 2001 and 44 per cent in 2004-05.

The Australian Medical Association has called on the federal government to match Britain's decision to adopt a national obesity strategy.

The UK government will spend STG372 million ($A837 million) over three years to fight the epidemic in Britain.

AMA president Rosanna Capolingua said leadership to tackle the crisis must come from the federal government.

The AMA wants mandatory labelling of 'added' trans fats content in packaged foods, followed by the removal of added trans fats from food.

It also wants the government to subsidise the cost of basic nutritious foods in parts of Australia where costs are consistently above the national average.

'Cold climate genes' blamed for obesity

http://news.smh.com.au/cold-climate-genes-blamed-for-obesity/20080215-1shd.html

Genes that helped early humans adapt to cold climates may be driving metabolism-related diseases such as obesity or diabetes in many countries, US researchers say.

They found a strong correlation between climate and genetic adaptations that influence the risk of metabolic syndrome, a group of related disorders such as obesity, high cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes.

from crikey:

Pharmacists sign with Big Pharma to promote anti-fat drug
Ray Moynihan writes:

The controversial anti-fat drug Xenical has been given a new lease of life, with the announcement of a special financial arrangement between pharmacists and Swiss drug giant Roche.

The commercial arm of the Pharmacy Guild has just signed a deal with Roche to become the "brand manager" for Xenical, a drug criticised for modest benefits and the side effects of diarrhea.

The Guild represents almost 5000 Australian pharmacists, and its commercial arm Gold Cross already endorses many products, including vitamins, cold and flu tablets and methadone.

But this latest deal to "brand manage" Xenical has attracted fierce criticism from Adelaide GP Dr Peter Mansfield, who says the drug is "almost ineffective and has frequent unpleasant adverse effects." A recent review of trials showed that over a year, in combination with a special diet, the drug may help someone lose 3 kg more than a person who simply had the diet. Up to a third of those taking the drug suffer problems including "oily stool, faecal urgency and oily spotting."

Attacking the deal Mansfield told Crikey: "Pharmacists need to decide if they want to work for the drug companies or for their patients. This is a short term temptation to make money at the expense of public trust in the long run."

Roche has already come under heavy flak for Xenical TV ads run during Australian Idol, attracting criticism it was marketing the drug to healthy young people concerned about body image.

The Pharmacy Guild’s national president Kos Sclavos strongly defended the deal and rejected criticisms of Xenical.

"It is one of the few proven efficacious drugs for weight loss" he said.

"We disagree with assertions that the product has a significant side effect profile. The diarrhea, the side effect, is actually part of the way the product works."

According to Sclavos, the Guild’s commercial arm stepped in because Roche had essentially stopped marketing it, and there was fear the company would withdraw it. He also criticized the Roche TV ads and said the drug would be marketed "professionally."
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2008 at 5:31pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:59am

This is an old thread, but it's true that because people in general are heavier these days,  they not only think that their weight is acceptable when it's clearly causing them health problems, but they think that people whose weight is normal, are anorexic. 

I have had comments that I'm anorexic, or just too thin, even though my BMI would place me as just on the upper edge of the acceptable range. It's on the upper edge because of higher than average muscle development as a result of my weight training exercises.

People are just not used to athletes.

Roll on the Bridge to Brisbane! 83 days to go!

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Mary Breaux

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 12:39pm

I think that every person has to have a constant battle with himself or herself. I don't even take supplements anymore since more and more people are becoming conscious about their health, there are deceitful companies that make up so-called supplements, and "herbal", "natural" products. If you want to be sure, go to the market, buy fresh fruits and veggies and take the time to prepare things from scratch...

accurate psychic
maryb46 maryb46  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 2:50pm

I have a theory about this... and I dont find food is as satisfying as it once was..

Bread is the biggy.. I remember coming home from school.[always starving] and eating usually the crusty bit off the end of the loaf.. and that would do me.we only had jam in my day..now some can eat half a loaf of bread and still look for something else..

what can I feed my 13 yr old grandson he is well over 50kilos and we cant fill him up..he is going to be a big boy his dad is over 6ft and wears size 13 shoes.. so we are not kidding ourselves he is going to be slim, but we dont want flabby.. so what do you do... if they buy  lowfat yogurt, he eats the lot.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 4:04pm

cods wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 2:50pm:
I have a theory about this... and I dont find food is as satisfying as it once was..

Bread is the biggy.. I remember coming home from school.[always starving] and eating usually the crusty bit off the end of the loaf.. and that would do me.we only had jam in my day..now some can eat half a loaf of bread and still look for something else..

what can I feed my 13 yr old grandson he is well over 50kilos and we cant fill him up..he is going to be a big boy his dad is over 6ft and wears size 13 shoes.. so we are not kidding ourselves he is going to be slim, but we dont want flabby.. so what do you do... if they buy  lowfat yogurt, he eats the lot.

they like to make out that fat is the enemy, and to some extent, it is.  It is the most energy-rich per gram, with 1g of fat containing more than double the calories of 1g of carbohydrate.  However, it's much harder for the body to break down, so keeps you full for longer.  Lowfat/fat free foods  are often packed with sugar, which the body breaks down rapidly, so you do not feel full for long. 
Protein is hardest for the body to break down, and makes you feel full for longer.  Obviosuly a balance is fats/carbs and protein is required, but modern diets generally are not varied enough to provide the right balance, and the body adapts, but not always in the way you hoped for.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

DifferentFrequency

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 3:00pm

Progressives have dicked it up again. They made this destructive feminist issue out of body image. My sister and I both worry about it, but my mum who grew up before the whole big is beautiful push has never found watching her weight is a burden.

It's about the poisoness modern life but its confused with Feminism.

Having said that, body image issues are a massive downer. I think about how disgusting I look all day, and im not even medically obese. I'm 3 kgs over the weight I should be.

Beware of those who keep cats, for those are the familiar of the communist

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 3:04pm

Two bodies or not two bodies - that is the question.....

My favourite study of heart issues was by an Indian doctor, who, in doing a study of thin and fat people, determined that a man who had a poor diet when young had a body that acted like a fat person's body in that it stored fat and clogged arteries.  I relate to that since I - and siblings - were half-starved when young, and all have early heart troubles.

To me this has the ring of truth.... a starved rat, once introduced to a good diet, accumulates all the problem stuff at the same rate as a fat man... the body hoards against the next lean time.... and thus self-destructs.

Just saying...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

DifferentFrequency

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 3:08pm

cods wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 2:50pm:

what can I feed my 13 yr old grandson he is well over 50kilos and we cant fill him up..he is going to be a big boy his dad is over 6ft and wears size 13 shoes.. so we are not kidding ourselves he is going to be slim, but we dont want flabby.. so what do you do... if they buy  lowfat yogurt, he eats the lot.

who knows what poisons have affected us. I gain weight if I eat normally and only stabilize if I ruthlessly diet.

Im led to believe that people get fat from antidepressants because he body is surrounding the organs with fat to protect the organs from the toxins.

Food today is poison, unless you eat game meat only (even the vegetables have been GM so we don't even have the breeds from 70 years ago when his started.  maybe we want to eat more to make that layer of fat.

Beware of those who keep cats, for those are the familiar of the communist

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 4:29pm

the only thing which makes us fat are carbohydrates, even exercise isnt strictly neccassary to control weight.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print