Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Housing subsidy pushes prices up (Read 19837 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Housing subsidy pushes prices up
Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:16pm

Thanks deepthought. Yes I forgot about the fact that the stockmarket was on the nose for a few years after the dot com bust. Conversely the property slump has done wonders for our stockmarket!

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:41pm

pjb05 wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:16pm:
Thanks deepthought. Yes I forgot about the fact that the stockmarket was on the nose for a few years after the dot com bust. Conversely the property slump has done wonders for our stockmarket!

There's a myriad reasons isn't there pjb - the strength of the Aussie dollar means investing off shore is more expensive, the change in housing requirements (single people households), and on it goes.  While freediver keeps saying it's the GST offset grant for first home buyers - a sum of $7k available only to a small percentage of the market.  I find it amusing to see him cling to such a patently absurd claim because an economist said it's true.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:50pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 4:37pm

Seeing that it doesn't apply to investors or people buying their second or more home its effect on house prices during the boom was probably small.

Yes it was only responsible for part of the boom, but the point is that it did push up house prices. It only has to push up house prices by a small amount to make it a bad idea.

An interesting article from crikey on housing costs. I'm not sure I agree with the bit about interest rates somehow favouring the pruchase of existing homes.

Interest rate rises are supposed to slow the economy ... how then do we explain the surge in house prices in 2007, a surge that came despite two interest rate rises during that year (and after three in 2006)?

The Australian Bureau of Statistics house price index (which calculates the average price across the eight capital cities) jumped by a boomish 12.3% in the year to December.

That was the fastest annual pace since March 2004, when the last Australia-wide housing boom (driven by strong demand for loans) was dying. Brisbane was the stand-out, with an annual rise of 21.6%, Melbourne enjoyed an 18.1% jump and even Adelaide saw a 20% rise. Sydney enjoyed 8% growth but Perth saw prices up just 1.1% in the year as its boom exhausted itself with buyers driven from the market (Perth prices rose by more than 30% in 2006-07).

So on the face of it, the boom is back and lending is strong, but a rate rise later today should add to the pressure for a slowdown shoudn't it? Well, not so fast. According to the RBA's own figures, growth in home lending was already at the lowest level for nine years in the year to December. Official Reserve Bank figures on credit growth released last week showed that in the year to December, the growth in housing loans was running at an annual rate of 11.6%, which shows no change since September of last year and the growth rate had slowed from around 13.7% at the end of 2006.

That can't just be explained by the slowdown in housing loans coming from non-bank lenders who have been forced to curtail their activities by the problems at RAMS and the impact of the credit crunch. The growth in housing advances was slowing before then.

So if the growth in housing loans is running at lower than expected levels, why are house prices surging again, and surging at boom-like conditions in Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne in particular? Interest rate rises are in fact a large part of the cause because they erode the affordability of new housing, thereby restraining supply as demand rises for the existing stock of houses. So a tightening of monetary policy today will have (as it had last year) the perverse impact of providing some upward pressure on house price inflation.

What many of the stories in repossessions and foreclosures in Sydney do not explore is the incidence of people who are investors losing their investment and primary properties: that's not mortgage stress as the many Australian home owners would understand.

House prices in the major cities rose faster than the servicing costs rose last year, which means many home owners got wealthier, while renters and others suffered because of a near 10% rise in rental costs over the year.

So I reckon that all the moaning and groaning about rising mortgage stress should be taken with a great big chunk of salt. We have the unedifying spectacle of hundreds of thousands of people worrying about housing affordability and mortgage stress (so we are told) while the value of their houses climbed at three times the rate of inflation nationally, and by a fifth in three major capital cities.

I reckon there's a lot of misery guts out there in Australia who don't know when they are well off.

And finally, the cut-off for mortgage stress is when servicing costs hit 30% or more of income (they were much higher in the 70s and 80s). In Spain, where the housing sector is imploding, it’s over 45%. Now that’s stress.

Dr Ron Wood, The Econoclast. What we’ve got is called capitalism, not inflation. When the price of fuel goes up its because of reasons relating to supply and demand. That’s not inflation, it’s a market mechanism. If you’ve got fruit going up because suddenly you’ve got a shortage of bananas and that causes apples to go up because people buy more apples, that’s just a market mechanism at work. Same with fuel, we know why that has gone up. The other things that have gone up are all the bits that contribute to the RBA raising rates: rents, and interest and deposit facilities. If you take only those four items out of the CPI that leaves you with 111 out of 115 items. You’ve still got 97% of all items, which represent an inflation figure of 2.4%, which is at the lower bounds of the target range, and it’s been stuck at the lower end for two years, even including the impact of fruit, fuel and the RBA controls. What a lot of economists do is say that if the CPI is rising that must be a sign that the price mechanism has broken down, then they make the leap to say we must have inflation. But if the CPI is not rising that much at all, then you don’t even have the footprint of inflation. What we have is capitalism at work.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2008 at 5:24pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:23pm

Kevin Rudd has released more plans to reduce house costs. Part of this includes spending half a billion dollars on tax incentives for the construction of rental properties that rent for 20% or more below market value. This will skew the housing market towards cheap 'shoddy' construction as builders cut corners to get the tax incentives at the expense of the long term viability of the investment. It will also fuel inflation by enouraging investers to borrow to invest quickly. Rudd will also be subsidising new developments via subsidies to councils, which will skew the market away from improvements within existing suburbs where water, transport, schools and other infrastructure are already in place. The Victorian state government is trying to siphon off as much of this subsidy as possible, while adding to the above problems, by freeing up land for tens of thousands of new blocks on Melbourne's outskirts, where the subsidised rent will be cheap, but the commute to work and everything else will be expensive.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:55pm

freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 3:23pm:
Kevin Rudd has released more plans to reduce house costs. Part of this includes spending half a billion dollars on tax incentives for the construction of rental properties that rent for 20% or more below market value. This will skew the housing market towards cheap 'shoddy' construction as builders cut corners to get the tax incentives at the expense of the long term viability of the investment. It will also fuel inflation by enouraging investers to borrow to invest quickly. Rudd will also be subsidising new developments via subsidies to councils, which will skew the market away from improvements within existing suburbs where water, transport, schools and other infrastructure are already in place. The Victorian state government is trying to siphon off as much of this subsidy as possible, while adding to the above problems, by freeing up land for tens of thousands of new blocks on Melbourne's outskirts, where the subsidised rent will be cheap, but the commute to work and everything else will be expensive.

Yes, another ill-thought out policy from the Liebor Fantasyland Party.  Has he any idea at all?  I guess not which is why he's got a bunch of seat polishing committee members and is planning to get 1000 dudes together to tell him he's an idiot.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 3:35pm

deepy - the 1000 seat polishing committee members will know much better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:45pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 3:35pm:
deepy - the 1000 seat polishing committee members will know much better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

Yes, quite right sprint.  But being there will make them realise they are within an idea free zone with Little Kevvy determining its demarcation.

But you're right they will enjoy the glory of having comfy seats to fart in, a nice nosh up, some blithering idiots from the Liebor Lala Party doing a few tricks and apologising for each other and ultimately an entry in their resumes when they go for that job as chief seat polisher in some public service dead end.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:16pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:55pm:
Yes, another ill-thought out policy from the Liebor Fantasyland Party.  Has he any idea at all?  

What should he have done instead?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:42pm

RecFisher wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:16pm:
deepthought wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:55pm:
Yes, another ill-thought out policy from the Liebor Fantasyland Party.  Has he any idea at all?  

What should he have done instead?

Not thought of it and fixed the dishwasher instead.  That would have been more productive and less damaging to society.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008 at 5:26am by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Senexx

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 7:40pm

Housing subsidy pushes prices up in densely populated areas where the housing market is a speculator's dream.  In less populated areas where the median income is much lower it is a real boon

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:03pm

This is what Mr.Swann had to say on his blog:

[Comment From Patricia]
Mr Swan what about me? I am 63 and work full time and paying my own house off. Your reforms will not give me any more money in my pocket. I will be working forever.
Hi everyone - Wayne Swan here. It's great to be online to answer your questions about our tax plans for the future.

And Hi Patricia - thanks for your question.

We've put in place a very substantial measure through our changes to superannuation which means that people over 50 will be able to make bigger concessional contributions to their super accounts, provided they have a super balance under $500,000.

We've done this because we recognise that many Australians may not have had the chance to build up adequate super earlier in their life, but at this stage in their life, perhaps with the kids off their hands, they might have more scope to build up their super to prepare better for their retirement.

That's a major measure and we're proud of it.

[b]Mr.Swan.
Can you please inform me where is Patricia going to get $50,000 to put into super as she is still paying off her house?

How much does Mr.Swann know about economics making a silly statement like that and he handles the countries finances.      

Yours truly
Hawil

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:04am

LOL, I think you got him there. It annoys me when politicians don't answer the actual question and just recite something else that they've done and how wonderful it is.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print