Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Aussie emissions targets 'affordable' (Read 15551 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Aussie emissions targets 'affordable'
Dec 3rd, 2007 at 2:23pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Aussie-emissions-targets-affordable/2007/12/03/1196530542715.html

Australia can afford to introduce tough pollution and carbon reduction targets as part of a commitment to curb global warming, a new report says.

The Climate Institute has released findings which it says show there will be little economic impact if Australia establishes measures to reduce greenhouse gases.

The report, prepared by the institute, CSIRO and Monash University, found that if Australia committed to reversing its pollution by 2012, reducing emissions by 20 per cent by 2020, and becoming carbon neutral by 2050, economic growth would not be hampered.

It said under the required changes, economic growth, using GDP as a measure, would be 2.8 per cent annually to 2050, compared with 2.9 per cent if no action was taken.

Employment would increase from 9.7 million to 16.7 million jobs by the middle of the century, while energy prices would fall from six per cent of average income today to four per cent by 2050.

Australia could face penalty under Kyoto

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Australia-could-face-penalty-under-Kyoto/2007/12/03/1196530489002.html

Australia faces high penalties for exceeding its greenhouse-gas emission targets under the Kyoto Protocol, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says.

Climate-change and ratification of Kyoto will be high on the agenda of the new Labor government's first cabinet meeting in Canberra on Monday.

Mr Rudd is hoping the ratification process will be well advanced by the time he arrives in Bali next week for the next round of post-Kyoto discussions.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Aussie emissions targets 'affordable'
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 3:04pm

is he going to think about it first ?
Or just wade in, full of bravado, at our expense ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 3:09pm

They have had a long time to think about it while in opposition.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 7:32pm

just answer the question please

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:32pm

Did any of you see the ultra broad, and apparently genuine chesire cat grin from Howard Bamsey, our Senior Delegate there, as he announced at Bali that we would sign up for Kyoto?

He was Turnbull's Number One in this area.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:32pm

Whatever you say Sprint. I'll even answer both.

Yes.

No.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:00pm

freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:32pm:
Whatever you say Sprint. I'll even answer both.

Yes.

No.

No he's not going to think about it - he already ratified it today even though he knows it will cost the taxpayer dearly.

Quote:
Rudd fears Kyoto target won't be met

KEVIN Rudd in his first act as prime minister has ratified the Kyoto Protocol, but warned Australia is likely to face harsh penalties for missing its target under the treaty.

Mr Rudd signed the instrument of ratification after receiving the required approval from Governor-General Michael Jeffery today, coinciding with the start of post-Kyoto talks in Bali.

The news was greeted with applause on the floor of the Bali conference.

Australia would become a full Kyoto member before the end of next March, as the ratification becomes effective 90 days after being received by the United Nations, Mr Rudd said.

"Australia's official declaration today that we will become a member of the Kyoto Protocol is a significant step forward in our country's efforts to fight climate change domestically and with the international community," he said.

Under the treaty, the nation has a target of restricting greenhouse gas emissions to 108 per cent of 1990 levels during the 2008-12 commitment period.

While the former Coalition Government insisted it was on track to meet that goal, Mr Rudd is less confident.

"We are currently likely to ... overshoot our Kyoto target by one per cent," he told ABC Radio.

The Prime Minister said the penalty would be set out under the post-Kyoto deal that kicks in after 2012.

It would include a commitment to a further reduction – 60 million tonnes – in carbon emissions plus a 30 per cent penalty added to the subsequent commitment target.

Make those supporters pay dearly for their support Kevvy

He doesn't give a testicular craptacular for Australians.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:20pm

And we will have to give financial incentives and key technology away to China to make a minute difference to GHG...which may or may not provide any benefit.

Way to f'k us over you LW freaks
Roll Eyes

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:34pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:32pm:
Did any of you see the ultra broad, and apparently genuine chesire cat grin from Howard Bamsey, our Senior Delegate there, as he announced at Bali that we would sign up for Kyoto?

He was Turnbull's Number One in this area.

I guess no-one read that post of mine.

Back to the salt mines for me!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:36pm

No Aussie I didn't see it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:03pm

freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:36pm:
No Aussie I didn't see it.

Bugger,  It was expressive.

Bamsey has been there for yonks, and through a couple of Ministers, including Turnbull.

His Mission would have been confused, planning wise. 

"I am going to Bali.......if hayseed wins, I'll say this.  If he doesn't, faaaaaark.  Phew, Rudd just rang, and I can say yep to Kyoto."

Wouldn't you just love being a senior beaurocrat?

In his case, this time he did.

Bamsey was the first to announce to the World that we would officially sign up to Kyoto, and he obviously was very pleased to say so.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:10pm

I have no idea who half of those people are.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:10pm

"Wouldn't you just love being a senior beaurocrat?

In his case, this time he did.

Bamsey was the first to announce to the World that we would officially sign up to Kyoto, and he obviously was very pleased to say so."

Of course...bureaucrats live for back slapping- day to day living expenses like power bills and petrol expenses don't actually worry them.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:12pm

They don't worry me either IQ. The sooner they go up the better.

Of course, I would prefer if other prices came down at the same time.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:18pm

They don't worry me either IQ. The sooner they go up the better.

and how much will the subsidies cost the taxpayer to compensate 'downtrodden'

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:24pm

freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:10pm:

They, Elde Fruit, are the buggers who formulate our policy.

'Yes Minister.'

Bamsey is a Grade A, died in the wool, ingrained Public Service excellence.........background in Foreign Affairs (once our Rep to the UN) and then on to whales and now, this job.

Smart cookie.

Let's see if the Rock Star keeps him there?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:50pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:24pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:10pm:

They, Elde Fruit, are the buggers who formulate our policy.

'Yes Minister.'

Bamsey is a Grade A, died in the wool, ingrained Public Service excellence.........background in Foreign Affairs (once our Rep to the UN) and then on to whales and now, this job.

Smart cookie.

Let's see if the Rock Star keeps him there?

Rudd has targetted people like this bludger for annihilation with his razor gang.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 8:49am

On what basis are you able to conclude that Bamsey is a bludger?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:03am

and how much will the subsidies cost the taxpayer to compensate 'downtrodden'

What subsidies? If you are referring to my comment about prices coming down, I was talking about a green tax shift:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

An interesting interview about climate change on four corners with Malcolm Turnbull and a few others:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2007/s1961538.htm

TRISTAN EDIS, BUSINESS COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE ENERGY: Our electricity greenhouse emissions in Australia have grown 50 per cent since 1990 and ABARE forecasts that they'll grow by another 50 per cent by 2030. So we've got to go beyond what we're doing right now.

JONATHAN HOLMES: Most of the money and attention has gone on new ways of making electricity: clean coal; renewable energy; nuclear power. But they're all expensive. It's much cheaper just to use less, especially in our own homes. Australian households create 20 per cent of the nation's greenhouse gas emissions.

ALAN PEARS, ENERGY EFFICIENCY CONSULTANT: By 2030 with a reasonably strong and comprehensive energy efficiency program household greenhouse gas emissions could be cut by about 30 per cent.

Putting a price on water:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2003/transcripts/s901867.htm
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007 at 3:40pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 6:54pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 8:49am:
On what basis are you able to conclude that Bamsey is a bludger?

Little Kevvy concluded it - he calls it 'bloating' and 'fat' but we know what he means.  We Australians just use the vernacular "bludger".

Quote:
"Well a razor gang is precisely what it says — you look at the totality of government outlays and see the extent to which fat can be cut in administration and delivered to frontline services instead," he said.

"I think we've had too much bloating of administration in the federal bureaucracy and it's time that some of those resources were put into frontline services."

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:35pm

No....you made it personal to Bamsey.......you said....

Quote:
Rudd has targetted people like this bludger for annihilation with his razor gang.

Bludger = Bamsey, according to you.

Can you back that up, or you could concede it was just your fingers on the key-board going faster than the brain.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:54pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:35pm:

Quote:

Can you back that up, or you could concede it was just your fingers on the key-board going faster than the brain.

Bludger = Annihilation, according to Kevvy.

Kevvy's the dude cutting the 'fat' out of the Public Service and unless he is completely bonkers he means the bludgers, after all he surely won't keep them while getting rid of the workers.  And as he has referred to excising the 'fat' while still maintaining services to the newly suffering taxpayer he must mean bludgers like Bamsey.

Trouble is I have no idea how he is going to do even that.  During the election bulltesticularing he promised to get a bunch of review committees going (well over a hundred) and set up a stack of duplicate bureacracies like the Petrol Timewasting Committee and the Grocery Timewasting one and even one to look at house prices.

What will they do sitting on their fat arses watching prices go up as prices have since the dinosaurs started selling their eggs to the highest bidders?  Just what will they do other than chew up taxpayer dollars?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #22 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:20am

They'll boot he silly testicle out after this report

Quote:
We will fail Kyoto target

AUSTRALIA is set to miss its Kyoto targets, prompting the new Rudd Government to call for urgent modelling in an attempt to avoid stringent penalties.

Newly appointed Minister for Climate Change Penny Wong yesterday confirmed she had received official advice that Australia is likely to be about 1 per cent over its maximum greenhouse gas output of an 8 per cent increase on 1990 levels by 2012.

Senator Wong, who along with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and several other senior ministers is preparing to travel to the UN Climate Change Conference in Bali next week, said she has asked her department to undertake urgent modelling to determine whether Labor's policy of 20 per cent renewable energy production by 2020 will cut emissions.

She said the modelling will take between four and six weeks, meaning its findings will not be available to the Government as it enters Bali talks about post-Kyoto arrangements.

Bend over taxpayers

After all Little Kevvy has set us up for penalties in his eagerness to play the big shot - I can unite the world on climate, says Rudd

For some reason the term 'tosser' comes to mind.  I bet the world is laughing.  I am.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:06am

so kevvy rushed in without due consideration. typical newboy.

we are going to be left holding the baby, with no upside.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #24 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:58am

DT says-
For some reason the term 'tosser' comes to mind.  I bet the world is laughing.  I am.

why does that not surprise  me.?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 10:41am

oceans - because DT makes practical decisions ?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:24pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:54pm:

Quote:

Kevvy's the dude cutting the 'fat' out of the Public Service and unless he is completely bonkers he means the bludgers, after all he surely won't keep them while getting rid of the workers.  And as he has referred to excising the 'fat' while still maintaining services to the newly suffering taxpayer he must mean bludgers like Bamsey.

Trouble is I have no idea how he is going to do even that.  During the election bulltesticularing he promised to get a bunch of review committees going (well over a hundred) and set up a stack of duplicate bureacracies like the Petrol Timewasting Committee and the Grocery Timewasting one and even one to look at house prices.

What will they do sitting on their fat arses watching prices go up as prices have since the dinosaurs started selling their eggs to the highest bidders?  Just what will they do other than chew up taxpayer dollars?

I Hope Bamsey reads this and sues your arse off.  Bamsey is no bludger, yet you say he is and you give nothing to back it up when directly challenged.

Nasty that, DT.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #27 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:56pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:24pm:
deepthought wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:54pm:

Quote:

Kevvy's the dude cutting the 'fat' out of the Public Service and unless he is completely bonkers he means the bludgers, after all he surely won't keep them while getting rid of the workers.  And as he has referred to excising the 'fat' while still maintaining services to the newly suffering taxpayer he must mean bludgers like Bamsey.

Trouble is I have no idea how he is going to do even that.  During the election bulltesticularing he promised to get a bunch of review committees going (well over a hundred) and set up a stack of duplicate bureacracies like the Petrol Timewasting Committee and the Grocery Timewasting one and even one to look at house prices.

What will they do sitting on their fat arses watching prices go up as prices have since the dinosaurs started selling their eggs to the highest bidders?  Just what will they do other than chew up taxpayer dollars?

I Hope Bamsey reads this and sues your arse off.  Bamsey is no bludger, yet you say he is and you give nothing to back it up when directly challenged.

Nasty that, DT.

So do I hope he reads it.   He has great reason to fear the new Liebor government's razor gang.  In fact the site of the AGO carries this message

Quote:
SITE NOTICE:

A new Government was sworn in by the Governor-General on 3 December 2007, including the following Ministerial appointments:

Senator The Hon Penny Wong - Minister for Climate Change and Water.
The Hon Peter Garrett AM MP - Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts.

Content on this web site is being reviewed. It currently provides information about programmes formerly administered by the Australian Greenhouse Office.

Any questions relating to archived content can be directed to the Manager, Climate Change Communications communications@environment.gov.au.

One assumes your mate will not know what is happening next.  The dole queue?

Incidentally, why not tell us what he has done as CEO of the Greenhouse Office - freediver greeted my revelation that Australia even had a Greenhouse Office with considerable mirth, he will be keen to hear the contributions Bamsey has made too.  You have been very quick to defend this fellow - I assume you have a lot of things to tell us and explain why he's not a bludger.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2007 at 6:02pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:48pm

I need prove nothing.  Maybe, soon, elsewhere, you will have to prove your allegation that Bamsey is a bludger.

You called it, you need to prove it.

Someone, not so long ago, said:

Quote:
But it is not truth without evidence.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:36pm

Deepy, you made the claim, you should back it up, not expect others to defend some guy against unsubstantiated, and largely unsubstantiable allegations.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #30 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:55pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:36pm:
Deepy, you made the claim, you should back it up, not expect others to defend some guy against unsubstantiated, and largely unsubstantiable allegations.

I have already been through this exercise.  I made the claim on the basis that Little Kevvy plans on stripping off the fat of the PS without reducing services.  There is only one way to do that and that is to cut out the bludgers.

Now as Bamsey is a senior public servant and as Kevvy claims he can take an axe to the public service without affecting services I deduce that senior public servants (like Bamsey) must do nothing.  In Australian vernacular that is a bludger.   At least it is known as that in Queensland where I hail from.

But I have already said that.  I am happy to keep repeating it though as you and Aussie don't seem to read so well the first few dozen times I say stuff.

However you should both note that the website has been frozen pending review.  Perhaps I am dead right about Bamsey's trip to the dole office . . . .

However Aussie, you were quick to scuttle for cover when asked to explain what great deeds Bamsey has accomplished.  Why is that dude?  Cat got your tongue mate?   Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 9:19am

So uour view of him as a bludger is based on nothing more than his job title?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:54pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:55pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:36pm:

I have already been through this exercise.  I made the claim on the basis that Little Kevvy plans on stripping off the fat of the PS without reducing services.  There is only one way to do that and that is to cut out the bludgers.

Now as Bamsey is a senior public servant and as Kevvy claims he can take an axe to the public service without affecting services I deduce that senior public servants (like Bamsey) must do nothing.  In Australian vernacular that is a bludger.   At least it is known as that in Queensland where I hail from.

But I have already said that.  I am happy to keep repeating it though as you and Aussie don't seem to read so well the first few dozen times I say stuff.

However you should both note that the website has been frozen pending review.  Perhaps I am dead right about Bamsey's trip to the dole office . . . .

However Aussie, you were quick to scuttle for cover when asked to explain what great deeds Bamsey has accomplished.  Why is that dude?  Cat got your tongue mate?   Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:00pm

Did you intend to post a reply, or are you conceding the point?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:24pm

He concedes he has nothing but deduction based on political rhetoric in making a very defamatory allegation against a very senior public servant.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:46pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:00pm:
Did you intend to post a reply, or are you conceding the point?

Perhaps you should read it for the first time - I said I have already been through this exercise before (now for the fifth time) and I am happy to keep repeating it though as you and Aussie don't seem to read so well the first few dozen times I say stuff.

Read what I say.  I always say what I mean and I am happy to stand behind it.  Any questions just ask - but do try and ensure it hasn't already been covered or I will just post the same thing again.  And again.  And again.

deepthought wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:55pm:
I have already been through this exercise.  I made the claim on the basis that Little Kevvy plans on stripping off the fat of the PS without reducing services.  There is only one way to do that and that is to cut out the bludgers.

Now as Bamsey is a senior public servant and as Kevvy claims he can take an axe to the public service without affecting services I deduce that senior public servants (like Bamsey) must do nothing.  In Australian vernacular that is a bludger.   At least it is known as that in Queensland where I hail from.

But I have already said that.  I am happy to keep repeating it though as you and Aussie don't seem to read so well the first few dozen times I say stuff.

However you should both note that the website has been frozen pending review.  Perhaps I am dead right about Bamsey's trip to the dole office . . . .

However Aussie, you were quick to scuttle for cover when asked to explain what great deeds Bamsey has accomplished.  Why is that dude?  Cat got your tongue mate?   Wink

Aussie?  Your reams of good deeds performed by this 'senior public servant'?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:50pm

It's a simple yes or no question Deepy. Don't be a drama queen.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #37 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:47pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:50pm:
It's a simple yes or no question Deepy. Don't be a drama queen.

Quote:
I made the claim on the basis that Little Kevvy plans on stripping off the fat of the PS without reducing services.  There is only one way to do that and that is to cut out the bludgers.

This is my reasoning and I keep repeating it as you don't seem to comprehend the way the world works so well.

Let me ask you an analogous question.

IF a new manager comes into a company and he states that he will trim the bloat from it while maintaining front line services at the same level where do you think the cuts will be?   And what may you deduce from his statements about 'bloat' and 'fat'?   Cheesy

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #38 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 6:30pm

Perhaps that dole queue for Aussie's favourite public servant is looking pretty damned good as Little Kevvy back pedals as fast as his little legs will go.

Quote:
Australian PM distances himself from big emissions cuts by 2020

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Thursday denied his government would support deep carbon emission cuts for developing nations by 2020 aimed at curbing global warming.

Rudd said Australia remained opposed to the binding cuts of between 25 and 40 percent in the next 12 years, despite reports that Australian officials had publicly embraced the plan at a major UN climate change conference in Bali.

Speaking after his cabinet's first meeting in the eastern city of Brisbane, Rudd told reporters his government was opposed to the target, which originated from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change earlier this year.

"(Nations) have ... indicated that they do not necessarily accept those targets, nor do they accept those targets as binding targets for themselves," he said.

"That is also the position of the Australian government," he added, days before flying to Bali to attend the conference along with four of his senior ministers and just after he moved to ratify the Kyoto Protocol.

Two major Australian newspaper groups reported earlier Thursday that Australian representatives to the Bali conference had told delegates that Canberra "fully supports" the proposal that developed countries need to cut their greenhouse gas emissions by 25 to 40 percent by 2020.

Environmental groups had praised the reported announcement, while Australia's new opposition said such a move would have a "devastating impact" on the country's economy.

Rudd had earlier repeatedly said Australia would not set its own 2020 target until he received a report he has commissioned from his climate change economic specialist next year.

The prime minister, who has set a 2050 target for cutting greenhouse gas pollution by 60 percent, said Thursday he would wait for the report before setting short-term targets.

"I think speculation on individual numbers prior to that is not productive and I would suggest it would be better for all concerned if we waited for the outcome of that properly deliberated document," Rudd said.

Whoopsy Daisy, some bludger will lose his job over this

So if Little Kevvy plans on cutting emissions by 60% by 2050 why is he so reluctant to start making savings now?  Does he think he will be pushing up daisies in 40 plus years so he won't hear the cries of 'bullstesticles' when his supporters discover he lied all along?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:07pm

I claim victory.

DT posted that Bamsey is a bludger.  DT has provided NIL evidence in support, just clap-trap Uni student gibberish that gets him nowhere, and will get him nowhere if he ever steps inside a Court Room, where real live judicial animals await, and where play-school counts for nil, zip and even zero. 

QED.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #40 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:44pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:07pm:
I claim victory.

DT posted that Bamsey is a bludger.  DT has provided NIL evidence in support, just clap-trap Uni student gibberish that gets him nowhere, and will get him nowhere if he ever steps inside a Court Room, where real live judicial animals await, and where play-school counts for nil, zip and even zero.  

QED.

You claim victory?  Of what?   Was there a war on that I failed to spot?

By the way where is all that stuff about the bludging PS?  If you're going to claim victory so readily you need to post something to give you some credibility mate.   Cheesy

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #41 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:49pm

Meantime Little Kevvy and his mates are making odd noises.

Quote:
Rudd Says Australia Will Take `Lead' on Climate Plan

The Kevin Rudd government, which ratified the Kyoto Protocol in its first day in office, will take a ``leadership'' role in a global plan to tackle climate change, Australian Climate Change Minister Penny Wong said.

Australia, which will be a full member of the Kyoto Protocol by the end of March, will send Prime Minister Rudd and four of his ministers to the two-week United Nations Climate Change Conference in Bali, Indonesia.

``Australia can now play a leadership role,'' Wong, the government's chief negotiator in Bali, said in an interview in Canberra yesterday. ``Australia is prepared to play its part and do its bit to tackle the global challenge of climate change.''

'We'll play our part' says Penny, 'but it will be a secret part'

Just how will they take a lead when they won't reveal where they are going?  Who will follow?   Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 5:30pm

The National Emissions Trading Taskforce established by the states (which differs from the former PM’s Emissions Trading Taskgroup) has projected the additional weekly cost of electricity with an emissions trading scheme in operation. Their workings encompass three possible scenarios:

see page 91 and 103: http://www.emissionstrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/2019/Discussion_Paper_-_Ch_6_-_Estimated_impacts.pdf?source=cmailer

Scenario 1: Emissions capped at 2000 levels without substantial energy efficiency measures, which offers a 33% reduction in CO2 emissions at forecast 2030 levels.

Scenario 1a: The same as scenario 1 but with higher levels of energy efficiency.

Scenario 2: Emissions capped at approximately 1997 levels, offering a 43% reduction on forecast emissions for 2030.

Table: Average price increase for residential customers' electricity ($/week) under carbon emissions reduction schemes:

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #43 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 5:56pm

freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2007 at 5:30pm:
The National Emissions Trading Taskforce established by the states (which differs from the former PM’s Emissions Trading Taskgroup) has projected the additional weekly cost of electricity with an emissions trading scheme in operation. Their workings encompass three possible scenarios:

see page 91 and 103: http://www.emissionstrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/2019/Discussion_Paper_-_Ch_6_-_Estimated_impacts.pdf?source=cmailer

Scenario 1: Emissions capped at 2000 levels without substantial energy efficiency measures, which offers a 33% reduction in CO2 emissions at forecast 2030 levels.

Scenario 1a: The same as scenario 1 but with higher levels of energy efficiency.

Scenario 2: Emissions capped at approximately 1997 levels, offering a 43% reduction on forecast emissions for 2030.

Table: Average price increase for residential customers' electricity ($/week) under carbon emissions reduction schemes:

I reckon these dudes sit around laughing while they make this stuff up.  If you need to see the truth you only need look at what has happened to date.  Just this year the Queensland Liebor Minister for Mines and Energy approved a retail electricity price increase of 11.37%.  

Now we don't use a great deal of electricity so that meant an increase of $2 a week (approx).  But for users who do that would mean far more than $2 a week and according to those dopes that isn't going to happen until 2030.  Now that's Queensland.  In NSW they have had a price iincrease of 24% over the last three years.

But that's domestic use.  Some commercial users have faced price increases of up to 100% this year.

Did an economist get involved in that stuff free?

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #44 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:02pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 9:20pm:
And we will have to give financial incentives and key technology away to China to make a minute difference to GHG...which may or may not provide any benefit.

Way to f'k us over you LW freaks
Roll Eyes

Say again!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #45 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:07pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:20am:
They'll boot he silly testicle out after this report

Quote:
We will fail Kyoto target

AUSTRALIA is set to miss its Kyoto targets, prompting the new Rudd Government to call for urgent modelling in an attempt to avoid stringent penalties.

Newly appointed Minister for Climate Change Penny Wong yesterday confirmed she had received official advice that Australia is likely to be about 1 per cent over its maximum greenhouse gas output of an 8 per cent increase on 1990 levels by 2012.

Senator Wong, who along with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and several other senior ministers is preparing to travel to the UN Climate Change Conference in Bali next week, said she has asked her department to undertake urgent modelling to determine whether Labor's policy of 20 per cent renewable energy production by 2020 will cut emissions.

She said the modelling will take between four and six weeks, meaning its findings will not be available to the Government as it enters Bali talks about post-Kyoto arrangements.

Bend over taxpayers

After all Little Kevvy has set us up for penalties in his eagerness to play the big shot - I can unite the world on climate, says Rudd

For some reason the term 'tosser' comes to mind.  I bet the world is laughing.  I am.

You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm

You're not too fond of reality

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:05pm

Seems ALP now have to take a cautious approach. ie, reality raises its head.

"LABOR is getting a dose of their own environmental medicine as Kevin Rudd navigates the tricky issue of binding targets to restrict carbon emissions.

The very issue with which Labor was so successfully able to persecute the Howard government is now is its own burden.

Targets, particularly short term ones, cannot be pulled out of the air. As he prepares to fly out for Bali, the Prime Minister is trying to look co-operative while not signing a blank cheque.

It is a tricky tightrope.

Labor wants to look like it is taking the Vienna declaration of a 25 to 40 per cent cut in emissions in developed countries by 2020 seriously, but is resisting pressure to commit.

Pressure from whom? Generally the same groups that under Kyoto found it easier to push developed countries – the richer ones with a more dynamic domestic political constituency to satisfy – into binding agreements on targets, rather than demand developing ones to commit to action.

Trade Minister Simon Crean showed the difficulty of the nuances at the weekend when he said that the Bali conference was looking for "targets" from developed countries and "commitments" from developing ones.

But the China and India of 1990 is not the China and India of 2020. China is already a bigger emitter than the United States. The old paradigm of rich nations first does not apply as cleanly as it might once have.

Labor won political kudos by getting respected academic Ross Garnaut to explore in detail what the costs would be.

The Coalition was slow off the mark but had finally turned the weight of treasury to the task.

Wayne Swan made the remark last week that visited the office for the minister in the Department of Treasury’s headquarters the space had been taken up with climate change modellers.

Why the caution? The same caution that fuelled the Coalition’s tardiness: costs. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22898576-5013481,00.html

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #48 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:41pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

I love change.  But only the good kind.  Regressive change is over-rated.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
"Green jobs" to outweigh losses from climate chang
Reply #49 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 7:43pm

"Green jobs" to outweigh losses from climate change

http://uk.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUKL0612674420071206?source=cmailer

NUSA DUA, Indonesia (Reuters) - Climate change is creating millions of "green jobs" in sectors from solar power to biofuels that will slightly exceed layoffs elsewhere in the economy, a U.N. report said on Thursday.

Union experts at U.N. climate talks in Bali, Indonesia, said the findings might ease worries among many workers that tougher environmental standards could mean an overall loss of jobs for many countries.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #50 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:45pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm:
You're not too fond of reality

Let's see if you can explain yourself!

Tongue

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #51 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:41pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

I love change.  But only the good kind.  Regressive change is over-rated.

Grin

Like serfchoices and Nuclear Power was progressive....

Cheesy

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #52 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:22pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

Grin

Cheesy

If by serfchoices you mean workchoices then you're right.  I reckon a 40 year low in unemployment, a 100 year low in industrial disputation, wages growth to embarrass a Liebor pollie and the freedom of choice finally balanced is what anyone would call progressive - unless of course unemployment, strikes paralysing industry, wage stagnation and central wage agreements is your idea of fun.

And nuclear power is the way of the future.  Imagine unlocking the energy packed into atoms.  Who would have thought?

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:16am

Aren't there more costs involved to make an investment into Nuclear. I'm not particuarly knowladgeable as far as Nuclear power is concerned. Is it a viable option. Personally I don't like the idea of producing nuclear waste and dumping it on another country's soil (or in our case in the Northern Territory)

I would rather support subsidies for greener technologies such as Solar etc.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:45am

Nuclear is more expensive than coal. For a baseload electricity supply, it is cheaper than renewables, because you have to add an energy storage component if you get all of your electricity from renewables. Either that or use pricing signals to deal with the fluctuations. However there is a good chance that geothermal will be cheaper than nuclear and we could probably get it up and running sooner.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #55 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:10pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:22pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

Grin

Cheesy

If by serfchoices you mean workchoices then you're right.  I reckon a 40 year low in unemployment, a 100 year low in industrial disputation, wages growth to embarrass a Liebor pollie and the freedom of choice finally balanced is what anyone would call progressive - unless of course unemployment, strikes paralysing industry, wage stagnation and central wage agreements is your idea of fun.

And nuclear power is the way of the future.  Imagine unlocking the energy packed into atoms.  Who would have thought?

Serfchoices was so bad...it reeks of being a trojan horse for Nuclear Power.

To bring in a policy such as serfchoices in a time of "BOOM" is mercilessly unkind and not many, bar the hardest right, could believe there was a kind heart behind it.

The question is...was it a trojan horse for Nuclear Power/Waste?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #56 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:10pm:

To bring in a policy such as serfchoices in a time of "BOOM" is mercilessly unkind and not many, bar the hardest right, could believe there was a kind heart behind it.

Yes I guess you are right.  As the coalition believe in fairness for all and the Liebor Party believe in making life tough for everyone but the wealthy I can see why leftards would not see the sheer elegance of a fair go for everyone.

And to your last question.  No.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #57 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm:

Yes I guess you are right.  As the coalition believe in fairness for all and the Liebor Party believe in making life tough for everyone but the wealthy I can see why leftards would not see the sheer elegance of a fair go for everyone.

Balls...the coalition don't believe in fairness!

Have the coalition dropped their pro-Nuclear stance yet and what is the rationale behind them not dropping it?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #58 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 8:45pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm:
deepthought wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm:

Balls...the coalition don't believe in fairness!

Have the coalition dropped their pro-Nuclear stance yet and what is the rationale behind them not dropping it?

Well under their amazing WorkChoices policy unemployment is at a 40 year low.  I don't know of anything better for Xmas than jobs for all.

I certainly hope the Libs haven't dropped their green policies.  They are opposed to greenhouse gas.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:45pm

DRAH would prefer that the world suffers under the strain of continual emittance of GHG rather than containment of energy pollution

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #60 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:50pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:45pm:
DRAH would prefer that the world suffers under the strain of continual emittance of GHG rather than containment of energy pollution

I don't understand why he is pro greenhouse gas.  Must be a greenie.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #61 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Why did Renewables go down under John Howard?

Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Undecided Lips Sealed

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #62 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:05pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:50pm:

I don't understand why he is pro greenhouse gas.  Must be a greenie.

Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Undecided Cry Lips Sealed Cry

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #63 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:51pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:05pm:

Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Undecided Cry Lips Sealed Cry

For the same reason they went down under Menzies, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, McMahon, Whitlam, Fraser, Hawke, Keating and now Rudd.

Demand outstrips supply and renewables (apart from Hydro) can not supply base load.  Everyone knows that.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:12pm

DT - I think every form of power generation can supply base load.

It's prob got more to go with nonrenable sources being cheaper. Coal is the cheapest.
Also maybe a bit to do with big companies behind coal etc.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #65 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:20pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:12pm:
DT - I think every form of power generation can supply base load.

It's prob got more to go with nonrenable sources being cheaper. Coal is the cheapest.
Also maybe a bit to do with big companies behind coal etc.

Sorry mate, only hydro, fossil fuels and nuclear can.  If the sun stops shining or the wind stops blowing . . . . .

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #66 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:48pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:51pm:

For the same reason they went down under Menzies, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, McMahon, Whitlam, Fraser, Hawke, Keating and now Rudd.

Demand outstrips supply and renewables (apart from Hydro) can not supply base load.  Everyone knows that.

Hang on, what do you mean, "...now Rudd"?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #67 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 6:12am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:48pm:

Demand outstrips supply and renewables (apart from Hydro) can not supply base load.  Everyone knows that.

Well I don't see the use of renewables going up.  Who is the current Prime Minister?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 9:02pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 20th, 2007 at 6:12am:

I don't understand why he is pro greenhouse gas.  Must be a greenie.

Demand outstrips supply and renewables (apart from Hydro) can not supply base load.  Everyone knows that.

Well I don't see the use of renewables going up.  Who is the current Prime Minister?

The bloke who has been there one month, as opposed to your fallen hero, who has been there (circa) 11 years.

Tongue

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #69 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 9:47pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 20th, 2007 at 9:02pm:
The bloke who has been there one month, as opposed to your fallen hero, who has been there (circa) 11 years.

Tongue

Yes, then there was those Liebor dudes Hawke and Cheating for 13 years before that.  So what's going on Aussie?  Can you explain it?

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #70 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 12:05pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 20th, 2007 at 6:12am:

Well I don't see the use of renewables going up.  Who is the current Prime Minister?

Perhaps it is your turn to wait?!?

You blokes are a joke!

Wink Cheesy Grin Huh Huh Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked Tongue Tongue Tongue Cry Cry Cry Lips Sealed

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #71 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:13pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 12:05pm:

You blokes are a joke!

Wink Cheesy Grin Huh Huh Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked Tongue Tongue Tongue Cry Cry Cry Lips Sealed

Thank you.

And I don't mind waiting - in fact the longer I wait the more right I become.  In every way.   Wink

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #72 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 8:14am

deepthought wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:13pm:

You blokes are a joke!

Thank you.

And I don't mind waiting - in fact the longer I wait the more right I become.  In every way.   Wink

Except, of course, about the supposed fact that Australia needs Nuclear Power/Waste.... and most other things.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #73 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 6:58pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 22nd, 2007 at 8:14am:
deepthought wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 5:13pm:

You blokes are a joke!

Thank you.

And I don't mind waiting - in fact the longer I wait the more right I become.  In every way.   Wink

Except, of course, about the supposed fact that Australia needs Nuclear Power/Waste.... and most other things.

In as much as the current power generation fuel creates airborne waste (and therefore shifts the problem elsewhere) I guess you're right that we can be quite irresponsible by doing what we have always done.

But I support green policies - hence I voted Liberal.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Renewable energy target 'unachievable'
Reply #74 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 6:59pm

http://news.smh.com.au/renewable-energy-target-unachievable/20080214-1s9z.html

The federal opposition predicts the government will be forced to abandon its renewable energy target and include clean coal technology in a new scheme.

Labor went to last year's election with a target of renewable energy making up 20 per cent of power generation by 2020.

But opposition climate change spokesman Greg Hunt believes the government will be forced to adopt the coalition's clean energy target by next year.

The coalition's target of about 15 per cent by 2020 includes the adoption of clean coal and gas technology.

"I predict that under pressure from the CFMEU, business, the bureaucracy and the alternative government, the ALP will have abandoned their current position before the next election," Mr Hunt told a Canberra function.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print