Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Aussie emissions targets 'affordable' (Read 15556 times)
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Re: Aussie emissions targets 'affordable'
Reply #45 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:07pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:20am:
They'll boot he silly testicle out after this report

Quote:
We will fail Kyoto target

AUSTRALIA is set to miss its Kyoto targets, prompting the new Rudd Government to call for urgent modelling in an attempt to avoid stringent penalties.

Newly appointed Minister for Climate Change Penny Wong yesterday confirmed she had received official advice that Australia is likely to be about 1 per cent over its maximum greenhouse gas output of an 8 per cent increase on 1990 levels by 2012.

Senator Wong, who along with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and several other senior ministers is preparing to travel to the UN Climate Change Conference in Bali next week, said she has asked her department to undertake urgent modelling to determine whether Labor's policy of 20 per cent renewable energy production by 2020 will cut emissions.

She said the modelling will take between four and six weeks, meaning its findings will not be available to the Government as it enters Bali talks about post-Kyoto arrangements.

Bend over taxpayers

After all Little Kevvy has set us up for penalties in his eagerness to play the big shot - I can unite the world on climate, says Rudd

For some reason the term 'tosser' comes to mind.  I bet the world is laughing.  I am.

You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm

You're not too fond of reality

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:05pm

Seems ALP now have to take a cautious approach. ie, reality raises its head.

"LABOR is getting a dose of their own environmental medicine as Kevin Rudd navigates the tricky issue of binding targets to restrict carbon emissions.

The very issue with which Labor was so successfully able to persecute the Howard government is now is its own burden.

Targets, particularly short term ones, cannot be pulled out of the air. As he prepares to fly out for Bali, the Prime Minister is trying to look co-operative while not signing a blank cheque.

It is a tricky tightrope.

Labor wants to look like it is taking the Vienna declaration of a 25 to 40 per cent cut in emissions in developed countries by 2020 seriously, but is resisting pressure to commit.

Pressure from whom? Generally the same groups that under Kyoto found it easier to push developed countries – the richer ones with a more dynamic domestic political constituency to satisfy – into binding agreements on targets, rather than demand developing ones to commit to action.

Trade Minister Simon Crean showed the difficulty of the nuances at the weekend when he said that the Bali conference was looking for "targets" from developed countries and "commitments" from developing ones.

But the China and India of 1990 is not the China and India of 2020. China is already a bigger emitter than the United States. The old paradigm of rich nations first does not apply as cleanly as it might once have.

Labor won political kudos by getting respected academic Ross Garnaut to explore in detail what the costs would be.

The Coalition was slow off the mark but had finally turned the weight of treasury to the task.

Wayne Swan made the remark last week that visited the office for the minister in the Department of Treasury’s headquarters the space had been taken up with climate change modellers.

Why the caution? The same caution that fuelled the Coalition’s tardiness: costs. "

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22898576-5013481,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #48 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:41pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

I love change.  But only the good kind.  Regressive change is over-rated.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
"Green jobs" to outweigh losses from climate chang
Reply #49 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 7:43pm

"Green jobs" to outweigh losses from climate change

http://uk.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUKL0612674420071206?source=cmailer

NUSA DUA, Indonesia (Reuters) - Climate change is creating millions of "green jobs" in sectors from solar power to biofuels that will slightly exceed layoffs elsewhere in the economy, a U.N. report said on Thursday.

Union experts at U.N. climate talks in Bali, Indonesia, said the findings might ease worries among many workers that tougher environmental standards could mean an overall loss of jobs for many countries.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #50 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:45pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm:
You're not too fond of reality

Let's see if you can explain yourself!

Tongue

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #51 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:41pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

I love change.  But only the good kind.  Regressive change is over-rated.

Grin

Like serfchoices and Nuclear Power was progressive....

Cheesy

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #52 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:22pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

Grin

Cheesy

If by serfchoices you mean workchoices then you're right.  I reckon a 40 year low in unemployment, a 100 year low in industrial disputation, wages growth to embarrass a Liebor pollie and the freedom of choice finally balanced is what anyone would call progressive - unless of course unemployment, strikes paralysing industry, wage stagnation and central wage agreements is your idea of fun.

And nuclear power is the way of the future.  Imagine unlocking the energy packed into atoms.  Who would have thought?

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:16am

Aren't there more costs involved to make an investment into Nuclear. I'm not particuarly knowladgeable as far as Nuclear power is concerned. Is it a viable option. Personally I don't like the idea of producing nuclear waste and dumping it on another country's soil (or in our case in the Northern Territory)

I would rather support subsidies for greener technologies such as Solar etc.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:45am

Nuclear is more expensive than coal. For a baseload electricity supply, it is cheaper than renewables, because you have to add an energy storage component if you get all of your electricity from renewables. Either that or use pricing signals to deal with the fluctuations. However there is a good chance that geothermal will be cheaper than nuclear and we could probably get it up and running sooner.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #55 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:10pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:22pm:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:47pm:
You don't like change.

The world turns, mate!

Grin

Cheesy

If by serfchoices you mean workchoices then you're right.  I reckon a 40 year low in unemployment, a 100 year low in industrial disputation, wages growth to embarrass a Liebor pollie and the freedom of choice finally balanced is what anyone would call progressive - unless of course unemployment, strikes paralysing industry, wage stagnation and central wage agreements is your idea of fun.

And nuclear power is the way of the future.  Imagine unlocking the energy packed into atoms.  Who would have thought?

Serfchoices was so bad...it reeks of being a trojan horse for Nuclear Power.

To bring in a policy such as serfchoices in a time of "BOOM" is mercilessly unkind and not many, bar the hardest right, could believe there was a kind heart behind it.

The question is...was it a trojan horse for Nuclear Power/Waste?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #56 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:10pm:

To bring in a policy such as serfchoices in a time of "BOOM" is mercilessly unkind and not many, bar the hardest right, could believe there was a kind heart behind it.

Yes I guess you are right.  As the coalition believe in fairness for all and the Liebor Party believe in making life tough for everyone but the wealthy I can see why leftards would not see the sheer elegance of a fair go for everyone.

And to your last question.  No.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #57 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm:

Yes I guess you are right.  As the coalition believe in fairness for all and the Liebor Party believe in making life tough for everyone but the wealthy I can see why leftards would not see the sheer elegance of a fair go for everyone.

Balls...the coalition don't believe in fairness!

Have the coalition dropped their pro-Nuclear stance yet and what is the rationale behind them not dropping it?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #58 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 8:45pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Dec 17th, 2007 at 1:49pm:
deepthought wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:14pm:

Balls...the coalition don't believe in fairness!

Have the coalition dropped their pro-Nuclear stance yet and what is the rationale behind them not dropping it?

Well under their amazing WorkChoices policy unemployment is at a 40 year low.  I don't know of anything better for Xmas than jobs for all.

I certainly hope the Libs haven't dropped their green policies.  They are opposed to greenhouse gas.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:45pm

DRAH would prefer that the world suffers under the strain of continual emittance of GHG rather than containment of energy pollution

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print