Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Coalition condoned torture (Read 15172 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Coalition condoned torture
Dec 1st, 2007 at 2:32pm

Documents show PM knew of Habib torture

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/documents-show-pm-knew-of-habib-torture/2007/11/30/1196394618347.html

Declassified documents have revealed former prime minister John Howard and other senior politicians knew in 2002 of Mamdouh Habib's claims he was tortured in Egypt.

The former Guantanamo Bay detainee, who was arrested in Pakistan on terrorism suspicions in October 2001, is suing Nationwide News for defamation over an article which implied he made false claims about torture.

A government team visited Guantanamo Bay in May 2002 spent 12 hours with Mr Habib and 15 hours with fellow Australian detainee David Hicks.

Detainees were permitted only one shower a week and two exercise sessions of 15 minutes each, and were only chained to the floor in the interrogation room, the report said.

Their cells were lit 24 hours a day.

The report also details Mr Habib's allegations of torture in Egypt, where he said he was held for six months.

"He said he was tortured, water was dripped on his head and he was administered electric shocks over his body.

"Mr Habib said he was trussed upside down and his body beaten," the report said.

"He said he sustained broken ribs, two broken toes and bleeding from his penis."

"The captors made him listen to noises that resembled ... his wife being raped and his children beaten. He said he was placed neck-high in water for extended periods of time and not allowed to sleep.

"After about six months the torture stopped after a doctor told his captors that he would die."

He alleges he was interviewed by, or in the presence of, Australians under such conditions, a claim that forms the foundation for his compensation case against the government in the Federal Court.

The outcome of the defamation proceedings, and any evidence presented there, is likely to bear significantly on his compensation bid.

Habib also has said he was blindfolded and gagged before being drugged and put on a flight through Pakistan and Afghanistan to Cuba.

The welfare report makes urgent recommendations about public presentation of the team's findings, the first section of which is blacked out.

It also says consideration ought to be given to the "intelligence value" of letters from the detainees to their families.

"We imagine that their families might release the letter to the media," it said.

"You should note that a number of statements made by the detainees in the letters are not consistent with their comments during the interviews and we might need to be prepared to correct them publicly."

In court, two ASIO agents, codenamed Officer 2 and 3, gave evidence via videolink.

The video screens were turned so only the judge and legal counsel could see the officers' faces, and the Australian Government Solicitor was on hand to object to questions on national security grounds.

Officer 2 interviewed Mr Habib at Bankstown Mall as part of a 2000 intelligence brief, said he offered a "rare insight" into a certain mindset.

Wearing a combination of army camouflage gear and black clothing to the meeting, Mr Habib said Osama bin Laden was a "great leader."

"(Mr Habib said bin Laden) was defending the Muslim people from external aggression and he was in the heart of all Muslims," the officer said.

"He expressed views in support of and justifying what we would define as terrorist attacks."

He also assured him that Australia had "nothing to fear" from bin Laden ahead of the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

He praised the bombings of US embassies in East Africa, which he described as "justified acts of self-defence", and insisted the 1993 World Trade Centre bombers were innocent.

Officer 3 said Mr Habib admitted knowing convicted World Trade Centre conspirators Ibrahim Elgabrowny and Mahmoud Abouhalima from Egypt, and said they had been framed by the Jews, who hit the centre as an "insurance job".

Under cross-examination by Mr Habib's lawyer Clive Evatt, both ASIO officers agreed they would never interview someone who was under the influence of drugs, or who had their hands shackled to the floor.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Coalition condoned torture
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:34pm

Why do you always misrepresent the facts?

Your heading says the "Coalition condoned torture", and you have copied a headline which says "Documents show PM knew of Habib torture".

Yet the very first sentence contradicts you.  It says "Declassified documents have revealed former prime minister John Howard and other senior politicians knew in 2002 of Mamdouh Habib's claims he was tortured in Egypt".

Now I don't know how good your comprehension is but it's pretty clear to an English speaker that to know of a person's claims is quite different to knowing any events actually took place.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:47pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:55pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:34pm:
Why do you always misrepresent the facts?

Your heading says the "Coalition condoned torture", and you have copied a headline which says "Documents show PM knew of Habib torture".

Yet the very first sentence contradicts you.  It says "Declassified documents have revealed former prime minister John Howard and other senior politicians knew in 2002 of Mamdouh Habib's claims he was tortured in Egypt".

Now I don't know how good your comprehension is but it's pretty clear to an English speaker that to know of a person's claims is quite different to knowing any events actually took place.

Sounds like you suffer from Howarditis Apolagentis DT! Wink

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:39pm

He did nothing to stop it, even though he was an Australian citizen and Howard had the authority to bring him home. That is condoning it.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 9:13pm

freediver wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:39pm:
He did nothing to stop it, even though he was an Australian citizen and Howard had the authority to bring him home. That is condoning it.

It is only condoning it if it is true.  As the article says, and you misrepresented it, Howard ony knew of Habib's claims.  Any fool can claim anything but it does not make it truth unless you are gullible.

And if I recall correctly Habib was in a cell in Gitmo, an institution in Cuba.  Would you like to take a bet that John Howard had any authority or jurisdiction at all?  I'm up for it.  How much are you willing to stake on your erroneous belief?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:42am

All he had to do was ask Bush and he would have gotten him out. Other governments did - the ones who were concerned about the welfare of their own citizens.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 1:55pm

habib was a terrorist/traitor, he warrants no protection or interest

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 2:03pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:42am:
All he had to do was ask Bush and he would have gotten him out. Other governments did - the ones who were concerned about the welfare of their own citizens.

So as you have made no comment about John Howard's knowledge of Habib's claims only rather than any knowledge of any actual events I assume you are conceding you are wrong in your baseless claim he condoned torture?

And a request to have someone returned to Australia from captivity elsewhere is not 'authority' is it.  Do you acknowledge you are wrong to believe that John Howard had any authority over what the US does at all?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:09pm

You are correct DT.  Hayseed knew of the claims.  What did he do to GENUINELY ascertain whether there was any truth to the claims?

After all, it is a given that Americans did torture Iraqis, and that being so would give extra incentive for our PM to make a thorough, and relentless investigation to establish one way or another, whether Habib's claims of similar torture, were true.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:09pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:09pm:
You are correct DT.  Hayseed knew of the claims.  What did he do to GENUINELY ascertain whether there was any truth to the claims?

After all, it is a given that Americans did torture Iraqis, and that being so would give extra incentive for our PM to make a thorough, and relentless investigation to establish one way or another, whether Habib's claims of similar torture, were true.

He asked me Aussie, and I assured him there was no truth to the silly claims.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:24pm

Oh, sorry, I did not know that.

Undecided

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:27pm

from crikey:

That’s particularly significant given that former CIA officers have said Habib’s rendition could not have taken place without Australian complicity. Jack Cloonan, a former agent from the Bin Laden Unit, explained to the ABC in June: "It's impossible for me to believe that the Australian Government did not know that the Pakistani Government -- maybe at the urging of the United States and others -- didn't know that one of their citizens was being rendered to a third country. I can’t imagine under what circumstance the ASIO representative in Islamabad didn't know what was going on."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/11/1948035.htm?source=cmailer

Obviously, ASIO understood the reason why the US liked to transport prisoners to Egypt. So our spy agency seems to have agreed to hand a man over for torture -- even though they didn’t have any evidence against him.

If that’s not mind boggling enough, consider some of the other testimony from the case.

Apparently, an ASIO agent (known only as "Officer 1") did, in fact, visit Habib during his detention in Pakistan. He noted the curious fact that, during a break in questioning, Habib couldn’t walk unaided. Yet the prisoner’s mysterious incapacity didn’t seem to have bothered our man in Islamabad, since he flatly declined Habib’s repeated requests to talk privately away from his gaolers. Nor did he find out whether Habib had been given a phone call or understood his rights to refuse questioning.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:09pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 1:55pm:

DT is playing the game of semantics. He is exonerating anyone of any alledged torture based on the wording "claims" on the report.

And yet, despite the US govt releasing him in Jan 2005 due to a lack of evidence that would hold up (even) in their secret military kangaroo courts (where the odds are stacked against the defendant) you brand him as a terrorist and a traitor.

You can't have it both ways.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 6:29pm

Acid Monkey wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:09pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 1:55pm:

DT is playing the game of semantics. He is exonerating anyone of any alledged torture based on the wording "claims" on the report.

And yet, despite the US govt releasing him in Jan 2005 due to a lack of evidence that would hold up (even) in their secret military kangaroo courts (where the odds are stacked against the defendant) you brand him as a terrorist and a traitor.

You can't have it both ways.

It is not semantic to state that 'claim' means 'claim'.  And claim means exactly that - an assertion of truth.  But it is not truth without evidence.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:38pm

So when an Asio agent observes that he is incapable of walking, that isn't evidence?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:02pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:38pm:
So when an Asio agent observes that he is incapable of walking, that isn't evidence?

Where may I find this observation?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:08pm

fd - he was incapable of walking ??

prob cause he was so full of roast pork from dinner .
The dirty filthy traitor, I'ld have him casterated by oceans teeth.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 6:41pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:02pm:

Freediver?  The link?  You said yourself that it is common courtesy to provide a link.  Let's be having it.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:15pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 6:41pm:

Freediver?  The link?  You said yourself that it is common courtesy to provide a link.  Let's be having it.

Bump for free.  You gave me quite a lecture on the lack of courtesy in not providing links.  I assume this has slipped your mind.  Please oblige.  I hope it's not like the wind power claim where you dodged providing that link through a half a dozen polite requests.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #19 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:59am

deepthought wrote on Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:15pm:

Freediver?  The link?  You said yourself that it is common courtesy to provide a link.  Let's be having it.

Bump for free.  You gave me quite a lecture on the lack of courtesy in not providing links.  I assume this has slipped your mind.  Please oblige.  I hope it's not like the wind power claim where you dodged providing that link through a half a dozen polite requests.

Um freediver?  Where is your courtesy?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #20 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:35am

deepthought wrote on Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:59am:

Bump for free.  You gave me quite a lecture on the lack of courtesy in not providing links.  I assume this has slipped your mind.  Please oblige.  I hope it's not like the wind power claim where you dodged providing that link through a half a dozen polite requests.

Um freediver?  Where is your courtesy?

I guess it's reasonable to assume you are lying freediver.  Four days after politely requesting a link to this revelation you have discourteously ignored it. 

Have you lied about this claim?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #21 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 12:39pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:35am:
deepthought wrote on Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:59am:

Um freediver?  Where is your courtesy?

I guess it's reasonable to assume you are lying freediver.  Four days after politely requesting a link to this revelation you have discourteously ignored it.  

Have you lied about this claim?

I dont think you are getting a link DT.. Sad

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #22 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 12:56pm

Quote:
I dont think you are getting a link DT.. Sad

I think you are right oceans.  I thought freediver was a man of integrity but I was wrong.    Cry

It appears he may just lie about his claims and then completely ignore polite requests to support them.  He will make a good left wing politician when he starts his Sustainability Party.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #23 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 1:05pm

Quote:
He will make a good left wing politician when he starts his Sustainability Party.

Well that particular trait [lying]is not confined to one side of politics..

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 4:26pm

I'd personally like to see FD come back in here and apologise for being wrong and posting misleading titles...can't see it happening though with someone who refuses to open their other eye.

Just goes to show how leftist leaning the so called head of the 'sustainability party' is. Why bother starting your own party when you could have just joined the Greens?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 7:10pm

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. It is the weekend and he probably doesn't have time to reply at this point in time.

Wait till he gets back to work in his govt or uni funded place of employment so he can do it on the clock.
Cheesy

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #26 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 7:26pm

Cheesy

True - it has only been four days.  Perhaps we are hurrying him.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #27 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 8:26pm

deepthought wrote on Dec 9th, 2007 at 7:26pm:
Cheesy

True - it has only been four days.  Perhaps we are hurrying him.  

I think he,s out on the river catching Groper..tropical shower came down and shrunk his hat and gave him brain cramp.

Youll have to wait until mum comes back to camp to yank it offa his head..that will free his brain up . ThEN I think you ll get a link.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:04pm

Or, more likely, he has decided that the preferred option is to ignore DT.

Many have before.

Wink

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:11pm

Many have before.

So he should just fade away and join the ranks of those who have been proven to be wrong or liars because they cannot back up their arguments?

That's kewl. I take a non-response to pertinent questions as an admission of 'I have no idea what I'm arguing about'

So be it.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #30 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:12pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 9th, 2007 at 9:04pm:
Or, more likely, he has decided that the preferred option is to ignore DT.

Many have before.

Wink

Thank God you're here Aussie.  You're just in time to see the unravelling of freediver.  I have only just discovered why he is ignoring this - because he knows if he was to reveal the truth we would see he is bulltesticulatingly crapsmacking.

I just discovered this article.

Quote:
Habib kidnap claim a cover, court told

A CLAIM by former Guantanamo Bay detainee Mamdouh Habib that he was kidnapped and beaten in Pakistan was merely a bid to cover up the true nature of his activities, an ASIO agent has told a Sydney court.

But the officer denied leaving Mr Habib to the "mercy of the Pakistanis", saying his "entirely unco-operative and unresponsive" actions left him no choice.

Mr Habib is taking defamation action against Nationwide News (owned by the parent company of the publisher of News.com.au).

Justice Peter McClellan is hearing evidence on defences and damages in Mr Habib's case after a jury found an opinion piece in The Daily Telegraph by columnist Piers Akerman defamed Mr Habib by implying he made false claims.

Officer 1, whose identity is protected, interviewed Mr Habib in Pakistan three times in the weeks following his arrest, in the company of an Australian Federal Police (AFP) officer and two US officials.

He told the NSW Supreme Court today that Mr Habib required help to walk after taking a break during two of the October 2001 interviews.

But the officer put it down to mental suffering rather than any physical maltreatment at the hands of Mr Habib's Pakistani guards.

"It appeared to be more a case of ... he was emotionally upset, as if he were in mild shock or something or other, rather than having suffered some particular injury," the officer said.

He denied the interview was "oppressive" or that he "remonstrated with" or "threatened" Mr Habib with leaving him if he refused to co-operate.

"In my capacity ... there was no point pursuing that (security) interest if he was not going to answer questions," the officer said.

"You were prepared to leave him at the mercy of the Pakistanis, is that right?" asked Mr Habib's barrister Clive Evatt.

"No, there's an implication in that that I don't agree with, that it was some sort of calculated disposal of him of some kind or another. It wasn't."

The officer denied being present when Mr Habib was taken to the airport for transport to Egypt, where he alleges he was tortured for seven months before being transferred to Guantanamo Bay.

The officer agreed that were he present, he would have intervened in any violent act, and it would have been the obligation of any other Australian official in such a situation to do the same.

The officer was sceptical about Mr Habib's claims he was kidnapped and robbed by Pakistani officials and detained and beaten for more than a week before his formal arrest.

"I believed, and it remains my view, that it was an invention to try and (explain) time which he didn't otherwise wish to account for," the officer said.

freediver knew all along he was bullgonadding

freediver lied - the article proves it and that is why he has ignored my polite requests in a most discourteous way.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 6:54pm

It says in the original post where it is from. If I had a URL I would have given it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Diplomats deny seeing Habib in Pakistan
Reply #32 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:25pm

http://news.smh.com.au/diplomats-deny-seeing-habib-in-pakistan/20080131-1p9x.html

Senior diplomats in Pakistan at the time of Mamdouh Habib's arrest deny they saw him in Islamabad and deny any interview at the Australian High Commission.

Consul Alastar Adams and Head of Mission Howard Brown were called on Thursday as witnesses in a preliminary hearing of Mr Habib's compensation claim against the commonwealth.

The former Guantanamo Bay detainee is seeking damages from the federal government, claiming Australian officials were present when he was interrogated and tortured in Pakistan.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Diplomats deny seeing Habib in Pakistan
Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:27pm

freediver wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:25pm:
http://news.smh.com.au/diplomats-deny-seeing-habib-in-pakistan/20080131-1p9x.html

Senior diplomats in Pakistan at the time of Mamdouh Habib's arrest deny they saw him in Islamabad and deny any interview at the Australian High Commission.

Consul Alastar Adams and Head of Mission Howard Brown were called on Thursday as witnesses in a preliminary hearing of Mr Habib's compensation claim against the commonwealth.

The former Guantanamo Bay detainee is seeking damages from the federal government, claiming Australian officials were present when he was interrogated and tortured in Pakistan.

You reckon the coalition condoned it and now you say no one saw anything?  What's happening freediver?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia 'knew' Habib could go to Egypt
Reply #34 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 7:23pm

http://news.smh.com.au/australia-knew-habib-could-go-to-egypt/20080201-1pj9.html

The first Australian official to gain access to former terror suspect Mamdouh Habib after his arrest in Pakistan says his transfer to Egypt was a known possibility from the outset.

And the ASIO officer, known by the pseudonym Paul Stokes, has told the Federal Court that American authorities tipped Pakistan off to Mr Habib's activities, prompting his arrest.

Mr Stokes claims he interviewed Mr Habib in Islamabad on three occasions in October 2001 following his arrest.

He is the first official to testify that Australians knew of Mr Habib's movement to Egypt prior to it occurring.

Mr Habib claims Australia had prior knowledge he was going to be transferred there from Pakistan and did nothing to intervene, and that his subsequent torture by the Egyptians meant Australia had failed in its duty of care.

Before this, the government has consistently denied all knowledge of his transfer until after the event.

Mr Stokes also contradicted consular assertions that diplomatic efforts failed to gain access to Mr Habib, saying it was achieved via a combination of both diplomatic and security channels.

The ASIO operative said he was instructed to gain access to Mr Habib and "inquire about his activities and his purpose in his travel".

He was escorted to two of the interviews by American officials, and they also took part in questioning Mr Habib, Mr Stokes said.

American intelligence had in fact prompted Mr Habib's arrest, he said.

"I wasn't told that he had been arrested by US officers, but I was aware that information leading to his detention may have been provided by them," Mr Stokes said.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #35 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:54am

No doubt if this is proved in Court, we will be up for massive compensation payouts to victims.  There are many people who suffered injustices under the Howard government and they will all be asking for money, particularly in regard to coverups in immigration and terrorism.

We have got a government now who says they will argue for human rights, and this is the price we will have to pay to unravel the damage caused by the former government.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #36 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:11am

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:54am:
No doubt if this is proved in Court, we will be up for massive compensation payouts to victims.  There are many people who suffered injustices under the Howard government and they will all be asking for money, particularly in regard to coverups in immigration and terrorism.

We have got a government now who says they will argue for human rights, and this is the price we will have to pay to unravel the damage caused by the former government.

Really?  Name some of them that were directly caused by John Howard's governance.  Just ten people out of the 'many' you claim suffered injustices will be fine, don't trouble yourself to list all the 'injustices'.

I doubt you can produce even one for whom John Howard was directly responsible.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:29am

You just love twisting words, don't you. 

This:

Quote:
There are many people who suffered injustices under the Howard government and they will all be asking for money, particularly in regard to coverups in immigration and terrorism.

does not equal this:

Quote:
........John Howard was directly responsible.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #38 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 11:31am

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:29am:
You just love twisting words, don't you.  

This:

Quote:
There are many people who suffered injustices under the Howard government and they will all be asking for money, particularly in regard to coverups in immigration and terrorism.

does not equal this:

Quote:
........John Howard was directly responsible.

Then who is alleged to be responsible if not John Howard whose name was specifically mentioned my old chum?  And if it does not imply that John Howard is responsible why was his name uttered?

I need answers to your spurious claim of word twisting.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 12:57pm

Is "John Howard" = to "The Howard Government?"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #40 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 1:17pm

Quote:

Poor little Johnny!  No he was completely blameless for any of his government's misdemeanours of course.  Well that's what he always told us.  No - in this instance we have to blame his incompetent cabinet.  Ruddock at the time created a xenophobic culture in the immigration department and Andrews that weak apostle created the fear of militant muslims disguised as doctors infiltrating our hospital system.  We mustn't forget Georgie Bush either - he lied to our Johnny about fake WMD's and he in turn unwittingly lied to us.

Honest Johnny can walk away squeaky clean - his hands aren't soiled, although the same can't be said for the low moral characters who worked for his government.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #41 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 2:57pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 12:57pm:
Is "John Howard" = to "The Howard Government?"

So you agree that John Howard's name should not have been used in this context?

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 1:17pm:
Quote:

Poor little Johnny!  No he was completely blameless for any of his government's misdemeanours of course.  Well that's what he always told us.  No - in this instance we have to blame his incompetent cabinet.  Ruddock at the time created a xenophobic culture in the immigration department and Andrews that weak apostle created the fear of militant muslims disguised as doctors infiltrating our hospital system.  We mustn't forget Georgie Bush either - he lied to our Johnny about fake WMD's and he in turn unwittingly lied to us.

Honest Johnny can walk away squeaky clean - his hands aren't soiled, although the same can't be said for the low moral characters who worked for his government.

And the list of the many people who suffered "injustices"?  I'm afraid an allegation of someone doing something without any attempt to support the allegation seems like bitterness about something to me.  Back yourself, stop making empty claims.  Give us substance.

Just saying that something occurred does not make it so.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 3:21pm

The Howard Gvernment tried to pretend that there was no stolen generation, and aggressively resisted any "Sorry."  What say ye about the Libs about face on that?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #43 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 4:21pm

Deepthought - obviously you haven't been keeping up to date politically with the problematic Howard cabinet, or maybe it's because  like all Howard huggers, you are blind to the failings of the now defunct coalition.  

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:18pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #44 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 5:20pm

I'll revisit here another time.  Pity -  Ozpolitics was just starting to pick up again in your absence with some interesting comments from other posters.  
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:19pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:21pm

Nice edit to take out your personal attacks Mantra  Roll Eyes

More obfuscation from you. How...predictable  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #46 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:25pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 3:21pm:
The Howard Gvernment tried to pretend that there was no stolen generation, and aggressively resisted any "Sorry."  What say ye about the Libs about face on that?

How is not saying sorry for something you did not do an injustice?   However John Howard did express his regret that such a situation ever occurred, he actually acknowledged past injustices so I have no idea why you make the false claim he "tried to pretend that there was no stolen generation".  He said

Quote:
I think it is an expression of a desire of all Australians to go forward, not to forget or ignore or fail to express sorrow or regret for the pain of the past. It is impossible to understand the difficulty and the reality of today and to move forward effectively without understanding and acknowledging the pain that was inflicted by the injustices of the past. And it is not possible, it is not possible for any of us, for any of us to reflect upon the desirability of moving forward without acknowledging the impact that European civilisation had on the indigenous people of this country and the cultures of the indigenous people.

He has nothing to say sorry for - he did nothing wrong.

Like I said to mantra saying it is so does not make it so - especially when I know you are wrong with your baseless hatred.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #47 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:26pm

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 4:21pm:
Deepthought - obviously you haven't been keeping up to date politically with the problematic Howard cabinet, or maybe it's because  like all Howard huggers, you are blind to the failings of the now defunct coalition.  

Why not list all those injustices though mantra?  I am well aware of political happenings which is why I am so puzzled that you make such false allegations of injustices.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #48 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:44pm

DT - the list would take forever.  What would be quicker is for you to list the justices of the Howard government.   

Just briefly - the compensation is going to be a worry, because along with Vivien Solon and Cornelia Rau, there are another 200 or so Australians who were illegally detained in immigration detention centres.  No doubt they will have a case to plea.

We have the case of Haneef - used as a political pawn just prior to an election.  The ramifications will be huge as no doubt he will seek compensation for lost wages and slander.

I have no sympathy for Hicks and Habib, but it appears Habib might have a case for compensation if he has an ASIO agent confirming his rendition to Egypt.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #49 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:21pm

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:44pm:
DT - the list would take forever.  What would be quicker is for you to list the justices of the Howard government.  

Just briefly - the compensation is going to be a worry, because along with Vivien Solon and Cornelia Rau, there are another 200 or so Australians who were illegally detained in immigration detention centres.  No doubt they will have a case to plea.

We have the case of Haneef - used as a political pawn just prior to an election.  The ramifications will be huge as no doubt he will seek compensation for lost wages and slander.

I have no sympathy for Hicks and Habib, but it appears Habib might have a case for compensation if he has an ASIO agent confirming his rendition to Egypt.

It ain't up to me to list the justices, you're the one making the baseless claims about injustices.  So let's look at the examples you give.

It seems we have two women who gave inadequate, insufficient or downright deceptive information to the immigration department who acted according to that information and (wrongly it transpired) deported them.  Both the examples you give had peculiar beginnings with Vivien Solon apparently found seriously injured claiming she was Vivien Alvarez and was here on a spousal visa.  Cornelia Rau, similarly, claimed she was a tourist from Munich and her name was both Anna Brotmeyer and Anna Schmidt.

What are immigration officials to do?  Disbelieve everyone and investigate them?  There are thousands of visa overstayers in Australia, how big do you want the public service to be?  And your chums, the Liebor Party are reducing services so it can only worsen.

Incidentally mandatory detention was a legislative act of your mates - the Liebor Party.  In detaining people the former coalition government was simply following the law created by its predecessors.

And both Habib and Hicks were arrested overseas - this is not Australian jurisdiction.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:36pm

How dare you bring facts into this witch hunt DT!

The faithful left will send out a posse to hunt you down for exposing facts which dispute their malicious lies and heartstring tugging balderdash that they have relied on so resiliently with the help of a leftist media.

It would seem that a percentage of the population have had it so good for so long that they are imperceptible to facts vs guilt ridden rhetoric.

Mantra is a prime example

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 8:37pm

Quote:
It seems we have two women who gave inadequate, insufficient or downright deceptive information to the immigration department who acted according to that information and (wrongly it transpired) deported them.  Both the examples you give had peculiar beginnings with Vivien Solon apparently found seriously injured claiming she was Vivien Alvarez and was here on a spousal visa.  Cornelia Rau, similarly, claimed she was a tourist from Munich and her name was both Anna Brotmeyer and Anna Schmidt

Yet, your Tin God, hayseed, apologised in both cases.  Why would he do that, unless his Government's stooges buggered up?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #52 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:10pm

The fact is - no matter what the Howard lovers say - Ministers in the Liberal Party condoned torture - mental and physical.  We only have to look back at the torture inflicted on POW's at Abu Grahib by US soldiers.  At the time - I think it was Mike Kelly (not sure) brought this information to the attention of the then defence minister Robert Hill who was too gutless to make this information public.  Howard at the time of course wouldn't have known anything about it because according to him, no-one told him anything.

Our government had an ethical duty to inform the US that this torture was unacceptable and not in accordance with the Geneva Conventions - but instead they turned a blind eye, until it reached the media.  Then they played dumb.

Solon and Rau may have been mentally incapacitated, but nonetheless they were treated as sub-human and the procedures of deportation and incarceration were illegal even under the coalition.  There have been plenty of others locked up in immigration detention centres who have stories of abuse and neglect and this is where the Rudd government will be forced to pay millions in compensation over the next few years to the victims.

Penance for the Howard years will be a heavy toll on future budgets.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:19pm

Hey DT, what is Amanda raving on about here:

Quote:
Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone has pithily summed up Ms Alvarez Solon's history: "There's a woman who was clearly in need of help and who through, I think it's fair to say, no fault of her own ended up in an immigration detention facility and clearly didn't have the capacity to explain to people who she was. And that is a tragic situation."

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:32pm

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:10pm:
The fact is - no matter what the Howard lovers say - Ministers in the Liberal Party condoned torture - mental and physical.  We only have to look back at the torture inflicted on POW's at Abu Grahib by US soldiers.  At the time - I think it was Mike Kelly (not sure) brought this information to the attention of the then defence minister Robert Hill who was too gutless to make this information public.  Howard at the time of course wouldn't have known anything about it because according to him, no-one told him anything.

Our government had an ethical duty to inform the US that this torture was unacceptable and not in accordance with the Geneva Conventions - but instead they turned a blind eye, until it reached the media.  Then they played dumb.

Fact are something you have shown you are not familiar with Mantra. In the words of your little bum buddy Aussie below...where's the proof that ministers had knowledge? A 'not sure' doesn't cut it and is just proof of another of your lies.

Quote:
Solon and Rau may have been mentally incapacitated, but nonetheless they were treated as sub-human and the procedures of deportation and incarceration were illegal even under the coalition.  There have been plenty of others locked up in immigration detention centres who have stories of abuse and neglect and this is where the Rudd government will be forced to pay millions in compensation over the next few years to the victims.

Only because you litigious left wing nuts who insist on 'someone to blame' for everything while insisting on refusing personal responsibility. Thanks for bringing the main downfall of US society, the one that you despise soooo much with your venomous bile to Australian shores...US style litigation.

You morons only have yourselves to blame

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:49pm

For what?

Answer in real, established terms, not your dream time poo.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:52pm

where's the proof that ministers had knowledge?

I'll be waiting for your answer first Commie

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #57 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:58pm

I just had to delete a couple of posts from here. There is no need to make this personal.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:04pm

Quote:
Only because you litigious left wing nuts who insist on 'someone to blame' for everything while insisting on refusing personal responsibility. Thanks for bringing the main downfall of US society, the one that you despise soooo much with your venomous bile to Australian shores...US style litigation.

You morons only have yourselves to blame

I have no idea how you can credibly introduce the USA, it's alleged downfall etc etc etc into this Debate.

So, in the Australian context, what do the morons have to blame themselves for?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:11pm

Someone walks into the authorities and tells them a fictious name and details, makes out that she's a foreigner with no visa - straight away you lefties are calling for millions of dollars worth of compo for her lying to the authorities.

It's not surprising- lefties are always after taxpayers dollars for doing nothing- a case like this furthers your cause.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:16pm

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:10pm:
The fact is - no matter what the Howard lovers say - Ministers in the Liberal Party condoned torture - mental and physical.  We only have to look back at the torture inflicted on POW's at Abu Grahib by US soldiers.  At the time - I think it was Mike Kelly (not sure) brought this information to the attention of the then defence minister Robert Hill who was too gutless to make this information public.  Howard at the time of course wouldn't have known anything about it because according to him, no-one told him anything.

Our government had an ethical duty to inform the US that this torture was unacceptable and not in accordance with the Geneva Conventions - but instead they turned a blind eye, until it reached the media.  Then they played dumb.

Solon and Rau may have been mentally incapacitated, but nonetheless they were treated as sub-human and the procedures of deportation and incarceration were illegal even under the coalition.  There have been plenty of others locked up in immigration detention centres who have stories of abuse and neglect and this is where the Rudd government will be forced to pay millions in compensation over the next few years to the victims.

Penance for the Howard years will be a heavy toll on future budgets.

Unless something has happened I am not aware of Abu Ghraib is not in Australia and US soldiers do not report to anyone here that I am aware of.  Are you suggesting that incidences of alleged torture taking place in foreign climes by non-Australians is somehow the fault of the incumbent government.  In which case Kevin Rudd's government has some explaining to do considering there are fresh allegations of torture in Afghanistan.  How do you feel about that charge levelled against Little Kevvy?  You will be aghast no doubt that he could have been involved in such injustices.

If the Rudd government start compensating people who were legally detained then the mushrooms really will be paying a heavy price for electing Little Kevvy.  I voted Liberal.

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:19pm:
Hey DT, what is Amanda raving on about here:

Quote:
Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone has pithily summed up Ms Alvarez Solon's history: "There's a woman who was clearly in need of help and who through, I think it's fair to say, no fault of her own ended up in an immigration detention facility and clearly didn't have the capacity to explain to people who she was. And that is a tragic situation."

It appears she is raving about the truth my friend.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:56pm

Well, if according to Amanda, they ended up in detention etc etc etc through no fault of their own, it leaves only one alternative.

DT.....this is a pointless and redundant debate.  The people have spoken..............kid's overboard, the pacific solution, these two ladies, hicks, haneef.........................and on and on and on.

Hayseed, and his Government was shown the door, and not one respected political historian has yet anointed hayseed as Australia's greatest PM (as you proclaimed him to be) since he had to pack his bags and bugger off.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 11:06pm

The people have spoken..............kid's overboard, the pacific solution, these two ladies, hicks, haneef.........................and on and on and on.

Exactly.

Lefty whiny problems caused by people who have no self accountability, propped up by those that agree that self accountability is now a redundant proposition.

I wish I was like you Aussie...life would be so much easier if I could rely on blaming others for lack of brain cells. Obviously this govt knows where the vote lies and how easy it is to sell to those of similar disposition

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #63 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 6:49am

Quote:
Are you suggesting that incidences of alleged torture taking place in foreign climes by non-Australians is somehow the fault of the incumbent government.  In which case Kevin Rudd's government has some explaining to do considering there are fresh allegations of torture in Afghanistan.  How do you feel about that charge levelled against Little Kevvy?  You will be aghast no doubt that he could have been involved in such injustices

I am no great fan of Rudd - DT, although he can be likened to the Messiah in comparison to Howard.  I wasn't aware of fresh allegations of torture in Afghanistan, but if this is the case, Rudd has a legal and moral duty to demand Bush ban all forms of abuse during interrogation in Afghanistan and Iraq and anywhere else the US holds people in custody as it only leads to further atrocities and of course increased retribution.  Howard didn't have the guts, but as Australia is a member of the "Coalition of the Willing", we have a responsibility to uphold the following laws and ensure our partners do the same.

I. International Humanitarian Law and the Geneva Conventions 
II. Human Rights Law 

The US also have their own human rights laws, which they appear to ignore.

Rudd has only been in government for a couple of months.  I believe he will protest to the US government in relation to these torture allegations, but we may not hear about it immediately due to diplomatic relations.

In regard to other forms of torture condoned by the previous government - these can be said to be irrelevant by some and on a different level, but the coalition revived the defunct live animal export trade during their time in power and has stood by mutely while the Japanese have slaughtered our whales.  The Rudd government has made a small positive step in the right direction by using surveillance to gather evidence for the next moratorium, but one small step is better than nothing.

As the confidence of this new government grows, we can hope to see focus once again on human rights and humanity in general.  Basic human decency was swept under the carpet during Howard's reign and many of us are looking forward to its revival.

It is obvious deepthought that you voted Liberal.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #64 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:51am

Aussie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:56pm:
Well, if according to Amanda, they ended up in detention etc etc etc through no fault of their own, it leaves only one alternative.

DT.....this is a pointless and redundant debate.  The people have spoken..............kid's overboard, the pacific solution, these two ladies, hicks, haneef.........................and on and on and on.

Hayseed, and his Government was shown the door, and not one respected political historian has yet anointed hayseed as Australia's greatest PM (as you proclaimed him to be) since he had to pack his bags and bugger off.

As explained elsewhere both these women had medical issues which rendered them incapable of making informed or coherent decisions or judgements.   This is the issue, not the actions of the immigration department which acted with the information they had at the time.

Amanda Vanstone is telling the truth when she says it is a regrettable situation which occurred due to the mental state of the woman concerned.  She can not be responsible for her mental incapacity - hence it is no fault of her own.   You are not seeing the complete picture my fiend.

And it is not pointless or redundant to refute the allegation that 'John Howard's government' is somehow responsible for an injustice, when a woman has a mental incapacity and a terrible situation develops.  This is the fault of no one.

Yes many people voted Liebor.   But as I love Australia I voted Liberal.  I don't enjoy the cutting back of public services, the reduction of university places, the rises in interest rates without prior Reserve Bank action, the rise in part time jobs and the growing threat of union action and wage blow outs.

Who does?  You Aussie?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #65 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 8:21am

mantra wrote on Feb 3rd, 2008 at 6:49am:
I am no great fan of Rudd - DT, although he can be likened to the Messiah in comparison to Howard.  I wasn't aware of fresh allegations of torture in Afghanistan, but if this is the case, Rudd has a legal and moral duty to demand Bush ban all forms of abuse during interrogation in Afghanistan and Iraq and anywhere else the US holds people in custody as it only leads to further atrocities and of course increased retribution.  Howard didn't have the guts, but as Australia is a member of the "Coalition of the Willing", we have a responsibility to uphold the following laws and ensure our partners do the same.

I. International Humanitarian Law and the Geneva Conventions  
II. Human Rights Law  

The US also have their own human rights laws, which they appear to ignore.

Rudd has only been in government for a couple of months.  I believe he will protest to the US government in relation to these torture allegations, but we may not hear about it immediately due to diplomatic relations.

In regard to other forms of torture condoned by the previous government - these can be said to be irrelevant by some and on a different level, but the coalition revived the defunct live animal export trade during their time in power and has stood by mutely while the Japanese have slaughtered our whales.  The Rudd government has made a small positive step in the right direction by using surveillance to gather evidence for the next moratorium, but one small step is better than nothing.

As the confidence of this new government grows, we can hope to see focus once again on human rights and humanity in general.  Basic human decency was swept under the carpet during Howard's reign and many of us are looking forward to its revival.

It is obvious deepthought that you voted Liberal.

Yes I did vote Liberal because I care about people.  In Australia Liebor has a terrible record of treating the plebs like fodder for the enrichment of their own and of corporate Australia.  In fact they are happy to extoll that fact.

Kim Beazley boasted about their record of increasing company profits at the expense of ordinary Australians when he said in 2005

Quote:
The wage share of GDP came down from 60.1 per cent when we took office down to the lowest it had been since 1968. We left office with the wage share of GDP at 55.3 per cent. That allowed corporate profits to rise to record levels in 1984. For every year afterwards, the corporate profit share of GDP was higher than in any recorded year before we had come to office.

By the 1990s, the profit share of GDP was consistently around 23 per cent, a full 5 percentage points higher than when we took office. In other words, we basically slowed wage growth so that we could raise corporate profits by a whopping 5 percentage points of GDP.

Of course I don't care for that attitude towards working Australians.  Who would?  I vote Liberal because only the coalition cares about workers.

Allegations of torture are coming from all over the world - from Sudan, Egypt, Afghanistan, North Korea, China and Iraq.  I haven't heard Little Kevvy say a thing about it.   I guess you have an apology for that?  Too early for him to care yet?

You're wrong about Australia's actions with regard to whaling.  Australia has consistently led the way at the accords - I have posted that fact on here before.  What they did not do was incite illegal actions by pirates and threaten Japan with armed vessels so they had to go and back peddle alarmingly with their caps in their hands when visitng Japan.  They had some sense of international diplomacy and the rights of sovereign nations.

Liebor cares nothing for people.  If they cared they would not be driving the economy into reverse.  This will have a major impact on the well being of this country and its poor inhabitants.  If they cared they would not be promising to spend all the savings on a useless broadband cable, or on computers which will cost billions and will create nightmares for the education department budgets.  If they cared they would not be winding back public services which will become overstretched as the consequences of Liebor actions impact on those left behind.

Of course I voted Liberal.  Anyone who cares for their fellow Australians would.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:59am

Someone walks into the authorities and tells them a fictious name and details, makes out that she's a foreigner with no visa - straight away you lefties are calling for millions of dollars worth of compo for her lying to the authorities.

IQ, she is retarded. It is part of their duty of care not to let people like her fall through the cracks. You get crazy people confessing to crimes all the time. You don't see the police locking them up and slapping each other on the back for putting another bad guy away. They do their job. That means protecting the innocent - even the really stupid ones. Fair enough if you have to lock them up while you confirm their identity, but you don't just lock them up and let them rot.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #67 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 5:19pm

freediver wrote on Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:59am:

IQ, she is retarded. It is part of their duty of care not to let people like her fall through the cracks. You get crazy people confessing to crimes all the time. You don't see the police locking them up and slapping each other on the back for putting another bad guy away. They do their job. That means protecting the innocent - even the really stupid ones. Fair enough if you have to lock them up while you confirm their identity, but you don't just lock them up and let them rot.

There's a degree of difference to confessing to a crime and stating you are a visa overstayer.  Wouldn't you agree?  A crime needs to be solved whereas a visa overstayer just needs to be gone.  I'm surprised you did not know that.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:59pm

Whereas I am not surprised that you keep ignoring:

Quote:
IQ, she is retarded.

.....and Amanda's comments as above ^^^^^^ that indicate her mob of morons ought to have seen that.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #69 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 11:03pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:59pm:
Whereas I am not surprised that you keep ignoring:

Quote:
IQ, she is retarded.

.....and Amanda's comments as above ^^^^^^ that indicate her mob of morons ought to have seen that.

She had schizophrenia old son.  I don't class that as retarded.  It is an illness.  But unless amongst Amanda's 'mob of morons' there is a mind reader how can they know she is bulltesticulating when she says she is a tourist on a visa and her name is Anna Somephuqer?   Are immigration people to assume everyone is really a citizen with a fibbing disorder?

Just how does anyone know?  As I recollect it she was arrested and wound up in a hospital where no one amongst that mob of morons worked her out either.

I suspect you think immigration officials have super powers - somewhat akin to X Ray vision - for seeing through lies and arriving at the truth - despite the declarations of the 'retarded'.

Answer me this, how would they know they are right and the detainee wrong?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #70 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 5:06pm

There were hundreds of mistakes in the Immigration Department and they're still coming out of the woodwork.  When there was finally an investigation it was found that anyone in the department could make a decision - even the lowliest clerk.  I think Vanstone did something about it, but there should have been proper procedure followed right from the beginning when the coalition first gained power.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #71 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:11pm

mantra wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 5:06pm:
There were hundreds of mistakes in the Immigration Department and they're still coming out of the woodwork.  When there was finally an investigation it was found that anyone in the department could make a decision - even the lowliest clerk.  I think Vanstone did something about it, but there should have been proper procedure followed right from the beginning when the coalition first gained power.

Yes but the Howard Government launched an inquiry into the issue of Cornelia Rau and others in a humanitarian effort to improve the suituation.

This differs from Liebor who covered their catastrophes by introducing legislation to legitimise their heavy handed tactics with illegal immigrants.

I vote for the party who cares about correcting mistakes, not one who after a period of inappropriate actions towards immigrants hides behind legislation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:01pm

Quote:
This differs from Liebor who covered their catastrophes by introducing legislation to legitimise their heavy handed tactics with illegal immigrants.

You are a classic fraud DT.

The Rudd Labor Government has not even been convened into a Parliamentary sitting, and yet you, somehow have them introducing legislation.

Tongue

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #73 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:01pm:
Quote:

The Rudd Labor Government has not even been convened into a Parliamentary sitting, and yet you, somehow have them introducing legislation.

Tongue

Perhaps you are not aware that the Rudd government is not the only Liebor government this country has suffered under.   I was referring to the horror of the last one.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:41pm

Don't bother Aussie with facts and historical data- he is too busy goose stepping

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #75 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:43pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:41pm:
Don't bother Aussie with facts and historical data- he is too busy goose stepping

Cheesy

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:46pm

deepthought wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:35pm:
Quote:

Tongue

Perhaps you are not aware that the Rudd government is not the only Liebor government this country has suffered under.   I was referring to the horror of the last one.

Yes, I knew that DT, but I needed you to say it.  Unlike you DT, I don't live in the past.  Nothing will change that, and I prefer to accept that you are not hayseed, and that Rudd is not Keating.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #77 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:47pm

That wasn't even a good backpedal... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #78 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:46pm:
deepthought wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:35pm:
Quote:

Tongue

Perhaps you are not aware that the Rudd government is not the only Liebor government this country has suffered under.   I was referring to the horror of the last one.

Yes, I knew that DT, but I needed you to say it.  Unlike you DT, I don't live in the past.  Nothing will change that, and I prefer to accept that you are not hayseed, and that Rudd is not Keating.

Of course you did Aussie.  Of course you did.   Cheesy

But as you are not living in the past why do you keep mentioning it?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:59pm

I didn't.  You just agreed you did.

Quote:

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #80 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:59pm:
I didn't.  You just agreed you did.

Quote:
Perhaps you are not aware that the Rudd government is not the only Liebor government this country has suffered under.   I was referring to the horror of the last one.

Roll Eyes

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.   Bless you and RIP.

But you do keep rabbitting on about the previous government - that, I believe is in the past.  Is it not?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
legality of "waterboarding" now uncertain
Reply #81 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 12:09pm

CIA chief says legality of "waterboarding" now uncertain

http://news.smh.com.au/cia-chief-says-legality-of-waterboarding-now-uncertain/20080208-1qzv.html

The head of the CIA said Thursday it is uncertain whether the use of waterboarding, a form of simulated drowning widely condemned as torture, would be lawful if used today against Al-Qaeda detainees.

General Michael Hayden, the CIA director, said the legal landscape has changed since the technique was used nearly five years ago in interrogations of three top Al-Qaeda detainees.

"It's not a technique that I've asked for, it's not included in the current program," Hayden told members of the House Intelligence Committee.

"And in my own view, and the view of my lawyers and the Department of Justice, it is not certain that that technique would be considered lawful under current statute," he said.

Hayden's comments contradicted the White House which earlier this week defended the practice and said it could be used again in a situation where an attack was believed to be imminent.

Attorney General Michael Mukasy, meanwhile, said the Justice Department would not investigate the earlier use of waterboarding as a potential crime.

He said its use by the CIA "cannot possibly be the subject of a criminal, a Justice Department investigation, because that would mean that the same department that authorized the program would now consider prosecuting somebody who followed that advice."

Hayden publicly admitted to the CIA's use of waterboarding for the first time on Tuesday in testimony before a Senate committee.

Waterboarding qualifies as torture: UN

http://news.smh.com.au/waterboarding-qualifies-as-torture-un/20080209-1r7h.html

The controversial interrogation technique known as waterboarding and used by the United States qualifies as torture, the UN human rights chief said on Friday.

Violators of the UN Convention against Torture should be prosecuted under the principle of 'universal jurisdiction' which allows countries to try accused war criminals from other nations, Arbour said.

"There are several precedents worldwide of states exercising their universal jurisdiction ... to enforce the torture convention and we can only hope that we will see more and more of these avenues of redress," Arbour said.

The US Congress is considering banning the practice, in which prisoners are immobilised and water is poured into their breathing passages to simulate drowning.

Arbour referred to an arrest warrant issued in 1998 by a Spanish judge for former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, who died in 2006, on charges of torture, murder and kidnapping in the years that followed his 1973 coup.

Latin American dictatorships in the 1970s and 1980s were known to use waterboarding on political prisoners.

US Senate votes to forbid waterboarding

http://news.smh.com.au/us-senate-votes-to-forbid-waterboarding/20080214-1s6s.html

The US Senate passed legislation Wednesday to bar the CIA from using harsh interrogation methods including waterboarding, a simulated drowning technique denounced by rights groups as torture.

The Democratic-led Senate voted 51-45 in favor of a bill calling for the Central Intelligence Agency to adopt the US Army Field Manual, which forbids waterboarding and other types of coercive interrogation methods.

Habib loses newspaper defamation bid

http://news.smh.com.au/habib-loses-newspaper-defamation-bid/20080307-1xqp.html

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Mamdouh Habib has lost his high-profile defamation case against Nationwide News, publisher of Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

A jury in the NSW Supreme Court had earlier found that an article published in The Daily Telegraph in 2005 defamed Mr Habib by implying he had made false claims about torture.

But Nationwide News mounted a detailed defence of justification, challenging the former terror suspect's credibility over weeks of hearings last year.

Justice Peter McClellan ruled in favour of the media company, finding Mr Habib was "prone to exaggerate", "evasive" and had made claims about mistreatment in Pakistan and Egypt which could not be sustained.

'Torture-tainted evidence' mars US legal image: rights group

http://news.smh.com.au/torturetainted-evidence-mars-us-legal-image-rights-group/20080311-1yli.html

The use of torture to extract evidence from detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba has tarnished the US legal system's image and alienated allies in the war on terror, a rights group said Monday.

"The use of evidence tainted by torture and other inhuman treatment is pervasive and systematic in the cases of prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay, and has already infected legal judgments made there," Human Rights First said in a report titled "Tortured Justice."
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008 at 12:34pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print