Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bipartisan support for Kyoto - thanks Nelson (Read 9259 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Bipartisan support for Kyoto - thanks Nelson
Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:57pm

New Liberal leader Brendan Nelson speaks on Iraq, Kyoto

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22842843-661,00.html

NEW Liberal leader Brendan Nelson has said his party will pose no significant objections to the Rudd government's plans to withdraw from Iraq and ratify the Kyoto climate change agreement.

In his first press conference after a surprise 45-42 vote victory over rival Malcolm Turnbull, Dr Nelson said his Liberal opposition would accept the new Rudd government's right to implement policy.

The opposition will hold the balance of power in the Senate until July.

Dr Nelson said the opposition would support Australia's ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.

"Whatever some critics of the Kyoto Protocol might think, it's symbolically important to Australians and I think the most important thing for us as the alternative government is to see that Mr Rudd gets it right," Mr Nelson said.

On Iraq, Dr Nelson said Australia and its allies, including the US, had a responsibility to rebuild security and allow the Iraqis to manage their own country.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Bipartisan support for Kyoto - thanks Nelson
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 10:41pm

freediver wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:57pm:
New Liberal leader Brendan Nelson speaks on Iraq, Kyoto

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22842843-661,00.html

NEW Liberal leader Brendan Nelson has said his party will pose no significant objections to the Rudd government's plans to withdraw from Iraq and ratify the Kyoto climate change agreement.

In his first press conference after a surprise 45-42 vote victory over rival Malcolm Turnbull, Dr Nelson said his Liberal opposition would accept the new Rudd government's right to implement policy.

The opposition will hold the balance of power in the Senate until July.

Dr Nelson said the opposition would support Australia's ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.

"Whatever some critics of the Kyoto Protocol might think, it's symbolically important to Australians and I think the most important thing for us as the alternative government is to see that Mr Rudd gets it right," Mr Nelson said.

On Iraq, Dr Nelson said Australia and its allies, including the US, had a responsibility to rebuild security and allow the Iraqis to manage their own country.

Good tactic Brendan.  The sooner Australia sees the reality of the Rudd policies the sooner we will return to a coalition government.  He's taking the same approach as Joe Hockey.  It's a terrible pity Australians will pay the price but when the majority make the mistake they just did then unfortunately they have to take the responsibility for the damage it causes to their fellow Australians.

I didn't vote Liebor.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 8:43am

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:05pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 8:43am:

Yes he did.   And why did he say the opposition would support Australia's ratification of the Kyoto Protocol?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:17pm

Because the majority of Australians support the move.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:45pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:17pm:
Because the majority of Australians support the move.

Now you are listening.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Aussies corporates join climate ca
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:53pm

They support the move because they agree with the majority of scientists and economists.

Aussies corporates join climate call

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Aussies-corporates-join-climate-call/2007/11/30/1196037125171.html

Some of Australia's biggest companies have joined forces with businesses worldwide to call on political leaders to forge a legally binding agreement on slashing greenhouse gas emissions.

Financial giants Macquarie Bank, Westpac, National Australian Bank and Insurance Australia Group plus Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation are among 150 companies which launched their united call ahead of next week's climate change summit in Bali.

The unprecedented alliance - which includes some of the world's largest corporations such as Shell, Coca Cola, Nike and Sony Ericsson - argues legally binding targets would give companies the certainty they need to pour money into addressing climate change issues and develop low carbon technologies.

And in a dramatic turnaround for some corporations, they want politicians to be guided by scientists when setting new greenhouse gas emission reduction targets to come into force after the Kyoto protocol expires in 2012.

In a communique to be presented to the Bali summit, the companies call for an "ambitious, international and comprehensive, legally binding United Nations agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions".
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:22pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Aussies corporates join climate ca
Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 4:17pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:53pm:
They support the move because they agree with the majority of scientists and economists.

Aussies corporates join climate call

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Aussies-corporates-join-climate-call/2007/11/30/1196037125171.html

Some of Australia's biggest companies have joined forces with businesses worldwide to call on political leaders to forge a legally binding agreement on slashing greenhouse gas emissions.

Financial giants Macquarie Bank, Westpac, National Australian Bank and Insurance Australia Group plus Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation are among 150 companies which launched their united call ahead of next week's climate change summit in Bali.

The unprecedented alliance - which includes some of the world's largest corporations such as Shell, Coca Cola, Nike and Sony Ericsson - argues legally binding targets would give companies the certainty they need to pour money into addressing climate change issues and develop low carbon technologies.

And in a dramatic turnaround for some corporations, they want politicians to be guided by scientists when setting new greenhouse gas emission reduction targets to come into force after the Kyoto protocol expires in 2012.

In a communique to be presented to the Bali summit, the companies call for an "ambitious, international and comprehensive, legally binding United Nations agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions".

Now you have stopped listening and have started to hear corporatespeak.  You are going to need more critical analysis skills freediver.   Why would a bunch of giant corporations want to enforce such things?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 1:57pm

They know it was going to happen anyway when the public opion caught up with the scientists, the economists and the insurance people, and when the politicians caught up with public opinion. They know it will cost the economy more if you leave it too late to act and have ot change quickly.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:28pm

freediver wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 1:57pm:
They know it was going to happen anyway when the public opion caught up with the scientists, the economists and the insurance people, and when the politicians caught up with public opinion. They know it will cost the economy more if you leave it too late to act and have ot change quickly.

When you start listening to the banks, insurance conglomerates, Rupert Murdoch,  Shell, Coca Cola, Nike and Sony Ericsson on matters of ecological concern you have lost sight of ecological concern and have started to believe in greed.  Corporations love the new 'climate change' religion.  It has the potential to make vast profits for them all.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:41pm

So now you oppose action on climate change because people will make too much money from it?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 9:14pm

freediver wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:41pm:
So now you oppose action on climate change because people will make too much money from it?

No.  I just do not expect the country's leaders to make decisions based on the urging of corporations.  Their motivation is not for the good of the country or its people.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:45am

Fair enough, but when the only reason not to act is fearmongering from economic doomsayers, it says a lot when economists and big businesses are speaking up in favour of action and the last institution to act (or call for action) is the government.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 2:06pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:45am:
Fair enough, but when the only reason not to act is fearmongering from economic doomsayers, it says a lot when economists and big businesses are speaking up in favour of action and the last institution to act (or call for action) is the government.

The corporations are speaking out in favour of profit.  I don't expect a government to care at all about what they say.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Gillard defends decision to gag Garrett
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 3:24pm

You don't expect a government to care about at all about what business has to say? That sounds like something a hippy would say. I suppose you expect them to ignore economists as well and consult a palm reader instead.

Gillard defends decision to gag Garrett

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/rudd-backs-swan-on-climate-change/2007/12/04/1196530671945.html

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard has defended a decision to have the treasurer and not the environment minister Peter Garrett answer questions on climate change in the lower house.

Ms Gillard said climate change was an economic issue and the Treasurer Wayne Swan was in the best position to field questions on the issue in the House of Representatives.

A list of the Rudd ministry, issued by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet this week, allocates "other chamber" responsibilities for the climate change and water portfolio - held by Senator Penny Wong - to Mr Swan.

Being a member of the upper house, Senator Wong will be unable to answer questions on climate change in the lower house.

NSW flags $70m climate change projects

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/NSW-flags-70m-climate-change-projects/2007/12/05/1196812805429.html

The NSW government has announced $70 million in funding for two climate change and renewable energy programs.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma said on Wednesday $40 million would be given to a Renewable Energy Development Program, aimed at encouraging new technologies from the drawing board to the market place.

"A low emission future depends on our capacity to generate clean, green energy and this program provides financial backing for new ideas and technologies," Mr Iemma said.

Schools, community centres, town halls and other public buildings would also be able to access a $30 million pool of funding for water and energy saving projects.

Mr Iemma said the two programs would be funded under the $340 million Climate Change Fund, established in July to target water, energy and greenhouse gas emissions savings.

Annually both projects would save 90,000 megawatt-hours of electricity, 96,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, and two billion litres of water, the premier said.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2007 at 3:35pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print