Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
ALPs economic excuses arise already (Read 22699 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ALPs economic excuses arise already
Nov 27th, 2007 at 8:58am

They are already starting !!

"FEDERAL Treasurer-elect Wayne Swan says fighting inflation will be his top priority - but he warns there is no quick fix.

In his first newspaper interview since the Labor Party stormed to power on Saturday, Mr Swan said rising prices hurt working families and undermined their savings.

But he said it would take time for Labor policies to kick-in and start putting downward pressure on inflation.

"Being an inflation fighter is my No. 1 priority. It is a hard battle and you won't see results overnight," he told The Courier-Mail.

"It takes a long time to turn around. You see inflation everywhere, you not only see it at the supermarket, you see it in the price of a whole range of goods and services."

Most economists are predicting the Reserve Bank will be forced to lift interest rates in February, at the latest, even though there was a rate hike earlier this month. In its last monetary statement, the central bank warned inflation was getting out of control."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22828312-5013650,00.html

"EXPERTS have warned that fuel prices will hit near-record highs and probably remain there for the summer holidays leading into Christmas."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22827201-953,00.html

Tax cuts would help "battling" families. But those are only possible with a surplus.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: ALPs economic excuses arise already
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:16am

Maybe he should do a Costello and resign because the coalition stuffed up and left him with interest rates high and increasing rapidly....

What exactly do you expect Swan to do about it?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 6:20pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:16am:
Maybe he should do a Costello and resign because the coalition stuffed up and left him with interest rates high and increasing rapidly....

What exactly do you expect Swan to do about it?

Fix it of course.  The Liebor puppets have gabbled on incessantly about their 'plan for the future'.  Let's hear what it is.

Quote:
Unlike the coalition, Labor had a plan for the future, he said.

"This is core business for the country's future. We have a plan for the future," the opposition leader told reporters in Perth today.

"I think his comment this morning very much reflects a prime minister who's lost touch, a prime minister who's locked in old politics and a prime minister who's locked in the past without any positive plan of his own for this nation's future."

Read Kevvum's lips

Quote:
WAYNE SWAN: Oh Mr Howard is just stuck in the past and where he will have trouble tonight is that he won't have any fresh ideas for the future. I mean, only this week Laurie, we saw the Government put out a tax plan — a tax plan after 11 years but what they haven't got Laurie, is a plan for the future. What they had was a fist full of dollars on day one of the election campaign. What this country really needs now Laurie, is long-term ideas — a long-term plan, not just for the election but for the next three years and for next 10 years.

Read Wayne's Lips

Quote:
It is yet another demonstration to the Australian electorate that Kevin Rudd and Federal Labor have a plan for the Australia’s future in a range of key policy areas – education and skills; our health system; climate change.

Read Jules's Lips

So stop whinging and start applying the plan.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 6:25pm

I read their lips. They never said they will control inflation (unlike the Coalition).

So, what you you expect them to do about inflation?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 8:46pm

they could reduce the prices of petrol and groceries, give us more pay via destroying workchoices, reduce house prices and sigh up to kyoto !

HAHAHAHHAHHA

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:22pm

Actually, they could reduce house prices if they got rid of the coalition's first home owner's grant. Hopefully petrol prices will go up.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:44pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 6:25pm:
I read their lips. They never said they will control inflation (unlike the Coalition).

So, what you you expect them to do about inflation?

So they lied about the plan for new leadership with fresh ideas for the nation’s future and fresh ideas to help working families?

Youi're saying they have no ideas at all what to do?

Why would Little Kevvy say he had fresh ideas and a plan?

Quote:
RUDD: Chris, what Australia is asking for is new leadership with fresh ideas for the nation’s future and fresh ideas to help working families. You see, with Mr Howard there is no plan

Kevvy lied?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:17pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:22pm:
Actually, they could reduce house prices if they got rid of the coalition's first home owner's grant. Hopefully petrol prices will go up.

Actually, they will probably increase house prices by cowtailing to the Greens in the release of land for suitable homesites and increasing the environmental red tape that all Labor state govts have put in place.

Are you really that clueless FD? The major price increase for homes is solely caused by a bottle neck of 'perceived' unavailability of land.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 8:55am

So they lied about the plan for new leadership with fresh ideas for the nation’s future and fresh ideas to help working families?

That's not the same as controlling inflation. There are plenty of plans.

The major price increase for homes is solely caused by a bottle neck of 'perceived' unavailability of land.

So real prices are based purely on perceptions of unavailability? I don't think so.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:25am

So real prices are based purely on perceptions of unavailability? I don't think so.

No, real prices are based on supply and demand- when you bottleneck supply prices rise

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:32am

Correct, but not because of land release, or the lack thereof. Prices are highest in the cities because people want (demand) to live close to the CBD.

Land releases are a town planning issue that have nothign at all to do with the federal government. Howard just insisted that they were the problem to try to deflect attention from his policies which do increase house prices. Howard could point the finger at land releases, safe in the knowledge that he would have to deal with any of the town planning issues. It was classic buck passing.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 10:49am

...but not because of land release, or the lack thereof. Prices are highest in the cities because people want (demand) to live close ,to the CBD.

Wrong to a degree If the land isn't being released in outer areas then this creates extra demand on close to CBD areas which drives up  the prices even more so.

Land releases are a town planning issue that have nothign at all to do with the federal government.

Exactly...it's the state Labor govts where the majority of the blame lies. The Fed govt influence is extremely minor.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:04am

Wrong to a degree If the land isn't being released in outer areas then this creates extra demand on close to CBD areas which drives up  the prices even more so.

But that is a very small degree. Land on the outskirts is dirt cheap compared to close to the CBD.

The Fed govt influence is extremely minor.

Except of course for the housing subsidy. Which by the way, Howard used his new FOI laws to prevent the public from knowing what a bottomless pit of expense it was and how much it contributed to higer prices.

Exactly...it's the state Labor govts where the majority of the blame lies.

No, the majority of the blame lies with market forces, not government interference.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 5:59pm

freediver wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 8:55am:

That's not the same as controlling inflation. There are plenty of plans.

Are there?  What plans are there that will help working families if they are unable to control prices?    How can they take the pressure off working families?

Have they lied a lot?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:04pm

freediver wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:04am:
Wrong to a degree If the land isn't being released in outer areas then this creates extra demand on close to CBD areas which drives up  the prices even more so.

But that is a very small degree. Land on the outskirts is dirt cheap compared to close to the CBD.

The Fed govt influence is extremely minor.

Except of course for the housing subsidy. Which by the way, Howard used his new FOI laws to prevent the public from knowing what a bottomless pit of expense it was and how much it contributed to higer prices.

Exactly...it's the state Labor govts where the majority of the blame lies.

No, the majority of the blame lies with market forces, not government interference.

So according to you John Howard's policies "do increase house prices".  But he's not to blame for the house prices, "the majority of the blame lies with market forces, not government interference"?

Are you aware you just contradicted yourself?  Are you arguing with yourself?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print