Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Liberals pass racism off as joke after fisticuffs (Read 4011 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Liberals pass racism off as joke after fisticuffs
Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:36am

The Husband of outgoing Liberal MP Jackie Kelly has been busted handing out racist flyers that try to link the Labor party with Islamic terrorism. Ms Kelly has admitted that under party policy her husband should be expelled, but said that this had not happened.

Honestly, what were these guys thinking? Most racists in the Liberal party are intelligent enough to realise that they should hide their view in the interests of the party's reputation. Did they think it would somehow benefit the Liberal party?

Why haven't they all been expelled?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Bogus-leaflets-a-Chaserstyle-prank/2007/11/21/1195321872481.html

Outgoing Liberal MP Jackie Kelly says the distribution of bogus election material in her western Sydney electorate was a Chaser-style prank.

Ms Kelly's husband Gary Clark has been implicated in the letter-boxing of the bogus document, which purports to come from an Islamic group linking the ALP with support for terrorists.

Ms Kelly accused Labor members of going after the Liberal workers who were distributing the pamphlets.

" ... an ALP goon squad, which I understand was led by some unionists, have chased down and hunted down and tried to intimidate. I understand there was even a fight," she told ABC radio.

Asked what role her husband played, Ms Kelly said her understanding was that he was letter-boxing.

Asked if any of those involved had been expelled from the party, she said: "Well my husband hasn't been."

When asked if they deserved to be expelled, she said: "The party has absolutely taken that line, absolutely."

Asked directly whether she knew if the material was being distributed from her home, she said: "I would dispute that."

Meanwhile, Prime Minister John Howard has distanced himself from Ms Kelly who likened the Liberals' distribution of fraudulent campaign material as a Chaser-style stunt.

He rejected the retiring Ms Kelly's argument that the incident was a Chaser-style stunt that would have amused many voters.

"Quick action has been taken - people are out of the party. Others are playing no further part in the campaign.

Mr Rudd said the prime minister has questions to answer over the incident.

"Mr Howard has to explain how this occurred and who in the Liberal Party organisation was aware of it," he told Adelaide commercial radio 5AA.

"This says everything about the desperate and desperation politics on the part of the Liberal Party on the eve of the election.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Re: Liberals pass racism off as joke after fisticu
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 11:58pm

Well, I'm flown back home from an overseas trip just in time to catch the latest scandal from the federal election campaign.

Somehow, it didn't surprise me that the right-wing Liberals (albeit alledged rogue party members) would stoop to this level. Without knowing the full story, I imagine that either the AEC or the AFP will be investigating this matter. I'm pretty sure that it's against the law - corrupting the electoral process and democracy, inciting racial hatred, racial villification, sedition, defamation. Possibly some charges would come under electoral fraud, or terrorism but most definitely criminal and very serious.

I'm now convince that this website is a Liberal aligned forum. I'm surprised that something this serious did not attract a single comment so far from anyone. Why the silence?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:19am

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes You should take your tin foil hat off..it might get more oxygen to the brain.

FD who runs this site is one of the more radical LWingers around. This is not an impartial site, especially not to conservatives, but you are just seeing what the majority of mainstream Australia actually cares about...and it's not a media beatup

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:31am

But if I take my tin foil hat off I won't get any reception?  Undecided

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:50am

acid -  good time to fly home !!!

you're pretty right. the libs expelled those responsible from their party within hours.

imho its a pretty neutral site. fd does ok here.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 1:32pm

I think it was tame by legal standards - the real cost will be to the Liberal party at the polls. It was the final nail in the coffin.

the libs expelled those responsible from their party within hours

Not all of them. Some have just been removed from the campaign trail.

I make an honest effort to maintain neutrality on the forum. The articles are strongly biased towards my opinion (and anyone else prepared to contribute), but the forum is open to everyone. I haven't banned a single member yet and I've barely deleted anything.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 12:04am

Smiley

My congratulations to freediver for this site. I figured that you are the resident radical lefty in this forum.  Wink But I was commenting mostly on the other regulars.

What have I missed? I certainly went on a b usiness trip at the wrong time. Flirtatious emails? Bitchfights at a Wentworth polling booth? I missed out on all the fun.  Roll Eyes

Congrations to the ALP and Kevin Rudd. Now let's see how he and his team performs for the the next 3 years. He better live up to his promises. Non-core policies are a very touchy subject with the voters.

It was a good concession speech by John Howard. And while he has done some good things very early on in his first two terms I am glad to see him go. He and the Liberal party dropped the ball when they won the 2004 election and promised that they won't abuse the trust the electorate has given them. However, with the majority in both Houses that is exactly what they did.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Tensions running high in Chijoff house
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 11:56am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/tensions-running-high-in-chijoff-house/2007/11/25/1195947544412.html

A domestic showdown was looming on Sunday between failed Liberal candidate for Lindsay Karen Chijoff and her husband over his fake leaflet campaign, which is being blamed for contributing to Labor's national victory.

A furious Ms Chijoff says she knew nothing of the involvement of her husband Greg in last week distributing fake race-hate election flyers from a bogus Islamic group, claiming Labor wanted the Bali bombers forgiven.

She said on Saturday her husband had moved out of the family home and they had not spoken for days.

Mr Chijoff was forced to quit the Liberal Party over the affair.

"I'm not speaking to him any more," Ms Chijoff told News Ltd on Saturday as she cast her ballot in the former Liberal-held western Sydney seat.

After conceding defeat on Saturday night, a visibly upset Ms Chijoff told ABC TV she would be discussing the controversy with her husband on Sunday.

Labor candidate David Bradbury said the leaflet scandal contributed to his reclaiming a seat lost to the Liberals in 1996. The ALP won Lindsay back with a swing of nearly 10 per cent.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 12:12pm

fd - I would think so !!

One of the more brainless things I have seen for a LONG time !!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
MP links Abbott to leaflet scandal
Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 7:50pm

http://news.smh.com.au/mp-links-abbott-to-leaflet-scandal/20080221-1tlz.html

An MP wants parliament to investigate if former Howard government minister Tony Abbott played a role in a bogus leaflet scandal days out from its election loss.

David Bradbury, MP for the outer-western Sydney seat of Lindsay, suggested Mr Abbott's fundraising group may have helped pay for leaflets distributed in parts of his electorate in the week leading up to the November 24 poll.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Lib charges over leaflet
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:24pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/lib-charges-over-leaflet/2008/03/22/1205602728688.html

FIVE men will be charged over the Lindsay leaflet scandal which sent the Liberal Party into crisis just days before November's federal election.

NSW Police yesterday confirmed they had begun legal proceedings against the men, who will appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on April 29.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print