Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Would the coalition abuse the Senate? (Read 2062 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Would the coalition abuse the Senate?
Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:58pm

Given the chance that the coalition may retain control of the senate I think they should indicate whether they would block policies which labor clearly has a mandate to pass (if they win control of the lower house of course).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Libs-could-block-Labors-agenda-Brown/2007/11/20/1195321737956.html

Labor's climate change and workplace agenda will be blocked by a hostile Senate, most likely leading to a double dissolution, if the Labor Party wins government at Saturday's federal election, Greens Senator Bob Brown says.

He said there was a "very strong possibility" the coalition would retain its majority in the Senate and use its numbers to block legislation.

"Mr Howard would go, Mr Costello would become leader of the coalition and you'd have a hostile blocking coalition to legislation that Labor wanted to put through," he told ABC radio.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Would the coalition abuse the Senate?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:15pm

freediver wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:58pm:
Given the chance that the coalition may retain control of the senate I think they should indicate whether they would block policies which labor clearly has a mandate to pass (if they win control of the lower house of course).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Libs-could-block-Labors-agenda-Brown/2007/11/20/1195321737956.html

Labor's climate change and workplace agenda will be blocked by a hostile Senate, most likely leading to a double dissolution, if the Labor Party wins government at Saturday's federal election, Greens Senator Bob Brown says.

He said there was a "very strong possibility" the coalition would retain its majority in the Senate and use its numbers to block legislation.

"Mr Howard would go, Mr Costello would become leader of the coalition and you'd have a hostile blocking coalition to legislation that Labor wanted to put through," he told ABC radio.

Of course they should block highly destructive policies (anything proposed by Liebor).  They still have a duty to Australians even if Liebor don't give a testicles for workers.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:23pm

Just vote for Bob Brown  in the senate Roll Eyes That way he'll roll over at a whim for Labor (he's already sat up and begged)

Double dissolution- I like the sound of that. Smells like Gough all over again LOL

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:35pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:23pm:
Just vote for Bob Brown  in the senate Roll Eyes That way he'll roll over at a whim for Labor (he's already sat up and begged)

Double dissolution- I like the sound of that. Smells like Gough all over again LOL

Another crackpot Liebor man.  Whitlam presided over the worst Cabinet Australia has ever had the misfortune to suffer.  As politicians they made excellent crooks.

Malcolm Fraser (and I think he's a loony) inherited a disaster he had no idea how to fix.  John Howard as treasurer nearly resigned due to Mal's incompetence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print