Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
"We are a society not just an economy" - partisan? (Read 18118 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: "We are a society not just an economy" - parti
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:41am

What details ? he does not give any, nor answer any questions

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:45am

I think you have to look for them Sprint.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 5:59pm

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:38am:
Sounds good to me. The devil is in the details of course.

Well he's opposed to the idea of regional run (by boards) hospitals and as the current system is in chaos what does he propose?  He doesn't say but I guess he means throwing more buckets of money at the problem and hope it goes away.

Education revolution menas chucking vast sums of money at Technical Colleges while the world cries out for university educated dudes.  And allocating enough funds to child care which works out to about the price of a lunch a week for every child care worker.

Climate change is some plan to do something 40 years from now - a target he hopes to meet (but doesn't say how) in 2050.  And he will ratify the Kyoto Treaty which could see all our unskilled jobs go offshore to China and India.

His historical 'water plan' was to do nothing because dam building upset voters so the future is likely to be the same.

And by getting rid of workchoices he will re-create the army of casual workers with no security and no future that Keating created before and he will increase unemployment dramatically.

Yep, I agree freediver.  It all looks pretty good to an ALP supporter who doesn't care about ordinary Australians as long as the unions and Liebor cronies are happy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 8:02pm

Education revolution menas chucking vast sums of money at Technical Colleges while the world cries out for university educated dudes.

Tried to hire a plumber recently?

Climate change is some plan to do something 40 years from now

Ratifying Kyoto will imply short term action.

And he will ratify the Kyoto Treaty which could see all our unskilled jobs go offshore to China and India.

This gets repeated over and over, but I haven't seen any hard evidence. It's especially ahrd to justify given China's massive investment in wind energy.

You can't argue climate change both ways - that you don't like it because he will do nothing and that you don't like it because he will do something.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 8:09pm

It's especially ahrd to justify given China's massive investment in wind energy.

Massive according to who and in relation to what?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 8:33pm

For starters, compared to Austrralia's investment. According to who - try the Australian wind energy comapnies who are taking their jobs over to China because of our government's 'full steam ahead' approach to coal fired power stations.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 8:40pm

For starters, compared to Austrralia's investment.

How about a per capita/ KW comparison then...if it is on the 'massive' scale

try the Australian wind energy comapnies who are taking their jobs over to China because of economies of scale

I fixed that one for you

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:07pm

It has nothing to do with economies of scale. We aren't taking our coal fired plants over to China because of economies of scale. The Howard government killed off the Australian wind power industry. It's as simple as that.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:53pm

What rot

You stated
the Australian wind energy comapnies who are taking their jobs over to China

The reason for this is economies of scale

We aren't taking our coal fired plants over to China because of economies of scale.

What sort of strawman argument is that? Aside from that fact that China will be pulling online more coal fired plants in the next few years than what your beloved Kyoto protocol could ever hope to counteract.

The Howard government killed off the Australian wind power industry. It's as simple as that.

Pray tell oh environmental saviour?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:38pm

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:07pm:
It has nothing to do with economies of scale. We aren't taking our coal fired plants over to China because of economies of scale. The Howard government killed off the Australian wind power industry. It's as simple as that.

Most of China's energy will be coming from nuclear plants mate.  The wind plants are for people like you who believe that their tiny investment in renewable means something.

Are you aware that wind energy power generation is considerably more costly than many other forms and that it can not be relied upon for base load?

IP Logged

Greg

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:30pm

Howard's fear has been that Kyoto would put out the flame of his flickering little economy.
  It will have a wet blanket effect for sure. But our economy with the right people in charge
  would be unstoppable.

Australia is a country that hasn't happened yet.

To get it happening we must put a new party into parliment.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 12:21am

So what you are saying is...that you aren't saying anything at all?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Greg

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 12:41am

What I'm saying is if 3.whatever percent  growth was the best the colonial conservatives could do, Labor will probaly
manage only half of that under Kyoto.

A new party is needed, a party that has a real plan for the country.

A plan that the Sustainability party will come up with in time.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #28 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:15am

Greg wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:30pm:
 Howard's fear has been that Kyoto would put out the flame of his flickering little economy.
 It will have a wet blanket effect for sure. But our economy with the right people in charge
 would be unstoppable.

Australia is a country that hasn't happened yet.

To get it happening we must put a new party into parliment.

And what PM would not want to protect his 'flickering little economy'?  Why destroy the market which enables a country to build a society?  Without an economy we have the end of normalcy.  Forget a society - it would crumble overnight without wealth.  Check out Nauru.  Without an economy Nauru's chief source of income is Australian aid.  90% of Naurian adults are overweight, 40% of Naurians have adult onset diabetes and the life expectancy of Nauruian men is 58 years young.  The Bank of Nauru is insolvent, 95% of all employed persons work for the government - however unemployment is at 90%.

Only with an economy can a functioning society exist.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 7:25am

The reason for this is economies of scale

No it isn't. This is just stupid. Coal fired plants are more suited to alrger scale setups. The economies of scale argument works in the opposite direction. It is Howard government policy that is destroying our wind industry.

What sort of strawman argument is that?

It is an absurd thing to say - but no more absurd than claiming that economies of scale are sending our wind energy jobs overseas. The fact that we are even discussing economies of scale in this context is absurd.

Pray tell oh environmental saviour?

They federalised the states MRET system. The states established a wind energy industry. Howard destroyed it. This is well known.

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/ecita_ctte/renewableenergy/report/d03.htm

The Government's failure to implement recommendations 8 and 9 of the Tambling report (to increase and extend MRET) in this Bill is economically, socially and environmentally irresponsible and short-sighted.

In addition to potential job losses submitters also indicated that because of the Government's failure to provide business certainty companies and investors are moving offshore resulting in billions of dollars of lost investment in Australia. This is criminal given Australians widening trade and current account deficit gap.

The Australian Wind Energy Association cited in their submission a number of examples of investors going offshore as a result of Government inaction:

The investment cliff is also clearly demonstrated by the amount of investment that is proceeding offshore to countries and regions providing market incentives for the renewable energy sector.

Are you aware that wind energy power generation is considerably more costly than many other forms and that it can not be relied upon for base load?

Of course it is more expensive or we would have been using them already. Under a distributed system thay can support significant base load. Base load is also not fixed - there are plenty of economic mechanisms that are already used to adjust electricity consumption.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007 at 8:15am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print