Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
"We are a society not just an economy" - partisan? (Read 18108 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
"We are a society not just an economy" - partisan?
Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:56pm

The Liberal party cannot have it both ways. If it claims that it supports the concept of being more than just an economy then it cannot complain about a message that has bipartisan backing.

School sign stirs political debate

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/School-sign-stirs-political-debate/2007/11/20/1195321750325.html

Acting NSW Premier John Watkins says he does not believe a Sydney school is displaying an anti-John Howard slogan on its school grounds.

Riverside Girls High School at Gladesville in Sydney's north-west is displaying the message "We are a society not just an economy" on an external notice board.

But Mr Watkins said he saw nothing wrong with the Riverside slogan.

"Actually, both sides of federal politics believe that," he said.

"I don't see it as being politically partisan to say that we are more than just an economy, that we are a society."

Mr Stoner said later, he believed the message was a shot at the Howard government.

"John Watkins must think we came down in the last shower if he's trying to sell this as a non-partisan, non-political message," he told reporters.

"It's clearly a reference to the Howard government, it's clearly been placed there at the peak time of political opportunism, just days out from an election."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: "We are a society not just an economy" - parti
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 5:49pm

freediver wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:56pm:
The Liberal party cannot have it both ways. If it claims that it supports the concept of being more than just an economy then it cannot complain about a message that has bipartisan backing.

School sign stirs political debate

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/School-sign-stirs-political-debate/2007/11/20/1195321750325.html

Acting NSW Premier John Watkins says he does not believe a Sydney school is displaying an anti-John Howard slogan on its school grounds.

Riverside Girls High School at Gladesville in Sydney's north-west is displaying the message "We are a society not just an economy" on an external notice board.

But Mr Watkins said he saw nothing wrong with the Riverside slogan.

"Actually, both sides of federal politics believe that," he said.

"I don't see it as being politically partisan to say that we are more than just an economy, that we are a society."

Mr Stoner said later, he believed the message was a shot at the Howard government.

"John Watkins must think we came down in the last shower if he's trying to sell this as a non-partisan, non-political message," he told reporters.

"It's clearly a reference to the Howard government, it's clearly been placed there at the peak time of political opportunism, just days out from an election."

"We are a society not just an economy"?

What does it mean?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:16pm

Deep - it is an ALP platitude, so it means nothing.

We are always a society.
We can be a poor malnourished ignorant violent one or a wealthy educated safe one.
Take your pick

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:21pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:16pm:
Deep - it is an ALP platitude, so it means nothing.

We are always a society.
We can be a poor malnourished ignorant violent one or a wealthy educated safe one.
Take your pick

Kind of like a bumper sticker?

Who needs an economy when we have a society - even if the society we have is a violent, starving and desperate one due to the lack of a functioning economy?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:15pm

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/environment-society-economy.html

This simple diagram neatly captures how the new focus on sustainability has changed the way we view the interaction between the environment, society and the economy. On the right is the old 'Mickey Mouse' model showing the economy as most important with society and the environment as separate, minor, side issues. The new 'bullseye' model on the left reveals an understanding that our society is wholly dependent on the environment and how our economy is wholly dependent on our society. Rather than seeing the environment and society as a luxury issue that only the rich can afford to concern themselves with, they are a vital basis which must be maintained in order to achieve a healthy economy. You cannot sacrifice the environment for the economy - it is simply not possible. By destroying the environment, you destroy the society and the economy.

Sprint and DT, both parties support the concept, yet the Liberals are upset because they think people will associate it more with Labor.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:49pm

One Liberal is upset - that is hardly a crowd.  But that kind of bumper sticker philosophy is probably quite typical of the Liebor supporter.  After all why else would Kevvum be trotting out slogans like 'Education Revolution' and 'Fork In The Road' if he didn't think his audience anaesthetised enough to be convinced by it.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:57pm

Cute pictures FD- but utterly meaningless.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 8:32pm

Nah freediver, I liked the diagrams. Just interpereted them differently.

The concentric one shows a well run ecomony is at the centre of the society, which correspondingly supports the envitronment.

The mickey mouse one nothing is together, the environment and society will roll off and away.
All will tumble

the lesser developed economies are destroying environments quicker and the societies are worse.
The more developed economies are better for the environment and have the best society

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 9:20am

That generalisation is not entirely true. There are plenty of dirt poor countries who look after their environment and plenty of rich ones that don't. The difference is the direction they are going. The environment is the cause, not the result.

Deepthought, if you want bumper sticker philosophy, try repeating over and over again 'Labor will stuff the economy.' (Then complaining if the public thinks you only care about the economy).

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:40pm

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 9:20am:
That generalisation is not entirely true. There are plenty of dirt poor countries who look after their environment and plenty of rich ones that don't. The difference is the direction they are going. The environment is the cause, not the result.

Deepthought, if you want bumper sticker philosophy, try repeating over and over again 'Labor will stuff the economy.' (Then complaining if the public thinks you only care about the economy).

Thing is freediver, there's adequate proof that Liebor root economies.  They always have.   Australia has a history of cyclic catastrophes caused by Liebor Parties then fixed by the coaltion.

Whereas 'forks in the road' and 'education revolutions' are so much jaw flapping with no substance.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:52pm

Right now the Liberal party is looking more like the Labor party of old. Handouts for everyone. It's absurdly simplistic to assume the smae aprty means te same policies. It's the policies that matter.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 7:33pm

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:52pm:
Right now the Liberal party is looking more like the Labor party of old. Handouts for everyone. It's absurdly simplistic to assume the smae aprty means te same policies. It's the policies that matter.

Quite.  And once you have heard Kevvum speak you have heard how he plans to root the economy.   Again.

But you will only hear it after you take your fingers out of your ears.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 7:38pm

Perhaps you should quote him.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 9:06pm

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 7:38pm:
Perhaps you should quote him.

Quote:
RUDD: . . . .  it’s my plan for the country’s future, I’m offering new leadership, fresh ideas for working families under financial pressure but fresh ideas for the nation’s future too – hospitals, education, climate change, water and getting rid of Workchoices.

Get ready to be poverty stricken again and vote for Kevvum

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:38am

Sounds good to me. The devil is in the details of course.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print