Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Liberal robots to hassle voters over phone (Read 1652 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Liberal robots to hassle voters over phone
Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:51pm

I'm not sure how this is supposed to improve a party's reputation:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Libs-to-start-calling-voters-by-phone/2007/11/20/1195321753169.html

Beware that ringing home phone - especially voters in marginal electorates.

The Liberal Party is about to start calling voters around the country with pre-recorded messages from John Howard, Peter Costello and other coalition figures.

However, some messages may be received on mobile phones if a fixed-line phone is diverted to the mobile.

At the 2004 election, several people complained of receiving messages from the prime minister on their mobile phones, charged at mobile phone rates.

Wolves in sheep's clothing?

AEC investigating pro-Liberal ads in Tas

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/AEC-investigating-proLiberal-ads-in-Tas/2007/11/20/1195321753163.html

The Australian Electoral Commission is investigating a pro-Liberal Party advertisement which used the union slogan "your rights at work".

Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry vice-president John White authorised the advertisement which appeared in both the Launceston Examiner and Burnie Advocate last week.

The ad uses the same font and colour employed by the ACTU in its anti-Work Choices advertising.

"A complaint has been lodged and an investigation is underway," a spokeswoman for the electoral commission said.

The ACTU lodged the complaint and also wrote to Mr White, accusing him of breaching intellectual property.

"We allege that you have flagrantly breached the electoral and other commonwealth acts," the letter, obtained by AAP, says.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Liberal robots to hassle voters over phone
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:13pm

freediver wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 4:51pm:
I'm not sure how this is supposed to improve a party's reputation:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Libs-to-start-calling-voters-by-phone/2007/11/20/1195321753169.html

Beware that ringing home phone - especially voters in marginal electorates.

The Liberal Party is about to start calling voters around the country with pre-recorded messages from John Howard, Peter Costello and other coalition figures.

However, some messages may be received on mobile phones if a fixed-line phone is diverted to the mobile.

At the 2004 election, several people complained of receiving messages from the prime minister on their mobile phones, charged at mobile phone rates.

Yes, the Libs did it in 2004 and the opposition found it most disagreeable.  The ALP said the new strategy was "unwelcome and bizarre".

So the ALP did it themselves this year and thought it was a good strategy.    Grin

Quote:
MAXINE MCKEW (phone message): Hello, this is Maxine McKew. I'm calling residents in Adelaide with a message about climate change.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: Tony, one of the voters in the Adelaide seat of Boothby, held by Liberal Andrew Southcott with a margin of 5.4 per cent, is not impressed.

TONY: Well, I got a surprise. I felt that Maxine McKew, I've heard about her, I know that she's competing in another seat and it's another state, and I found the whole message intrusive as far as having to make my own decision-making, which way I'll actually vote (phonetic).

ALEXANDRA KIRK: It won't affect your vote?

TONY: Not that particular phone message, no.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: Not positively or negatively?

TONY: In no way whatsoever. It just is a annoyance that I had to listen to it.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: It didn't go down any better with one of his neighbours, Mary Silver.

MARY SILVER: It was just quite surprising to get a phone call out the blue from a New South Wales candidate. It doesn't make me change my mind at all or think any differently really.

Well, I couldn't bring myself to vote for our Boothby candidate even if I was voting for a Labor government. So I'm afraid what Maxine McKew says isn't going to make any difference to me at all.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: She doesn't like unsolicited calls, whether for charity or politics.

MARY SILVER: I guess we're in a public domain and people can call our number about anything, but I rushed in from the garden to try and answer the call, and it was on the answering machine. So I do find it rather annoying to get phone calls, well unsolicited phone calls, and whether they're a political nature or a begging phone call doesn't really make much difference.

Often it's an inconvenience.

ALEXANDRA KIRK: Maxine McKew wasn't available to speak to PM. Labor's campaign spokeswoman, Senator Penny Wong, defends the strategy.

PENNY WONG: Climate change is a key issue for this nation's future, and we want to share Kevin Rudd's plan to tackle climate change.

I smell a hypocrite

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print