Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Traveston Crossing Dam (Read 6250 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Traveston Crossing Dam
Nov 16th, 2007 at 4:27pm

So much for 'public consultation'.

Bulldozers move in on Qld dam site

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Bulldozers-move-in-on-Qld-dam-site/2007/11/16/1194766951398.html

Opponents of a controversial south-east Queensland dam are angry bulldozers have moved in before the end of consultation over environmental measures.

Anti-dam campaigner Glenda Pickersgill said bulldozers this week started clearing remnant trees on a state government-owned property on Traveston Crossing Road, downstream from the site of the proposed Traveston Crossing Dam's wall, near Gympie, north of Brisbane.

Public comment closes on December 3 and it will then be referred to the federal environment minister for a decision early next year.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Traveston Crossing Dam
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 7:48pm

freediver wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 4:27pm:
So much for 'public consultation'.

Bulldozers move in on Qld dam site

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Bulldozers-move-in-on-Qld-dam-site/2007/11/16/1194766951398.html

Opponents of a controversial south-east Queensland dam are angry bulldozers have moved in before the end of consultation over environmental measures.

Anti-dam campaigner Glenda Pickersgill said bulldozers this week started clearing remnant trees on a state government-owned property on Traveston Crossing Road, downstream from the site of the proposed Traveston Crossing Dam's wall, near Gympie, north of Brisbane.

Public comment closes on December 3 and it will then be referred to the federal environment minister for a decision early next year.

All over red rover on the 24th. Labor has not made any comment that I know of, reversing the Qld Govt decision.

In fact, locally, tenders are being called.

The dam will be built, methinks.

Angry

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 11:16pm

Aussie - As garrett said - "it will all change if they get in anyway"

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 7:01am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 17th, 2007 at 11:16pm:
Aussie - As garrett said - "it will all change if they get in anyway"

Quite right.  Rudd and his crony Goss canned the Wolffdene Dam back in the late 80s early 90s due to public displeasure and that is the reason Brisbane has no water today.

Rudd is for popularity, not reality.  It will change and we will have no water.  Again.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Show plans for new Qld dam: green gro
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 2:01pm

http://news.smh.com.au/show-plans-for-new-qld-dam-green-groups/20080228-1vim.html

Environmental groups are calling on the Queensland government to come clean on plans to dam one of the last free-flowing waterways left in the state's south-east.

Concerns have been raised that Baffle Creek, between Gladstone and Bundaberg, could be dammed - sparking a similar fight to that over the controversial Traveston Dam.

No dam at Baffle Creek: Bligh

http://news.smh.com.au/no-dam-at-baffle-creek-bligh/20080303-1wjb.html

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has given the thumbs down to a new dam on an environmentally sensitive waterway in central Queensland.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008 at 12:00pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Sniff of Queensland election damns recycling
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:36pm

The dam has been shelved for up to four years.

What does degradation due to farming have to do with anything? Surely the cattle have not degraded the bedrock, and the dam will not be sitting on top of the topsoil?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24708206-2702,00.html

THE Queensland Government was yesterday forced into an election-driven backdown on two fronts: recycling sewage in the state's southeast and the flooding of a valley to create a dam in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

Premier Anna Bligh yesterday renewed speculation of a New Year election campaign by ordering a review of the $2.5 billion recycled sewage plan and announcing the controversial Traveston Crossing Dam would be shelved for up to four years.

Ms Bligh said the co-ordinator-general had advised that the dam site, near Gympie, had been badly degraded by decades of farming and would need mitigation work before the project was ready to go before the federal Government for approval.

In the Mary Valley, the locals were preparing to celebrate well into the night, including the Robertson family who moved to the area in early 2006, only a few weeks before the dam was announced.

Parents-of-five Stacey and Stuart Robertson had settled on a 61 hectare property in Kandanga and Ms Robertson said it had been "an emotional rollercoaster" since then.

"We've put so much into this property; it means so much to us," she said.

For their 14-year-old son Angus, the proposal to build the dam threw into doubt his long-term ambition to keep the property in the family.

"Eventually, I'd like to run cattle on the property," Angus said.

"It's what I've always planned to do: work on the land."

Speaking on the other attempt to address environmental concerns and capture Green preferences, Ms Bligh said Mary Valley locals and environmentalists who oppose the dam should not interpret the delay as a precursor to abandoning the project.

"The advice to us is that in order to secure an approval for this dam, we need to delay its construction by several years to ensure we can meet the conditions required to minimise the environmental impact," she said.

Environmentalists fear the loss of threatened species including lungfish, turtle and cod if the dam goes ahead.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:41pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 4:21pm

Its all good. The public got screwed and not a few pollies did very nicely out of the Travesty Dam fiasco. Just inspiring........NOT.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 4:31pm

Quote:
not a few pollies did very nicely

What do you mean by that?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:21pm

No, it has not been shelved.
it is going ahead, Anna bly was very sure and adamant of this.

There is environmental work that has to be done prior to construction.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 9:43am

Of course there are some dams that the local population have been lobbying for, for many years.

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/11/05/2081832.htm

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/news-media-and-events/public-comment-sought-on-nathan-...

This is sustainable development that has to happen.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 10:01am

I still think the traveston dam is unnecessary and not much good anyway.
Capacity is low.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print