Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Climate Change - for the sceptics (Read 36101 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Climate Change - for the sceptics
Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:40am

There are a number of arguments against reducing CO2 emissions still floating around. They are all based on some kind of misunderstanding. A focus on scientific uncertainty ignores the economic reality and the principles of risk management which are fundamental to sound economic management. A focus on China and other poor countries ignores the reality that they will never match our level of per capita CO2 emissions and that they are already investing more in renewable energy than we are. Criticisms of Kyoto ignore the fact that it is merely a first step, not a final solution and that attempting to create our own version is a step backwards.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/climate-change-for-the-sceptics.html

Aussies warned about higher energy bills

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Aussies-warned-about-higher-energy-bills/2007/11/14/1194766684805.html

Australians should prepare to pay more for petrol and electricity as part of a policy response to climate change, new research says.

Under policies to fight climate change, consumers will suffer higher costs for goods and services that depend on cheap energy, says Melbourne University professor of economics John Freebairn in a collection of research for the Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA).

The report, Climate Change: Getting It Right, is written by a range of scientists, academic and industry professionals and explores ways to reduce greenhouse gases with a minimum effect on economic growth.

Mr Byers said that action on climate change is needed now.

"We certainly can not wait for perfect knowledge before taking action," he said in the introduction to the report.

"Public policy has tools for making decisions in conditions of risk and uncertainty.

"These general rules apply equally to climate change issues."
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:52am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Re: Climate Change - for the sceptics
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 6:32pm

argument invalid.

I dont believe in risk management. I believe in doing what i deem to be right in every instance.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 10:31am

But risk management is about doing what is right.

Do you believe in refusing to deal with uncertainty in a rational manner?

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:51pm

what is rational is only a matter of perspective

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:39am

You can take perspective into account in dealing with uncertainty, for example by considering risk neutral or risk averse approaches. John Howard's approach is only rational if your perspective is that you like to put the economy at risk and eventually destroy it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:01am

We were warned.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:27am

The problem with this world is population -
it's out of control.

Only 500 million people can have a 1st world lifestyle
without destroying the environment forever -
yet we have 7 billion people all wanting that lifestyle &
in Africa they are breeding like rabbits.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:28am

The problem is that no-one listened to FreeDiver's original post back in 2007 !!!!
Shocked

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:25am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:27am:
The problem with this world is population -
it's out of control.

Only 500 million people can have a 1st world lifestyle
without destroying the environment forever -
yet we have 7 billion people all wanting that lifestyle &
in Africa they are breeding like rabbits.

Spot on, Bobby! Ironically, the quest for first world living standards is also driving third world immigration. Check out Bruegel's painting, The Land of Plenty'. There isn't enough room on the hill!  The first step for us in wealthy countries to combat world poverty is to all give up a sizeable portion of OUR wealth. So, who's first,hmmmnnn?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:54am

The problem causing the earth to heat is emission of GHGs. The wealthy countries emit most.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:40pm

As first world countries turn away from fossil fuels, developing nations like India and Brazil will fill the void. It's already happening! All we will see is the economic growth of third world countries at our expense with zero benefit to the environment.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 1:02pm

India is also investing heaps in renewables: it has the biggest solar generator in the world.

India and China have vast populations needing to have very basic lifestyles improved so that they need some coal etc generators is understood.

Turning to renewable energy, perhaps backed up by some nuclear, will see no more miner’s black lung, no more respiratory diseases and death from the emissions of coal fired generators, fewer deaths in coal mines.

What is not to like?

Pity this board does not have a good Environment Board where this could be thrashed out.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:26pm

So we can agree that its the two 'irresponsible' extremes of

Over-Population: poor people who keep having more kids than they can feed.

Over-Indulgent: rich people who keep making more money than they can spend (on themselves).

So Super Rich Man has all the latest technologically advanced 'toys' but no (time for) kids and if they do have kids - they are really just 'pets'.
Super Poor Man hasn't got a dime but has to revert to crime, poaching, piracy to feed his eleven kids his had with three different women.

Yes - Over-Population is the main cause of the 'over-load' on the World and the Over-Indulgent do nothing but look after themselves at the 'expense of others'.

No offence - but I think the world is stuffed!

Even now in Australia - there is a Minority of Over-Indulgent growing for the aim of 'Uber-Wealth' which will of course, cause the collapse of our 'Middle-Class' system and create a social breakdown and sudden 'population explosion' via the new 'real' poverty.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:31pm

In a nut shell the bottom line is a hand full of very rich, powerful and greedy men want to charge the rest of us fro the air that we breathe.

No other cause can recruit soldiers like the environment does, they know it and have taken advantage of it.

CO2 has never controlled temperature on Earth all one has to do is look into our history, for if it did as the alarmists claim it does it would be evident in our climate history.

Now get of your arses and look.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 12:47am

Ajax wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:31pm:
In a nut shell the bottom line is a hand full of very rich, powerful and greedy men want to charge the rest of us fro the air that we breathe.

No other cause can recruit soldiers like the environment does, they know it and have taken advantage of it.

CO2 has never controlled temperature on Earth all one has to do is look into our history, for if it did as the alarmists claim it does it would be evident in our climate history.

Now get of your arses and look.

and it will be the same people who poisoned the air in the first place. The Treatment and the Cure.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print