Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
taxis unsafe for women (Read 4746 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
taxis unsafe for women
Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:46am

Taxi drivers are often in a position of great responsiblity - caring for drunk and vulnerable women. Is it no longer safe to send a female friend home in a taxi? The cab companies should take on the greatest responsibility as they are more able to pick up on repeat complaints than police are, but they are unwilling to fire offenders.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cabbies-making-taxis-unsafe-for-women/2007/11/12/1194766541096.html

Sydney taxi drivers are regularly getting away with sexual assaulting passengers and are making taxis unsafe for women.

A News Limited newspaper reports one in 10 cab drivers who recently faced formal sexual misconduct complaints was taken off the road.

Documents obtained by the paper found 74 complaints between January 2006 and May 2007 show most drivers accused of misbehaviour simply deny it and the matter is dismissed due to "conflicting statements".

NSW Rape crisis centre manager Karen Willis said complaints against drivers should not be dealt with by cab companies desperate to retain staff.

"This is just appalling. This is an issue that bubbles up all the time and cab companies are washing their hands of responsibility," she told the newspaper.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: taxis unsafe for women
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 7:09pm

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:46am:
Taxi drivers are often in a position of great responsiblity - caring for drunk and vulnerable women. Is it no longer safe to send a female friend home in a taxi? The cab companies should take on the greatest responsibility as they are more able to pick up on repeat complaints than police are, but they are unwilling to fire offenders.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cabbies-making-taxis-unsafe-for-women/2007/11/12/1194766541096.html

Sydney taxi drivers are regularly getting away with sexual assaulting passengers and are making taxis unsafe for women.

A News Limited newspaper reports one in 10 cab drivers who recently faced formal sexual misconduct complaints was taken off the road.

Documents obtained by the paper found 74 complaints between January 2006 and May 2007 show most drivers accused of misbehaviour simply deny it and the matter is dismissed due to "conflicting statements".

NSW Rape crisis centre manager Karen Willis said complaints against drivers should not be dealt with by cab companies desperate to retain staff.

"This is just appalling. This is an issue that bubbles up all the time and cab companies are washing their hands of responsibility," she told the newspaper.

Karen Willis should start a campaign to get more women driving cabs.  Problem solved.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:39pm

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:46am:

I'll give you a dollar for every driver guilty of offence committed against a passenger, if you give me one hundred for every passenger who commits an offence against a driver.

Where I work, we are taking very particular attention to gathering data.  Indications here are, Cabbies -v- Punter = innocent -v- guilty.

As for the responsibility of 'cab companies,'.....they have none.

'cab companies' receive phone calls for a cab, and send a cab to that caller.  That is their sole mission, and responsibility.

After that, the DRIVER of the cab is solely responsible. 

He is running his own business.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:47pm

That shouldn't mean that the companies that rake in the dollars for distributing the business to cabbies should have no responsibility- they should be held more accountable for investigating assaults perpetuated against the public. Having a dedicated communications network shouldn't absolve you of the responsibilities of who you choose to access that network

You can turn it into the 'well the public assaults us' but that is just denial or protectionism of the problem

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:41am

Cab companies do far more than pass on customers.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 8:40am

Cabs are becoming unsafe for passengers I reckon.  I rarely catch cabs - I have little reason to but the other day I had cause to catch one from Spring Hill into the City - George Street, at the Roma Street end.

Now every Brisneylander knows that George Street is one way at that end -> outbound.

I told the cabbie the corner in George Street that I wanted to go to and he turned into Roma Street off Ann Street.

This won't mean much to non Brisbane folk but the situation is that one can not turn into George Street from Roma Street because it is one way facing you at the end.  So the route he took would not be able to get me to my destination. 

I made him stop in the middle of Roma Street and crossed through as a pedestrian because cars can't go that way.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 9:49am

freediver wrote on Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:41am:
Cab companies do far more than pass on customers.

What?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 2:27pm

They advertise, maintain branding/image. I think they own a lot of the vehicles too. If one yellow cabbie misbehaves it makes them all look bad so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't involve themselves with maintaining the brand name via standards etc.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 5:27pm

freediver wrote on Nov 18th, 2007 at 2:27pm:
They advertise, maintain branding/image. I think they own a lot of the vehicles too. If one yellow cabbie misbehaves it makes them all look bad so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't involve themselves with maintaining the brand name via standards etc.

Oh I dunno, they let any old idiot be a cabbie.  Don't they Aussie.   Wink

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 8:36pm

freediver wrote on Nov 18th, 2007 at 2:27pm:

They advertise......yes, they do......they advertise, on my Cab, with my consent, the phone number they want you to ring to book a Cab.  Yes, they also own some Cabs.

Yes, if one Cabbie......driver......misbehaves, it obviously has an impact.

But, what is it that the booking and dispatch Company does which amounts to 'far more than pass on customers?'

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 12:45am

Aussie - the company matches up their customers with their drivers, albeit subcontracted.
They have records of what call goes to what driver when and owe a degree of safety to their customers.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:36pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 19th, 2007 at 12:45am:
Aussie - the company matches up their customers with their drivers, albeit subcontracted.
They have records of what call goes to what driver when and owe a degree of safety to their customers.

Popular misconception. 

Most of the incoming traffic is automated, (it's called Cabcall) and thus there is little chance of that happening.

But, if you are saying that the Cab Company knows which Cab did which job, you are correct, most times............hails excepted.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Cab driver accused of rape denied bail
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 3:21pm

They probably also help to streamline all the paperwork. I can't image most cabbies doing all the paperwork associated with a small business.

Cab driver accused of rape denied bail

http://news.smh.com.au/cab-driver-accused-of-rape-denied-bail/20071220-1iag.html

A Sydney taxi driver charged with raping his passenger claims the sex was consensual, despite a Sydney court being told the alleged victim is a lesbian.

MD Kowsar Ali, 23, appeared in the NSW Supreme Court to make a fresh application for bail over the November 3 incident that he claims involved consensual sex with an 18-year-old woman who had hired his cab.

"The allegation is the applicant removed the victim from the front seat to the back seat, violently removed her clothing and had sexual intercourse with her without her consent," Justice Ian Harrison said.

Justice Harrison denied bail, saying evidence found in the cab, teamed with the woman's sexuality, formed compelling parts of the prosecution's case.

on the flip side:

Taskforce aiming to improve taxi safety

http://news.smh.com.au/taskforce-aiming-to-improve-taxi-safety/20080112-1lkh.html

Up to half of NSW taxi drivers feel unsafe working at night, fearing they will be the victim of a physical attack and robbery, new research shows.

Findings of a survey conducted by the Taxi Safety and Security Taskforce, released, reveal fare evasion and intoxicated passengers are among the top concerns for drivers and often went unreported.

The report, prepared by former NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Dave Madden, recommends changes to technical and physical taxi security including the fitting of cameras, improved reporting and policing of incidents, heightened public awareness of taxi security, and a greater link between liquor licensing and public transport.

"The government also supports the recommendations for technology initiatives like driver door locks, two emergency buttons in each vehicle, and mandatory security cameras in every taxi from March 1 in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and the central Coast, and other areas from September 1."

Accused taxi driver rapist on bail

http://news.smh.com.au/accused-taxi-driver-rapist-on-bail/20080124-1nsf.html

A taxi driver granted bail by a Sydney court allegedly drove three female passengers to dark, deserted locations before repeatedly raping them in separate sex attacks.

Police allege taxi driver Hassan Nagi committed the assaults in taxis at Glebe, Kings Cross and Kogarah between July 2003 and June last year.

The alleged victims were women, aged 31, 23 and 27, and two of them were heavily intoxicated as they headed home after nights out.

His lawyer, Clive Steirn SC, told the court the women were all prostitutes and that the sex was consensual.

However, Kate Chater, for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), denied the women were prostitutes and told the court the offences were extremely serious.

Qld cabbies may include killers: govt

http://news.smh.com.au/qld-cabbies-may-include-killers-govt/20080130-1p16.html

Convicted murderers have been handed taxi licences in Queensland, the state government has admitted.

Queensland Transport figures show 1,140 drivers with criminal or traffic records have been registered to drive taxis in Brisbane since January 2006 - almost half of the 2,400 licences issued during that time.

Only 459 would-be cabbies were rejected after background checks.

Queensland Transport executive director of passenger transport Paul Blake said people who had been convicted of a sex crime or any offence against children were barred from applying for licences.

But he said convicted murderers could be eligible - depending on how long ago the offence occurred.

"Murder is a conviction that you can qualify after a period of time," Mr Blake told ABC radio.

"Obviously we would require that to be a long time in the past."

Anyone who had additional convictions since then would be overlooked.

Premier Anna Bligh defended the checks, saying Queensland was the first state in Australia to introduce laws prohibiting anybody with a conviction for a sexual offence from getting a taxi licence.

"Queenslanders who travel in taxis can feel very confident that Queensland has one of the toughest regimes for licensing in the country," she said.

But opposition transport spokesman Tim Nicholls said most people would be alarmed at the thought that they could be driven around by a convicted murderer.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2008 at 2:59pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print