Send Topic Print
more bars for Sydney (Read 1455 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
more bars for Sydney
Nov 6th, 2007 at 2:07pm

This is a good thing. The previous laws basically ruled out a lot of small bars and were anticompetitive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Property-Council-backs-small-bars-change/2007/11/06/1194118014976.html

The Property Council of Australia has welcomed a NSW plan to encourage small bars, saying it will make city centres better for work, play and business.

Small bars in Sydney will soon be allowed to serve alcohol without food, and the cost of a liquor licence will be drop from $15,000 to $500 for a small bar and $2,000 for a hotel.

They also will not have to conduct an expensive social impact assessment study.

Property Council executive director Ken Morrison applauded the proposed changes, saying it set the scene for Sydney to "develop an eclectic mix of bars".

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rob_mcc

OzPolitic

Re: more bars for Sydney
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 8:33pm

This sounds good on the surface.  More bars, more entertainment, more small buisiness etc etc.  But when it gets down to it the culture of alcohol is extremely destructive to society.  This new legislation will simply encourage people to spend more of their lives and money on the destructive scurge to socity that is alcohol.  This is no joke.   We all know alcohol abuse is a BIG problem.  It's all a big money spinner and it's down right wrong.   Why are they relaxing SMART laws such as the food service laws?   It's a step back in time.  Eventually the laws will be returned back to the current state so why even bother?  A quick buck!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: more bars for Sydney
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 9:19pm

Do we really need to have food on sale inside the bar? I prefer to go down the block for a kebab. Added bonus - it gets you out of the bar. Apart from that, I'm not sure how it will encourage alcoholism. Who knows, it may herald a return to the days of bartenders you can talk to.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print