Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should high schools make condoms available to students?

Yes, it offers protection for those who need it    
  1 (100.0%)
No, it encourages teenage sex.    
  0 (0.0%)
Other.    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: freediver on: Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:19pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
free condoms for 12yo's (Read 2171 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
free condoms for 12yo's
Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:46am

Condom alarm for under-aged teenagers

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Condom-alarm-for-underaged-teenagers/2007/11/02/1193619091480.html

Children as young as 12-years-old could be given condoms by texting a new mobile phone service.

Hundreds of school students have already received free condoms four days after the mobile service was introduced, News Ltd newspapers reported.

The service has coincided with end-of-school celebrations.

Parents are angry at a health organisation's "text-ed" campaign, saying it encourages under-age sex.

After a week into the "TXT 4 free condomz" drive, Marie Stopes International has received 400 messages.

But Marie Stopes say they aim to reduce sexually transmitted infections.

The Australian Family Association said the condom delivery encouraged children and teenagers to have sex.

"This is sending kids a very clear message that sex is expected of them at school formals or end-of-school celebrations, and that should certainly not be the case," AFA Victorian president Angela Conway said.

Parents Victoria president Elaine Crowle said: "This is also encouraging kids to sneak around. Teenagers should be talking to their parents and getting advice about these issues."

But Marie Stopes' Australian acting chief executive Jill Michelson said providing free condoms was not alarming because under-age teenagers could buy them.

"We request people texting in to get the permission of the bill payer," Ms Michelson said.

"Yes, there is no age limit, so that is a concern, but kids can get free condoms at health centres anyway without producing ID."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

LowTideJettyJumper

OzPolitic

Re: free condoms for 12yo's
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:07pm

You know, have you ever thought that they can't buy water balloons in there local shop? Maybe there using condoms as waterballoons? hello?!

I went jetty jumping at low tide and broke both of my ankles.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
California girls...
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:43pm

1 in 4 teenaged US girls have had sexually-transmitted disease: study

http://news.smh.com.au/1-in-4-teenaged-us-girls-have-had-sexuallytransmitted-disease-study/20080312-1yxl.html

One in four teenaged girls in the United Sates has been infected with at least one sexually transmitted disease, according to a study released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The first study to examine the combined national prevalence of common STDs among adolescent women in the United States estimates that at least 3.2 million teens aged 14 to 19 are currently infected.

Since the study only tested for the four most common sexually transmitted diseases, it is possible that the total prevalence among US teens is greater than the study's rate of 26 percent, the authors warned.

pole dancing for shool students:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169517549/512#512

Inquiry to examine sexualisation of kids

http://news.smh.com.au/inquiry-to-examine-sexualisation-of-kids/20080312-1yxw.html

The sexualisation of children in the media is to be investigated by a Senate inquiry.

Democrats leader Lyn Allison succeeded in winning government and opposition support to have the upper house's environment, communications and arts committee examine the issue.

The inquiry, due to report by June 23, will consider the beneficiaries and sources of premature sexualisation of children in the mainstream media, including advertising.

The committee will review evidence about the effect the viewing or purchase of sexualising images and products has on people's attitudes, beliefs, sexuality and mental health.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
condoms machines in high schools
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:19pm

I just posted a poll about making condoms available in schools. The original suggestion I saw included other contraceptives, but I think you would need medical advice for most other options.

Most condom vending machines are in nightclubs, where high school students cannot get access easily.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print