Send Topic Print
Jared Diamond @ UQ (Read 1936 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jared Diamond @ UQ
Oct 22nd, 2007 at 11:52am

Jared Diamond will be doing a presentation at The University of Queensland tomorrow (23/10/07). No idea what it is about. It is his only public appearance for this trip to Australia.

Event:                                                Jared Diamond - Seminar

Time:                                                  2pm – 3.15pm

Date:                                                  Tuesday 23rd October

some of his books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond#Books

http://www.uq.edu.au/events/event_view.php?event_id=3711
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007 at 4:34pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Oil companies protecting the environment
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:19pm

The lecture was interesting, though I think I have heard a lot of it before. He focussed on why some companies go to great lengths to reduce their ecological footprint while others are very destructive. Basically it comes down to the nature of the industry and the incentives. I think that this is a very valuable message for environmentalists.

He started with an interesting example of the Kikori oilfield in PNG. In contrast to Bouganville, which is currently a $4billion asset sitting idle, responsible for perhaps 100000 deaths, Kikori is profitable and earning a good reputation for the companies involved. It was started by Chevron Texaco and has been taken over by a local company called Oilsearch. They provide funding for independent ecological auditors (WWF) to monitor wildlife. What they found is that birds and mammals were far more abundant and diverse within the oil company property than elsewhere. The immediate reasons for this are:

• strictly enforced protection from hunters – any employee caught hunting or in possession is fired
  • the oil wells are winched in rather than driven in over roads – minimal pollution and destruction

What they had effectively created was the largest national park in PNG.

These expenses and strict rules had a number of payoffs for the company:

• PNG is an extremely litigous society. You have to compensate locals for every tree you chop down, depending on it’s value or what birds of paradise are in it. The locals will even plant coffee trees along planned roads to get compensation. The measures taken minimised these expenses.
  • PNG is a functioning democracy with privately owned land. As Bouganville demonstrated, the locals will shut down a plant if they don’t think it is in their best interest to let it operate. They will vent their anger over any environmental destruction. The policies minimised this risk.
  • It is cheaper to avoid than clean up messes. For example, an oil spill about ten metres long can cost $100000 to clean up.
  • Environmental standards are increasing globally. It is cheaper to build a state of the art plant that exceeds local standards than to build a compliant one that must be retrofitted later.
  • It improves employee moral. This is especially valuable for well educated, fly in fly out employees, who get hassled back at home about working for an oil company. Good employees are increasingly hard to come by.
  • The areas recieves 18m of rain each year (highest in the world). The absence of roads greatly reduced the incidence of landslides.
  • A large, unanticipated payoff – Chevron wne ton to win a bid for a contract with the Norwegian government, even though their price was higher. This contract was far more valuable than the Kikori oilfield. Oilsearch has also been shortlisted for a project in an overpopulated, 3rd world country, even though their bid was also more expensive.

What causes the variation around the world in how environmentally responsible companies are? Diamond gave tow factors:

• variation between the inherent nature of a business
  • variation in incentives

Some industries are inherently dirtier, so for those companies to clean up their act costs a lot more and is harder to justify. The oil industry for example has far less waste (tailings) to dispose of than most mining industries. Gold and platinum mines typically get about 1 part in 5 million as metal, the rest is waste. However it is still possible to get huge variation in how cleanly companies dispose of the tailings.

Incentives includes laws, fines, bonds (insurance against damage), tax credits, direct public action (boycotts, embarrassment of companies etc. These act to ‘level the playing field, so that companies do not find themselves at a competitive disadvantage from protecting the environment. Without a social requirement, dirty practices become more profitable and will proliferate. In the Kikori project, protection of the pipeline -  a huge investment – was a strong incentive to protect the environment. Loggers do not leave fixed assets so they do not have the same incentive.

Companies always complain about new regulation and predict the death of the industry etc. For example, American coal companies complained that rehabilitation work would make coal mines unprofitable. They convinced the government, up until the Buffalo creek disaster of 1972 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Creek_Flood - 125 dead, 1121 injuries, 4000 left homeless etc). Then the government took action and required coal mines to rehabilitate land after they have finished. The dire predictions of the coal industry did not eventuate.

What about moral responsibility?

[my view – expecting companies to go beyond the law and act morally is simply naive and also ignores the fact that people have varying moral standards]

Jared had some good points about demanding companies act morally. They are unworkable. Societies and governments have a moral responsibility to set up the necessary incentives for companies to act responsibly. Why should a comapny do something if the public doesn’t care?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Oil companies protecting the environment
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:25pm

Powerful opponents

Large companies have a lot of money to spend on political donations (ie bribes) and advertising. While this makes it more difficult, it can (and must) be overcome. For example, leach heap gold mining companies were successful for some time in a US state in campaigning against better standards. They outspent environmental organisations 10:1. However, eventually the public got sick of it and banned the practice completely – which sent a powerful message to all gold mines around the world. The risk of citizen overreaction if companies succeed in interfering with the political process is significant. Political action (like democracy itself) is difficult, but the best way to achieve change.

Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge

Jared claimed that contrary to the rhetoric of George Bush, oil companies would prefer not to extract oil from the Alaskan National Wildlife Reserve – a controversial issue in the US. There is not a lot of oil there to begin with, and they don’t want to risk a public backlash.

Australia's greenhouse emissions

On the issue of greenhouse emissions and Australia’s seemingly small role in the total global emissions, he pointed out that only two developed nations have refused to ratify Kyoto. By ratifying, Australia will make a huge difference by completely isolating the US. China and India are far more likely to take more action if the US does.

Fishing, the commons

Jared branched out into hunting and fishing. He cited the wild Alaskan Salmon fishery and the Australian rock lobster fishery as examples of sustainable industries. Sustainable logging and fishing in PNG is not common. There are no national parks, but villages can set up local WMA’s (Wildlife Management Areas) for which the government grants them the right to exclude other hunters. Alaskan Salmon fishermen approached the government to set up a level playing field with a much higher standard. It is now the best managed fishery in the US.

On managing common resources (‘commons’) in general, he referred to Elinor Ostrom, who provides several key factors necessary for reaching agreement on the sustainable management of commons. These include homogeneity among stakeholders (shared values, culture, language etc) to aid communication, the ability to exclude others, and the belief that the lifestyle and the resource will be passed on to children.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print