Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Women the greener sex (Read 10102 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Women the greener sex
Oct 18th, 2007 at 9:41pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Women-the-greener-sex-survey/2007/10/18/1192300944158.html

Women are the greener of the sexes, a new survey has found.

The poll of 2,000 Australians by energy company AGL found women were more likely to make eco-friendly decisions, even if that meant forking out more at the cash register.

It found 36 per cent of women actively looked for environmentally sensitive purchases, compared to 29 per cent of men.

Women were also more likely to chose white goods, groceries and electronics that were better for the environment.

The survey also found Queensland was the most environmentally-minded state, leading the way in actively reducing household consumption, using grey water and choosing environmentally friendly cleaners.

But they failed in their willingness to use environmentally-friendly shopping bags, with only 32 per cent of Queenslanders taking their green bags to the supermarket, compared to 40 per cent nationally.

Aussies would pay more for green energy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Aussies-would-pay-more-for-green-energy/2007/10/18/1192300940683.html

Most Australians are willing to pay more for green energy, but their enthusiasm for clean power is outstripped by citizens of large developing countries, a survey has found.

The global poll found 88 per cent of Australians were willing to switch to an environmentally friendly energy provider and a majority would be prepared to pay 10 per cent extra.

The Accenture poll was conducted online in July and August with about 7,500 people worldwide, including 500 Australians.

Fifty-six per cent would be prepared to change providers if clean energy was not available.

This was just above the global average but well below the 76 per cent of Brazilians who would take the same action.

Only 34 per cent of Americans shared the same sentiment.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2007 at 9:49pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Women the greener sex
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:00pm

Of course women are the greener sex- most of them don't have to fork out the bills for the purchase and are in general they are more easily persuaded by the 'guilt' factor Grin

In all seriousness, surveys mean diddly squat in real terms except to try and sway public opinion

I bet with enough resources anyone could come up with a survey that has found that the time and effort produced by energy companies performing surveys actually negates the use of 'eco-star  Roll Eyes' ratings on their products.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:04pm

Are these the same women who sob their way through a box of Kleenex each per day?

I dispute that finding.  Take a look at any shopping centre; all the products (well, most of the products) are targeted at women - they are gargantuan consumers of goods.  How many make up containers do men chuck away?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:43pm

deepthought - women are the "shoppers" of the world.
Proof being the number of mens clothing shops at your local mall vs the womens clothing shops.
Funny thing, womens fashions are recession proof, mens are not.

Men make the money, women spend it.
Who do you want to sell to ??

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 10:05am

In all seriousness, surveys mean diddly squat in real terms except to try and sway public opinion

I thought they tried to measure public opinion. You only have to look at the shelves at the local supermarket to know that someone is buying 'green'.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 6:52pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:43pm:
deepthought - women are the "shoppers" of the world.
Proof being the number of mens clothing shops at your local mall vs the womens clothing shops.
Funny thing, womens fashions are recession proof, mens are not.

Men make the money, women spend it.
Who do you want to sell to ??

As an environmentalist I want to sell to men who will wear the same undies for years until they fall apart, won't even bother with a zillion household appliances, don't mess around wasting water washing their bed linen all that often and eat from the same pot they cooked in.

As a businessman I want to sell to women who buy new shoes every day, have every single appliance ever invented, use their mobile phones non stop and never wear the same dress twice.

As consumers and resource wasters women win hands down.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 6:56pm

Yeah, think of all the fast cars and flash boats that women buy.  Tongue

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 7:22pm

freediver wrote on Oct 19th, 2007 at 6:56pm:
Yeah, think of all the fast cars and flash boats that women buy.  Tongue

I dunno about boats but women buy half of all cars sold I expect.  And they seem most likely to be roaring off to the shop in a gas guzzling SUV as I believe they outnumber men in 4WD purchases.

Quote:
"A lot of surveys say many women are involved in the decision and we are seeing a lot of women there negotiating the transaction.

"Many women come in without a partner or father figure. It's normal to see women coming in and picking out a car. They seem very well informed, they have done more formal research.

"A lot of men are more naturally aware of all the different models and the pricing because they seem to be more car oriented. A lot of the women do more formal research through the internet or magazines."

Allen said Denmac Ford receives more inquiries from women for SUV vehicles than men.

"I think in most cases they are the primary driver (of SUVs). They are doing the hard miles."

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,21042331-5001400,00.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 7:26pm

I dunno about boats but women buy half of all cars sold I expect.

By value or by number of cars?

I believe they outnumber men in $WD purchases.

I know plenty of men who own and drive them. I don't know any women who do. The impression I get from them is that they don't like driving them.

A lot of the women do more formal research

Formal research eh? Into which car goes fastest? OR which is most fuel efficient?

Allen said Denmac Ford receives more inquiries from women for SUV vehicles than men.

that's an itneresting way of implying they actually buy more. Something to do with more research perhaps?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 7:56pm

freediver wrote on Oct 19th, 2007 at 7:26pm:
I dunno about boats but women buy half of all cars sold I expect.

By value or by number of cars?

I believe they outnumber men in $WD purchases.

I know plenty of men who own and drive them. I don't know any women who do. The impression I get from them is that they don't like driving them.

A lot of the women do more formal research

Formal research eh? Into which car goes fastest? OR which is most fuel efficient?

that's an itneresting way of implying they actually buy more. Something to do with more research perhaps?

By number I should think - figures indicate women influence close to 80% of all car purchases and they alone have driven 4WD sales higher -

Quote:
The characteristics and attitudes of drivers of luxury 4WDs differ markedly from those of large 4WDs. Three quarters of luxury 4WDs are driven by city dwellers, with just over half (53 per cent) being women and just under half (46 per cent) aged between 35 and 49 years. A quarter of this group earns more than $100,000 per year compared with less than four per cent for the population as a whole

PDF Link

But that's just cars mate.  As users of products they leave men in their perfumed wake.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 11:37pm

depthought -

Yes entirely.  Only have to look at ALL the STUFF women have to see who the shoppers are.

Their consumption habits begger belief. How many shoe shops do they have ??

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 4:39pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 20th, 2007 at 11:37pm:
depthought -

Yes entirely.  Only have to look at ALL the STUFF women have to see who the shoppers are.

I reckon those who believe women consume less doesn't live with one or is being dishonest.  My girlfriend buys clothes at the rate of ten to one with me and she has dozens of pairs of shoes.  I don't.  She uses cosmetics and cleansers and perfumes and I use none.   She wears tights/panty hose and I don't (except on weekends) and she will drive to the shop to buy stuff because she can't carry the shopping home whereas I will walk and hump the bags home.

Crikey, as a consumer I am practically in hibernation by comparison.

I do however produce more methane for some reason known only to God.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:44pm

Deepthought - hahahaha

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:48pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:44pm:
Deepthought - hahahaha

Grin

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 7:58am

deepthought wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 4:39pm:
depthought -

Yes entirely.  Only have to look at ALL the STUFF women have to see who the shoppers are.

I reckon those who believe women consume less doesn't live with one or is being dishonest.  My girlfriend buys clothes at the rate of ten to one with me and she has dozens of pairs of shoes.  I don't.  She uses cosmetics and cleansers and perfumes and I use none.   She wears tights/panty hose and I don't (except on weekends) and she will drive to the shop to buy stuff because she can't carry the shopping home whereas I will walk and hump the bags home.

Greetings again Deepthought. Still playing with steriotypes and urban myth I see. Good for you. What a vision of light in the relm of Misinformation you are. Stand proud Salesman. Brilliant Bamboozlement is yours.  Grin

Dare I mention the male products that sooth their Vanity?

Anyways... Capitalisation, Liberalsim, Enterprise, Economies of Scale, Marketing and Advertising are Male inventions... male ideas. If you would say then that women are dangerous consumers, I will counter and say male ideas that males encourage unfairly take advantage of womanhood.  Cool

Women are the greener sex. (Rock on gender wars.  Smiley)

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 10:12am

Women also tend to be the ones who do the grocery shopping.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 4:18pm

freediver wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 10:12am:
Women also tend to be the ones who do the grocery shopping.

Men tend to be the ones building grocery stores.  Grin

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 6:36pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 7:58am:
deepthought wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 4:39pm:
depthought -

I reckon those who believe women consume less doesn't live with one or is being dishonest.  My girlfriend buys clothes at the rate of ten to one with me and she has dozens of pairs of shoes.  I don't.  She uses cosmetics and cleansers and perfumes and I use none.   She wears tights/panty hose and I don't (except on weekends) and she will drive to the shop to buy stuff because she can't carry the shopping home whereas I will walk and hump the bags home.

Greetings again Deepthought. Still playing with steriotypes and urban myth I see. Good for you. What a vision of light in the relm of Misinformation you are. Stand proud Salesman. Brilliant Bamboozlement is yours.  Grin

Dare I mention the male products that sooth their Vanity?

Anyways... Capitalisation, Liberalsim, Enterprise, Economies of Scale, Marketing and Advertising are Male inventions... male ideas. If you would say then that women are dangerous consumers, I will counter and say male ideas that males encourage unfairly take advantage of womanhood.  Cool

Women are the greener sex. (Rock on gender wars.  Smiley)

??????

I'm afraid you lost me there Sappho.     Though I am impressed with your attack on the good old mother tongue, her grammatical imperatives and the way she is spelled.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 7:37pm

deepthought wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 6:36pm:
I'm afraid you lost me there Sappho.     Though I am impressed with your attack on the good old mother tongue, her grammatical imperatives and the way she is spelled.

Yes I must say my exploration of the language and her delicious spelling habits is only surpassed by Shakesphere himself. That I may, and in his honour, proclaim to all, in here and out, my will, though humble and meek, is a will that dreams sublime of a day in language creation, that is mine.

Otherwise, women are not less green than men is all I'm saying Deepthought.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:00pm

Do you think they are more green?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:40pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 7:37pm:
Yes I must say my exploration of the language and her delicious spelling habits is only surpassed by Shakesphere himself. That I may, and in his honour, proclaim to all, in here and out, my will, though humble and meek, is a will that dreams sublime of a day in language creation, that is mine.

Otherwise, women are not less green than men is all I'm saying Deepthought.

I've met that bloke Brad Shakespeare and despite his annoying habit of calling himself 'The Brad' he's not a bad sort of fellow.  Can't bloody spell though - I think he's dyslexic.

That aside mate, how about a little evidence that "women are not less green than men".  I'm afraid your empty claim doesn't cut it when all around is the evidence of rampant consumerism driven by women.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:49pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:59am

deepthought wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:40pm:
That aside mate, how about a little evidence that "women are not less green than men".  I'm afraid your empty claim doesn't cut it when all around is the evidence of rampant consumerism driven by women.

Have you no eyes that can see Deepthought? Nivia have a new range of beauty products for men and they are not the only brand to jump on the male vanity wagon. CK, Hugo and a range of others display their wares in department stores now to the resounding approval of the Metroman.

You're not a metroman eh? Hmmm... are you a hardware man then? Maybe a boating man? Huntin' Fishin' man, perchance an inventing man? Maybe cars are your buzz... or trucks... or bikes?

None of these? Maybe you are a cycling man with skin tight lycra, shoes and stream lined helmet using the roads and threatening the pedestrians with your lack of registration before stopping in for a well earned latte and bottled water whilst flicking the weekend papers and chatting with your mates.

Am I still of the mark? Hmmm.... could you be a drinking man then living though the bottle of wishful consumerism?

No evidence is needed Deepthought since it is still the case that the equalizing of women is yet complete. And whilst MEN invented and still control consumerism... Men remain the greater of the two evils.  Smiley

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 12:22pm

sappho wrote

Quote:
Anyways... Capitalisation, Liberalsim, Enterprise, Economies of Scale, Marketing and Advertising are Male inventions... male ideas.

please expand sappho?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 12:26pm

In my experience it is men who waste more money on consumerist junk. Maybe not the same things like makeup, but usually far more expensive and environmentally destructive things. They also work a lot harder to earn the money to waste on these things.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:04pm

oceanz wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 12:22pm:
sappho wrote

Quote:
Anyways... Capitalisation, Liberalsim, Enterprise, Economies of Scale, Marketing and Advertising are Male inventions... male ideas.

please expand sappho?

All I'm really saying is that the ideas and mechanisms that celebrate consumerism come from a patriarchy and that feminism has not affected that, but rather seeks to compete with men on men's terms, those terms being Capitalism.

Women are merely followers of the male drive to have more and more stuff.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #25 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:17pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:04pm:
sappho wrote

Quote:

please expand sappho?

All I'm really saying is that the ideas and mechanisms that celebrate consumerism come from a patriarchy and that feminism has not affected that, but rather seeks to compete with men on men's terms, those terms being Capitalism.

and you'd be right-on most points-but are we really "followers" of the male drive to have more and more stuff-does this not come from desire?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #26 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:26pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:59am:
deepthought wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:40pm:

Have you no eyes that can see Deepthought? Nivia have a new range of beauty products for men and they are not the only brand to jump on the male vanity wagon. CK, Hugo and a range of others display their wares in department stores now to the resounding approval of the Metroman.

You're not a metroman eh? Hmmm... are you a hardware man then? Maybe a boating man? Huntin' Fishin' man, perchance an inventing man? Maybe cars are your buzz... or trucks... or bikes?

None of these? Maybe you are a cycling man with skin tight lycra, shoes and stream lined helmet using the roads and threatening the pedestrians with your lack of registration before stopping in for a well earned latte and bottled water whilst flicking the weekend papers and chatting with your mates.

Am I still of the mark? Hmmm.... could you be a drinking man then living though the bottle of wishful consumerism?

No evidence is needed Deepthought since it is still the case that the equalizing of women is yet complete. And whilst MEN invented and still control consumerism... Men remain the greater of the two evils.  Smiley

How utterly extraordinary.  Nivea have a range of 'metroman' cosmetics for the girly man?  Good luck to them.  Hope their boyfriends like their eye shadow.

And I expect you're missing out on one of the great revolutions of our time - I hope you can handle this next announcement - women like hardware too!  At least at my local Bunnings.  A good chum of mine at Uni rides a motorbike though I don't - but she's female.  And I have seen girls on bicycles too.  Amazing huh?

In fact all the stuff you mention is done by both men and women - but only women buy clothes by the truckful, shoes by the dozen, handbags, stockings, lip gloss, a new household appliance for every purpose and make the Cheesecake Shop franchisees rich.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:31pm

So women can be singled out for buying too much of certain items, but when it comes to fishing gear, dirtbikes and computers, you should treat them as equals?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #28 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:40pm

freediver wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:31pm:
So women can be singled out for buying too much of certain items, but when it comes to fishing gear, dirtbikes and computers, you should treat them as equals?

Yep.  They are.  As men (except Sappho's 'metromen') don't buy lots of stuff that is unique to women.  Take a look at the magazine industry for example.

The biggest three sellers are Australian Women’s Weekly, Woman’s Day and New Idea.  Men's mags don't even come close.  How many trees are lost to produce a million plus magazines a month?
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2007 at 8:01pm by deepthought »  
IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 4:06pm

oceanz wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:17pm:
sappho wrote

Quote:

please expand sappho?

and you'd be right-on most points-but are we really "followers" of the male drive to have more and more stuff-does this not come from desire?

We follow the ideas of men and form our desires from that male conceptual construct. Have you noticed how many men there are controlling the 'fashion industry' perhaps? I hear it's a gay man's paradise.  Grin

And it is only in recent times that men have done away with makeup... and most have also given up the wig, lace, frills, satin and silk. We have so many paintings of men dress in frills and lace and madeup, it seems a joke to blame all this girly stuff on merely girls.

And what about that slick stuff that men would put in their hair during the dawn of rock and roll, forever putting a comb through in an apparently cool way, to keep it looking good. Let's go back further to the starch in their collars and cuffs.

And men are returning to the girly stuff too I notice. We have the metro male. Now Deepthought may like to discount them in his reflections but that merely reflects his age and lack of contact with teen males and 20 somethings.

OHG the smelly stuff they use. Repulsive to the nose they are, but these young boys will stink out a train or office with the stuff.

Advance hair anyone.... Yeah yeah! Or maybe you need those grey bits covered. Pfft.... men are vain.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #30 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 6:44pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 25th, 2007 at 4:06pm:
oceanz wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:17pm:
sappho wrote

Quote:

please expand sappho?

We follow the ideas of men and form our desires from that male conceptual construct. Have you noticed how many men there are controlling the 'fashion industry' perhaps? I hear it's a gay man's paradise.  Grin

And it is only in recent times that men have done away with makeup... and most have also given up the wig, lace, frills, satin and silk. We have so many paintings of men dress in frills and lace and madeup, it seems a joke to blame all this girly stuff on merely girls.

And what about that slick stuff that men would put in their hair during the dawn of rock and roll, forever putting a comb through in an apparently cool way, to keep it looking good. Let's go back further to the starch in their collars and cuffs.

And men are returning to the girly stuff too I notice. We have the metro male. Now Deepthought may like to discount them in his reflections but that merely reflects his age and lack of contact with teen males and 20 somethings.

OHG the smelly stuff they use. Repulsive to the nose they are, but these young boys will stink out a train or office with the stuff.

Advance hair anyone.... Yeah yeah! Or maybe you need those grey bits covered. Pfft.... men are vain.

Yes, I only go to a university with 30,000 of them.

Cheesy

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Women struggle to manage money: report
Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:56pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/women-struggle-to-manage-money-report/2007/11/13/1194766670408.html

While many women can find that delicate balance in juggling family, work and social lives, a new study shows they still struggle when it comes to finances.

The study, released on Tuesday by Citibank, found many women still lacked financial know-how and were still lagging behind men in their knowledge of money matters.

The survey also found almost 1.5 million Australian women would last only one week on their current savings if they lost their job and still had to pay their usual bills.

The report also found 23 per cent of women rarely saved any money from their salary and only 13 per cent of women were very optimistic about their financial future.

The research suggested ignorance, apathy, lack of confidence, time pressures and over-reliance on men were problems facing women when it came to managing their finances.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Women struggle to manage money: report
Reply #32 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:56pm:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/women-struggle-to-manage-money-report/2007/11/13/1194766670408.html

While many women can find that delicate balance in juggling family, work and social lives, a new study shows they still struggle when it comes to finances.

The study, released on Tuesday by Citibank, found many women still lacked financial know-how and were still lagging behind men in their knowledge of money matters.

The survey also found almost 1.5 million Australian women would last only one week on their current savings if they lost their job and still had to pay their usual bills.

The report also found 23 per cent of women rarely saved any money from their salary and only 13 per cent of women were very optimistic about their financial future.

The research suggested ignorance, apathy, lack of confidence, time pressures and over-reliance on men were problems facing women when it came to managing their finances.

. . . . and consuming like nobody's business.

If they stopped polluting the planet with their vast purchases they would have more bucks left over.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Green groups slam men's razor packaging
Reply #33 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 2:35pm

Green groups slam men's razor packaging

http://news.smh.com.au/green-groups-slam-mens-razor-packaging/20071213-1gtl.html

A razor encased in plastic, cardboard and paper has been named as the worst offender for environmentally damaging packaging by Victoria's peak environment body.

The Gillette Fusion razor, made by Proctor and Gamble, won Environment Victoria's Golden DUMP award for its "gratuitous use of packaging", and the award for Excessive Use of Material.

The annual DUMP - Dangerous and Useless Materials in Packaging - awards expose the seven worst types of environmentally damaging packaging being sold on supermarket shelves.

How to spend an ethically-correct Christmas

http://news.smh.com.au/how-to-spend-an-ethicallycorrect-christmas/20071213-1gwr.html

Want to spend an environmentally ethically correct Christmas this year? Then switch off the Christmas lights, opt for oysters for dinner, and forget about stuffing stockings with hi-tech gadgets.

Climate experts say there is no single quick-fix solution against the mega wastage of the festive season, but there are a number of common-sense ways of enjoying Christmas without causing undue harm to the planet.

"Each one of us in our own small way can take a series of steps to limit the impact of Christmas on the environment," Nadia Boeglin, of France's Agency for the Environment and Control of Energy (ADEME), told AFP.

Not just a single step, she insisted, such as buying recycled wrapping paper for example, but a lot of steps that set end-to-end can reduce a carbon footprint.

Take Christmas trees, for example. This year's tree should be small and purchased with its roots, potted or not, said Gaelle Bouttier-Guerive of the WWF global conservation organisation. That way it can be left outside on a balcony or be planted in the garden for use again the following year.

For the Christmas meal, go for old-fashioned cloth napkins and porcelain plates rather than throw-away paper plates and napkins, and prepare a meal of local seasonal produce, organic if possible, she said.

Should you opt for caviar, from the endangered sturgeon, carefully check its origin as there is much contraband caviar about, or choose farmed caviar instead.

Oysters, a year-end favourite in France though not popular everywhere, are good for the environment, said Jancovici. They function like tiny carbon-wells that absorb CO2 to build their shells. "It's better for the environment to eat oysters than to eat a big slice of red meat," he said.

Choosing fish is also an environmentally-stacked issue as many species have been decimated by fishing. Atlantic salmon and swordfish are to be avoided at all costs, according to WWF, which instead recommends trout or sea bass.

Note too that fish sold with the MSC label (Marine Stewardship Council) are fish caught with sustainable methods.

As to dessert, make it yourself to avoid cakes stuffed with unhealthy additives and sugar.

But the real key to a waste-reducing Christmas "is to remember everything you ended up throwing away last year to avoid buying too much this time round," said Boeglin.

And the worst environmental hazard of all are useless potentially polluting gifts -- gagdets first and foremost.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:24pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:09am

I don't really think they're the greener sex. I'm a man and I'm going to "Greenify" (for lack of a better expression) my house once I get one.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:46am

What do you live in now?

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Unfortunately I live with my parents (I'm only 18) in what I'm not proud to say is a house bereft of green technology (i.e. no solar panels etc.)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Swedes pay 'top dollar' for green Christmas
Reply #37 - Dec 16th, 2007 at 8:53am

http://news.smh.com.au/swedes-pay-top-dollar-for-green-christmas/20071215-1ha9.html

Swedes are set to pay top-dollar for a clean, environmentally-friendly conscience this Christmas -- but are not about to change their high-consumption habits, experts say.

"We're seeing that consumers are becoming more and more interested in 'green products', especially for Christmas," Swedish Trade Federation spokeswoman Margareta Ternell told AFP.

"We're talking about everything, from what lands on the dinner table, like organic hams, to clothing made from organic cotton. Organic jeans are very popular this year, for instance," Ternell said.

In just the first six months of the year, the trade group saw a 130-percent increase in sales of fair trade products, which guarantee decent pay for producers and aim to enhance social, economic and environmental development in regions where the goods are made.

Study says men use more energy than women

http://news.smh.com.au/world/study-says-men-use-more-energy-than-women-20080612-2p7b.html

Swedish men consume far more energy than women, especially when it comes to transportation, a study by the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI) indicated Wednesday.

"Single men consume, according to our calculations, about 20 percent more energy than single women," FOI said in a 60-page report.

The figures appeared strongly linked to the fact that women are statistically more concerned about the impact of their personal energy consumption on the environment, the group added.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:15pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print