Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
No take zones are already here! why have more! (Read 15180 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: No take zones are already here! why have more!
Reply #15 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 11:14am

I suspect he followed me from one of the old fishing forums. There was a large group of angry old men trying to get me banned from the internet for my dangerous views.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 9:41pm

I would have enjoyed seeing you in action.
This place must be tame in comparison - the likes of Aussie, Monk and the other Trolls must be guppies.  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 8:58am

Get off your knees & wipe your chin Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 4:56pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 9th, 2021 at 8:58am:
Get off your knees & wipe your chin Roll Eyes

Is that what you call not biting the hand that feeds you?

If this was House FD, I guess I'm one of those members who leaves his shoes at the door when I walk in. If that makes me an 'arse-licker, crawler, etc' - then  Roll Eyes Should I walk mud through FD's house like the Trolls do - to prove some point? A lame point of expressing Australian 'tall poppy' maybe? Can't be bothered with than sorry.
I don't grovel to FD, I don't think he likes people pissing in his pocket, nor would I (snakes in the grass). FD has banned both Auggie & I for giving him some stick. The guy only puts up with so much. I'm not here to waste my time bringing the 'owner' down to prove some point of Egalitarianism as if 'he' has to bow down to us. FD and I have some similar activity tastes so I can relate to him a bit.

Anyway, enjoy Gnads.
That's all I have to say about that for now.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 2:49pm

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 11:14am:
I suspect he followed me from one of the old fishing forums. There was a large group of angry old men trying to get me banned from the internet for my dangerous views.

Well I didn't know you were old enough to remember when size limits were introduced.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 2:52pm

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 10:35am:
Quote:
Anyway, while diving around the Poor Knight Islands in New Zealand. I was told that after the success of Goat Island NO TAKE ZONING, the Poor Knights became the next big thing.
But at first 'all' of the Fishermen were against it.
But after 6 years and an increase in catch sizes and sizes of the species themselves - the Fishermen were very pleased as they benefited from the 'Spillover Effect' of the PK NO TAKE ZONE.

That tends to be the way. Minimum sizes were initially met with the same hostility. Now most fishermen adopt them as a personal moral code, complete with an absurd mythology about returning it and catching it again when it is bigger. Minimum sizes are pretty silly as management strategies go. They reduce the total catch (by weight, not number obviously).

When fisheries management is in place what usually happens is the catch goes down by a similar proportion to the area closed to fishing - ie no dicernable spillover effect.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 3:35pm

pjb05 wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 2:52pm:
Quote:
Anyway, while diving around the Poor Knight Islands in New Zealand. I was told that after the success of Goat Island NO TAKE ZONING, the Poor Knights became the next big thing.
But after 6 years and an increase in catch sizes and sizes of the species themselves - the Fishermen were very pleased as they benefited from the 'Spillover Effect' of the PK NO TAKE ZONE.

That tends to be the way. Minimum sizes were initially met with the same hostility. Now most fishermen adopt them as a personal moral code, complete with an absurd mythology about returning it and catching it again when it is bigger. Minimum sizes are pretty silly as management strategies go. They reduce the total catch (by weight, not number obviously).

When fisheries management is in place what usually happens is the catch goes down by a similar proportion to the area closed to fishing - ie no dicernable spillover effect.

Welcome back PJ Cool
I might be having a mind-blank with your post, sorry. But can you clarify for this dummy? Embarrassed

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 3:49pm

pjb05 wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 2:52pm:
Quote:

Crap.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:16pm

freediver wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 3:49pm:
Crap.

Care to try again with something resembling an argument? And meanwhile you can have a look at this which draws similar conclusions. It has links to research which includes modelling. When the modelling and the real world experience says the same thing it's time to re think your beliefs:

https://theconversation.com/marine-parks-and-fishery-management-whats-the-best-w
ay-to-protect-fish-66274

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:22pm

[url]https://theconversation.com/marine-parks-and-fishery-management-whats-the-best-w

ay-to-protect-fish-66274[/url]
Hey, it won't project it as a link under hyperlink  Huh

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:35pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:22pm:
[url]https://theconversation.com/marine-parks-and-fishery-management-whats-the-best-w

Well just google up The Conversation and use it's search function. Or here is the most relevant part:

"This is consistent with modelling of marine parks that shows they only increase overall fish populations when there has been severe overfishing. This generally means that if there’s already effective traditional fisheries management, marine reserves cannot benefit fish stocks and fisheries, or restock fish outside the reserve (spillover) (see also here).

In jurisdictions where fisheries management is lacking, any regulation, including through marine reserves, is better than nothing. But this isn’t the situation with Australia’s Commonwealth fisheries where harvest strategies are used and overfishing has been eliminated.

The conclusions from modelling of marine reserves mean that the areas of the reserves that limit fishing would be expected to reduce fishery production and harm our ability to contribute to global food security".
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:52pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:54pm

pjb05 wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:35pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:22pm:

Well just google up The Conversation and use it's search function.

I did. Just wondering why it didn't come up auto on the hyperlink as usual?
Just read it. Two things stood out - the reluctance to restrict Recreational Fishing limits as Recreational Fishing has probably  quadrupled since 2000 and since more restrictions on Commercial (as one year, 76 Recreational 'Aboriginals' in NSW were found to be selling their catches to businesses under the table, 42 non-aboriginal were also caught).
The other is $$$ of course.

Five Islands near Wollongong would make a great NO TAKE ZONE. Fish love Bommies, Reefs and small Islands - which are like motel rooms and provide sanctuary. Give em a safe place and they'll be as bountiful as Raratonga is to sharks from the Chinese nets.
NZ Spearfish now 'rotate' their zones as 50% of the fish leave the area due to stress at seeing their species being predated upon by spearos. Would you stay in an area full of lions?
As long as they also stop the take of such things as Crays and other species that feed on Urchins - because Urchin Barrens not only keep fish away (less oxygen producing areas and safe cover and variety of life) - they limit diversity (and upset the Abalone industry).

There's no reason why they can't make the 5 Islands a No Take Zone - even to recreational fishers (who's numbers have swell drastically, possibly due to an increase in Promo-Fishing shows). Within 10 years there would be great change if the eco-system is allowed to regenerate.

Fish can hear a Bommie from 26kms away and they will travel to it, if it provides a better living. So wether the site has been previously damaged by fishing or not, the fact of surrounding good hot-spots being damaged would only increase the activity of a nearby spot that hasn't.

So far, in regards to sea life - we have done nothing  but 'harvest', we are slowly learning to make things grow and produce so that we can continue to Harvest. Fisheries Management don't want to think long term - that costs $$$.

Anyway, my opinion. Nothing more.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 5:13pm

So you have taken in absolutely nothing from my article - eg why exactly would a 5 Island marine park be 'great' when marine parks don't do much?

Also how did you arrive at a 400% rise in recreational fishing since 2000? And why do assume there haven't been more restrictions when there actually have been well documented changes to bag and size limits?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 5:15pm

pjb05 wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:16pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 3:49pm:
Quote:

Crap.

Care to try again with something resembling an argument? And meanwhile you can have a look at this which draws similar conclusions. It has links to research which includes modelling. When the modelling and the real world experience says the same thing it's time to re think your beliefs:

https://theconversation.com/marine-parks-and-fishery-management-whats-the-best-w
ay-to-protect-fish-66274

You are speaking out your arse. That's my argument.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 5:24pm

St Georges Basin: trawled into nothing but a silt-dead bottom and became near empty of fish (except small).
Many years later after the Trawling was stopped. It has rebounded (mostly around the the shorelines) with much aquatic plant growth. Having dived and snorkeled around the Basin, the Plants have produced a Basin that has rebounded and even offered Aust Record Tailor and other species. There is a lot there now, to the point I could catch Flatheads with my hands as I snuck through the very tall sea grass silently. Still there are sections that are devoid of much besides passing fish to the more livelier sections. It still has a long way to go.
But lets say it was never damaged. Chances are that many species would come to the Basin for a better existence (as long as the Recreationals in their ever increasing numbers - don't hammer the place down as a replacement to Commercial efforts). Like I said, fish move away from stressful areas. They would come because other places surrounding are being hit hard and damaged, maybe even because of Urchin barrens because of all the Crays being caught to feed Chinese people for $$. There would of course be a great productivity of spill-over regardless.

Checker Board: Fish in the White Squares (where there is minimal effects of enhancing breedings, like a lack of Bommies, reefs, etc) and NO TAKE in the Black Squares (where there is more stimulus to produce more life and spillover).

A Hunter-Gatherer would just take from the Spillover.
Civilisation would take the whole lot just to feed the over-populated and make the over-indulged richer on the sale.
Sustainability with a possibility of extra production would be my push.

Also, as for Artificial Reefs: Well we know the dumping of Wrecks these days is more for Dive Tourism than to benefit Aquatic species as not all Wrecks attract and hold life. The 2 Tugs at Eden are good example. One with minimal life, the other with way more.
Also - to properly do Artificial Reefs, there must be better designs suited to fish. AR's with a lot of over-hang, in my opinion would provide 'more fish'. I say this after snorkling a few days ago under a wharf with Fishers up top and all the fish right under it. Until I flushed them out for a short time (to the cheers of those above), they remain directly under and hardly ever go the bait lines hung just outside that 'over-hang' boundary.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print