Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Marine Parks as a Fisheries Management Tool (Read 114909 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Marine Parks as a Fisheries Management Tool
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:41pm

By trying to discourage boating in favour of shore fishing may even do shore based anglers harm due to overcrowding of limited spots.

That doesn't make sense. More people would only fish from the shore if it became better. The proposals I put forward will only make a limited difference to boat fishermen. It doesn't make sense to oppose the improvement of shore based fishing just in case too many people take it up.

Duh, you calling for no take zones - ie zones that ban fishing.

Fishing is only banned within the zone. Referring to it as a ban on fishing is just silly. It is either lazy or misleading.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:58pm

By trying to discourage boating in favour of shore fishing may even do shore based anglers harm due to overcrowding of limited spots.

That doesn't make sense. More people would only fish from the shore if it became better. The proposals I put forward will only make a limited difference to boat fishermen. It doesn't make sense to oppose the improvement of shore based fishing just in case too many people take it up.

It might make sense if you were a fishermen - productive and accessable land based spots are limited. The space is limited. You goal is to discourage people from going out in boats and to fish off the shore. Ie more people will be fishing off the shore. If you are somehow successful then your encouraging overcrowding of these spots. 

Duh, you calling for no take zones - ie zones that ban fishing.

Fishing is only banned within the zone. Referring to it as a ban on fishing is just silly. It is either lazy or misleading.

Duh again - I think we all know that no take zones only ban fishing within the zone. You now say that the effect on boat anglers will be small. How on earth then will this lead to significant benifits for shore based anglers?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:10pm

Ie more people will be fishing off the shore.

Yes, but not because of any real discouragement to fishing from a boat. Rather, because shore based fishing would be better. If the spots do become more popular because the fishing improves, this is a good thing. You try to create the impression it is a bad thing, just because there would be more people. You are clutching at straws for something to criticise.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:54pm

What are you responding to IQ? I did a word search for the italicised text and didn't find it on this page.

Your search skills are severely lacking then. I was responding to this "Yes they are. For example I made a suggestion...."
Making a 'suggestion' does not entail NTZ being designed in conjunction with fisheries. Fisheries being the govt department that has all the current knowledge in relation to fish and fishing. All to often, this bastion of knowledge is completely ignored.

Reducing the need to purchase or use a boat to catch a feed does make sense.

You are an idiot- people don't just purchase or use a boat to catch a feed. Your lack of understanding of the why's and wherefores of people fishing is a joke.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #34 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:52am

Quote:
You are an idiot- people don't just purchase or use a boat to catch a feed. Your lack of understanding of the why's and wherefores of people fishing is a joke.

Simply not true. Very ignorant actually.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:16pm

How is it 'simply not true'?

Explain my 'ignorance'

...or you can slink out of this thread like the retard you are and post on something you know about...like licking Ben Cousins sphincter.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 7:07am

freediver wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:10pm:
Ie more people will be fishing off the shore.

Yes, but not because of any real discouragement to fishing from a boat. Rather, because shore based fishing would be better. If the spots do become more popular because the fishing improves, this is a good thing. You try to create the impression it is a bad thing, just because there would be more people. You are clutching at straws for something to criticise.

A lot of people buy boats to get away from the crowds you have to put up with when fishing off the shore. Another flaw in the 'arms race' theory you dreamed up is that not everyone has the physical fitness to access productive landbased spots. Eg to clamber over rocks or trudge up and down beaches. Rock fishing is the most dangerous sport in Australian with scores of fatalities.

The benifits to fishing of your policy exist only in your head. If my mention of the overcrowding issue is 'clutching at straws', why is it that you have not even adressed or the other objections I have made in recent posts?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 11:52am

people don't just purchase or use a boat to catch a feed.

I didn't say they do. But it does make fishing a lot more fun. I can guarantee you that if people could catch as many fish from the shore as they could from a boat, there would be far fewer boats on the water. To suggest otherwise is to deny reality.

Another flaw in the 'arms race' theory you dreamed up is that not everyone has the physical fitness to access productive landbased spots.

The land based spots that are protected in the suggestions I put forward are far easier to access than using a boat.

PJ, you seem a bit upset about the strategy of selecting sites to protect land based anglers. You seem to dislike my motives, but I can't see how you could rationally oppose the outcome. So lets separate the selection process from the decision of whether to protect any sites or how much to protect.

Do you think it would be reasonable to close of 20% of accessible land based spots if 20% of each habitat type is closed off? That is, do you think it is unreasonable to try to avoid closing land based spots?

Do you think it is unreasonable to place a NTZ near an easily accessible land based fishing spot so that shore based anglers get the most benefit from it?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 1:38pm

I can guarantee you that if people could catch as many fish from the shore as they could from a boat, there would be far fewer boats on the water. To suggest otherwise is to deny reality.

You cannot make that guarantee. To even suggest this is a not only a denial of reality but of human nature as well- people don't purchase boats because it makes it easier to catch a fish. Your argument is ridiculous.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 1:46pm

So why do people buy fishing boats? To go water skiing?

I feel a bit silly for googling a reference on such an obvious point. Are you just playing some sort of silly game IQ?

http://www.rbff.org/uploads/Research_section/Boating_Fishing_Relationship/Boating_Fishing_Presentation.ppt

Reasons for Purchasing First Boat

A primary reason for Anglers + Boaters to purchase their first boat was to fish. [This was the only reason listed]

The directional relationship is stronger for fishing being a pathway to boating than for boating being a pathway to fishing.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:00pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:09pm

In some cases, yes- most boat owners use their boats as multi-purpose platforms

I'll state it once again- people do not buy boats because it makes it easier to catch a fish. People will still purchase boats and fish from them no matter how good the fishing is from shore.

It is a silly assumption to think otherwise

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #41 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:32pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:09pm:

In some cases, yes- most boat owners use their boats as multi-purpose platforms

. People will still purchase boats and fish from them no matter how good the fishing is from shore.

It is a silly assumption to think otherwise

No its not I know a lot of pple who purchase boats to just fish recreationally [[ a friend has one stored in my backyard actaully]] and then you have the professional fisherman..who fish for whiting and other table fish [[known as hookers in these parts]]]] who use them [[recreational craft]] to facilitate theyre livilihood and only use them for that purpose. The sales of RECREATIONAL fishing craft is huge in Australia.

IQ erroneaously states
Quote:
I'll state it once again- people do not buy boats because it makes it easier to catch a fish

Yes they do...!! Get your facts straights IQ and dont "state" until you do.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:39pm

I'll state it once again- people do not buy boats because it makes it easier to catch a fish. People will still purchase boats and fish from them no matter how good the fishing is from shore.

Technically I agree with this. There are many reasons and a few use their boats for more than one purpose and could justify owning the boat based on more than one use (a small minority of course). It is not my intention to prevent people doing so nor do I think it would be possible. However, to equate this with improved shore fishing not reducing the need for a boat is wrong. To the extent you are correct, you are completely missing the point. The majority of fishing boats are bought for fishing by owners who wouldn't bother buying a boat if it wasn't for fishing and the improved chances of catching a feed they get with a boat.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:13pm

The majority of fishing boats are bought for fishing by owners who wouldn't bother buying a boat if it wasn't for fishing and the improved chances of catching a feed they get with a boat.

You neglect to take into account the different varieties of fish and fishing techniques- A whiting/ tarwhine/ herring(tommyruff)/ tailor fisherman is not going to get improved catches from a boat.

A spanish mackeral/cobia/cod/grouper fisherman will do- and no amount of shore buffer zones will improve the catch rates of those types of fish from shore

Yes they do...!! Get your facts straights IQ and dont "state" until you do.

[ADMIN EDIT: insult removed]
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008 at 6:46pm by ozadmin »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Please don't insult other members IQ.

You appear to be trying to divide fishermen into two groups - those that will only fish from the shore due to the type of fish they target and those who will only fish from a boat due to the type of fish they target. The fact is, most fish species can be caught from both a boat and from the shore, especially if the boat fishermen targetting them are close enough to the shore to be affected by the proposal. The proposals I made will not stop people from catching those species that are genuine exceptions. A no boat fishing zone halfway up an estuarine river will not slow down a makeral fishermen. It will impact on on a boat fishermen who is targetting the same species sought by those fishing from the nearby shore, as is typically the case.

Remember that the NTZ will only divert a small fraction of spillover from boat fishermen to shore based fishermen. The majority of the spillover is still going to go to other boat fishermen, so it is not a disaster if the shore based fishermen will be unable to target them. The difference between my proposal and the more arbitrary strategy usually adopted is that as much of the benefit as possible goes to shore based fishermen, but there will always be an advantage to fishing from a boat.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:41pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27
Send Topic Print