Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Man bitten by shark in Queensland (Read 4242 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Man bitten by shark in Queensland
Oct 15th, 2007 at 11:02am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Man-bitten-by-shark-in-Queensland/2007/10/15/1192300640415.html

A man has been bitten by a shark while spear fishing off a charter boat in far north Queensland.

The 31-year-old Brisbane man was attacked by the bronze whaler on Holmes Reef, about 240km east of Cairns, about midday (AEST) Saturday, an ambulance spokesman said.

He suffered a deep, 30-centimetre tear to his calf muscle.

He was treated on the boat before being airlifted by helicopter to the Cairns Base Hospital in a stable condition.

The ambulance spokesman said the man was in "good spirits".

Any idea on why this bloke died with a life jacket on? Exposure?

Father, son survive fatal boat mishap

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Father-son-survive-fatal-boat-mishap/2007/10/15/1192300631303.html

A father and son have survived a boating mishap that left one companion dead and another still missing.

The man, 39, and his son, about 14, were found alive on the beach at Mindarie about 11pm (AWST) on Sunday, Inspector John Gibson of WA police said.

Four males were aboard a 5.5-metre fibreglass cabin cruiser that failed to return to the Mindarie Quays as planned at 5pm on Sunday.

The body of a man, thought to be about 23, was found with a lifejacket on in water about 1.8 km off the coastal community of Yanchep, north of Perth, about 8.45pm.

The search continues for a fourth male.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Re: Man bitten by shark in Queensland
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 7:13pm

A woman on a kayak got bitten recently too, up around Byron I think.  Great white apparently.

Edit:  found the story...

Quote:
A WOMAN has told of how she was sure she would die when a Great White Shark knocked her off a surf ski - until she fought it off with a paddle.

Linda Whitehurst was enjoying a morning paddle at Byron Bay with her husband Glen Whitehurst yesterday when a shark attacked her surf ski, knocking her into the water.

"I thought this is it," she said.

"I thought my leg is gone, my ankle's gone, he's going to grab a leg."

But the 52-year-old sustained only a minor bite wound to her right wrist as she fought off what she described as a 2.75m-long great white shark using only her surf ski paddle.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22591143-5007132,00.html
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2007 at 7:32pm by RecFisher »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 8:06pm

I was snorkelling off Rottnest Island two weeks ago. I got out of the water and everyone was standing there looking at me. I thought I had been too long and they were pissed of waiting, but they were all out of thew water because they had seen a large shark. One of the locals told me it was probably a great white, but they don't usually bite people. I didn't see it.

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 11:19pm

As a spearo, you would be used to seeing sharks wouldn't you FD.
I guess a GWS would be a bit spooky, I've been in the water with Tigers and Bronzies but I think a White would have my heart thumping.
I didn't realise you were a WA boy FD, ever venture north?

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 12:31pm

I was only there for a short time. I've ventured south, but never north. Maybe on my next trip.

I don't think I've ever seen a GWS in the wild. I'm disappointed I missed the one at Rottnest. I've mainly just seen reef sharks, grey nurses and the 'harmless looking' ones like wobbies. I saw a very large shark off Port Stephens once, but I have no idea what it was - maybe a tiger. I could only just make out the silhouette.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 7:22pm

It's the ones you DON'T see you gotta worry about.  Isn't that the saying?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 10:19pm

Classic Topic!

Do tell the time you got buzzed from a GWS out of the water. Adolescent, I think you said it was (FD)?

I've only enjoyed GWS's off the Neptune Islands. It was great jumping into a cage 15mins ahead of everyone else. I zen'd it the entire 2hr boat trip from Port of Lincoln. Listening underwater to Jail Break by AC/DC while behind steel bars, with a big black abyssal eye belonging to a 5m male beckoned me to dive deeper into it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 10:20am

That was Kingscliff, northern NSW. Not entirely sure about the shark ID, but there aren't many it could have been. I had just speared a Mulloway near 3rd bommie. It was on the rig line, hanging low near the bottom in a few meters of water. The shark got interested in it. I managed to get the fish in close and the shark hung round for a while. It was a long swim back to shore through the shallow white water, but I don't think it followed me all the way in.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 11:46am

That would be gnarly having a 'Whitey' stalk you. Adolescent Whities have the bite capacity for a human, but not a juvenile.

I was snorkling only off a point, but the little fishes let me know that something else was around. So I got my 50c to 5c butt out of the water. It was just  bit too quiet under there.
The following weekend, at the same point, my mate went spearing and got his catch-line taken from behind him and he was dragged 20m underwater by the Whitey before he managed to detach. Yikes!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 12:22pm

Where was that?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 3:41pm

South NSW Coast.

...then there was that time off Shelly Beach, Port Lincoln and I had x3 decent sized Kingfish suddenly cling to me like a protective cover. I got out asap! Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print