Send Topic Print
religion in schools (Read 6172 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
religion in schools
Oct 11th, 2007 at 12:22pm

Should religion be allowed in our schools?

Steiner education http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1185610176

Howard, Rudd speak to Christian audience http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1176401932/18#18

church and state, religious expression http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1176401932

Evolution v's Religion http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1167973400/16#16

PM gives extra $50m for school chaplains

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-gives-extra-50m-for-school-chaplains/2007/10/11/1191696045272.html

Prime Minister John Howard has announced an extra $50 million in funding for the government's program putting chaplains in Australian schools.

The extra funding makes a total of $165 million over three years committed launched by the federal government in October last year.

In making the announcement at Moorebank High School in Sydney's south-west, Mr Howard said 1,238 schools had been successful in the first round of funding, including Moorebank.

Mr Howard said he was very committed to the program.

Chaplains could be of any religious denomination, and the program was about counselling, morals and values, he said.

Mr Howard said 27 per cent of all schools in Australia would receive funding for a chaplain under the program.

"That is an astonishing response and it shows this program is meeting a public need."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

thomas

OzPolitic

Re: religion in schools
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 4:41pm

I think the whole idea of a chaplin works quite well in schools, where alot of the time students aren't getting much help from parents, or teachers, or friends (everyone knows how depressed teenagers are these days Tongue).
From my experience, they are generally really nice people who students tend to build really good relationships with, and can get a lot of help from.
This is coming from an atheist too, so this opinion is religious biased Tongue

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 11:10pm

I don't believe in "religion" per se, but I do believe the words of Jesus, Muhommad,Buddha etc. I believe they were all trying to get across the same concept and religion has distorted the true teachings.
I don't think banning the teaching of religion in schools is the answer. Teaching the children that one religion is right and another wrong, will ensure the problems we face today concerning religious wars and extremist factioning will continue to plague the world that our grandchildrens kids will live in........if there is still a world for them to live in.
Teach all religions in schools if any, and let the children choose their own path to salvation.

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 9:03am

jesus by saying that the only way to the father is through me was saying the same as the big M who describes christians in the Koran which he personally wrote as heathens who need to be killed Smiley

In schools they already teach the popular belief evolution which is not based on any real scientific method why not teach also about the popular belief of god?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 9:42am

That's what they are doing in Britain - teaching about both evolution and creationism in a separate class.

The only problem I see is that someone who is qualified to teach one will not be qualified to teach the other. They are fundamentally different branches of philosophy and trying to butt them up against each other is based on a false dichotomy.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 10:06pm

freediver wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 9:42am:
That's what they are doing in Britain - teaching about both evolution and creationism in a separate class.

The only problem I see is that someone who is qualified to teach one will not be qualified to teach the other. They are fundamentally different branches of philosophy and trying to butt them up against each other is based on a false dichotomy.

true, you would need two different teachers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 11:36am

It would still create the impression that people must choose between the two philosophies, which is not necessary, necessarily

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 6:50am

No, it's not necessary.
The kids can be ignorant unthinking fools and the teachers lie by ommission while filling their heads of times tables and the length of the Nile river.

Or they can question why and how we are here.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 8:57am

Unless it is a religous school, let the teaching of religious education be volutary, meaning decided by the parents, with those not involved gaining library time to work on projects, homework and the like.

As to school chaplins... hmmm.... we are talking about Protestant Chaplins are we not. I mean as a Commonwealth Nation with the Queen as our head of state and church, it could only be a Protestant Chaplin in our public schools yes? I wonder then how the Jewish, Catholic, Lutherian, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Muslims, Budists, Janists, Hindu's etc.... parents feel about their children being counselled in Protestant Values and Reason?

As a tollerant, secular, multicultural and some what enlightened society we seem to be excluding a lot of people from theological counselling services in our public schools.

In fact, we already have school counsellors, so I'm not even sure of the Protestant Chaplins need or purpose.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:09am

The Chaplain can be from any religion, probably even a secular organisation if there was a suitable one. It's just a matter of getting someone to take on the role.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 1:00pm

freediver wrote on Oct 18th, 2007 at 11:09am:
The Chaplain can be from any religion, probably even a secular organisation if there was a suitable one. It's just a matter of getting someone to take on the role.

Indeed... although most relate the Chapalin to Christianity don't they? I did at least.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 1:08pm

They probably had trouble coming up with a secular term. I didn't automatically associate wit with Christianity. I don't think it is an official position in a church. I think it might mean exactly what the new role is.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 8:28pm

I too equate chaplains to christianity.

Christianity = Chaplains
Judaism = Rebbe
Islam = Iman

Secularism = Guidance counsellors

"Chaplains could be of any religious denomination, and the program was about counselling, morals and values, he said."

I don't know why there have to be a religious denomination at all. It perfectly ok if it is a religious school.... but in secular ones guidance counsellors are quite capable of advising on morals, ethics and values.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 1:31pm

freediver wrote on Oct 17th, 2007 at 11:36am:
It would still create the impression that people must choose between the two philosophies, which is not necessary, necessarily

i disagree, seeing as they are both philosophies they could teach them in the same way university teaches philosophy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 3:03pm

they could teach them in the same way university teaches philosophy

I doubt they would be able to find enough objective people with the skills to teach it. There's only so much you can expect from high school teachers. I remember one of my biology teachers had enough difficulty with biology.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print