Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brisbane climate forum - Brown, Bartlett and Moore (Read 7913 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Brisbane climate forum - Brown, Bartlett and Moore
Oct 7th, 2007 at 1:50pm

Yesterday I was fortunate to attend a climate change conference in Brisbane. The senators Bob Brown (Greens), Andrew Bartlett (Democrats) and Claire Moore (ALP) were present. They were all kind enough to remain afterwards to answer questions. Barnaby Joyce cancelled at the last minute, while family first refused to attend.

I brought up the issue of carbon taxes with the three representatives present. Claire Moore referred me to Wayne Swan without being able to go into any detail. Bob Brown mentioned that Germany uses carbon trading for electricity and carbon taxes for transport (ie petrol), which was interesting, though his explanation that you can't use carbon trading for petrol is a little flawed (you just make the distributor rather than the customer responsible for emissions rights). Bob had that knack for ending a conversation quickly so that's about as far as I got. Andrew Bartlett seemed fairly interested. He thought that although all the well known parties were either vague on the issue or supported trading schemes, the detail of their policies were not yet firmly decided. I offered to lend him the support of this site if he spoke out in support of taxes, and extended the offer (via email) to the others present and a few who were not.

With the current bipartisan support for carbon pricing mechanisms, it is time to start the debate on the best way to achieve this. Without adequate consideration Australia is likely to follow the established trend and adopt inferior tools. Compared to taxes, carbon trading schemes will have negative consequences for the economy and the environment.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1191728697

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Brisbane climate forum - Brown, Bartlett and M
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 10:03am

I spoke to Larissa Waters (QLD Greens senate candidate) last night. She was also at the other meeting. She had been discussing the issue with other Greens people. I also got an email response from Bob Brown's office which contained more detail. The Greens are the only party to have considered the economic consequences of this decision, or at the very least are the only party that has been willing to communicate their views on the issue. This is very surprising given the attempts of the two major parties to demonstrate their economic credentials, and their tendency to have a form letter on just about everything. As far as I can tell, Labor and Liberal have based their policy on what will sound best in a fives econd media bite. I think Howard still plans to give long term permits away for free to whichever companies can ramp up emissions the most by 2012 ('grandfathering' as The Australian puts it).
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2007 at 11:33am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 8:16pm

Hi freediver.

That is interesting. I wish that I could've attended. However, distance is a fact.  Cheesy Are there details or transcripts available for the conference? I would be interested to read them. What was the purpose of the forum - implementation, economic impact, techonolgy, all of the above etc.?

Cheers!

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 11:32pm

There is a reason why your 'model' isn't being adopted...why do you think that is?

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 3:16pm

What was the purpose of the forum -

Communication mainly. It was a political debate, though they were asked to refrain from attacking and focus on their own policies.

There is a reason why your 'model' isn't being adopted...why do you think that is?

People react badly to the T word. (Tax) Plus there is a lot of genuine confusion. Trading appears on the surface to be more of a 'market based mechanism'. See here for more:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
email from Bob Brown's office
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 10:34am

Here is a copy of the email I got from Bob Brown's office, and my response:

Thank you for contacting Senator Brown; unfortunately his hectic
schedule prevents him from personally replying.

The Taxation section of the Australian Greens' Economics policy
specifies that we will implement a gradual and long term shift in the
tax system from work-based taxes to taxes on natural resources and
pollution including:

- a carbon tax levied on generators of mains-supplied electricity or
gas;

- a national carbon trading scheme; and

- other ecological taxes and charges at a level sufficient so that their
prices reflect the full environmental cost of their production, use or
disposal.

However, I have been advised that a trading system is preferred for the
following reasons;

Firstly, a cap and trade emissions trading system provides a higher
level of environmental certainty (in other words a government has a
higher degree of control over overall emissions levels - a critical
issue if international agreements are to be entered into).

Secondly, if the system is designed well, a trading should be more
economically efficient than taxes (achieving a certain amount of
emission reduction should cost less with emissions trading).

That said, unfortunately, it is possible to design a very bad emissions
trading scheme and in this case, it would be better to have a simple
carbon tax than a bad emission trading scheme, which is why many people
support emission taxes.

Additionally, there is the issue of transport; a carbon price of around
$25 per tonne would have a significant effect on reducing emissions from
stationary energy but virtually no effect on transport fuel consumption,
that is, it equates to just a few cents per litre.  Therefore, the
Australian Greens support a separate tax on transport fuels - based on
the carbon content of the fuel.

Please refer to
http://www.christinemilne.org.au/600_media_sub.php?deptItemID=370  for a
list of features that an emission should feature. Additionally, if you
require further information about this, I encourage to contact the
office of Senator Christine Milne, as she holds the Climate Change
portfolio on behalf of the Australian Greens (her contact details are
available at http://www.christinemilne.org.au/900_contact.php).

Kind regards,

Thank you for your response. Do you mind if I post it online?

Your policies of a carbon tax on electrcity suppliers and a general green tax shift are great. However I think your reasons for choosing carbon trading over taxes are based in error.

Your claim that trading schemes result in greater certainty is correct, but all you can really be certain of is that it is worse for the environment than taxes. The speed at which a tax scheme will reduce emissions is unpredictable, but will definitely be faster than a trading scheme. Furthermore, you can increase the certainty by linking it to mandatory emissions reductions target that triggers an increase in the tax if necessary (however unlikely). This ensures that the tax scheme is either as good as or better than the trading scheme.

Here is a list of world renowned economists who share my view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigou_Club

I also disagree with the claim that a trading scheme would be more economically efficient than taxes. Both taxes and trading schemes require government monitoring of emissions, so there is no saving there. This claim you make is often based on an assumption that 'market based mechanisms' are more efficient, but this is not the case where direct government monitoring remains necessary and where the government interferes in the market by controlling the quantity of an item available. See this link for more information:

"That said, unfortunately, it is possible to design a very bad emissions trading scheme and in this case, it would be better to have a simple carbon tax than a bad emission trading scheme, which is why many people support emission taxes."

That is certainly not why I prefer taxes, nor have I ever heard anyone else make this argument.

"Additionally, there is the issue of transport; a carbon price of around $25 per tonne would have a significant effect on reducing emissions from stationary energy but virtually no effect on transport fuel consumption, that is, it equates to just a few cents per litre."

This should be taken as a strong indication that emissions reduction measures should be targetted at stationary sources, as this is where it is cheapest to reduce emissions. You can't pick and choose where 'economic efficiency' matters. The environment doesn't care whether the reductions come from transport of stationary sources, but the economy certainly does.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Howard's climate fund comes under attack
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:47pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Howards-climate-fund-comes-under-attack/2007/10/22/1192940949507.html

The coalition's multi-billion dollar climate change fund has come under fire for being too far off and failing to encourage householders to save energy.

The federal government said it would earn billions of dollars a year from the sale of carbon pollution permits under its emissions trading system, with the proceeds going to develop clean energy technology and reimburse low-income households hit by higher power bills.

The national scheme, set to begin by 2011, aims to cut greenhouse gases by putting a price on carbon and auctioning pollution permits for trade.

"The proceeds from those auctions - those permit auctions - will, before long, run into billions of dollars every year," federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull said.

"It is absolutely a right thing for that revenue to be directed towards climate change efforts, whether it is to do with supporting clean energy or making sure that people who are less well off in the community are compensated," Labor environment spokesman Peter Garrett told reporters.

The Australian Greens said the fund should be used to make homes energy efficient rather than giving people cash for their power bills.

"Leaving people in energy inefficient houses and driving petrol guzzlers locks them into long-term energy poverty which no relief cheque will address," Greens climate change spokeswoman Christine Milne said.

The independent Climate Institute said the government's household assistance commitment was meaningless in the absence of carbon targets and timelines.

Groups representing conservationists, welfare lobbyists and consumers want energy efficiency gains to be made before the trading scheme started.

"Acting now will help with a smoother transition to a low-emission economy and avoid price shocks to consumers," Choice chief executive Peter Kell said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
ALP carbon policy
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 5:47pm

I just spoke to the office of my local ALP candidate. We spoke at length over the various merits of the two schemes. He seemed to prefer carbon trading, but said that the party had not 'fleshed out' those details. They have a report due out next year I think and they will take the advice of their economist. I should be getting more info in the mail.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:08am

I finally got a response from the coalition, after writing to my local member and several others like the environment minister. It said they were in caretaker mode so they couldn't comment. What utter BS.

Oh and IQ, the majority of economists agree with me on the carbon taxes issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print