Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Child abandoned. Possible cultural motivation? (Read 6186 times)
ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Child abandoned. Possible cultural motivation?
Sep 17th, 2007 at 6:09pm

Hi guys,

A small girl the age of three years old was abandoned at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne yesterday.

In case you're unfamiliar with the story...here's a link...
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22424505-661,00.html

Now... police say they don't know what the 'motive' of the 'father' actually was in dumping this girl.

I on the other hand think the abandonment was actually CULTURALLY motivated.

IF the girls ethnicity turns out to be Chinese... to those familiar with the Chinese culture... it is a common practice to send children to orphanages, or at worst kill them... if they turn out to be female... because 'men' are much preferred in the Chinese culture.

What does everyone think? Is there a chance that it was culturally motivated? Or have I missed a key point here?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Child abandoned. Possible cultural motivation?
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 6:55pm

The girl is three years old. Is it common to hold on to them for three years before dumping them for 'cultural reasons'?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:48am

Admittedly, I wouldn't imagine that it's very common. But it's not impossible. I've heard worse stories than this.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:58am

Is flying off to America and leaving your children behind another Chinese cultural tradition?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:18pm

Something amiss there.
A disasterous relationship breakup can result in that sort of thing .

Only by now, the mum would be coming forward.
The mum may be ..... in dire straits.

not good, not good

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:26pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:58am:
Is flying off to America and leaving your children behind another Chinese cultural tradition?

Yes. It's called 'abandonment' smart-@ss.

Thanks for trying to exaggerate it to make it sound stupid.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:29pm

You're the one trying to turn every news event into fodder for racist and anti-multiculturalism diatribes. You kind of jumped the gun a bit on this one, didn't you?

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 2:28pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:29pm:
You're the one trying to turn every news event into fodder for racist and anti-multiculturalism diatribes. You kind of jumped the gun a bit on this one, didn't you?

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2007 at 1:29pm:

EVERY newstory?

This is the first one I've done in ages.

Further:
1) This thread isn't racist.
2) I never criticized the Chinese for their culture (in this thread). In fact, I actually like Chinese culture in a lot of ways.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 2:47pm

You made an unfounded allegation that a person's ethnicity may be at the root of questionable or criminal behaviour. Where normal people would have seen a person doing something wrong, you saw an ethnic.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 6:21pm

i agree with you free diver, that was lame dt.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Body in boot thought to be Pumpkin's mum
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 7:50pm

Another Chinese custom DT?

I thought they had been looking for this woman amid fears for her saftey - yet it took them this long to find her in the boot of a car out the front of her house.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Body-in-boot-thought-to-be-Pumpkins-mum/2007/09/19/1189881579178.html

Police in New Zealand have found a body believed to be that of Anan Liu, the mother of the three-year-old girl abandoned by her father at a Melbourne railway station.

The body of an Asian woman was on Wednesday found in the boot of a car belonging to Ms Liu's husband, Nai Xin Xue, and which had been parked outside the family's Auckland home, police said.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 5:38pm

The angle from which i look at it is, Is this the kind of people we want migrating (or a better term, invading) to Australia? I dont think its cultural, but very common amongst non western peoples/societies. Poverty is the main cause followed by mental unstability.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 6:18pm

There are 680,000 Chinese residents in Australia (approx 3.4% of the total population). If child abandonment is a Chinese culture then the statistics must be staggering. How come we don't hear about a wave of Chinese girls being abandoned all over Australia?

Sure, in mainland China there are problems with girls being abandoned by their parents. Consider this, due to its massive population China has a one-child policy. Families with 2 or more children are penalised. They are either fined, denied privileges such has larger commission housing, food allocations, or even imprisioned. Often this is not the case in the cities but certainly in the rural areas. With only one child allowed its conceiveable that rural families will want a boy to help work the land instead of a girl. This "culture" is largely a product of an authoritarian Communist govt. It is not traditional Chinese culture. This is a very far-reaching and tenous connection the original poster (DT?) was trying to make.

Cheers!

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 3:18am

Acid Monkey wrote on Oct 18th, 2007 at 6:18pm:
There are 680,000 Chinese residents in Australia

680,000 TOO MANY!

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 9:44am

So tell me, which aspect of Chinese Australians do you dislike? Is it the fact that their eyes are different from yours, or that they don't swig beer until they're paralytic and proudly sport a beer belly? - Or is it just the fact that they might have an education or (perish the thought) actually be smarter than you?

What about Chinese people whose ancestors were here in the 19th century? Do they count? What about people who have some Chinese blood? - or does it depend on the shape of their eyes? - or the colour of their skin?

Excuse my asking, but I'm just trying to find out what makes an ignorant redneck tick. I grew up in the real outback, and count myself as Australian as they come. As far as I can see the thing that typifies Australians today is their individuality and their propensity to judge a person based on things that matter including how they apply themselves and how they deal with other people - and that has always been the case.

What about the 721,000 people who were born in Southern and Eastern Europe? Do you want to send them home too?  Why stop there? What about the 29.1% of the population that were born outside Australia - or the 62.9% of people whose parents were born outside Australia? Now they couldn't be true Australians, could they?

Maybe it's just the fact that they are different from you? If they were Chinese rednecks who didn't bother to get themselves an education, would they be acceptable to you?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print