Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Earth's health in bad shape: report (Read 5566 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Earth's health in bad shape: report
Sep 14th, 2007 at 11:30am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Earths-health-in-bad-shape-report/2007/09/14/1189276935599.html

More wood was removed from forests in 2005 than ever before, one of many troubling environmental signs highlighted in the Worldwatch Institute's annual check of the planet's health.

The Washington-based think tank's "Vital Signs 2007-2008" report points to global patterns ranging from rising meat consumption to Asian economic growth it says are linked to the broader problem of climate change.

"I think climate change is the most urgent challenge we have ever faced," said Erik Assadourian, director of the Vital Signs project.

"You see many trends in climate change, whether we are talking about grain production which is affected by droughts and flooding. Or meat production as livestock production makes up about 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions," he told Reuters in a telephone interview before the report's release.

Assadourian said the key message of the report was that unsustainable consumption patterns were responsible for climate change linked to carbon emissions and other ecological woes.

He said of the 44 trends tracked by the report, 28 were "pronouncedly bad" and only six were positive.

The trends range from the spread of avian flu to the rise of carbon emissions to the number of violent conflicts. The growing use of wind power is among the few trends seen as positive.

Some of the points highlighted in the report include:

- Meat production hit a record 276 million tonnes (43 kilograms per person) in 2006.

- Meat consumption is one of several factors driving rising soybean demand. Rapid expansion of soybean plantations in South America could displace 22 million hectares of tropical forest and savanna in the next 20 years.

- The rise in global seafood consumption comes as many fish species become scarcer. In 2004, people ate 156 million tonnes of seafood, the equivalent of three times as much seafood per person than in 1950.

- While US carbon emissions continue to grow, the fastest rise is occurring in Asia, particularly China and India.

Other analysts and think tanks have focused on different trends they say mean less cause for alarm. For example, they point out that while wood is being removed from forests on a global scale, many parts of Europe and North America have experienced reforestation in recent decades.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Earth's health in bad shape: report
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 12:01am

Other analysts and think tanks have focused on different trends they say mean less cause for alarm. For example, they point out that while wood is being removed from forests on a global scale, many parts of Europe and North America have experienced reforestation in recent decades.

It's easier to make a living finding fault wherever man has an influence. Guilt is a powerful donation factor...it works with other religions  Wink

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 5:37pm

It's easier to make a living finding fault wherever man has an influence.

I don't think so. There's always more money available to those who can justify 'business as usual'.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 5:41pm

There's always more money available to those who can justify 'business as usual'.

Environmentalism is a business

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 4:25pm

And oil and coal isn't? Or is the big bad multinational environmentalist business with it's huge income playing the game unfairly? Could you flesh out this conspiracy theory for us?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 6:51pm

And oil and coal isn't?

Did I say that?

Or is the big bad multinational environmentalist business with it's huge income playing the game unfairly? Could you flesh out this conspiracy theory for us?

No conspiracy theory- I just recognise that environmental agencies are not just a picture of altruism that you like to paint. There are three sides to every story

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 6:47pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Sep 15th, 2007 at 5:41pm:
There's always more money available to those who can justify 'business as usual'.

Environmentalism is a business

never a truer word spoken.

there are many scientists around the world who are making alot of money out of our percieved environmental problems.

I am not saying we have no problems many are just overstated.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 6:54pm

This is absurd. For any scientist, the real money is in working for the big businesses. Working in an academic institution on problems of interest to society at large, but for which there is little direct private funding, means a lower salary and putting up with a lot of political crap. To suggest that they are in it for the money is absurd. You have no evidence for it either. There is zero evidence that scientists recieve less money if they question global warming. In fact, plenty have recieved far more money by questioning it.

It's like saying that no-one who recieves a salary can be trusted and we should instead put our faith in ignorant bystanders who have a passing interest in the issue. It a lame conspiracy theorist copout.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 7:50pm

No one implied that one was a better business model than the other except you  Roll Eyes just that it is a business and a growing one staffed by the extremely passionate and ideological

It's about the growing 'industry' that is environmentalism and the influence they can have. A few degrees of separation from environmental extortion in some instances.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 8:05pm

So what your saying is, that it isn't some kind of extortion, just that you can use the two in the same sentence?

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2007 at 9:48pm

So what your saying is, that it isn't some kind of extortion

Read it again

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:53am

It's looks to me like you are saying that it isn't actually extortion. You are just trying to make an ambiguous connection while giving yourself an 'out' to back away from your words if anyone disagrees with you.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 2:17pm

I have no control over what you think it looks like. The connection is there. The ambiguousness is also there because I recognise that not all environmental agencies are the same.

Perhaps you should try the same instead of gazing up at them from the lofty pedestals you eagerly place them on?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print