Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beattie busted lying? (Read 11741 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Beattie busted lying?
Sep 3rd, 2007 at 2:58pm

Beattie's sleep claims 'irresponsible'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Beatties-sleep-claims-irresponsible/2007/09/03/1188783120835.html

A claim by Queensland Premier Peter Beattie that he only needs five hours shut-eye a night is "totally irresponsible" and "very likely untrue", sleep experts say.

Scientists at an international sleep conference say politicians often make "questionable" claims about operating well on less sleep that mislead the public.

Mr Beattie has claimed he never sleeps in and functions on adrenaline, saying "why would you want to sleep your life away?"

"I understand Mr Beattie thinks he can operate just fine on five hours a night but I find that incredibly doubtful," said Professor Ron Grunstein, co-convener of worldsleep07 in Cairns and a sleep researcher at the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research at the University of Sydney.

"He's either doing himself a lot of harm, he's napping during the day or he's not telling the truth."

Truckies admit nodding off while driving

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Truckies-admit-nodding-off-while-driving/2007/09/03/1188783120239.html

About 40 per cent of truck drivers have admitted to falling asleep at the wheel at least once in the past three months, a sleep conference has heard.

A survey of 255 professional interstate truckies has found that almost all are very aware of their own sleepiness on the road, but this has very little bearing on whether they choose to take a break.

Instead, work regulations, management pressures and the need to meet schedules and deadlines were more likely to dictate the drivers' behaviour on long haul trips, according to research by Monash University presented at worldsleep07 in Cairns.

Lead researcher, PhD student Ray Misa, said this implied that fatigue detection technology used by some companies to monitor a driver's tiredness may be ineffective.

"Our results showed that he could be aware of how sleepy he is but this won't stop him driving," he said.

Lack of sleep tied to kids weight gain

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Lack-of-sleep-tied-to-kids-weight-gain/2007/09/03/1188671836219.html

Boys are sleeping less than girls and this lack of shut-eye is translating into fat, a study of Australian kids shows.

A survey of 1,000 Adelaide children presented to an international sleep conference has found that boys aged five to 10 spend significantly less time in bed than girls of the same age.

While both sexes were going to bed at the same time, boys were waking up much earlier on both school days and weekends.

And this less time in bed seems to be directly linked to weight gain, according to weight and sleep data collected from parents at 23 schools.

"We found that the males that slept less on school days tended to be heavier than the girls who slept less," said lead researcher Sarah Biggs, from the University of Adelaide.

"We're not exactly sure why but it might be that boys are falling short of a critical period of sleep that could be impacting on weight."

The relationship between sleep and weight is still being explored but researchers believe kids who sleep less may gain weight because they have more time to eat or because they're too tired to exercise.

A third theory gaining momentum is that lack of sleep triggers changes in two key metabolic hormones - the brain hormone leptin, and ghrelin, made by the stomach - that have a knock-on effect on weight.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Beattie busted lying?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 6:18pm

I doubt Beattie would lie about that.  There may have been surveys on truckies and young males - but they need to do a survey on ambitious leaders - whether in government or in corporations.

I have heard many workaholic males say they only need a few hours sleep a night.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:42pm

I think Bill Clinton once bragged that he only slept 4 hours a night.

Not very healthy if true.

Keep this in mind though...

The older we get.. the less sleep we need. Maybe since Beattie is older... he needs less sleep?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 7:08pm

winston churchill used to sleep only a few hours a night.  used to have cat naps during the day.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 8:37pm

There are a lot of work-aholics out there.
They drive to strive and settle for nothing less.
Dedication?
Ambition?
Power high?

Alan Jones boasted he worked 16 hour days.

I worked 11 straight 16 hour days (sleeping in van, outside workplace). I was fatigued, hallucinating, vague in the mind - basically 'exhausted'. Its a silly thing to do - but it helps if you do something you really enjoy (my job, was just for money).
High responsibility jobs demand such long working hours.

But the price is high too.
When these people 'retire' - its as if they have retired with another 15 years aged on top of them. They look far older than what they are.

Same with athletes who push themselves too much. When they get older... it all catches up with them.  Tongue

btw - Beattie only lied when he was in the job. When he retired, all the truths came out.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print